Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is the thread for those people who have a Pre 2 with a Sprint comms board in it (but have not yet gotten the software side of things to work) to discuss how the use of the Verizon Pre 2 doctor may help.

If you do not have a Pre 2 with a Sprint comms board in it, please refrain from polluting the thread with questions about how to do it, or when it will be ready. The moderators will be vicious in removing such off-topic posts.

This thread is *not* about taking unmodified Verizon Pre 2 hardware and making it run on Sprint, and discussion about that topic will also be viciously removed (since the means to do such involve practices that for 99.9999% of the time are used for illegal activities, and we don't want to be put in a situation where we have to explain to a jury of non-technical people that there may be a case where it is done for a legitimate purpose).

Note that using Cygwin on Windows is no longer a supported MetaDoctor option. The official Wiki pages now require you to use WUBI on Windows and follow the Linux instructions after that. The option for using Cygwin on Windows will not be reinstated.

This thread must only refer to items that are obtainable from publicly released webOS Doctors. Any discussion of leaked webOS doctors that have not been publicly released by HP or any other information that is restricted by an NDA will be reported and removed.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/11/2011 at 10:57 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2.    #2  
    Verizon Pre 2 doctor can be found using Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

It can be unpacked using the scripts/unpack-doctor script in the meta-doctor repository.

You will find the roadrunnercdmafw-verizon_1.0.1-17_armv7.ipk file in the carrier subdirectory.

The DMSETS value for Verizon Pre 2 is "{'sets':'1435','1439'}"

The DMMODEL and PRODoID value is "P102EWW"

The DMCARRIER value is "Verizon"

The PN value is "180-10809-04"

WR carrier tarball:
    audiod-config-eu_1.0-10_roadrunner.ipk
    com.palm.app.stk_1.0-60_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.service.contacts.sim_1.0-20_all.ipk
    com.palm.sfrvvm_1.0.1-14_armv7.ipk
    crotestcastleplus-images_1.0-2_armv7.ipk
    palmcustomizationinfo-wr_1.0-79_all.ipk
    roadrunnerumtsfw-row_1.0.1-1022_armv7.ipk
    sfrwisprd_1.0.0-7_armv7.ipk
    sweatshop-wr-roadrunner_1.0-20_armv7.ipk
    Verizon carrier tarball:
    amazonservice_1.1-7_armv7.ipk
    com.nim.app.vznavigator_1.0.0-23_armv7.ipk
    com.nim.vznavigator_1.0.0-23_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.amazonstore_1.0-73_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0-1.1.4_armv7.ipk
    com.skype.app.skypesearchdirectory_1.0-12_armv7.ipk
    crotestcastleplus-images_1.0-2_armv7.ipk
    palmcustomizationinfo-verizon_1.0-100_all.ipk
    roadrunnercdmafw-verizon_1.0.1-17_armv7.ipk
    skyped_1.0-27.5_armv7.ipk
    sweatshop-verizon-roadrunner_1.0-28_armv7.ipk
    Also from the Verizon webOS tarball:

roadrunnercdma_fw.tar
    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 02/17/2011 at 08:22 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  3.    #3  
    The planned avenue of attack would be:

1) Unpack both the verizon and wr doctors
    2) Extract the cdma fw from the verizon doctor webos and carrier tarball
    3) Insert the cdma fw into the wr doctor webos and carrier tarballs
    4) Use meta-doctor to pack the extended wr webos and carrier tarballs back into the wr doctor

At no point should you attempt to put Verizon carrier apps on a device with a Sprint modem card as part of this procedure.

I'm intentionally being vague in these instructions, so that only experts try and follow them - there will be no "Step-by-step HowTo's" in this thread ...

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 02/17/2011 at 08:21 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Verizon webOS 1.4.5 (Pre+) base modem firmware:

-rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 7799977 amss.mbn
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 40 amsshd.mbn
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 147530 oemsbl.mbn
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 40 oemsblhd.mbn
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 464 partition.mbn
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 44389 qcsbl.mbn
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 915 qcsblhd_cfgdata.mbn
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 10 fwversion.txt
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 105012 NPRG6800B.hex
    Verizon webOS 2.0.1 (Pre2) base modem firmware:

-rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 7898281 amss.mbn
    Differences between Verizon 1.4.5 castle and Verizon 2.0.1 roadrunner base modem firmware:

diff -r 1.4.5/NPRG6800B.hex 2.0.1/NPRG6800B.hex
    2293,2294c2293,2294
    < :108F3000202020436F6D70696C6564204D6179203D
    < :108F4000313420323031302031343A31343A34380F
    ---
    > :108F3000202020436F6D70696C6564204E6F762031
    > :108F4000303420323031302031383A30333A313712
    Binary files 1.4.5/amss.mbn and 2.0.1/amss.mbn differ
    Binary files 1.4.5/amsshd.mbn and 2.0.1/amsshd.mbn differ
    diff -r 1.4.5/fwversion.txt 2.0.1/fwversion.txt
    1c1
    < CC1.6(535)
    \ No newline at end of file
    ---
    > RC1.7(557)
    \ No newline at end of file
    Only in 1.4.5: oemsbl.mbn
    Only in 1.4.5: oemsblhd.mbn
    Only in 1.4.5: qcsbl.mbn
    Only in 1.4.5: qcsblhd_cfgdata.mbn
    What each of these files mean (from How to unpack and repack NB0 file - Android Wiki):

FILENAME_PARTITION Partition file
    FILENAME_QCSBLHDCFG QCSBL header file
    FILENAME_QCSBL QC Secondary Bootloader
    FILENAME_OEMSBLHD OEMSBL header file
    FILENAME_OEMSBL OEM Secondary Bootloader
    FILENAME_AMSSHD AMSS header file
    FILENAME_AMSS Advanced Mobile Subscriber Software
    For comparison, here is the Sprint webOS 1.4.5 (Pre) base modem firmware:

-rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 7799977 amss.mbn
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 147530 oemsbl.mbn
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 40 oemsblhd.mbn
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 44389 qcsbl.mbn
    -rwxrwxrwxreviewdaemon/None 915 qcsblhd_cfgdata.mbn
    and all those files are identical to the ones in the Verizon 1.4.5 (Pre+) base modem firmware.

Next, we look at the carrier-specific modem firmware files ...

verizon-1.4.5 vs verizon-2.0.1:

Binary files verizon-1.4.5/01.PRI and verizon-2.0.1/01.PRI differ
    Only in verizon-2.0.1: CUST.PRI
    diff -r verizon-1.4.5/build_no.txt verizon-2.0.1/build_no.txt
    1c1
    < Phoenix_BuildNo:36
    ---
    > Phoenix_BuildNo:51
    verizon-1.4.5 vs sprint-1.4.5:

Only in verizon-1.4.5: 01.PRI
    Only in sprint-1.4.5: 02.PRI
    Only in sprint-1.4.5: CUST.PRI
    Only in sprint-1.4.5: Sprint_60664.prl
    diff -r verizon-1.4.5/build_no.txt sprint-1.4.5/build_no.txt
    1c1
    < Phoenix_BuildNo:36
    ---
    > Phoenix_BuildNo:39
    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 02/17/2011 at 11:26 PM.
    BLAH!

Beat me to it. I was going to start going through this stuff. Glad to see its in the process.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    BLAH!

Beat me to it. I was going to start going through this stuff. Glad to see its in the process.
    Add to it what you find.

-- Rod
    Will try. I'm extremely excited about the possibility, but my time has been exceptionally limited the past few months, probably less so as time goes on. However, I'll definitely see what I can do in the coming weeks. I assume it won't take that long, but if it does, I'll jump in whenever I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I'll definitely see what I can do in the coming weeks.
    Sounds like you got a job with HP jk.. feel free to delete my post now.
    I had hoped to do a test run of this last night but time was not on my side. So this afternoon/evening will be my new goal to see how/if this works.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I had hoped to do a test run of this last night but time was not on my side. So this afternoon/evening will be my new goal to see how/if this works.
    Make sure it's a true disposable device, this is uncharted waters.

-- Rod
    Here's the process i took...

I kept a stock roadrunner.xml with all of my sprint pre- tokens in it. I've used this same file for all doctor's i've made up to this point.

I took the verizon pre2 doctor, and followed the process for a standard meta doctor. What i did though, and this probably didn't make a difference, was kept the doctor naming the same as the pre2 on sprint guide. (webosdoctorp102ueuna-2.0.1.jar) Set the device as pre2, carrier was WR. Moved the .xml file to the meta-doctor/build/prexxx/webOS/ folder. Packed the doctor up and ran that.

And thats about it. Texts/calls/mms/data all work fine. 9.9.9 issue still present, and i get an error when trying to purchase paid apps from the catalog.

EDIT: Well this is weird... Now the phone app won't launch. It shows the sprite over the phone icon like you tapped it, but the app card doesn't show up. I can enter a number through just type, and hit the call button, and the call connects and rings, but it just stays on the just type search page...
    Last edited by brennan7; 02/18/2011 at 03:16 PM.
  12.    #12  
    BTW, you can use the CUSTOM_XML argument to point to your modified xml file ...

Please paste the full set of Makefile variables and command line you used.

-- Rod
    Code was as follows

sudo -s

aptitude install git git-core patch build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-source-2.6.31 sun-java6-bin virtualbox-guest-additions virtualbox-ose-guest-x11

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    mkdir ~/meta-doctor/downloads/
    cd ~/meta-doctor/downloads/

wget -c http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre2/...onwireless.jar

mv web<TAB> webosdoctorp102ueuna-wr-2.0.1.jar

cd ..

nano Makefile
    Edit Makefile

########################################
    ## START OF AREA FOR END USER CHANGES ##
    ########################################

# Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:
    # BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    # BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE = 1
    ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES = 1
    # DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 1
    # DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    # ADD_EXT3FS_PARTITION = 2GB
    # ADD_EXTRA_CARRIERS = 1

# Select "pre", "preplus", "pixi", "pixiplus" or "pre2".
    DEVICE = pre2

# Select "wr", "sprint", "verizonwireless", "bellmo", "telcel" or "att".
    CARRIER = wr
    make unpack patch
    Given your edited roadrunner.xml is on your desktop

mv /home/USERNAME/Desktop/roadrunner.xml /home/USERNAME/meta-doctor/builds/pre2-p102ueuna-wr-2.0.1/webOS/

make pack
    Swapped PRDoID to p102eww as well as DMMODEL.
    Last edited by brennan7; 02/21/2011 at 01:48 PM.
    Okay I am cautiously optimistic as these steps worked for me.

1. I used the current Pre 2 WR doctor and made the meta Dr. with the token file overwrite using the token set from the Show Properties app "comm board swap". I changed the DMMODEL to P102UNA manually. I also did not bypass activation. I prefer choosing all of the make file options upfront and only making one meta Dr.

2. Then I added the roadrunnercdma_fw.tar and roadrunnercdmafw-verizon_1.0.1-17_armv7.ipk from the VZW Dr. to the appropriate wr.tar and webos.tar in my newly created Meta Dr.

3. I ran the Dr. with no errors, and activated the Pre 2 on Sprint with an active profile.

4. Upon running through some tests, I discovered that the images for the interactive diagnostic tests were missing so I installed crotestcastleplus-images_1.0-2_armv7.ipk from root to remedy that. It all works fine now.

EDIT the firmware on the Sprint pre minus comm board prior to the process was CC1.6, the firmware version after the process is now RC1.7

Phone, SMS, data, wifi etc. all appear to work fine. The update network and Prl buttons are not present though in the phone preferences.

It does have the 9.9.9 profile issues of not being able to see apps in the app catalog that REQUIRE 1.4.x or later, and cannot purchase new apps. However you can re-download any apps that you have already purchased on that profile at no extra charge. The easy answer to that is buy the apps on the Pre2 before you do the swap, so after the swap you can just download them.

That's it. It is intentionally vague until the process can be independently verified by someone else who knows what to do. Once the process is verified, I may do a step by step guide.
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 02/19/2011 at 01:50 AM.
  15.    #15  
    OK, that's an instance of the "Keep DMMODEL as P102UNA" path, with sprint modem firmware added. The 9.9.9 is an expected outcome of that path (DMMODEL+DMCARRIER == combination the Palm server does not recognise, so marked as 9.9.9).

Next we need someone to experiment with the "Keep DMMODEL as P100EWW" path, to see if we can get app catalog access success ...

There is also the path of telling the profile server that you have a P102EWW and DMCARRIER = verizon, to see if that fixes the 9.9.9 on profile upgrade from 1.x to 2.x ...

Lots of parallel experiments to do. Let's make sure we keep good records of what everyone does.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 02/19/2011 at 03:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There is also the path of telling the profile server that you have a P102EWW and DMCARRIER = verizon, to see if that fixes the 9.9.9 on profile upgrade from 1.x to 2.x ...
    I attempted this path. I could not log in with my original 1.4.5 profile information, i kept receiving an error that the profile could not be loaded at this time...

Logging in with a profile that was freshly created on a 2.0 device, i still receive the 9.9.9 error.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    I attempted this path. I could not log in with my original 1.4.5 profile information, i kept receiving an error that the profile could not be loaded at this time...

Logging in with a profile that was freshly created on a 2.0 device, i still receive the 9.9.9 error.
    Did you adjust /etc/palm-build-info before logging into your profile?

-- Rod
    Next we need someone to experiment with the "Keep DMMODEL as P100EWW" path, to see if we can get app catalog access success ...
    Lots of parallel experiments to do. Let's make sure we keep good records of what everyone does.

-- Rod
    Ok, this one has now been done by @Nkbme followed identical steps as I did in my post above, used two clean devices. Only difference was using P100EWW as the DMMODEL.

Same results. App cat works but no purchasing and nothing that is flagged to require 1.4.x or later shows up.

Everything works as advertised with phone, sms, mms, wifi, data etc.
  19.    #19  
    To attempt to get app cat success, the /etc/palm-build-info has to match the device you are imitating.

The trick is to watch the ls-monitor messages during the profile login - everything passed to the profile server has to match a known valid combination, potentially including the DMSETS value.

-- Rod
    To attempt to get app cat success, the /etc/palm-build-info has to match the device you are imitating.

The trick is to watch the ls-monitor messages during the profile login - everything passed to the profile server has to match a known valid combination, potentially including the DMSETS value.

-- Rod
    Can that be edited after the fact?
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast