Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Yes and it is working, I have numerous reports of folks doing it and having success.

Although you already have a working Sprint Pre 2 correct?

If so then don't bother your brother. Meta Dr. your original Pre 2 tokens back to your Pre 2. (whichever ones you replaced in your process to convert).

Then run the stock WR Dr. on your Pre 2.

The reason you don't need to go back to the Pre - step is because your comm board firmware is already updated to work in webOS 2.x.

So try it and report back.

There are some of us who were so excited when we did our original conversions that we forgot to save our Pre 2 tokens. So there is also a process of regression we are going to test to get them up and running as well. When I know what works I will post it (ie. which tokens MUST be written to Pre 2 values).
    I was one of those excited ones let me know how it works out for you
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I just wrote a LONG post that got lost in the interwebs, so I sum up now

Using the Method below
    1. Update your Pre minus to 2.1
    2. Swap the comm board
    3. Run the stock unlocked wr Pre 2 dr.

Will it result in the following?
    1. Works on sprint for calling and data
    2. 1.4.5 profile will work and download purchased apps (is this a one way street, or can you return to 1.4.5 after going to 2.0.1 with this method
    3. Data works (3g)
    4. Sprint Navigation works?

-----
    Also, once I get my pre2 in, I am willing to jump in and help the testing process, so just to make sure. What do I need to do to be sure I am setup to begin testing?

1. Use show properties to email me my sprint pre- tokens.
    2. Use show properties to email me my new PRE2 tokens. (does this need to be activated with a sim first?)

And then when I test if I get a 9.9.9 then what was the doctor you need to re-doc with to fix that?

Lastly, are there any other things I need to do or NOT do in order to be able to test without perm breaking things?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    I just wrote a LONG post that got lost in the interwebs, so I sum up now

Using the Method below
    1. Update your Pre minus to 2.1
    2. Swap the comm board
    This is the process that has been tested and confirmed several (7 I know of) times in the last 48 hours.

Will it result in the following?
    1. Works on sprint for calling and data
    2. 1.4.5 profile will work and download purchased apps (is this a one way street, or can you return to 1.4.5 after going to 2.0.1 with this method
    3. Data works (3g)
    4. Sprint Navigation works?
    1. Yes
    2. Your profile will already be 2.1 if you followed the steps from your first question. Can you go back? IDK try it and let us know. Some have.
    3. Yes
    4. There is no officially released version of Sprint Nav that works for webOS 2.x But if you had a version for 2.x and knew how to install it, then yes it would work wonderfully.

Also, once I get my pre2 in, I am willing to jump in and help the testing process, so just to make sure. What do I need to do to be sure I am setup to begin testing?

1. Use show properties to email me my sprint pre- tokens.
    2. Use show properties to email me my new PRE2 tokens. (does this need to be activated with a sim first?)

And then when I test if I get a 9.9.9 then what was the doctor you need to re-doc with to fix that?

Lastly, are there any other things I need to do or NOT do in order to be able to test without perm breaking things?

Thanks!
    Just do what you outlined in the top of your post. You won't be swapping any tokens so you don't need to do anything to save them. And you won't get a 9.9.9 profile following the steps you posted.

If for some reason it doesn't work for you, just put the proper comm boards back in the proper phones and you are good to go.

That's it... have fun and take your time doing the hardware swap. Just swap the back bezel and comm board, don't disconnect the black and white wires it isn't necessary. Six T-5 screws, some slide and snap clips a couple of ribbon cables and the volume rocker is all you need to undo.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I noticed that the Verizon Pre 2 on HPs website is $40 less than the GSM version. Does anyone know if this process will with with this phone as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    I was one of those excited ones let me know how it works out for you
    Ditto! I thought the tokens were supposed to be really device specific, but the things I keep hearing tell me they're not. Way cool! (I thought I made a big mistake not extracting my Pre 2 keys) I'm glad I learned how to meta-doctor anyway, even if it wasn't actually necessary anymore.
  6.    #166  
    Rod, would it be possible to incorporate an alpha script into the meta Dr. that would DL the Verizon Pre 2 Dr. and the WR Pre 2 Dr. and either set a custom webos tarball to place the Verizon webOS.tar in the WR dr or simply pull the roadrunnercdma fw.tar from the VZW dr and add it to the webos.tar in the WR dr.

This would potentially make the swap a one Dr. process.
    I've just written that script. Who is ready to test it?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    OK... I can state that on a Sprint Pre 2 that used the spoof process at the start of the thread and had a 1.4.5 profile, now has a 2.0.0 profile with all of the same functionality it had before, full app cat access and no issues WITHOUT re-writing the unique Pre 2 tokens.

So if you already have a Sprint Pre 2 that is spoofing, you fix it like this.

1. Make a meta Dr using the WR Pre 2 Dr. Set the make file to disable model and carrier check. and overwrite these tokens in the roadrunner.xml file

<Val name="DMCARRIER" action="overwrite" value="ROW"/>
    <Val name="DMMODEL" action="overwrite" value="P102UNA"/>
    <Val name="PRODoID" action="overwrite" value="P102UNA"/>
    <Val name="PN" action="overwrite" value="180-10840-00"/>

Run that Dr. then follow it immediately with the Stock Unlocked GSM Pre 2 WR Dr.

Obviously if you have your original Pre 2 tokens you could (and I would if I had mine) replace the same set of tokens you wrote during the conversion process.

When it is done log in with your profile and you should be good to go.

Profile version 2.0.0
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I've just written that script. Who is ready to test it?

-- Rod
    I don't have a fresh Sprint comm board to test this on or I would do it.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I've been told that my pre2 is on the way (the request was sent in on friday) Once I get it, I am willing to test subject.
    Are you ready... no, you are not over simplifying. This is the very thing we are trying to confirm. It seems to be working for some.
    almost ready...
    waiting for unlocked gsm Pre2 dev one
    OK...

Run that Dr. then follow it immediately with the Stock Unlocked GSM Pre 2 WR Dr.

Finally downloading all my purchased apps. Thanks Rich.

It took Recovery Mode for me to be able to get the 2nd DR going...(Novacom problems perhaps?)

Thanks Again.

-Manny
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя

When it is done log in with your profile and you should be good to go.

Profile version 2.0.0
    Will I have to wipe my backups again or will I just be able to log back into the profile, you think? I just spent a while rebuilding my profile and I'd hate to destroy it again....

I've moved to the profile I had all along on my wifi-GSM pre2 which had about the same # paid apps as my sprint profile... (I had seasons on Pre2 and regular angry birds on my pre, hah!)

Did you try with the WR palm-build-info?
  13. Cin
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Great then this is what you do if you want to assist.

1. Update your Pre minus to 2.1 using this link

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

That really just gets you the firmware you need for the comm board to work in 2.x

2. Swap the comm board (back bezel and comm board, takes 6 T-5 screws, a few slide/snap in clips and removing the volume rocker) from Pre minus to Pre 2.

If it comes up with Sprint in the left and EV on the right at the language selection screen and then begins downloading your paid apps after your profile login... you are Golden.

So after wasting some time trying to get a new T5 screwdriver (lost mine), I got everything done and up and running from start to finish. No messing around with tokens, no editing XML files, no changing build-info, nothing.

I used version 2.0.1 for my P102UNA model Pre2. Tossed WebOS 2.0 on my Pre Minus, swapped comm boards, doctored my Pre2, and everything just worked. Currently downloading all my apps.

I should note that, like Mannyman, my Pre2 wouldn't allow me to Doctor it with the new comm board at first. The Doctor just didn't see the device at all, though Windows said it was connected. Had to put it into recovery mode. First time the Doctor hit 4%, instead of booting from the RAMDisk the Doctor made, it booted normally into the First Use app for some reason. Second time worked. To be more specific with what I did the second time: I went through all of the Doctor's steps until it told me to connect my phone. Then I held down the volume up rocker and plugged it into USB, and then I pressed and held the power button while still holding the volume rocker, which seemed to finally get the Doctor to take.

A few general notes about the whole process for less experienced people:
    • If using Cygwin, make sure you have wget, zip, unzip, and python installed to avoid errors with Meta-Doctor
    • Those black and white cables for the comm board are a real pain because they're longer for the GSM Pre2 than the CDMA Pre. I wound up removing the little metal box around them and looping them a little to make them fit in the space. Seems to hold fine, though I wouldn't recommend it to anyone less experienced with working with tiny wires as I was worried about accidentally breaking off the connector head.
    • I couldn't quite get the left top edge of the keyboard to snap back in for some reason. But you can't see it unless you're looking for it, and it's barely noticeable (though the slide is *slightly* less smooth now than before). I might reopen it and try to snap it back in properly later.

Otherwise it was mostly pain free. According to my profile page at palm.com:
    Model: Palm Pre CDMA (SPRINT)
    Serial: PG9U0AUA[censored]
    WebOS Version: 2.0.0

I should note that System Info says v2.0.1 and I used the stock Unlocked 2.0.1 Pre2 Doctor, so I think that's just a bug in the Palm Profile page.

Additionally, I got the bug where WebOS wouldn't let me sync my Google Calendar with it when I updated my Pre Minus, but when I formatted the Pre2, it grabbed my Google Calendar just fine, so maybe a fix for that bug is to redoctor?

Anyway, in summation: Completely successful conversion

Thanks to everyone who put the tools together for this of course. Sending a donation to WebOS Internals as I type this

Hope my feedback on the process helps.
  14.    #174  
    Great then this is what you do if you want to assist.

1. Update your Pre minus to 2.1 using this link

That really just gets you the firmware you need for the comm board to work in 2.x

2. Swap the comm board (back bezel and comm board, takes 6 T-5 screws, a few slide/snap in clips and removing the volume rocker) from Pre minus to Pre 2. Make sure you keep the backplate with the antennae with the comms board.

If it comes up with Sprint in the left and EV on the right at the language selection screen and then begins downloading your paid apps after your profile login... you are Golden.
    BTW, I've simplified this even further:

1. Swap the comm board (back bezel and comm board, takes 6 T-5 screws, a few slide/snap in clips and removing the volume rocker) from Pre minus to Pre 2.

2. Flash your Sprint Pre 2 to 2.0.1 using this link

and the ./scripts/new-meta-sprint-pre2-2.0.1 script (will be renamed to just ./scripts/meta-sprint-pre2-2.0.1 once it is well tested).

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  15.    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cin View Post
    Those black and white cables for the comm board are a real pain because they're longer for the GSM Pre2 than the CDMA Pre. I wound up removing the little metal box around them and looping them a little to make them fit in the space. Seems to hold fine, though I wouldn't recommend it to anyone less experienced with working with tiny wires as I was worried about accidentally breaking off the connector head.
    You should always move the backplate that those wires are connected to (which contains the antenna) along with the comms board. You should not separate them. Then you don't get this problem.

You should contact the author of whatever instructions you were following to request that they update them to make this clear.

-- Rod
    I should note that, like Mannyman, my Pre2 wouldn't allow me to Doctor it with the new comm board at first. The Doctor just didn't see the device at all, though Windows said it was connected. Had to put it into recovery mode. First time the Doctor hit 4%, instead of booting from the RAMDisk the Doctor made, it booted normally into the First Use app for some reason. Second time worked. To be more specific with what I did the second time: I went through all of the Doctor's steps until it told me to connect my phone. Then I held down the volume up rocker and plugged it into USB, and then I pressed and held the power button while still holding the volume rocker, which seemed to finally get the Doctor to take..
    yeah, what he said
    I tried so many times I wouldn't have documented it right anyway......
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
  17. Cin
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You should always move the backplate that those wires are connected to (which contains the antenna) along with the comms board. You should not separate them. Then you don't get this problem.

You should contact the author of whatever instructions you were following to request that they update them to make this clear.

-- Rod
    Ah, I was actually following instructions for the Pre to Pre+ swap, and didn't realize the issue until it came up. I was trying to avoid touching any more than I had to during the process as it was my personal phone (I know, I know, it's stupid to do so with an alpha process, but I live a block away from sprint and figured worst case I'd buy a dumb phone for like $50 till I could ebay over a broken Pre Minus to try again with). Thankfully I'm experienced enough to make it up as I go along if need be :P
  18.    #178  
    Ah, I was actually following instructions for the Pre to Pre+ swap, and didn't realize the issue until it came up. I was trying to avoid touching any more than I had to during the process as it was my personal phone (I know, I know, it's stupid to do so with an alpha process, but I live a block away from sprint and figured worst case I'd buy a dumb phone for like $50 till I could ebay over a broken Pre Minus to try again with). Thankfully I'm experienced enough to make it up as I go along if need be :P
    Well, even that procedure should tell people to swap the backs, cause there are CDMA and GSM Pre and Pre+ devices.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    So is there an physical com board swap process that is the best one to follow? (since one at least seems to be missing that step)
  20.    #180  
    So is there an physical com board swap process that is the best one to follow? (since one at least seems to be missing that step)
    I am currently reviewing one that another developer has written. Be patient for a day or so.

-- Rod