Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Hi,
    Thanks for your great work.

I have one question. Is reverse tethering supported? I have to go abroad a few times a year and don't want to pay the huge roaming charges.

In that office we don't have wifi.

I want to share my laptop's Internet connection with my Pre using bluetooth
    Could I use FreeTether for that?
    Cheers
    JD
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Has anyone gotten tethering to work with a Tomtom GPS? When I set up the connection, the Tomtom does not see data available, as if Bluetooth tethering is not turned on. Along with this, turning on JUST Bluetooth does not enable the DHCP server or IP forwarding, which may be the problem(I turned on WiFi to test).
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevora View Post
    Hi,

I have one question. Is reverse tethering supported? I have to go abroad a few times a year and don't want to pay the huge roaming charges.

Cheers
    JD
    Let me get straight you want to setup you laptop, then connect it to the net via wired network or air card. Then instead of using the laptop to do things you want to use a tiny palm pre?

Not sure if the pre connects to ad hoc networks but if it does.

How to make your laptop act as a router
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevora View Post
    Hi,

Cheers
    JD
    Connectify will turn your laptop into a WiFi hotspot. Works OK on WIndows XP. Works great on Windows 7.
    I second the connectify vote. It will allow you to connect your pre to your laptop's wifi easily. note that it does seem to work better under win7, and that doing this under linux or mac os x is trivial
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    As with both mytether and mhs, I am sad to report iPad wifi tethering is untolerably slow. Anyone have a solution for this?

Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I don't have the time to dedicate myself to helping with Freetether, but I have found a bit of a bug while trying to tether with a Tomtom Go 930. Hopefully someone on the team reads this.

Phone/OS: Palm Pre Plus on AT&T running WebOS 1.4.5
    Area: Bluetooth
    If you go to Freetether, and turn on only Bluetooth tethering without doing anything else, it will properly enable the DHCP server and IP forwarding. Turning Bluetooth off in the program will properly toggle these features.

If you then go into the Bluetooth preferences for the phone, it enables the auto discovery, and at that point, Freetether breaks. At that point, the only way to get Freetether to work again is to reboot the phone.

There are other problems with the Bluetooth enable/disable, where if you turn on WiFi or USB tethering, then Bluetooth enable/disable will not toggle the DHCP server or IP forwarding, even if you turn the WiFi and USB tethering off.

I repeated this multiple times, so it was not a one-time thing. The only reason for going to the Bluetooth preferences for many people is to make the phone discoverable, since Tomtom GPS devices will ONLY test for data connectivity on a phone when you add the phone. So going to Bluetooth preferences to enable discovery is needed, and since doing that breaks Freetether, I am stuck until this bug is resolved.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Are you getting a 3G connection on your phone? What carrier do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    As with both mytether and mhs, I am sad to report iPad wifi tethering is untolerably slow. Anyone have a solution for this?

Quick!! Sell that sucker before it drops in value with v2 coming - then pick up the PalmPad in a few months

PS - You're welcome :P

Apologies if this sound stupid but I've followed the instructions in adding the feeds and I still have no luck in finding the freetether app ... any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much for making this happen. The Pre on the sprint network didnt have a tethering option and now its free!! I have the unlimited Data plan so I should have no problem with this. My coworker connected his Iphone to my wifi and my data was faster than his even tethering...lol.

Thank you so much and keep up the good work.
    Also - any way we could see the Device "name" as opposed to the mac address under connections? You guys ROCK

btw - the battery drains VERY fast with wifi tether, but just plug it in via USB to charge it while you tether. Also - phone's surprisingly not hot at all during tether - a nice surprise
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajedi72 View Post
    Apologies if this sound stupid but I've followed the instructions in adding the feeds and I still have no luck in finding the freetether app ... any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    You need the Pixi feed to find it right now. I manually went into the feeds and only found it under the Pixi(Armv6) area, while it was missing from the Pre(Armv7).
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Are you getting a 3G connection on your phone? What carrier do you have?
    Yup and Sprint. I love sprint.
    Sprint Love
    How does this differ from my thether, besides being free and I am sure better direct contact to developer, updates and being in Preware.....which are all great things?
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    this is a newb question if I have verizon with the 5gb free mobile hotspot and I use freetether will it come out of my 5GB cap or would it be different?
    I have the same question.
    Hi, I'm using freeTether v0.99.6 on my Sprint Pre and it doesn't appear to be broadcasting.
    I installed freetether, launched it and enabled wifi.
    Wifi stayed on and the DHCP Server and IP Forwarding came online.
    I attempted to discover the Pre from an iPod touch and it wasn't recognized.
    I manually entered the SSID fretether and it still wasn't found.
    I then attempted to discover the Pre from my laptop and it also didn't find it. I rebooted the Pre and it had no effect.

Am I missing some step?

Thanks for any assistance,
    Jay

I had no tether app installed previously.
    I have a Pre on sprint running govnah at 1ghz/500mhz screen state installed freetether about 2hrs ago tested it with laptop then about 15mins ago im at work and phone gave overheating alert and battery was down to 20% (was about 90% after testing freetether) I did turn off and close freetetcher after my test also did not reboot after install. All tether software was removed before install not including MHS (was not wokring currently on my sprint due to update and never went back to patch) will keep posted on any chnages just rebooted and have 16% will get charger when i got to lunch due to me being at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhajj View Post
    Hi, I'm using freeTether v0.99.6 on my Sprint Pre and it doesn't appear to be broadcasting.
    I installed freetether, launched it and enabled wifi.
    Wifi stayed on and the DHCP Server and IP Forwarding came online.
    I attempted to discover the Pre from an iPod touch and it wasn't recognized.
    I manually entered the SSID fretether and it still wasn't found.
    I then attempted to discover the Pre from my laptop and it also didn't find it. I rebooted the Pre and it had no effect.

Am I missing some step?

Thanks for any assistance,
    Jay

I had no tether app installed previously.

I have not tried with ipod phone or pad will test with a co-worker and report back I have tested with my pc and works on sprint 3g
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast