Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I pledge to all Pre 2'ers wanting to go Sprint:

I will write a great step-by-step and include everything someone needs to know to achieve success if someone "in the know" will share with me the information.

I realize most people have jumped ship for the larger crowd of Pre 1's and I understand that. But I will step up for the tiny group of us that have Pre 2's and a Sprint comms board. I can write a guide that would make it easy enough for anyone including my mom to do this project (no scripts needed) but once again I need some brave souls with time to step forward and give me the details.

sigh...[putting T-5 screwdriver away, kicking dirt walking home]
    Completing the procedure required updating the modem firmware.

The modem firmware required was not in any legally-released webOS doctor until we recently got the Verizon Pre 2 doctor which included the updated CDMA firmware.

No-one withheld information from you that they were able to share. They were (and still are) under an NDA, and would prefer not to break a legally enforceable contract with HP/Palm for developer access just cause someone else wants to update their phone before there is a legal way to do it (which there is now).

Does that make it clear enough?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2.    #122  
    That is extremely misleading to title something a "Step-by-Step Conversion Guide" and leave out an important step that renders your phone useless.
    At the time the first post was written, it was not known that there was a step missing, cause the device on which it had been tested already had updated modem firmware via another means (which is not able to be shared publicly, since it is under NDA).

Just an aside - the tone of your posts is concerning. You might want to look at that ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    All I did was swap comm. boards and Im up and running with Sprint on the Verizon Pre 2. The standard Verizon rom activated my phone with no issues and my profile loaded all my settings and applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Dude... I told you what you needed. I noted it earlier in this thread. You copy the two verizon CDMA firmware ipk's into the webos.tar and wr.tar (hint, they came from the webos.tar and verizon.tar) and it will work. I thought I made it pretty clear.

When the thread was made WE DIDN'T REALIZE WE HAD SOMETHING OTHERS DIDN'T TO MAKE IT WORK.

If you would be patient for a few days I will have a step by step guide that does everything you need.

But nobody is here to hold your hand. So do what you want at your own risk.

EDIT: BTW It's the scripting that makes the process easier, otherwise there are so many steps to making this all work properly.
    SirataXero's Step by step guide was created 2 months ago but he had just updated it two weeks ago so I thought it would be good.

I don't need hand holding, I can cook if I have the recipe. All I'm asking for is the recipe. I admit I'm not familiar with the file structure of the doctors and don't know what information is in what file since I'm new to them. So if it says on the file name "verizon CDMA firmware" I'll know that's where to go. But if it has a funky name, it won't be as easy.

pastorrich1 thank you for helping but honestly it seems there are incomplete guides, posts, hints at making this work scattered all over the forums with one person saying use this file and another person saying use another along with a "super secret" group according to rothoof that I have to join in order to get the real information but no straight up honest post about making this work. And that is where my frustration is coming from so I apologize for the tone to Rod and anyone else that took offense. I'm just looking for the help to get this done right so I don't have to keep chasing windmills like I've been doing. I hope this makes sense and you understand.

Once I get the correct information I'd love to help out everyone by posting the exact steps using the correct files in an easy manor on how to do it.
  5.    #125  
    SirataXero's Step by step guide was created 2 months ago but he had just updated it two weeks ago so I thought it would be good.

I don't need hand holding, I can cook if I have the recipe. All I'm asking for is the recipe. I admit I'm not familiar with the file structure of the doctors and don't know what information is in what file since I'm new to them. So if it says on the file name "verizon CDMA firmware" I'll know that's where to go. But if it has a funky name, it won't be as easy.

pastorrich1 thank you for helping but honestly it seems there are incomplete guides, posts, hints at making this work scattered all over the forums with one person saying use this file and another person saying use another along with a "super secret" group according to rothoof that I have to join in order to get the real information but no straight up honest post about making this work. And that is where my frustration is coming from so I apologize for the tone to Rod and anyone else that took offense. I'm just looking for the help to get this done right so I don't have to keep chasing windmills like I've been doing. I hope this makes sense and you understand.

Once I get the correct information I'd love to help out everyone by posting the exact steps using the correct files in an easy manor on how to do it.
    You can blame the NDA for everything you have experienced.

Now that we have a solid masquerade technique, we can create some scripting for it and make this easier. Then you can definitely help by updating the official wiki page to document *that* procedure. Documenting anything before that is counterproductive.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can blame the NDA for everything you have experienced.

Now that we have a solid masquerade technique, we can create some scripting for it and make this easier. Then you can definitely help by updating the official wiki page to document *that* procedure. Documenting anything before that is counterproductive.

-- Rod
    Just let me know what I can help with.
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    All I did was swap comm. boards and Im up and running with Sprint on the Verizon Pre 2. The standard Verizon rom activated my phone with no issues and my profile loaded all my settings and applications.
    Wow... that is cool! I suppose that is because all of the tokens are still verizon tokens so your phone is communicating with the Sprint network because of the Sprint comm board but the Palm App cat system sees your phone as a completely legitimate Verizon Pre 2. So you have access to everything, including 2.x only apps, like voice memos.

I think for now the majority of people making the swap here are people with unlocked GSM Pre 2's which don't just swap over. So we have this evolving process to get us going well.

I am curious if you go to Device Info what version your firmware reports. Would you mind posting it?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  8.    #128  
    Wow... that is cool! I suppose that is because all of the tokens are still verizon tokens so your phone is communicating with the Sprint network because of the Sprint comm board but the Palm App cat system sees your phone as a completely legitimate Verizon Pre 2. So you have access to everything, including 2.x only apps, like voice memos.
    Yep, that would operate exactly as you have described.

-- Rod
    Hey Folks,

I've been a little out of the loop for a while. I just caught wind of this thread and the confusion my "step-by-step" post has caused. I'm extremely sorry if my post was misleading or if you feel lied/cheated to. I truly did not mean it that way, and as stated before, I didn't know what had caused it to work was something under NDA. I just assumed I had the process working properly and wanted to help out with other people getting it up and running as well.

Sorry!

I would be more than willing to write up another tutorial/step-by-step but I guess if a script is coming up, that would be completely extraneous.

Anyway, good luck to anyone who tries this procedure and PLEASE don't follow my thread! I added a warning on the OP stating that this procedure WILL NOT work... I guess that's not enough. I might ask mods to lock the thread or change the title to [DEPRECATED] or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey Folks,

I've been a little out of the loop for a while. I just caught wind of this thread and the confusion my "step-by-step" post has caused. I'm extremely sorry if my post was misleading or if you feel lied/cheated to. I truly did not mean it that way, and as stated before, I didn't know what had caused it to work was something under NDA. I just assumed I had the process working properly and wanted to help out with other people getting it up and running as well.

Sorry!

I would be more than willing to write up another tutorial/step-by-step but I guess if a script is coming up, that would be completely extraneous.

Anyway, good luck to anyone who tries this procedure and PLEASE don't follow my thread! I added a warning on the OP stating that this procedure WILL NOT work... I guess that's not enough. I might ask mods to lock the thread or change the title to [DEPRECATED] or something...
    Sorry for my criticism of your post. I had thought all along the Pre 2 ---> Sprint was a complete and legal process. The fact that MetaDoctors were being used reinforced that belief. I understand now that people had found out that your post was a guide with a wink.

To quote the Social Network:

"I did not know that"

Sorry for my criticism of your post. I had thought all along the Pre 2 ---> Sprint was a complete and legal process. The fact that MetaDoctors were being used reinforced that belief. I understand now that people had found out that your post was a guide with a wink.

To quote the Social Network:

"I did not know that"

The pre2 on sprint has always been a "legal" process...

Now having a completely functioning pre2 on sprint only became possible with publicly available knowledge once the VZM pre2 doctor came out.

All of the steps are here. If you know where to put them (and yes it will take some trial and error) everything will work fine. It was clearly labeled in the first post of this thread that there will be no walk through's or how-to's. I'm sure a separate thread will be created with that information.
    Okay, I can't wait any longer.

I'm trying this.

Steps I've taken:

1. Download wr Pre2, vsw pre 2, and sprint 1.4.5 doctors
    2. Unpack with metadoctor (and using Makefile on the "base" wr doctor)
    3. Copy cdma firmware files from vzw to wr unpacked doctor
    4. Added my sprint tokens to roadrunner.xml
    5. Changed palm-build-info file. Probably shouldn't have done that.
    6. Added sprint tokens to respective installer.xml in wr unpacked version
    7. packed metadoctor

So what I seem to be missing (and I'm not under any NDA) is the firmware that was released for some kind of sprint version of 2.x for the radio. I'm hoping the carrier tarball with the CDMA VZW firmware will be enough to automatically update it to the right level.

Right now I'm stuck at the doctoring part because the doctor isn't letting me hit "next" (doesn't see my phone in recovery mode). I'll report back when I figure it out. Links to help on that appreciated but I know this isn't the thread for that.

UPDATE

The stock doctor doesn't work on my Pre2 either using the machine. I'm thinking the novacom drivers installed by webos quick installer are old.

UPDATE 2

Doctor isn't officially supported on Ubuntu, and I can only get older novacom drivers (I'm not in early access) so I took the packed jar to my windows machine

UPDATE 3

Worked on windows, failed around 80%. Trying the VZW way now that I know my way around the meta doctor better.

UPDATE 4

(Failed?) doctor surprised me and booted anyway! Went to see if I could sign into my palm profile. Not quite working (unable to restore data) Sprint is showing full signal and EV, though. Going to continue building a new doctor based on VZW

UPDATE 5

VZW (Using Rod's Make commands, but instead of "all" at the end I used unpack patch) installation completed. Finished much quicker and best of all didn't fail at 80%. Still had profile issue (unable to restore data) but I was able to create a new profile and it works 100% (phone, sms, apps) and device info shows 1.4.5. So, success!

The custom palm-build-info file I put in the meta-doctor directory (which was my working directory for running make)

Searching around about profile theory.

Trying this (from webos internals wiki)

NOTE: You may get lucky if your Profile has information and you managed to pass the "Logging to Profile" screen but are stuck with a message stating that the phone cannot restore your data. If you have developer mode enabled, enter your Pre and overwrite the /etc/palm-build-info file with the palm-build-info-masq file the Doctor generated. Reboot your Pre and see if it manages to boot succesfully.
    Final update:

That didn't work either (used Nova-Verizon-Roadrunner default palm-build-info). Probably just gonna chill with a new profile. Devday Pre2 > $10 of apps and resyncing my email
    Last edited by Fool2; 02/27/2011 at 11:35 PM.
    Yep, that would operate exactly as you have described.

-- Rod
    Rod, here is one other very interesting possibility and I am trying to duplicate it.

I know of one individual who had 2.1 running on their Pre-. They then decided to convert to a Pre 2. They put the Sprint comm board in and ran the STOCK WR DR. It seems to work perfectly, profile is proper version and they can purchase apps and see all apps including 2.0 only apps.

Obviously the comm board has the updated VZW firmware but the phone had all of the GSM Pre 2 tokens. Device info shows ROW as carrier and has the GSM Pre 2 info.

If this can be duplicated it may be the perfect process...

What are your thoughts.. is it working exactly like the Verizon Pre 2 example above.
  14.    #134  
    Rod, here is one other very interesting possibility and I am trying to duplicate it.

I know of one individual who had 2.1 running on their Pre-. They then decided to convert to a Pre 2. They put the Sprint comm board in and ran the STOCK WR DR. It seems to work perfectly, profile is proper version and they can purchase apps and see all apps including 2.0 only apps.
    What does the palm.com/palmprofile record look like?

-- Rod
    What does the palm.com/palmprofile record look like?

-- Rod
    Sprint Pre 2.0.0 and has a Pre2 SN PG9U0...
    a new guide and maybe a script would be cool for sprint Pre. Can't wait for what you guys produce next!!

wiki format is good that way cuz posts become deprecated
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

Obviously the comm board has the updated VZW firmware but the phone had all of the GSM Pre 2 tokens. Device info shows ROW as carrier and has the GSM Pre 2 info.

If this can be duplicated it may be the perfect process...

What are your thoughts.. is it working exactly like the Verizon Pre 2 example above.
    I had a similar experience with my Sprint Pre 2, had to do no flashing to after installing the Sprint comm. board. Profile is 2.0.0
    Okay, so I've been running for a while now fine on Sprint with 2.0.1. GPS, 3G works fine. Stock apps work fine and are able to sync (this is on new profile)

After trying my last step above, it 9.9.9'ed my device so I'm going to put in the old palm-build-info to see what happens.

Weird thing was I was able to download and install apps, but they were unable to get a connection (facebook, yelp)

If the WR doctor works as you say, though, I may be able to at least get my old Pre2 profile back.
    Pre (SPRINT) PG9U0AUA 9.9.9 Yes

Okay, even after a full erase and a new profile my device is getting 9.9.9 and having those app issues.

Gonna redoctor it and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool2 View Post
    Pre (SPRINT) PG9U0AUA 9.9.9 Yes

Okay, even after a full erase and a new profile my device is getting 9.9.9 and having those app issues.

Gonna redoctor it and see what happens.
    Looks like you didn't get the tokens written per Rod's post. I noticed earlier you put them in an install.xml.

They go in the roadrunner.xml that is unpacked inside of the meta-doctor\build\webosdoctorp102...\webos\ folder. This part of the process (until there is a script) is the same as the original Sprint Pre 2. conversion thread.

But if you wanted since you haven't actually written any tokens you could try running the stock unlocked GSM pre 2 doctor. the problem is it sounds like your firmware isn't updated yet. It should be version 1.7 to work with 2.x, you can check it in device info, more info.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast