Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    OH Great the ENU worked.. Wonderful! My pre survived the Original release, I will continue to follow the Alpha and keep you all posted as to what is taking place with my device. At this point I am fairly confident that it won't be broken beyond what the doctor can handle.

Thx Unixpsycho and Rod
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Tried version 8.

Still going through bootloops (stopped counting at 10).

Given the success that others are having, I think the processor chip in my phone may be one of those that cant be ramped up to 1.4 GHz (similar to the original Droid chips that had issues being OC'ed to 1.1 or 1.2 GHz). Let me know if you ever release a version of this kernel that is a little slower (~ 1.2-1.3 GHz), and I will test it from there.

Thanks again for your hard work. Back to the DOCTOR.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    One quick q: I am still within my 30 days, and I don't want to have a Pre 2 that just BARELY eeked through factory testing.

Thoughts about whether the inability of a Pre 2 to run the F14 Tomcat kernel renders it potentially defective?

And, are the people that are installing this kernel on their Pre 2's having issues with bootloops as well?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    One quick q: I am still within my 30 days, and I don't want to have a Pre 2 that just BARELY eeked through factory testing.

Thoughts about whether the inability of a Pre 2 to run the F14 Tomcat kernel renders it potentially defective?
    It does not. The Pre 2 is specified to run at a maximum of 1GHz. If you happen to be able to run it faster than that, then you should consider yourself lucky. If you are not able to run it faster than that, then you have got what you paid for, and what Palm and TI support.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It does not. The Pre 2 is specified to run at a maximum of 1GHz. If you happen to be able to run it faster than that, then you should consider yourself lucky. If you are not able to run it faster than that, then you have got what you paid for, and what Palm and TI support.

-- Rod
    Especially since the chips in our devices are already high end for their class -- 3630 has 2 classes, 720MHz and 1GHz. Ours are running at 1GHz, but that's because they were the higher end of those chips. 1.4GHz is technically double the speed the 3630 runs at, except we've just got higher end 3630's (3630-1000).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Wait is this only for Pre 2s? has it been used on a sprint pre minus
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Wait is this only for Pre 2s? has it been used on a sprint pre minus
    Different chip, different kernel.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Well I bit the bullet and decided to go ahead and try this kernel out. Here is what happened.

1. Uninstalled uberkernel (already had it on the device so I would see updates for it right away).
    2. Installed F14. After a reboot, my device stuck on the palm logo, but not the glowing one.
    3. Pulling battery allowed me to restart. After restart, Govnah showed F14-8 as the current kernel.
    4. I worried because it wouldn't reboot at first, I installed the stock Palm kernel to erase the F14.
    5. Tried to install SR71. Same results, except this time 4 of my 6 launcher pages were blank, including the one with Preware on it. Could not launch through universal search either.

I just started doctoring the device. After I started, I heard over in the IRC channel that I should have membooted...
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Well after Doctoring I was able to install F14 just fine. I started going through and reinstalling some patches, and I noticed the description for the 'unset cfq io scheduler' patch ("This causes problems for kernels such as Fxxx..."). Don't ask me why, but I think I had this patch installed previously, which probably explains my kernel woes. I feel kinda dumb right now...

I can't for the life of me think of why I installed that patch before.

P.S. For the last two hours or so I have had no wifi problems. This kernel is nice.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    After a day of tweaking voltages, I finally had a wifi problem. I was not able to turn on wifi. From the top menu, I selected "Turn on Wi-Fi", and the spinner started spinning, but it never turned on. Then I tried from the wifi preferences app. The button toggled on, but below still said wifi was off and I had no wifi icon in the top bar.

A restart cured the problem for now.
    Last edited by cwgtex; 01/27/2011 at 06:57 PM.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    After a day of tweaking voltages, I finally had a wifi problem. I was not able to turn on wifi. From the top menu, I selected "Turn on Wi-Fi", and the spinner started spinning, but it never turned on. Then I tried from the wifi preferences app. The button toggled on, but below still said wifi was off and I had no wifi icon in the top bar.

A restart cured the problem for now.
    Tweaked it too low or high? and which one?
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Tweaked it too low or high? and which one?
    I lowered the voltage. Right now I am running screenstate between
    [ 1.4GHz - 1450mV ] and [ 300MHz - 912.5mV ]
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Here are some more things I have noticed.

1. I set the profile to F14 default (ondemandtcl) and did a full restart. After reboot, wifi worked normally.

2. I set the profile to a custom profile with ondemandctl and did a full restart. After reboot, wifi worked normally.

3. I set the profile to a custom profile with screenstate and did a full restart. After reboot, I was not able to turn on wifi.

1. I set the profile to F14 default (ondemandtcl) and did a full restart. After reboot, wifi worked normally.

3. I set the profile to a custom profile with screenstate and did a full restart. After reboot, I was not able to turn on wifi.

Then you have chosen voltages that are too low and 'Psycho has chosen good defaults.

M.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Then you have chosen voltages that are too low and 'Psycho has chosen good defaults.

M.
    Wrong. Look at point 2. Ondemandctl with very low voltages works fine. Its the screenstate governor or my settings in the screenstate profile that are the problem. What settings are you using with screenstate?
    Wrong. Look at point 2. Ondemandctl with very low voltages works fine. Its the screenstate governor that is the problem.
    I have to admit that I haven't been following this kernel *as* close as the others (because I don't have a Pre2...), but the Screenstate (unless I'm *totally* wrong) will raise and lower your voltages depending on system load. OnDemand does not. In periods of low load, it will subtract a few ticks from what you have vsel set to, unt hence, put your phone into a "too low voltage" situation (assuming you are choosing the same values, of course).

(can someone please correct me if screenstate in this kernel does not do voltage scaling?)

M.

#~-~-~-~-~
    # EDIT:

This isn't 100% correct information. Psycho has said that screenstate does NOT do voltage scaling yet (as of 01-28-2011), but ondemand does.

http://forums.precentral.net/2841155-post41.html

#~-~-~-~-~
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 01/28/2011 at 11:30 AM.
    with 1 ghz being very fast IMO. How does 1.4 feel? Is it very noticable?
    thanks
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I have to admit that I haven't been following this kernel *as* close as the others (because I don't have a Pre2...), but the Screenstate (unless I'm *totally* wrong) will raise and lower your voltages depending on system load. OnDemand does not. In periods of low load, it will subtract a few ticks from what you have vsel set to, unt hence, put your phone into a "too low voltage" situation (assuming you are choosing the same values, of course).

(can someone please correct me if screenstate in this kernel does not do voltage scaling?)

M.
    Screenstate has one freq for the screen being on, and one freq for the screen being off, the idea being if the screen is off, you probably aren't using it, so it can scale down, but if the screen is on you want it blazing fast. Not related to demand AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    with 1 ghz being very fast IMO. How does 1.4 feel? Is it very noticable?
    thanks
    Yes, I like it.
  20.    #40  

2. I set the profile to a custom profile with ondemandctl and did a full restart. After reboot, wifi worked normally.

Keep in mind ondemand doesnt run at full speed all the time. Lets make that clear before everyone blames screenstate for wifi not working. screenstate does nothing with voltage in webOS 2.x yet. it is a simple screen off; clock down, screen on; clock up.

Run it on performance gov and you'll see same result. At least I did. it is a voltage problem somewhere. Most of the time I can run screenstate with F14 with no problem at all.
    Live free or DIE!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast