Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2530313233343536 LastLast
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I am having issues with the DHCP settings. They do not stick and I tried the workaround of setting it, backswiping, then closing the app and reopening it. It doesn't work. Tried reinstalling. Updated to latest version. Nothing.
    I could not get wifi tethering to work for the longest time. No other devices were able to connect to it. Tried 4 laptops, 2 other palm pre's, and a zune. It always stated a dhcp error. I don't know if the program wasn't able to assign a IP or what. So I tried setting the dhcp settings for a different gateway and starting ip to see if it would fix it. But then I came across that common bug.
    It just all of a sudden started working. No idea why. the only thing I did recently was restore classic note with save/restore. There was a random glitch that I lost all my notes but thankfully I was able to restore them. I then tried freetether again and it worked. Gave me a DHCP error then it asked what type of network it was (on win 7 laptop). I then went to my zune and it was also able to connect without issues. I was ecstatic.

The problem I have though is that I am finally able to set the name and the network pass successfully, but I cannot edit the DHCP settings. It is not that big of an issue now though, at least until I start to get the DHCP errors again.

Another issue I have is that I have to connect the laptop first before I can connect my zune, otherwise it will give the DHCP error. When I used the mobile hotspot app before My zune was unable to connect stating that the network I was connecting to did not have an internet connection and then disconnect before the internet came back. I am wondering if this app will have the same issues. I mostly want to use my tethering for downloading songs directly to my zune no matter where I am, so it is a big issue to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am so thankful for the hombrew community. I am also a PSP owner so I know how powerful and needed the hombrew community is and I am in awe at the work that WebOS internals has done. Truly great job guys. Please keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by fusksalad View Post
    I am having issues with the DHCP settings. They do not stick and I tried the workaround of setting it, backswiping, then closing the app and reopening it. It doesn't work. Tried reinstalling. Updated to latest version. Nothing.
    I could not get wifi tethering to work for the longest time. No other devices were able to connect to it. Tried 4 laptops, 2 other palm pre's, and a zune. It always stated a dhcp error. I don't know if the program wasn't able to assign a IP or what. So I tried setting the dhcp settings for a different gateway and starting ip to see if it would fix it. But then I came across that common bug.
    It just all of a sudden started working. No idea why. the only thing I did recently was restore classic note with save/restore. There was a random glitch that I lost all my notes but thankfully I was able to restore them. I then tried freetether again and it worked. Gave me a DHCP error then it asked what type of network it was (on win 7 laptop). I then went to my zune and it was also able to connect without issues. I was ecstatic.

The problem I have though is that I am finally able to set the name and the network pass successfully, but I cannot edit the DHCP settings. It is not that big of an issue now though, at least until I start to get the DHCP errors again.

Another issue I have is that I have to connect the laptop first before I can connect my zune, otherwise it will give the DHCP error. When I used the mobile hotspot app before My zune was unable to connect stating that the network I was connecting to did not have an internet connection and then disconnect before the internet came back. I am wondering if this app will have the same issues. I mostly want to use my tethering for downloading songs directly to my zune no matter where I am, so it is a big issue to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am so thankful for the hombrew community. I am also a PSP owner so I know how powerful and needed the hombrew community is and I am in awe at the work that WebOS internals has done. Truly great job guys. Please keep it up!
    Yes this cookie bug was fixed for the wifi/bt prefs not saving. I can confirm that the dhcp changes do not stick. I don't know if they use the same cookie information or a separate way of storing that info, but yes that part doesn't stick right now.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Okay, then I'll be patient.

I wonder if there is a way that they could trick the zune to tell it that there is a internet connection so it can wait for the few seconds it takes for data to come back. It is a ton faster than the mobile hotspot app used to be. I know there isn't much they can do to make the data connection instantly come back on after connection.
    cool, if you tell me what to delete, I can certainly do that. maybe it was a coincidence that it stopped working after I doctored, because patch tuesday would have been the next evening...
    Will this ever make it to preware since I dont speak the current lingo to get this installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Will this ever make it to preware since I dont speak the current lingo to get this installed?
    Do you mean in the public feeds? This is available in the testing feeds. It is basically stable enough to be released to the public feeds at this point IMHO.

See the wiki (link in OP) for details on how to install (via Preware).

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    cool, if you tell me what to delete, I can certainly do that. maybe it was a coincidence that it stopped working after I doctored, because patch tuesday would have been the next evening...
    Can you connect to other wifi networks with your netbook without issue?
    Do you get an ip address from freeTether's dhcp server/service?

I'm trying to figure out how/where you could delete/re-setup the drivers/network sharing stuff. I'll get back to you on that when I find something.

yes, I am on wifi at home, starbucks, etc every day.

this netbook is rock solid in every way. Never a problem.
    and I use this phone on all the same wifi networks.
    yes, I am on wifi at home, starbucks, etc every day.

this netbook is rock solid in every way. Never a problem.
    and I use this phone on all the same wifi networks.
    10-4.

I'll see what I can come up with.

I don't recall you mentioning this, but... when your connecting to your device (pre2?) using the wifi tethering, are you using open or security on the network?

Also, I think you mentioned that in the network and sharing center, the wireless network shows up as an "unidentified" network, does it say public network underneath it and it is click-able (a link)? If it is, can you change it to home network or something.

And... do you get an IP address from freeTether's dhcp service at all?

11.    #691  
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    Yes this cookie bug was fixed for the wifi/bt prefs not saving. I can confirm that the dhcp changes do not stick. I don't know if they use the same cookie information or a separate way of storing that info, but yes that part doesn't stick right now.
    Ahh yes, I could have missed a spot. I will fix this.
  12.    #692  
    0.99.15 should be in the testing feed in a few minutes. The TCP settings issue is fixed. This will probably be the last testing feed release before 1.0.0 main feed release as long as you all don't spot another major issue. Let me know how it goes.
    Puff,

I'll add this to redmine as a feature request, but wanted to mention it here as well.

I think it would be cool to see these improvements to the TCP/IP Prefs.

1) Make the fields only accept numbers, almost like having num locks on. I forget what the mojo code is that allows for that.

2) When changing the gateway IP for example, would it be possible for the dhcp start address to automatically change based on the gateway address? (e.g. if defaults were 10.1.1.1 for the gateway and 10.1.1.50 for the dhcp start, if the gateway were changed to 10.10.10.1, have the dhcp start automatically change/update to match the network portion of the ip address used in the gateway?

Also when changing the subnet or the max leases, tie them together based on what subnet is chosen, it would automatically put the correct number of allowable addresses in the max lease field or visa versa where changing the max leases would update the subnet mask to the correct setup based on the value of the max leases, etc...

3) For those that could screw up changing these settings... maybe have a reset to defaults option?

Just a few thoughts. I hope they make sense. Not sure how complicated it would be to code, but would be a great addition to the app!

Thanks again!

14.    #694  
    Puff,

I'll add this to redmine as a feature request, but wanted to mention it here as well.

I think it would be cool to see these improvements to the TCP/IP Prefs.

1) Make the fields only accept numbers, almost like having num locks on. I forget what the mojo code is that allows for that.

2) When changing the gateway IP for example, would it be possible for the dhcp start address to automatically change based on the gateway address? (e.g. if defaults were 10.1.1.1 for the gateway and 10.1.1.50 for the dhcp start, if the gateway were changed to 10.10.10.1, have the dhcp start automatically change/update to match the network portion of the ip address used in the gateway?

Also when changing the subnet or the max leases, tie them together based on what subnet is chosen, it would automatically put the correct number of allowable addresses in the max lease field or visa versa where changing the max leases would update the subnet mask to the correct setup based on the value of the max leases, etc...

3) For those that could screw up changing these settings... maybe have a reset to defaults option?

Just a few thoughts. I hope they make sense. Not sure how complicated it would be to code, but would be a great addition to the app!

Thanks again!
    Thanks. All good ideas. I actually thought about these when I first was making the TCP prefs scene. I will prob save these for 1.x though.
    10-4.

I'll see what I can come up with.

I don't recall you mentioning this, but... when your connecting to your device (pre2?) using the wifi tethering, are you using open or security on the network?

Also, I think you mentioned that in the network and sharing center, the wireless network shows up as an "unidentified" network, does it say public network underneath it and it is click-able (a link)? If it is, can you change it to home network or something.

And... do you get an IP address from freeTether's dhcp service at all?
    OK, the problem is definitely windows, but I don't know how to fix it. Lat time I was at starbucks I hit the "assume future connections are public" and that's the issue. After that I connected to my phone - no work, and to my travel router - no work. Fired up my Pre+ and it connects/surfs through bothe of them.

But, I can't figure out how to reset that "don't ask me again" choice. I can click on the "unidentified network" link, won't let me change anything. I removed all of my previous wifi connections (more than once) and deleted everything I can think of. I renamed the hotspots, I changed IP ranges, etc etc etc ad nauseum. My laptop won't surf through my freeTether connection or my travel router. Argh. Can you you help me?
    OK, the problem is definitely windows, but I don't know how to fix it. Lat time I was at starbucks I hit the "assume future connections are public" and that's the issue. After that I connected to my phone - no work, and to my travel router - no work. Fired up my Pre+ and it connects/surfs through bothe of them.

But, I can't figure out how to reset that "don't ask me again" choice. I can click on the "unidentified network" link, won't let me change anything. I removed all of my previous wifi connections (more than once) and deleted everything I can think of. I renamed the hotspots, I changed IP ranges, etc etc etc ad nauseum. My laptop won't surf through my freeTether connection or my travel router. Argh. Can you you help me?
    I'll PM you so that we don't flood the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    0.99.15 should be in the testing feed in a few minutes. The TCP settings issue is fixed. This will probably be the last testing feed release before 1.0.0 main feed release as long as you all don't spot another major issue. Let me know how it goes.
    Thanks! All settings are changing great now.
    I'll PM you so that we don't flood the thread.
    Quick update for those that may have the same issue I had. It turned out to be a Win7 issue,Mr Oakridge helped me solve it. I deleted the network drivers on my netbook to force Windows to recreate network connections for my Pre2 and my travel router. He's my hero, and it's always great to determine that the problem isn't with the webOS app, but that webOS users can still save the day. Kudos and Thanks to Oakridge Outdoors and the Oakridge Boys!

With versions .13, .14, and .15 I am unable to tether via usb. I went back to version .12 and usb tether works. where did the usb prefs go in the newest ver?

how i tether via USB using ver.12
    open freetether app
    In usb pref I change UMS to USBNET+PASSTHRU
    Then turn USB tethering on
    Finally I disable and enable data and it works

i don't have any usb pref options in the newer versions and if i try to use the usb passthroug app it doesnt work

Any help getting usb tethering to work in the latest ver of FT would be greatly appreciated thanks for your help and for freetether!!!!
    If it helps I'm on a sprint pre plus 1.4.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryflynt2k View Post
    With versions .13, .14, and .15 I am unable to tether via usb. I went back to version .12 and usb tether works. where did the usb prefs go in the newest ver?

how i tether via USB using ver.12
    open freetether app
    In usb pref I change UMS to USBNET+PASSTHRU
    Then turn USB tethering on
    Finally I disable and enable data and it works

i don't have any usb pref options in the newer versions and if i try to use the usb passthroug app it doesnt work

Any help getting usb tethering to work in the latest ver of FT would be greatly appreciated thanks for your help and for freetether!!!!
    If it helps I'm on a sprint pre plus 1.4.5.
    I had the same problem.

You are on the right track.

Starting with .12, set the USB prefs to the setting you mentioned.
    Close and reopen the app to verify it saved it if you wish.

Then go to Preware (or other method) and update to the latest version. Once picking the usb setting under version .12, it will stick going forward (especially since you can't change it in later versions).

Then you should be all set.

I had set mine to just the USB mode (which would give me access to the USB drive). I didn't use the USBnet options. So I went back to an old version, changed the setting to the one with all the options under USB and then upgraded. It's been working ever since.

Hope that helps some.