Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom View Post
    Ok this process below for me was the simpliest way to get Preware:

I just reinstalled Preware due to my recovery, here is exactly how I did it:

1. Put your phone in Developers Mode at the bottom of the phone screen: to do this, from your phone keyboard type: “upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart” (the words will will appear in the top search window)

2. The phone will automatically take you to the mode after you type the above. Press the logo button to Put it in the Mode (Now you are ready to down load Preware on your cpu)

3. Go to this link: (FORUM WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO POST THE LINK> BUT I HAD DONE THIS STEP PREVIOUSLY) (download) You will get a grey program box.

4. Connect your usb cable to the cpu

5. Hit "Install Preware" botton on the bottom of the box (It installs quickly)

6. When finished installing, your Pre will auto reset, when it comes back up go to your apps and you will see the lil cute penguin in your programs!

I hope this works for you, it worked for me twice.

P.S. I have Windows 7 btw
    thanks. i had done this also..but step 5 is where it broke down with the "novacom" error.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Read this and follow all the instructions:

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/212655-getting-started-homebrew-apps-patches-themes.htm
    doing this one now. focusing on correction of the novacom error so i can move to next step. thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mugenboy View Post
    doing this one now. focusing on correction of the novacom error so i can move to next step. thanks.

quoting myself:

1) my java was current and okay for windows 7 on my laptop. that's good.

2) it appears that ive just successfully downloaded "webos quick install", and am required to downlod and install "webos doctor" so that i can actually open/use "webos quick install".

3) downloading of "webosdoctor..etc etc. verizon..preplus" is in process.

more on next post. thanks so far.
    Also make sure you use the USB cable that came with the Pre. While it may look like the same type as your old Treo, there is something different about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Also make sure you use the USB cable that came with the Pre. While it may look like the same type as your old Treo, there is something different about them.
    so far seems so good. yes used the pre+ original usb cable.

the novacomcmd thing was a bit goofy because when i clicked on it on pc screen, it doesn't gray out or highlight to indicate that it was clicked. so, of course, i clicked it again. then, it still seemed like no response, so i clicked a third time. So, well it seemed to intall the novacom thing 3 times (it oped up the dos window in upper left of screen, but didnt ask for input or anything. i left it alone).

seems that webos doctor has installed on the device ("100%, please wait this may take a few minutes" something like that).

so, right now, am waiting for that part to complete

food for thought: my biggest beef with the pre+ is the keyboard. how can i tell whether its working properly or feels the way its supposed to feel. it's a far cry from the amazing response/feedback of the treo keyboards. that's secondary for now...

will update success (i hope) on next post or 2.

thanks for the coaching
    several minites later:

while showing 100%, it also says "this may take a few minutes", box still says still "processing finished download". Evidently, the PC (and webos installer? ) "knows" that the webos doctoc download is finished but is still "processing finished download".

This "processing finished download" seems to be taking a long time.

the only option on the screen is "cancel".

So...do i cancel..or continue waiting on this. ? what does this "processing finished download" message mean ?

thanks for putting up with the questions here.
    Last edited by mugenboy; 01/06/2011 at 04:15 PM.
    leaving PC open and on for this "processing finished download".

Since this shows at 100%, can someone confirm that this is, in fact, completed and that I can move on, or is there somethign really still processing all this time ?

thanks.
    Can't help you mugenboy, but for other with novacom problems - sometimes you have to unplug the pre and plug it into a DIFFERENT USB PORT than the one you plugged it into before the novacom drivers were installed. Cant say why it works, but it's worked for me in the past.

hope that helps
    i disconnected the pre+ as the "finishing" screen from prior pos twas getting aggravating. i guess everything HAD downloaded and installed or whatever.

I typed "prew" on my pre and, effin' AY..effin' freakin' AY, it's there.

now i got's some reading to do.

ill be back with any questions.

i know there are many suggestions that peeps have for "must haves"...but my prioritoes for now are Agenda (to use until 2.0 app is official), and th evirtual keyboard a si loathe the current pre KB. If the VKB is okay, then the pre+ might replace my 755p. We'll see.

i also like the mode switcher that i had been reading abuot. i have the 3800 battery so i should be okay anyway.

satisfactoin will hinge upn the performance of the Virtual KB though. from treo 700p to 755p, nothing has come close to the produtivitiy i get with those real treo KB's.

thanks so far folks...ill be back after some experiementing tonight.

YIKEs..there's a lot of stuff in there. I need a map ! I'm lost already. lol. i hope it's in a good way. yikes.
    Last edited by mugenboy; 01/06/2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Success. Thank you to the members here that provided guidance.

i downloaded many patches and spent abuot 2-3 hours last night just scrolling through all the categories. i downloaded Over-the-air.

some observations:

1) oddly, the physical keyboard is more responsive. not as amazing as treo KB but significanlty more tolerable and almost a non-issue. may still take getting used to.

2) virtual KB was so-so, as keys were too small. tried to download patch for haptic feedback and click but kept getting "error". I did like, however, that the virtual KB was physically closer to where text would appear on screen, rather than the physical KB requiring upward glances. Point: with virtual KB and treo physical KB, the "text" area (even if at top of screen) was still well within the field of vision so user could see (even marginally) that the typed characters were appearring or even if they appeared incorrectly. I'll have to try to get used to it but the Pre+ , for now, appears to be a lot better than it was 24 hours ago.

3) how to manage all the downloads ? Made me wonder if there was (aside from the soon-to-be-obsolete Classic app) a way to emulate that "favorites" toggle that was on the treo?

Example: on treo, there was a "favorites" page(s) that were accessible from a simple toggle downward of the D-pad to bring up the 2 columns of 6 choices each. I had simple buttons for my primary apps that were regularly used every day: agendus pro, messaging, voicemail, call log, contacts, Web, Calculator, Personal email, work email, 5 speed dials. Secondary and tertiary "Favorites" were on the next "page" of faves. the top 2 favorites were visible, side-by-side, at the bottom of the treo screen, accessible via a tap, or dpad. the other 10 faves were "hidden" below the top 2, but still easil yaccessible via another press of dpad. Simple: 1 finger and 1/10th of a second access to the favorites. Can the Pre mimic this in any way ?

So, with all these apps on my pre screens now, how do we manage them in a simple "list"
    format rather than pages of icons ? My apologies if there is another thread on this..if so, please feel free to redirect me.

But, again, thanks to everyone for helping me get preware onto my device. the patches and tweaks really do enhance the user experience.

Lastly, re: "errors" on downloads. how do non-techies fix the errors to the patch or tweak can be installed? I wanted to get ubercalendar going so i cold really play a bit with the Agenda and Calendar. That's the top priority here.
    3)
    I agree, it can be very frustrating. I jumped computers to get Webosquick install loaded and working. My work computer (XP) used to do it fine but stopped, My W7 won't, Mac Leopard won't but MBP (SnowLeopard) does it fine.
  12. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Download in patches Advanced Configuration for App launcher. This patch allows you to add launcher pages, name them, an organize all of your apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    Download in patches Advanced Configuration for App launcher. This patch allows you to add launcher pages, name them, an organize all of your apps.
    thanks. going to do that right now.

related question on downloads:

i got some of this last night when downloading some patches. "3 of 7 hunks failed"..followed by "error installing. see IPKG log."

does this mean there is specific (and non-techie!) info in the IPKG log that intsructs me how to fix it ? (seems i guess that some patches conflict with other patches? )

i just did..or tried.. the patch as suggested above, and got "4 of 17 hunks failed"

thanks.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    +1 on the Advanced Config for App Launcher.

Also, don't forget that you can start typing an app's name, and it appears in Universal Search! I've had to resort to that once or twice myself when I couldn't for the life of me remember where I put it!
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  15.    #55  
    Update: I left out a couple of steps I had fogotten; they are highlighted below. I just had to reinstall the program on my teens Pre. Here is exactly how I did it:

1. Put your phone in Developers Mode at the bottom of the phone screen: to do this, from your phone keyboard type: “upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart” (the words will will appear in the top search window)

2. The phone will automatically take you to the mode after you type the above. Press the logo button to Put it in the On Mode (Now you are ready to down load Preware on your cpu) Remember to make sure you have turned the "On" button in the right top corner on before you download the link. (I just re-programed my daughter's phone and forgot to turn it on and it would not work!)

3. Choose "Use Charge" on the phone

4. Go to this link: http://get.preware.org/PrewareInstaller-1.5.0.exe (download) You will get a grey program box.

5. Connect your usb cable to the cpu

6. Hit "Install Preware" botton on the bottom of the box (It installs quickly)

7. When finished installing, your Pre will auto reset, when it comes back up go to your apps and you will see the lil cute penguin in your programs! (You may have to wait for Java to start up, I didn't notice that before)
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    On the topic of Preware blues, I'm using Preware 1.5.1, and when I tap list of everything, the ordering of the list always seems random. I always use that list to check what new apps there are, and I have to load it a few times before the apps show up in chronological order.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  17.    #57  
    My Preware is 1.5.0 version
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom View Post
    Update: I left out a couple of steps I had fogotten; they are highlighted below. I just had to reinstall the program on my teens Pre. Here is exactly how I did it:
    Whilst it is good that you are trying to make things easy for others that follow, it would probably be better to make sure that the WebOS Internals Wiki on installing Preware is clear and complete, (Edit if necessary) and refer people to that.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    An easier way to get into developer mode is to use webos20090606. Easier to remember, since it's the original Pre launch date.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    An easier way to get into developer mode is to use webos20090606. Easier to remember, since it's the original Pre launch date.

Posted from my eVo!
    What, who can't remember the konami code?

Anyway, just updated to Preware 1.5.2, and from the changelog notes it looks like my problem might have been fixed.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123