Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Haven't tried this yet, but to those who report slow speeds. We have work-issued blackberries, and I just wanted to report tethering is also frequently slow with that as well.

Also, the question of if this comes out of your 5GB allowance, yes, it will. Your provider will see this as bandwidth usage.
    Verizon's data cap is unlimited, unless you have Mobile Hotspot running, THEN there is a 5GB limit to that specific data. We were wondering if Verizon will see freeTether as if it's Mobile Hotspot. I've used well over 5GB without MHS running before so I know that data is truly unlimited.
    FWIW, VZW's unlimited data plan is capped at 5GB's too. They just don't advertise it.
    When i run the install, i get this IPKG error:

begin
    Nothing Interesting.
    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    37 75262 37 28286 0 0 11873 0 0:00:06 0:00:02 0:00:04 26609
    100 75262 100 75262 0 0 22283 0 0:00:03 0:00:03 --:--:-- 36588
    identify
    org.webosinternals.freetether
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/luna-send -n 6 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify '{"subscribe":true, "target": "/media/internal/.developer/org.webosinternals.freetether_0.99.6_i686.ipk", "uncompressedSize": 0}' 2>&1
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }

I have these feeds configured
    Target Device: ALL
    Name: webos-testing-all
    URL: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/all/

Target Device: Pre/Pre+
    Name: webos-testing-armv7
    URL: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7/

Target Device: Palm SDK Emulator
    Name: webos-testing-i686
    URL: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/i686/

On Sprint Pre with 1.4.5
    Had MHS and Ip forwarding installed. Removed both restarted then ran install.
  5. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Confirmed Sprint Pre working with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Previously, MHS caused constant drops and reconnects so this is much appreciated. Too bad my locations' "3G" never gets over 40kbps/10kbps...

One bug: "Connected devices" incorrectly says none when devices are connected.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Blackberry can't connect over wifi. It sees the network, but doesn't say why it can't connect. Wifi passphrase is 9 characters so it should work.
    Thank you for this! Nothing cooler than being a walking hotspot. Has anyone experimented with the range of the signal on a Pre?
    freeTether is great ! Donation is on it's way. Thanks WebOSInternals for making our Pres perfect phones.

Please everybody, do show your appreciation, donate !
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Very easy to install and get wifi working.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Not sure if this a goofy question or not... Will there be any discernable battery life differences between using wifi or bluetooth?

Thanks!
    Confirm that it doesn't seem to be properly turning off wifi tethering, which kills battery life afterwards.. Otherwise awesome!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    I don't do the twitter thing & I didn't read the 5 pages of this thread before I installed, so I missed the part about uninstalling the old free Tether first. Once I uninstalled that, MHS still doesn't work, but I'm also no longer getting the error message.
    freeTether binds over the mobile hotspot daemon so that the MHS service never runs (which it tries to automatically upon bluetooth connections for example). We currently have not made freeTether service shutdown and cleanup when not in use, but this is in the plans. For now the only way to use MHS service is to uninstall freeTether or reboot and never launch freeTether. Once freeTether is started, MHS service cannot be used until next reboot or freeTether uninstall.

Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    One more thing... How exactly do you UNtether? I had my laptop and another pre tethered via Wifi.

Right now, as I'm typing this post, the toggle for Wifi tethering is in the "OFF" position in freeTether. I'm still connected. Huh?

UPDATE: Putting my pre on Airplane Mode = no tethering, as expected. Turning off Airplane Mode, with freeTether Wifi tethering Off, the IP Forwarding light is on and tethering is on again. Really strange...
    Toggling off should disable tethering on that interface. I will try to reproduce your findings. Are you still able to use the internet while in this state? i.e. is your tethered device actually able to see access the internet via the hotspot?

Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    On to USB... I still haven't been able to get it working. I've tried each of the 5 combos (UMS, UMS + NOVACOM, etc.) and none of them work. I'm not sure what those settings mean exactly...
    We will probably fix or remove the USB settings. For USB tethering, you need one of the USBNET modes (USBNET + UMS + NOVACOM is normal I believe). When you toggle usb on it should enable the USBNET so you shouldn't have to manually modify the USB settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    I repeated this multiple times, so it was not a one-time thing. The only reason for going to the Bluetooth preferences for many people is to make the phone discoverable, since Tomtom GPS devices will ONLY test for data connectivity on a phone when you add the phone. So going to Bluetooth preferences to enable discovery is needed, and since doing that breaks Freetether, I am stuck until this bug is resolved.
    Toggling bluetooth on from the freeTether will enable bluetooth discovery. (Open the bluetooth app with bluetooth disabled, and then toggle it on in freetether and you should see the bluetooth app toggle turn on as well). We will look into your reports of it breaking while using bluetooth app.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenoum View Post
    Also - any way we could see the Device "name" as opposed to the mac address under connections? You guys ROCK
    The hostname is supplied by the DHCP connection, which webOS devices don't seem to be giving a hostname. When I connect via my netbook I get the hostname. Does anyone know if MHS sees hostnames for webOS connected devices?

Quote Originally Posted by jayhajj View Post
    Hi, I'm using freeTether v0.99.6 on my Sprint Pre and it doesn't appear to be broadcasting.
    I installed freetether, launched it and enabled wifi.
    Wifi stayed on and the DHCP Server and IP Forwarding came online.
    I attempted to discover the Pre from an iPod touch and it wasn't recognized.
    I manually entered the SSID fretether and it still wasn't found.
    I then attempted to discover the Pre from my laptop and it also didn't find it. I rebooted the Pre and it had no effect.
    What do you mean by "wifi stayed on". If WiFi is on (i.e. wifi icon in top bar) then wifi AP (hotspot) is not on. If WiFi is staying on while dhcp/ip_forward comes on then that is very unexpected behavior, we will look into it. Are you using open or wpa?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmonst3r View Post
    Target Device: Palm SDK Emulator
    Name: webos-testing-i686
    URL: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/i686/

On Sprint Pre with 1.4.5
    Had MHS and Ip forwarding installed. Removed both restarted then ran install.
    Why do you have the emulator (i686) feed enabled on your Pre (armv7)?

Quote Originally Posted by ndz View Post
    Confirmed Sprint Pre working with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Previously, MHS caused constant drops and reconnects so this is much appreciated. Too bad my locations' "3G" never gets over 40kbps/10kbps...

One bug: "Connected devices" incorrectly says none when devices are connected.
    Only usb connections should currently be "undetectable". It's not as straight forward as wifi/bluetooth but we will work on getting USB connections in the connections list in the future.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    It's working!! You guys are awesome, LOVE webOS!!
  14. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Confirm that it doesn't seem to be properly turning off wifi tethering, which kills battery life afterwards.. Otherwise awesome!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just noticed the same. It stays on after you turn it off and swipe the card away.

How do you properly turn this off?
    just got it working with a Sprint Pixi and a Dell Inspiron running Ubuntu via USB.

Sprint Pre - Uber @1 Ghz, all MHS removed before install.

Installed without issue. Worked first time and everytime. One bug I've noticed: On start up of freeTether with phone wifi is off. While running, phone wifi stays off. After shutting freeTether down, phone wifi comes on (symbol in top bar and on is system menu). Have to maunually turn off. Have repeated several times.
  17.    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by ndz View Post
    Just noticed the same. It stays on after you turn it off and swipe the card away.

How do you properly turn this off?
    Turning the toggles off should restore normal operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    What do you mean by "wifi stayed on". If WiFi is on (i.e. wifi icon in top bar) then wifi AP (hotspot) is not on. If WiFi is staying on while dhcp/ip_forward comes on then that is very unexpected behavior, we will look into it. Are you using open or wpa?
    Hi, I meant the wifi service remained enabled. A previous poster indicated his would return to "Off" after a few seconds. My Wifi indicator does go away when enabling the wifi service in freetether.

I also tried disabling wifi on the pre before launching freetether but it had no effect, and when I disabled wifi sharing in freetether the wifi was re-enabled on its own.

I was initially using WPA but when my PC failed to see an SSID broadcast I switched to Open.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Why do you have the emulator (i686) feed enabled on your Pre (armv7)?

Because i was noobing it up, Thanks works great!
    Any advice on BT Tethering with Win7 (32 bit)? I can pair the devices but only get audio related services appearing and if I try to join a Bluetooth PAN none are found.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast