Page 117 of 217 FirstFirst ... 1767107112113114115116117118119120121122127167 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
  1. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can change the profile to 'may get 2.1.0' until we get more reports.

We don't have enough reports of direct 1.4.5 to 2.1.0 profile conversion with real data yet.

-- Rod
    Done. I also included instructions on doing a "git pull" in step 3, as it seems a lot of people are inadvertently using old scripts when creating a 2.1.0 meta-doctor a second time. I just learned how to do this today, so I thought I'd share.
    To the person asking, unfortunately Palm profile backup isn't including the custom learned words dictionary list.. mine is wiped out after upgrading from 2.1 to 2.1. I was relieved however to see it save my SMS messages and launcher pages/headings.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Is there any chance that this is actually a change that HP has made on their servers to (covertly) allow "legacy" devices to have a 2.1 profile?

Disclaimer: I don't understand the modifications that were made to get this working, so maybe this is a dumb question.

There's enough going on here "all at once for every carrier" that I suspect they might have relaxed their "allowed carrier/OS" definitions a bit.

Whatever it is, I'll take it.
    Curious about upgrading your Legacy Pre to webOS 2.1? READ THE WIKI
  4.    #2324  
    Discussion of the use of QPST for PRL updates is not allowed in this thread. In general, 99.9999% of people who have it have obtained it illegally. See the first post for the thread policy. Depending on PreCentral's policy, you may be able to use a different thread that is not in the WebOS Internals sub-forum. Their policy is up to them. This thread's policy is clear.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/04/2011 at 03:23 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    To the person asking, unfortunately Palm profile backup isn't including the custom learned words dictionary list.. mine is wiped out after upgrading from 2.1 to 2.1. I was relieved however to see it save my SMS messages and launcher pages/headings.
    Same for me. My daughter will love that sms is saved.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Same for me. My daughter will love that sms is saved.
    Thanks... I had a look around the filesystem to see if I could find the new dictionary location to back it up, but didn't find anything interesting.
  7.    #2327  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Thanks... I had a look around the filesystem to see if I could find the new dictionary location to back it up, but didn't find anything interesting.
    It's in DB8 format in /var/db

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    It's in DB8 format in /var/db

-- Rod
    Thanks! I'll make a quick back up before re-upgrading.
  9.    #2329  
    Thanks! I'll make a quick back up before re-upgrading.
    Note that /var/db8 is not a file, it is a disk partition. I would not recommend manually touching the files in there.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleFart9 View Post
    I think this question was asked before and the answer was essentially, "We think there might be problems in this case but we're not sure yet." ...

What happens if somebody doctors back to 1.4.5 if they doctored in such a way that the online palm profile shows 2.1.0. Will doctoring back cause the palm profile update to go back to 1.4.5, or is this a one-way street?
    I suspect it's a one-way street, but I'd be interested if anyone knows anything definitively...
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Note that /var/db8 is not a file, it is a disk partition. I would not recommend manually touching the files in there.

-- Rod
    I quickly came to a similar conclusion after having a little look around in there... I guess I'll leave it as is and just manually re-enter my text shortcuts as I go. Thanks!
  12.    #2332  
    I quickly came to a similar conclusion after having a little look around in there... I guess I'll leave it as is and just manually re-enter my text shortcuts as I go. Thanks!
    The good news is that we now may be able to use command line database access tools to extract and re-insert data from that database. Look for updates in Save/Restore in the future (not this week or the next - too busy).

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    The good news is that we now may be able to use command line database access tools to extract and re-insert data from that database. Look for updates in Save/Restore in the future (not this week or the next - too busy).

-- Rod
    Good to know for the future, particularly in the (very, very unlikely) event that we receive any further webOS Doctor updates.

Re-doctoring my o2 UK Pre- to try to get 2.1 in my Palm Profile as well as in Device Info, so hopefully there'll be another success report very soon.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Make sure to run a 'make clobber' before expecting changes to these scripts to work. I thought that 'make clobber' was inside the meta scripts, but it doesn't look like it is. I got the new verizon meta script and ran it expecting a profile change to 2.1.0 on palm.com/profile. It didn't change a thing... that was because I had an old pam-build-info file sitting inside the build directory that kept getting included. Running 'make clobber' fixed it and I am sitting at 2.1.0 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    I suspect it's a one-way street, but I'd be interested if anyone knows anything definitively...
    If it is a one-way street, I wonder what the ramifications would be of running webOS 1.4.5 on a 2.1.0 profile. It seems that, besides the lack of access to 2.x apps, running webOS 2.1.0 with a 1.4.5 profile is fairly problem free, so maybe the reverse would be the same . . . ?
  16. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post
    Make sure to run a 'make clobber' before expecting changes to these scripts to work. I thought that 'make clobber' was inside the meta scripts, but it doesn't look like it is. I got the new verizon meta script and ran it expecting a profile change to 2.1.0 on palm.com/profile. It didn't change a thing... that was because I had an old pam-build-info file sitting inside the build directory that kept getting included. Running 'make clobber' fixed it and I am sitting at 2.1.0 now.
    Can you elaborate on this so that I may include it in the wiki? Specifically, what command do you run and from what directory, and when should this be run?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Can you elaborate on this so that I may include it in the wiki? Specifically, what command do you run and from what directory, and when should this be run?
    In my opinion, any time you run a 'git pull' you should run a 'make clobber' as well. This is all done from the meta-doctor directory.
  18.    #2338  
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post
    The scripts do not change anything inside the build directories other than the new meta-* directory that is created from scratch each time.

You should treat the unpacked doctors in the build directory as read-only areas.

-- Rod
    Just to throw this out there, there was a couple times in my testing where I landed a profile of 1.31.50, while trying to get to 2.1.0. Apps that required 1.4.5 were not downloaded automatically, but when I reverted back to a trusted 1.40.50 profile all of my apps correctly downloaded. This was all on OS 2.1.0.

Also, I think that 1.4.5 may have support for launcher pages. Back in the day I had the advanced launcher pages app, and for some reason had to doctor my phone. I was surprised that without any patches all of the launcher pages I had set up were restored to their correct states.

With this in mind, I suspect that if one were to revert from 2.1.0 to 1.4.5, that most if not all profile data would correctly be restored, mainly launcher pages and accounts. All apps would download, except for apps that require a 2.x profile. The apps that aren't downloaded are still accessible, however, if you were to revert back up to 2.1.0. I'm not sure about sms data, probably wouldn't restore in 1.4.5 since there is no code for it in the doctor.

That's my hypothesis. Does anyone want to be a guinea pig?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

20.    #2340  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Just to throw this out there, there was a couple times in my testing where I landed a profile of 1.31.50, while trying to get to 2.1.0. Apps that required 1.4.5 were not downloaded automatically, but when I reverted back to a trusted 1.40.50 profile all of my apps correctly downloaded. This was all on OS 2.1.0.

Also, I think that 1.4.5 may have support for launcher pages. Back in the day I had the advanced launcher pages app, and for some reason had to doctor my phone. I was surprised that without any patches all of the launcher pages I had set up were restored to their correct states.

With this in mind, I suspect that if one were to revert from 2.1.0 to 1.4.5, that most if not all profile data would correctly be restored, mainly launcher pages and accounts. All apps would download, except for apps that require a 2.x profile. The apps that aren't downloaded are still accessible, however, if you were to revert back up to 2.1.0. I'm not sure about sms data, probably wouldn't restore in 1.4.5 since there is no code for it in the doctor.

That's my hypothesis. Does anyone want to be a guinea pig?
    I would expect that anything that is stored in the PalmDatabase.db3 file is a one-way street from 1.4.5 to 2.0

Other items that are stored in files that have not dramatically changed their format from 1.4.5 to 2.0 may be ok. I personally would not trust the subtle errors that could result on a device I was going to use as my main phone.

Put simply, if you think there is any chance that you will want to go back to a 1.4.5 profile, then you should not use the procedure in this thread.

-- Rod