1.    #1  
    Background:
    I have ssh working on my Pre+ through WiFi, USB, and MobileHotspot. Any of those work.
    (I am using putty to SSH from my Windows 7 laptop to the phone)
    WebOS 2.x

Now I still cannot connect through CELLULAR though (i.e. I cannot ssh from my laptop connected via WiFi to my phone connected via Cell)

I have stopped my firewall for now to test so that I know I'm not blocking the traffic on my device (as far as the iptables goes).

When I look at ifconfig for the ppp0 interface I see:
    ppo Link encap: Point-to-Point Protocol
    inet addr: 97.222.209.200
    P-t-P: 66.174.168.192
    Mask: 255.255.255.255

Now, I can traceroute to the 66.174.168.192 address which I assume is like a gateway, but I cannot traceroute to 97.222.209.200.

So I have the following questions:
    Has anyone gotten SSH over Cell/EVDO to work?

Has anyone got a server I can SSH into from my phone to trace back the path?

Has anyone got any suggestions on how move forward?
    I just found this article from webosinternals
    Scroll down to section:
    Enabling ssh over EVDO

I don't know if this is still up to date.
    ssh over evdo won't work on Verizon. They actively block it on their network. It sucks. I spent several weeks trying to do this to before I read where they block it.
    pretty sure they use NAT and dynamic addressing so you'd never be able to ping a handset from outside their network. Have you tried it when tethering through MHS so both devices are on the VZW network?

I expect they still won't see each other, though.

a mobile security eng once told me part of this is for security, because nothing can reach through their network to attack the phone that way.