Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool2 View Post
    Pre (SPRINT) PG9U0AUA 9.9.9 Yes

Okay, even after a full erase and a new profile my device is getting 9.9.9 and having those app issues.

Gonna redoctor it and see what happens.
    I believe you must log into a 1.4.5 install with that profile after you've gotten the 9.9.9 in order to fix the 9.9.9 issue.
    Actually, I misspoke--

I got everything working FINE but I think I had done "first use" for the app catalog AFTER I put the 2.0 palm-build-info in to try and fix my original profile (I've given up on that) so it turned my device to 9.9.9

I fixed it by using the technique from another guide (erase backup, erase phone, log into profile) with the original sprint palm-build-info from my meta doctor. This works-- I was able to install facebook and it worked correctly.

As far as my meta doctor recipe, here is what I did exactly--

-Used this to unpack the vzw 2.0.1
    sudo make CUSTOM_MODEL_LIST=P100EWW CUSTOM_CARRIER_LIST=Sprint CUSTOM_BUILD_INFO=palm-build-info ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE=1 DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON=1 DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON=1 CUSTOM_WEBOS_DMSET=base CUSTOM_CARRIER_DMSET=a clobber unpack patch
    -Copied my sprint tokens into roadrunner.xml (I used the Pre+ instructions as a guide, used the homebrew app that extracts them for me)
    -Copied the values from Rod's #2 method on page 3 of this thread into their respective files in the build/pre2-102eww-verizonwireless-2.0.1 -- This included me copying a carrier folder from an unpacked version to modify the install.xml there. I'm assuming the way metadoctor works is that it will take things from the build root and override them in the new doctor. If I'm wrong, this could be the step I messed up. I deleted the verizon IPKs (except for the ones that seemed to be core) because I didn't know if they would try to install or not.
    -Created a palm-build-info in the meta-doctor root with the contents from rod's post
    -Packed the doctor with the following command:
    sudo make CUSTOM_MODEL_LIST=P100EWW CUSTOM_CARRIER_LIST=Sprint CUSTOM_BUILD_INFO=palm-build-info ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE=1 DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON=1 DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON=1 CUSTOM_WEBOS_DMSET=base CUSTOM_CARRIER_DMSET=a pack
    -Used a makefile as follows:

# BYPASS_ACTIVATION = 1
    # BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP = 1
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE = 1
    ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES = 1
    # DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 1
    # DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE = 1
    # ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE = z
    # ADD_EXTRA_CARRIERS = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE = 1
    # ADD_EXT3FS_PARTITION = 2GB

# Select "pre", "preplus", "pixi", "pixiplus" or "pre2".
    DEVICE = pre2

# Select "wr", "sprint", "verizonwireless", "bellmo", "telcel" or "att".
    CARRIER = verizonwireless

# Supply a different boot logo if you wish.
    CUSTOM_BOOTLOGO = scripts/WebOS-Internals.tga
    So my question now-- What palm-build-info can I use (to novacom into the phone) now that I have the app catalog working correctly? When I search for "seasons" it gives me some crazy broken html in the search results.

I was using this method from the 2.1 guide with the VZW palm-build-info instead, but that 9.9.9'ed my phone. When I went to app catalog after I did that, it prompted me for EULA so I may have forgotten to run it when I was in 1.4.5 on that profile. Is this something I should try again? or should I use a different palm-build-info from wr or something?
    novacom run file://usr/sbin/rootfs_open -t
    novacom put file://etc/palm-build-info < palm-build-info-unmasqed
    novacom run file://sbin/reboot
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I was also able to use a stock WR doctor after a swapping a com board from a Sprint Pre that had been updated to 2.1.0 into an unlocked GSM Pre2.

I have full app catalog access and can see 2.0 apps like Voice Memos.
  5.    #145  
    Quote Originally Posted by crgunn View Post
    I was also able to use a stock WR doctor after a swapping a com board from a Sprint Pre that had been updated to 2.1.0 into an unlocked GSM Pre2.

Yeah, one of the reasons why I've been holding off doing a step-by-step for Sprint Pre 2 is because we haven't yet got to the bottom of reports like yours.

It's possible that Palm has enabled something on the servers which makes things easier for us ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by crgunn View Post

I can also verify this is working for me.
    "We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work."
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yeah, one of the reasons why I've been holding off doing a step-by-step for Sprint Pre 2 is because we haven't yet got to the bottom of reports like yours.

It's possible that Palm has enabled something on the servers which makes things easier for us ...

-- Rod
    I have a brand new dev device headed my way and when it gets here I will probably pull my current Pre minus comm board from it's comfortable Pre 2 home and put it in the new Pre 2 and run the stock Dr and see what happens.

I am curious if the specific firmware version makes a difference. Does it have to be 1.7 or will 1.8 work (as I know that it is out there)? I mean, I know 1.8 works in webOS 2.x but will the profile still be 2.0.0 and everything work.

The beauty of this is that if it works, all of these phones should still get updates from HP as they are pushed out and not have to worry about meta Dr's forever.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I am curious to try this as well. Would you have to flash Pre2 back to original tokens and start over to try this? Talking with Sirataxero he cautioned me againist trying unlocked original doctor and not taking sprint comm board out. I know it is research but it is so time consuming and tedious during the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I am curious to try this as well. Would you have to flash Pre2 back to original tokens and start over to try this? Talking with Sirataxero he cautioned me againist trying unlocked original doctor and not taking sprint comm board out. I know it is research but it is so time consuming and tedious during the week.
    In my experience you would not need too.. My Pre2 was on sprint from the outdate step by step thread(on a new profile). I went from that to flashing the stock unlocked doctor and my old 1.4.5 profile signed in and restored perfectly. Everything works great.
    "We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work."
    Well I can confirm you can swap sprint comm board without flashing tokens. I had sprintified my Pre this weekend but after some discussion in mojo messenger and user reported he had access without the flashing. (Much easier and less doctoring) I put the GSM board back in device and flashed original tokens back to Pre2 to make it stock again. I then put sprint comm board in Pre2 ran the unlocked doctor (webosdoctorp102ueuna-wr20.jar) and was able to sign into my profile and it autodownloaded all my previous purchased applications. I am also now able to see Music Remix, that is the only app that I couldn't see over the weekend using the other method. I also have data, can send and receive texts, and mms.
    so reading above = hypothetically if I use

1. unlocked GSM Pre 2
    2. sprint pre- running 1.4.5 => metadoctor to 2.1.0

I can just swap comm boards and be good to go? Or i am oversimplyifying this. (i.e. no token exchange needed)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    so reading above = hypothetically if I use

1. unlocked GSM Pre 2
    2. sprint pre- running 1.4.5 => metadoctor to 2.1.0

I can just swap comm boards and be good to go? Or i am oversimplyifying this. (i.e. no token exchange needed)
    Are you ready... no, you are not over simplifying. This is the very thing we are trying to confirm. It seems to be working for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankdavis View Post
    In my experience you would not need too.. My Pre2 was on sprint from the outdate step by step thread(on a new profile). I went from that to flashing the stock unlocked doctor and my old 1.4.5 profile signed in and restored perfectly. Everything works great.
    Frank, can you confirm a couple of things for us?

1. What shows up in your carrier, model and does your serial number begin with PG9U0... in your device info app?

2. What does your profile report at palm.com/profile?

This will help us know what is the "magic" if you will that makes it possible. Is it the Stock palm build info, is it all of the original tokens matching the configuration that the palm build info says it is, etc. So answer as soon as you can. This possibility could really teach us a lot. Thanks.
    This is confusing to me-- Wouldn't you need the correct tokens for the battery to charge using the Sprint board? Or are the battery tokens secure hashes of some other tokens?

Maybe the unlocked nature of the WR removes some of this security...
  15.    #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool2 View Post
    This is confusing to me-- Wouldn't you need the correct tokens for the battery to charge using the Sprint board? Or are the battery tokens secure hashes of some other tokens?

Maybe the unlocked nature of the WR removes some of this security...
    The battery tokens are a challenge/response pair. It doesn't matter which pair you have, as long as they are a matched pair.

The locked or unlocked nature of the modem is irrelevant.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. Cin
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I'd like to help out with testing if I can.

I have an unlocked Pre2 with serial number beginning with PG9U0AUA and a "stock" Sprint Pre Minus (It has some patches on it but it's running the latest stock Sprint OS and the normal CDMA firmware, etc).

I'm fairly handy with hardware, have taken apart my fair share of mp3 players and used to do enterprise hardware support for desktops. And I'm decent with Linux though I admit I'm a bit rusty with scripting.

Is there any update process you guys would like me to try in order to see it Palm has made an update to their servers to make this process easier for us? I imagine my setups pretty common so it should yield a decent baseline for other users. And I've been wanting to do the Pre2 to Sprint conversion since I got it, so I figure I might as well perform it and help gather some data on the process if I can.

I'm home sick from work today so let me know if there's any particular process you'd like me to test out. And if anything, I can wait till the weekend.

Thanks, and thanks for all the hard work you guys have put into this.
    Last edited by Cin; 03/01/2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cin View Post
    I'd like to help out with testing if I can.

I have an unlocked Pre2 with serial number beginning with PG9U0AUA and a "stock" Sprint Pre Minus (It has some patches on it but it's running the latest stock Sprint OS and the normal CDMA firmware, etc).

I'm fairly handy with hardware, have taken apart my fair share of mp3 players and used to do enterprise hardware support for desktops. And I'm decent with Linux though I admit I'm a bit rusty with scripting.

Is there any update process you guys would like me to try in order to see it Palm has made an update to their servers to make this process easier for us? I imagine my setups pretty common so it should yield a decent baseline for other users. And I've been wanting to do the Pre2 to Sprint conversion since I got it, so I figure I might as well perform it and help gather some data on the process if I can.

I'm home sick from work today so let me know if there's any particular process you'd like me to test out. And if anything, I can wait till the weekend.

Thanks, and thanks for all the hard work you guys have put into this.
    Great then this is what you do if you want to assist.

1. Update your Pre minus to 2.1 using this link

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

That really just gets you the firmware you need for the comm board to work in 2.x

2. Swap the comm board (back bezel and comm board, takes 6 T-5 screws, a few slide/snap in clips and removing the volume rocker) from Pre minus to Pre 2.

3. Run the stock unlocked wr Pre 2 dr.

If it comes up with Sprint in the left and EV on the right at the language selection screen and then begins downloading your paid apps after your profile login... you are Golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Great then this is what you do if you want to assist.

1. Update your Pre minus to 2.1 using this link

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

That really just gets you the firmware you need for the comm board to work in 2.x

2. Swap the comm board (back bezel and comm board, takes 6 T-5 screws, a few slide/snap in clips and removing the volume rocker) from Pre minus to Pre 2.

3. Run the stock unlocked wr Pre 2 dr.

If it comes up with Sprint in the left and EV on the right at the language selection screen and then begins downloading your paid apps after your profile login... you are Golden.
    Is this really the process that is being tested/confirmed?

If so its time to steal my pre- back from my brother
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    Is this really the process that is being tested/confirmed?

If so its time to steal my pre- back from my brother
    Yes and it is working, I have numerous reports of folks doing it and having success.

Although you already have a working Sprint Pre 2 correct?

If so then don't bother your brother. Meta Dr. your original Pre 2 tokens back to your Pre 2. (whichever ones you replaced in your process to convert).

Then run the stock WR Dr. on your Pre 2.

The reason you don't need to go back to the Pre - step is because your comm board firmware is already updated to work in webOS 2.x.

So try it and report back.

There are some of us who were so excited when we did our original conversions that we forgot to save our Pre 2 tokens. So there is also a process of regression we are going to test to get them up and running as well. When I know what works I will post it (ie. which tokens MUST be written to Pre 2 values).
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Rod, would it be possible to incorporate an alpha script into the meta Dr. that would DL the Verizon Pre 2 Dr. and the WR Pre 2 Dr. and either set a custom webos tarball to place the Verizon webOS.tar in the WR dr or simply pull the roadrunnercdma fw.tar from the VZW dr and add it to the webos.tar in the WR dr.

This would potentially make the swap a one Dr. process.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast