Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Which feeds do you have enabled (Preware button top left -> Manage Feeds)

The virtual keyboard is in the WebOS Patches (webos-patches) feed under Patches
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom View Post
    I cannot believe it finally INSTALLED. It rebooted and I'm paranoid about turning it on. Guess I will have too since it has not restarted on its on.

Thank you so much!
    No Problem! Glad it worked out. I had a problem with Preware a while ago and the installer was the only way I was able to get on. Glad to hear it works for you too.

As everyone else has suggested, add more feeds to your Preware. It should populate in no time.
    Check the MANAGE FEEDS option with the drop down menu and make sure you have all the proper feeds set up

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I am pretty sure he has the correct feeds. The keyboard is on the default feeds. I believe ur problem is that you are not going into list all items and then search. You are probrably going t pacjages applications all.
    Wow! How did you get HE out of the username GeekyMom? LOL!

And yes, do your search for the virtual keyboard, right from the main Preware screen, after it loads, without clicking on anything.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I spent 2 hours last night trying to setup Preware. Talk about frustrating.

I went from site to site, thread to thread from youtube how to to the next until my fingers got sore and still.... Nada

I ended up just paying for one in the app store, but it sucks cuz i still want PREWARE. lol
    okay, so it's not just me. Cripes, i've been trying to do this for weeks. i tried it last year also under another username and just gave up. i went back to my 755p. i'm a mobile professional so all i really need is phone and access to email. i use texting primarily for personal freinds etc..and of course, the geniously functional "agendus" app which is set up to show my 14-day rolling agenda. No games. Functional. AND, single finger operation with thumb at D-pad. plus, the seidio ultra batter and the darn thing fits amazingly well in my hand, while also raising the backspeaker 1/4 inch off table for conference calls or just simple hands free speakerphone with device on table. simple. pure. functional. feels great in hand...PLUS, a freaking amazing keyboard.

I have SO wanted to adopt the pre+. got an extended 3800 battery AND had it modded for touchstone. phone feels great in hand now..has some substance to it with the thicker back.

But..this preware thing. someone..help?

I read this thread and appreciated the comments and insights, including the "this is the simple way...and just downlaod the installer".

Heck, well, even doing THAT leaves me with a message on my laptop saying something like "novacom not installed".

I tried another link via webo internals that suggested as step 1 or 2 to "install webos doctor but don not run it". Well, honestly, if the info isnt provided on how to install webos doctor, then i am stuck and unable to proceed.

So, while i want to adopt the pre+, the preware download to PC seems to be holding me up from going anywhere with it. My hope is that if preware can be installed, that maybe i can reclaim much of the functionality and tactile satisfaction that I enjoy with my 755p. I'm not a hacker, programmer, or a gamer but have been totally frustrated with variety of resources for "preware installation instructions" that say "download preware" but there are like 3-4 different filename extentions like .exe. or .jar or whatver the others are.

Okay, so..i thought i had it 2 nights ago, then i got that "novacom" message and said "*** is novacom"?

sorry to be ranting but this has been amazingly frsutrating, including signing up for precentral as instructed, then waiting days for an access password to be sent to me just to sign in. "click this link to change password"...while i had not even received an original password in the first place. (obviously, i have recolved the password problem now).

So, just now, i tried the "simple" way from below to download the installer..and, ta-da, "novacom" message.

So, i'm sure i'm not the only non-techie person looking in on this so, can someone explain to me what this novacom thing is all about and what i need to do to move past the "need novacom" screen on the PC?

Thanks. maybe tonight i finally move over to pre+, but my 755p is very tough to beat. (especially the keyboard..the pre+ keyboard is awful, and cramps my fingers because i have to A) type with my fingernail edge with more pressure, and also B) have to watch the TOP of the pre screen to ensure that my letters are being shown. (aside from the pet peeve of the little cartoonly cloud things to indicate "messaging". Why not just use "Txt" or "Msg"

Okay..thanks in advance for any clues on how to move past the "novacom" problem that's showing on my PC screen. I'd like to try the virtual keyboard and seveal other preware apps but mostly, i am wanting to try the "agenda" app that will hopefully mimic what my 755p does with agendus.

thanks. (yes..it's been frustrating...). i really thought this preware thing was plug n play..but when i saw a link that said "45 page how-to", i was about to just put the pre+ away and use it ONLY as a wifi device and camera.

Loking forward to replies. and maybe i become a pre+ adopter. (FYI...the 3800 battery with the touchstone mod is actually very cool. it feels great in hand and MUCH easier to type but not nearly as nice as treo keyboard feel. i have not been able t oge tused to swiping though..espeically when my world..the whole thing..can be accessed via some left-right-up-down pressure on my thumb within the D-pad. THAT is tough to beat. ..so let's see how far i can get this pre+ going...

and yes i agree..this is a great community on here. but its very tough to tell who is commenting, as it seems quite often that there are "gamers" posting up...when i'd be trying to find people using pre+ for business application purposes. It's just a different demographic that's tough to figure sometimes.

thanks for tolerating the lengthy post.
    Last edited by mugenboy; 01/05/2011 at 08:58 PM.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mugenboy View Post
    okay, so it's not just me. Cripes, i've been trying to do this for weeks. i tried it last year also under another username and just gave up. i went back to my 755p. i'm a mobile professional so all i really need is phone and access to email. i use texting primarily for personal freinds etc..and of course, the geniously functional "agendus" app which is set up to show my 14-day rolling agenda. No games. Functional. AND, single finger operation with thumb at D-pad. plus, the seidio ultra batter and the darn thing fits amazingly well in my hand, while also raising the backspeaker 1/4 inch off table for conference calls or just simple hands free speakerphone with device on table. simple. pure. functional. feels great in hand...PLUS, a freaking amazing keyboard.

I have SO wanted to adopt the pre+. got an extended 3800 battery AND had it modded for touchstone. phone feels great in hand now..has some substance to it with the thicker back.

But..this preware thing. someone..help?

I read this thread and appreciated the comments and insights, including the "this is the simple way...and just downlaod the installer".

Heck, well, even doing THAT leaves me with a message on my laptop saying something like "novacom not installed".

I tried another link via webo internals that suggested as step 1 or 2 to "install webos doctor but don not run it". Well, honestly, if the info isnt provided on how to install webos doctor, then i am stuck and unable to proceed.

So, while i want to adopt the pre+, the preware download to PC seems to be holding me up from going anywhere with it. My hope is that if preware can be installed, that maybe i can reclaim much of the functionality and tactile satisfaction that I enjoy with my 755p. I'm not a hacker, programmer, or a gamer but have been totally frustrated with variety of resources for "preware installation instructions" that say "download preware" but there are like 3-4 different filename extentions like .exe. or .jar or whatver the others are.

Okay, so..i thought i had it 2 nights ago, then i got that "novacom" message and said "*** is novacom"?

sorry to be ranting but this has been amazingly frsutrating, including signing up for precentral as instructed, then waiting days for an access password to be sent to me just to sign in. "click this link to change password"...while i had not even received an original password in the first place. (obviously, i have recolved the password problem now).

So, just now, i tried the "simple" way from below to download the installer..and, ta-da, "novacom" message.

So, i'm sure i'm not the only non-techie person looking in on this so, can someone explain to me what this novacom thing is all about and what i need to do to move past the "need novacom" screen on the PC?

Thanks. maybe tonight i finally move over to pre+, but my 755p is very touch to beat. (especially teh keyboard..the pre+ keyboard is *****, and cramps my fingers because i have to A) type with my fingernail edge with more pressure, and B) look at TOP of the prescreen to ensure that my letters are being shown.

Okay..thanks in advance for any clues on how to move past the "novacom" problem that's showing on my PC screen.

thanks. (yes..it's been frustrating...)
    I went through so many changes until one poster gave me this link and it worked!

Originally Posted by SirataXero

Personally speaking, I use the Preware standalone installer found here: http://get.preware.org/PrewareInstaller-1.5.0.exe

Have you tried it? I know after a while they all seem to look alike.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I went through so many changes until one poster gave me this link and it worked!

Originally Posted by SirataXero

Personally speaking, I use the Preware standalone installer found here: (PRECENTRAL WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO REPOST THE LINK YOU HAD PROVIDED HERE BUT YES I DID USE THIS Prewareinstaller link..even the one you just sent here)

Have you tried it? I know after a while they all seem to look alike.
    yup. i get this:

top left of screen "an error has occurred".

then..middle of screen:

The Palm Novacom service was not found on this computer.

*** Please install the Novacom drivers and try again ***

If you continue to recieve errors post %temp%\Installer.log to forums.precentral.net---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, my prob with the above....
    #1) "please install the novacom drivers and try again". well, the obvious question..where do i find these novacom drivers?..and how install them?. what are they?..

#2) it says, "if you continue to receive errors post %temp%\Installer.log to forums.." (all i say to that is HUH ?.//what the heck are they talking about?...

and then i find myself back in the forums looking and searching..and. LOL, coming back to the same exact posting y provided with that installer link. (thank you by the way...but THAT is exactly where my process breaks down). always...and i ocldnt get an answer because precentral hadn't sent me a password to sign in to the site..AND, there was no way to email them to say "hey..where's my password". (that's fixed now though, obviously).

soo.....Novacom drivers? where obtain? how install?
    Novacom drivers are drivers from Palm.

If you already have WebOS Quick Install downloaded, open it and click the menu, in the upper left corner, I can't remember which one it's under, but there is one that will let you reattempt installation of Novacom.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Novacom drivers are drivers from Palm.

If you already have WebOS Quick Install downloaded, open it and click the menu, in the upper left corner, I can't remember which one it's under, but there is one that will let you reattempt installation of Novacom.
    how do i know if "webos quick install" is downloaded? what is the actual filename ? im searching in windows 7 for various combinatins of those 3 words and coming up with nothing.

or, that's the other problem i was having with this process the past several weeks: seeing a post that says "download webos quick install". well, i've poured through these forums for weeks but do not know specifically what that program/app is, or how to locate it, download it, or to install it. or what filename to search for if it's already installed on my PC. as for now, i dont find anything, unless it has some other name.

thanks.
  11.    #31  
    Now that my Pre has been restored, the only file missing is PREWARE! LOL, is it Aprils Fool day!

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    how do i know if "webos quick install" is downloaded? what is the actual filename ? im searching in windows 7 for various combinatins of those 3 words and coming up with nothing.

or, that's the other problem i was having with this process the past several weeks: seeing a post that says "download webos quick install". well, i've poured through these forums for weeks but do not know specifically what that program/app is, or how to locate it, download it, or to install it. or what filename to search for if it's already installed on my PC. as for now, i dont find anything, unless it has some other name.

thanks.
    Read this and follow all the instructions:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...es-themes.html
    Now that my Pre has been restored, the only file missing is PREWARE! LOL, is it Aprils Fool day!
    No, if you doctored your phone, that takes it back to a factory fresh install, so Preware wouldn't still be on there. You have to reinstall it.
    FYI: I don't know why you were doctoring, GeekyMom, but it's not necessary to run it, just because you have to download it into your computer. It just has to be in there for WebOS QI to work.
  15.    #35  

thanks.
    Ok this process below for me was the simpliest way to get Preware:

I just reinstalled Preware due to my recovery, here is exactly how I did it:

1. Put your phone in Developers Mode at the bottom of the phone screen: to do this, from your phone keyboard type: “upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart” (the words will will appear in the top search window)

2. The phone will automatically take you to the mode after you type the above. Press the logo button to Put it in the On Mode (Now you are ready to down load Preware on your cpu) Remember to make sure you have turned the "On" button in the right top corner on before you download the link. (I just re-programed my daughter's phone and forgot to turn it on and it would not work!)

3. Choose "Use Charge" on the phone

4. Go to this link: http://get.preware.org/PrewareInstaller-1.5.0.exe (download) You will get a grey program box.

5. Connect your usb cable to the cpu

6. Hit "Install Preware" botton on the bottom of the box (It installs quickly)

7. When finished installing, your Pre will auto reset, when it comes back up go to your apps and you will see the lil cute penguin in your programs!

I hope this works for you, it worked for me twice.

P.S. I have Windows 7 btw
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 01/07/2011 at 05:22 PM.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    im haveing the same issue with the pre i just updated it and for some reason cannot get preware installed on it what do i do
    i always forgot to enable dev mode when i was first trying. also go into control panel on your computer and remove the novacom driver from the "uninstall" section, and use webos quick install to "reinstall" novacom drivers, everytime i doctor i have to uninstall the driver and reinstall it for some reason.
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    mugenboy,

You can take care of the Novacom driver issue from either of these two methods:

Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    You might not have the novacom driver installed.

Dont plug your phone in but run a webOS Doctor (v 1.4.5 or so). When it launches, hit next a few times and a popup comes up and goes away, that's the Novacom driver. After that the Doctor will ask you to plug your phone in. Don't plug in your phone, just close the Doctor. Then you should be good to go with the driver. Try webOSQI again.
    Your computer is complaining because the Novacom driver isn't installed. Both methods mentioned above will install the Novacom driver on your computer. I personally prefer the webOSDoctor method because it is always up-to-date from Palm themselves. I love Jason and everything he does, but he may be a little behind the times or webOSQI may break for certain features (not that it has or is broken). Try either way and then try running the standalone installer or webOSQI again and let us know how it goes.
  19.    #39  
    No, if you doctored your phone, that takes it back to a factory fresh install, so Preware wouldn't still be on there. You have to reinstall it.
    I reinstalled easily this time.

I finally found and installed Virtual Keyboard (the main reason why I initially wanted Preware), but I can't seem to find it on my phone now. I've tried double tapping like instructed, but nada.

I like the VK better than the one I paid for because the VK's keys pop out at you as you stroke them. lol

Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    mugenboy,

You can take care of the Novacom driver issue from either of these two methods:

Your computer is complaining because the Novacom driver isn't installed. Both methods mentioned above will install the Novacom driver on your computer. I personally prefer the webOSDoctor method because it is always up-to-date from Palm themselves. I love Jason and everything he does, but he may be a little behind the times or webOSQI may break for certain features (not that it has or is broken). Try either way and then try running the standalone installer or webOSQI again and let us know how it goes.
    thanks. whats interesting in all this is that people say "use the webos doctor method" but then, at the same time you see a related comment that says "DON"T run webos dr DONT run it". So, well-intentioned posters are suggesting to readers to "download webos dr"...and most people woult think that it also means "download webos Dr so you can run webos dr". So, as you can imagine, for newbies and/or non-techies, this presents a bit of conundrum. Then again, also, the "download webos dr", is not something as simple as "oh click here for webos dr. okay, its downloaded. done." Depending in which thread or posting being looked at, there's all these links and "complete installation guides"..click here..see this...current java this....dotJAR that...load prewareintaller...donwload webos dr but DONT run webos dr." and yup, ive read soooo many threads here but it seems i need to download SOMETHNG --or re-read something else -- to obtain the novacom drivers onto my PC.

I am going to try a previous poster suggestion "read this entire thing and follow every direction" in this thread but, oddly enough, i had previously read that same entire thing and the lingo was a bit too techie..simply because i didn't know if they were referring to "download to pre"..or "download to pc",,then add in the "use the webos dr method" which then also conflicts with the "DONT RUN WEBOS dr". IT's a bit of catch 22.

Also..while my username says mugenboy, im actually a late 40's babyboomer. I do thoroughly appreciate the comments and suggestions. so, im gonna try this "Read this fully" thread again.. i hope this time is the trick to fix that "novacom drivers" error.

thanks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast