Page 132 of 217 FirstFirst ... 3282122127128129130131132133134135136137142182 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by notcalvin View Post
    I notice the wiki is missing a list of what is for sure lost and what is maybe lost after the upgrade. For example, I think text message history is lost no matter what (attachments can be backed up) but memos are only lost if you can't manage to update without deleting your profile?

It's a 2600 message thread here, so just a quick question - is it accurate to say this list does not exist anywhere?

If that is true, if people would post to the thread what they know about what does or does not stay, I'll try to add that list to the wiki.
    Remember this not a true UPGRADE nor UPDATE. Redoctoring your phone is reinstalling the webOS from scratch and is likely to delete everything you have. Lookup Palm website for information about what is saved in your Palm Profile backup.

You may Use the Save/Restore application to backup your data and restore after the webOS 2 'Upgrade.'
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    I notice the wiki is missing a list of what is for sure lost and what is maybe lost after the upgrade. For example, I think text message history is lost no matter what (attachments can be backed up) but memos are only lost if you can't manage to update without deleting your profile?

It's a 2600 message thread here, so just a quick question - is it accurate to say this list does not exist anywhere?

If that is true, if people would post to the thread what they know about what does or does not stay, I'll try to add that list to the wiki.
    Along with that it would be very nice to have a high level list of things that just don't work in 2.x. For example, there is no equivilant to the 4x4 launcher patch and a few apps (like scoop) don't work. Some people may prefer to hold off on the update until these things are resolved.

I know there is a bug list, but these aren't exactly bugs... just differences.

Maybe you should start the section in the Wiki rather than ask the question there
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by zalmy2 View Post
    i tried this ton of times in the last week and it just not working
    First thing First:
    1) Do you see the "Palm Novacom" service in your computer services console?
    2) When you connect your phone to your computer, do you get any prompt to install driver or hardware detected?
    3) When you plugin your phone to your computer, do you see this (pictured below)?
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
  5. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Bad cable? You wouldn't be the first...
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Along with that it would be very nice to have a high level list of things that just don't work in 2.x. For example, there is no equivilant to the 4x4 launcher patch and a few apps (like scoop) don't work. Some people may prefer to hold off on the update until these things are resolved.

I know there is a bug list, but these aren't exactly bugs... just differences.
    The Developers and experts are working their tail off to make most of the patches, if not all compatible with webOS 2.1.0. The wiki does list core components not working thus far.

I'm sure you are aware this upgrade is purely optional and up to each individual discretion
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by ASASEABAN View Post
    The Developers and experts are working their tail off to make most of the patches, if not all compatible with webOS 2.1.0. The wiki does list core components not working thus far.

I'm sure you are aware this upgrade is purely optional and up to each individual discretion
    I know they are working their tails off. I really really appreciate the effort that has gone into it. I didn't mean that as a complaint at all.
    Tried already with 2 different cables yes I have novacom installed first time I plugged it in it came up a screen new hardware to install but the comupter couldn't find the software to install it and no I don't see any usb screens it always powers up normal. I did all the rules the right way. When I connect the usb the computer actually make some noises and also comes up in my computer as removable disc but I try to open it says please install disk
    When I connect the usb the computer actually make some noises and also comes up in my computer as removable disc but I try to open it says please install disk
    Ignore all that Windows nonsense. You don't need Windows to know about it to do this.

Do EXACTLY this:

1. Take the USB cable out of the computer.
    2. Shutdown the phone to complete power off.
    3. Hold the Volume Up button with the phone's power OFF and the USB cable UNPLUGGED.
    4. *THEN* plug the USB cable into your computer while still holding Volume Up. The phone will power up on its own and enter Recovery Mode.

Then hit Next in the Doctor when it becomes available (assuming you have novacom installed AND running).

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Ignore all that Windows nonsense. You don't need Windows to know about it to do this.

Do EXACTLY this:

3. Hold the Volume Up button with the phone's power OFF and the USB cable UNPLUGGED.
    4. *THEN* plug the USB cable into your computer while still holding Volume Up. The phone will power up on its own and enter Recovery Mode.

Then hit Next in the Doctor when it becomes available (assuming you have novacom installed AND running).

M.
    I did this and the next option doesn't get available
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post

Do EXACTLY this:

M.
    Listen to this! And make sure you're holding the volume up button until you see the special screen!
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Well I did all this guys and it still dowsnt help
    ASASABAN: I know its optional, and its really tempting, and I'm trying to be a responsible, careful consumer cause I know if things go wrong its 'on me' so to speak. Like a lot of people, I depend on my phone, but I don't want to miss out of the

I do want to add the section to the wiki, but I thought maybe I could contribute a little too, to show my appreciation by giving back a little. I don't really know what is good manners on a wiki, so I didn't want to just plop in an empty section, I wanted to come here and hopefully figure out a few things I could put into it.

It's a very nice wiki already, and I think the people involved want it to be sort of 'comprehensive', so I'm trying to move that forward.

:^)

So I appreciate your suggestion to check what is backed up in the palm profile normally. I can summarize that and perhaps add a disclaimer about various patches, etc?

I guess the main thing is not to write anything that isn't true.
    That's not the correct order:

1. Take cable off
    2. Take battery off
    3. Connect cable to computer
    4. Connect cable to Pre (a big battery with a question mark should appear, if not, press power button)
    5. Press volume up (keep it pressed)
    6. While keeping the vol up button, insert battery.

Tricky but it works.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  15.    #2635  
    The recovery wiki page has the procedure to do a recovery boot.

It would be great if people just pointed to that (and added clarifications to that if it is not already 100% crystal clear), instead of causing more confusion by posting their own version of the procedure in this thread.

Wiki pages are there for a reason, please use them.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16.    #2636  
    Well I did all this guys and it still dowsnt help
    Instead of writing many many small posts saying it doesn't work, how about you do the following:

1) Read the recovery wiki page five times from top to bottom.

2) Perform the procedure contained on that page, step by step.

3) Before and after each step, take a photograph that shows exactly what you are doing.

4) Post the list of steps you took, and the corresponding before and after photographs in an *SINGLE* post in this thread.

5) DO NOT POST AGAIN IN THIS THREAD UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE THIS.

To put it bluntly, I don't believe that you are performing the steps correctly, so you need to prove that you are. Photographic evidence is the only evidence that I will accept at this point, cause I don't trust that you are reporting your situation correctly.

I know those are harsh words, but any other way of trying to assist you is having no success at the moment, so an intervention is required.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hi everyone,

First of all I'd like to say the work being done here is incredible. My ageing O2 UK Pre- doesn't feel so old now thanks to MetaDoctor scripts... I'm very grateful and will be donating!

Unfortunately though now, it looks like my GPS doesn't work.

I have trawled through the last 10 pages searching for "gps" and couldn't see anyone saying anything about it so apologies in advance if this is a repost.

I have followed the instructions on the wiki concerning GPS but that hasn't resolved my issue...

There's a bit in the wiki that says: "To enable GPS functionality it may be necessary to go to the "Location Services" application, make sure that "GPS", and "GPS Location Services" are enabled." However, when I go to "Location Services" I don't have any "GPS" and "GPS Location Services" options to enable which confused me a bit. Am I missing something here?

Also, if I go to the phone app and dial "##477#" it doesn't launch anything that allows to click "Get Fix". Instead I get a little message in the notification area saying "USSD request successful" and then a larger "pop-up" in the notification which reads:

"USSD Services
    UNKNOWN APPLICATION"

with the options to click "Ok" or "Cancel".

I remember when I had 1.4.5 I could launch that "Get Fix" app, so bit confused as to why it won't launch now.

Worth noting, GPS is on (according to the device menu) and Google Maps won't load; not even the maps... I just get a "white card" on the screen.

Can anyone help out here? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by mlove99 View Post
    There's a bit in the wiki that says: "To enable GPS functionality it may be necessary to go to the "Location Services" application, make sure that "GPS", and "GPS Location Services" are enabled." However, when I go to "Location Services" I don't have any "GPS" and "GPS Location Services" options to enable which confused me a bit. Am I missing something here?
    Those options are in the application menu. After launching the "Location Services" application tap the top left of the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by zarGon View Post
    Ah, thanks. After installing 2.1 the phone doesn't boot further than the boot image.

Of course.

My problem is that my phone doesn't boot correctly.

I have followed the instructions on WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals.
    - Copied all the files from the USB drive
    - Installed Cygwin and MetaDoctor on my laptop (Windows 7)
    - Installed the Palm SDK
    - (Also installed webOS Quick Install to make sure I had the Novacom drivers)
    - [It took a very long time to turn backups off, so I cancelled that] (So, if I'm correct, my Palm profile is not erased)
    - I ran "./scripts/meta-o2-pre-2.1.0" in Cygwin
    - After a while, webOSDoctor was launched. I installed 2.1 with the doctor.
    - Afer finising installing 2.1, the phone boots up webOS 2.1 and from that moment on it reboots.

The result:

Installing 2.1 ends up in a boot loop. And, it won't stop till I pull out the battery.

I have doctored it back to 1.4.5. That works, the phone boots up and I get to choose a language and log in to my Palm profile. Installing 2.1 after a doctored 1.4.5 has yet again resulted in a boot loop.
    I have exactly the same problem. :-( I created the webOSDoctor several times and tried to install the webOS 2.1 from different machines (Win XP laptop and Macbook) but still the boot loop occurs.

Thanks for any help!
    honzaaa
    Quote Originally Posted by mlove99 View Post
    Ĥ

It's in the application (top left) menu under Location Sevices.