Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by push2shock View Post
    Sprint Pre - Uber @1 Ghz, all MHS removed before install.

Installed without issue. Worked first time and everytime. One bug I've noticed: On start up of freeTether with phone wifi is off. While running, phone wifi stays off. After shutting freeTether down, phone wifi comes on (symbol in top bar and on is system menu). Have to maunually turn off. Have repeated several times.
    We'll have to save the original state of the wifi radio before enabling tether so that people who don't want it on can keep it off. But it should still shut off and go into AP mode when you re-enable the toggle. freeTether is designed to not have to go outside of freeTether to tether, so it should set the modes properly (i.e. wifi ap, bt discovery, usbnet etc..) when the interface is toggled on.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhajj View Post
    Hi, I meant the wifi service remained enabled. A previous poster indicated his would return to "Off" after a few seconds. My Wifi indicator does go away when enabling the wifi service in freetether.

I also tried disabling wifi on the pre before launching freetether but it had no effect, and when I disabled wifi sharing in freetether the wifi was re-enabled on its own.

I was initially using WPA but when my PC failed to see an SSID broadcast I switched to Open.

Thanks,
    Jay
    So to clarify, the issue is that with wifi tethering enabled using WPA you were not able to find the AP via your PC?

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    FWIW, VZW's unlimited data plan is capped at 5GB's too. They just don't advertise it.
    Well I'll know for sure if the freeTether usage is going toward the Mobile Hotspot usage or not in the next couple days since I was over that limit last night when I tested it (worked flawlessly for wifi, haven't tested USB or BT).
    Last edited by QuarlesLT; 01/05/2011 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wamiller View Post
    Not sure if this a goofy question or not... Will there be any discernable battery life differences between using wifi or bluetooth?

Thanks!
    From experience with some other tethering app, WiFi tethering drains the battery so quickly that USB charging, and I think even touchstone charging (it's been a few months since I did this so I might be remembering that part wrong) are not enough to keep the phone charged.

The solution I used was to switch to Bluetooth tethering which allowed the battery to charge while in use. In areas where the 3G is fast (I was at a hotel outside Boston getting 3.5Mbps from my wifi tethered laptop on speedtest.net), Bluetooth will be a major bottleneck.

All this because no one has a USB tethering solution that works on Mac OS 10.6 (yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by suburban_war View Post

All this because no one has a USB tethering solution that works on Mac OS 10.6 (yet).
    gah, was just about to ask if anyone knew how to do this :/
  6.    #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Any advice on BT Tethering with Win7 (32 bit)? I can pair the devices but only get audio related services appearing and if I try to join a Bluetooth PAN none are found.
    You must initiate the PAN connection from your client (Win7, Linux, etc) OS not from the phone.
  7.    #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    gah, was just about to ask if anyone knew how to do this :/
    I believe there is a way, it's just not user friendly...
    Well done gentlemen!

What Software license is this released under?

Any chance it could be forked to route eth0<->usb0 or bluetooth? It seems like you'd already have 99% of the framework for that.

Would you like any help with the documentation?
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    We'll have to save the original state of the wifi radio before enabling tether so that people who don't want it on can keep it off. But it should still shut off and go into AP mode when you re-enable the toggle. freeTether is designed to not have to go outside of freeTether to tether, so it should set the modes properly (i.e. wifi ap, bt discovery, usbnet etc..) when the interface is toggled on.
    Just to clarify:

Wifi (phone) is off when I start freetether. Start freetether, wifi (phone) is still off. Toggle wifi (FT) on, wifi (phone) still off. Freetether and computer connect, everything works great. Toggle wifi (FT) off, wifi (phone) comes on as seen in top bar and system menu. Close freetether card, wifi (phone) still on, need to go to system menu and turn off. Doesn't seem to affect performance, just reporting what I've noticed. Thanks for the work.
    Quote Originally Posted by suburban_war View Post
    From experience with some other tethering app, WiFi tethering drains the battery so quickly that USB charging, and I think even touchstone charging (it's been a few months since I did this so I might be remembering that part wrong) are not enough to keep the phone charged.

The solution I used was to switch to Bluetooth tethering which allowed the battery to charge while in use. In areas where the 3G is fast (I was at a hotel outside Boston getting 3.5Mbps from my wifi tethered laptop on speedtest.net), Bluetooth will be a major bottleneck.

I've used myTether previously and it will maintain or slowly lose it's % charge when plugged in to the USB port and tethering over wifi. When plugged into the wall i've seen "some" increase in the battery while tethering with wifi. Also note that the screen doesnt need to stay on for freeTether the way it did for mytether - so that will help a lot.

We'll see how this goes - but i'd say i'm optimistic about it.
    Just to clarify:

Wifi (phone) is off when I start freetether. Start freetether, wifi (phone) is still off. Toggle wifi (FT) on, wifi (phone) still off. Freetether and computer connect, everything works great. Toggle wifi (FT) off, wifi (phone) comes on as seen in top bar and system menu. Close freetether card, wifi (phone) still on, need to go to system menu and turn off. Doesn't seem to affect performance, just reporting what I've noticed. Thanks for the work.
    Yeah currently the app assumes that if you don't want WiFi tethering (AP mode) then you'd like WiFi (phone) on. We should save the state of WiFi (phone) when enabling tethering and leave it in that condition when tethering is disabled. It shouldn't affect tethering as it currently is but I can see some may prefer WiFi radio to remain off even while not tethering and we'll fix this.

-Eric G

Donate
    My laptop shows up under connected devices but my co-workers iphone does not. The iphone does have full internet access just not showing under connected devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    The hostname is supplied by the DHCP connection, which webOS devices don't seem to be giving a hostname. When I connect via my netbook I get the hostname. Does anyone know if MHS sees hostnames for webOS connected devices?
    I havent tested with my win7 netbook yet, but im guessing it will give it's name.

Note that with mytether I WAS seeing the name of the macbook pro that showed only MAC address this morning in freetether - so webOS can do it - not sure what he did though. He also had a running kbps 'meter' much like the official VZ hotspot. Not picky about this atm - a popup "total kb usage" at the end of each sessions would be nice - but not if it affects usage and battery life to log that info! (option in pref to turn on/off data usage info if it does?)

THANKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by DriowOwsUv View Post
    Well done gentlemen!

What Software license is this released under?

Any chance it could be forked to route eth0<->usb0 or bluetooth? It seems like you'd already have 99% of the framework for that.

Would you like any help with the documentation?
    It is released under GPL v2.

It should be able to route eth0 traffic over usb0 already, i.e. tether the WiFi connection to usb connected device. The USB connections just don't show up in connect list yet.

Documentation help is always very much appreciated, currently the wiki for it is pretty bare. Application:FreeTether - WebOS Internals
    Last edited by egaudet; 01/05/2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: license

-Eric G

Donate
    Just to clarify:

Experienced the same behavior (wifi went ON after wifi tethering was closed in freeTether).

EDIT: seems that this is already explained by egaudet.
    Quote Originally Posted by arxb2 View Post
    My laptop shows up under connected devices but my co-workers iphone does not. The iphone does have full internet access just not showing under connected devices.
    i saw the same behavior late last night/early this morning as well. my laptop shows up, but the other pre that's using my pre's hotspot does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoum View Post
    I havent tested with my win7 netbook yet, but im guessing it will give it's name.

Note that with mytether I WAS seeing the name of the macbook pro that showed only MAC address this morning in freetether - so webOS can do it - not sure what he did though. He also had a running kbps 'meter' much like the official VZ hotspot. Not picky about this atm - a popup "total kb usage" at the end of each sessions would be nice - but not if it affects usage and battery life to log that info! (option in pref to turn on/off data usage info if it does?)

THANKS!
    What I meant with webOS devices not doing it is connecting one Pre to another Pre's hotspot for example I never see a hostname come accross the dhcp subscription. If MHS got a hostname in that situation I'd be curious to where they were getting it.

However if a PC gives a hostname in MHS but not in FT that is probably a glitch in FT that we will have to look into.

-Eric G

Donate
    @egaudet:

i've been trying to reproduce the issues i experienced earlier (unable to UNtether even after i turned off wifi tethering) and have not been able to reproduce it. the reboot i did last night seems to have fixed it.

the other issue of the two green lights not always coming on when they should also went away.

so i wonder if the app just needs to be rebooted once after install.
    I've noticed that FreeTether toggles the state of usbnet without a reboot, at least when tethering by usb. Currently, this leaves usbnet off once tethering is shut off. It'd be nice to return this to its' original state.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    You must initiate the PAN connection from your client (Win7, Linux, etc) OS not from the phone.
    Yep, that's what I'm trying and no devices show up. I set up pairing initially from the my laptop as well.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast