Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    LOVE this app! I've purchased the Pre 2 and have been eating up pre-paid data on At&T. I installed freetether on my original Pre and although it stinks carrying two devices, it's saving me a boatload of money! Unfortunately I can't seem to use the bluetooth tethering with the Pre 2, but the wifi works just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    LOVE this app! I've purchased the Pre 2 and have been eating up pre-paid data on At&T. I installed freetether on my original Pre and although it stinks carrying two devices, it's saving me a boatload of money! Unfortunately I can't seem to use the bluetooth tethering with the Pre 2, but the wifi works just fine.
    I don't believe tethering a Pre to Pre2 using BT will work (hardware limit of the BT in the devices: confirmation anyone?).

I'm just another supporter of freeTether... if you enjoy and use the app you might slip the devs a little something in a donation (See OP for Paypal link) if you have not already. It will help in making the app even better.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Thought I would let folks know that I had to remove freeTether because it caused my Wifi to shut down when opened automatically with Mode Switcher. I am back to Mobile HotSpot.
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmyth View Post
    Thought I would let folks know that I had to remove freeTether because it caused my Wifi to shut down when opened automatically with Mode Switcher. I am back to Mobile HotSpot.
    This is more for the Mode Swticher forum, but out of curiosity, how are you setting up your mode?

I use MS and freeTether (even together based on a certain mode), I don't have the issue you are describing.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    @PuffTheMagic I'm curious... Is it possible to adjust the power of the wifi, I was driving in my car and had my wifi set to the original freetether open settings and had a buddy following me in the car next to me and he was able to connect to my phones tether. If it is possible could you try and add an adjustment for wifi power to the app. I would like to cut it to 50% or less so only people inside my car have access.

If it's not possible that's fine, it was just something I thought of while I was using the app.

This app thus far is quite the awesome as is, especially now that I can pass protect my wifi via mamoutons find.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Well first i want to say this is a great app, i've had (almost) no issues with it and ive been using it a lot, ...like daily since the 99.13 release.
    This really came out at a good time for me, ^-^

So i want to make a request then i'll get into my problem (which might be on my end),

The Verizon 'Mobile Hotspot' app makes a 'ding' or such sound every time a device is connected or disconnects, can something similar be implemented in freeTether?
    Its a rather nice indicator for when my devices connect or if for some reason they get kicked off,

Also, can you enable port forwarding somehow? preferably with an 'on/off' button,
    id Love to be able to use HFS through the phones connection, (it doesnt work with the VZ hotspot either granted, but itd be a nice option to have)
    i know thats probably a bit much to ask but yeah, ^-^;
    it'd be nice to have,

And lastly my issue, which like i said might be more on the user side then the app, ^-^;;
    i'm using winXP Home SP2, setup to connect to freeTether automatically, but a lot of the times it just sits there saying 'acquiring network address'. The longest i've let it go was like 10 minutes while i was doing other things. Normally going into my wireless networks then disconnecting and reconnecting sorts it out and it works just fine, though oddly sometimes i can still use the net while this is happening (though not all the time), O_o
    Other times i have to disconnect/reconnect a few times before it works right,
    Now the reason it might be on the user side is i'm just using the default options and havnt touched the TCP/IP settings,
    and no, i dont have this problem with the VZ hotspot and the PC is the only device connected to the phone,
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Hello all,

I purchased a Huawei Ideos S7 android tablet for my wife's birthday, which she loves. However, I have been unsuccessful in connecting to freetether via the S7. In the androidtablets.net forums someone suggested that since Android can't connect to an ad hoc network, that might be the issue. But freetether is not an ad hoc network is it?

Assuming it is not, has anyone had any success connecting an Android device to freetether on a Sprint Palm Pre? If so, can you help me figure out why it's not working?

The S7 sees the hotspot and attempts to connect. I see a message that it is obtaining an IP address and the S7's MAC address shows up in freetether. Then the S7 says "Unsuccessful" and the MAC address disappears. I don't know other information to add. I've tried it with a passphrase and also tried it open and the results are the same. Hopefully someone can guide me to a solution? Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Nathan
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    My Palm Pre Reboots every time I try and turn on USB tethering . It works fine in WiFi mode ... thanks K
    trying to install freetether.

I have successfully installed Preware but freetether is not listed.

Other have done this so I am confused as to why it is not working for me.

Any input would be appreciated.

FYI ... my carrier is Bell in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by laserman View Post

Read the first post in this thread (and all pages linked from the first post). You should always do that before posting in any thread.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by laserman View Post

FYI ... my carrier is Bell in Canada
    Your new friend... the freeTether wiki

It's always the simple things.

Thanks guys.
    I've never tried beta feeds...but want to try this app. I only want it for wifi as a backup. Any word on when it may go out of beta? The whole user agreement saying you must be willing to doctor at any moment kinda freaks me out. Surely a precaution statement. But if it dont work right for me, I'd just uninstall it like a normal app right?
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I've never tried beta feeds...but want to try this app. I only want it for wifi as a backup. Any word on when it may go out of beta? The whole user agreement saying you must be willing to doctor at any moment kinda freaks me out. Surely a precaution statement. But if it dont work right for me, I'd just uninstall it like a normal app right?
    Yes, you'd be able to uninstall it via Preware or other means if you wanted to remove it.

As for the rest of it, I am sure it is appreciated by others that you actually read and understand what you would be getting into before jumping in.

Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    It should work on pre2 yes.

What Security mode? does toggle stay on and dhcp/ipforward leds lit?

Does freetether work on Pre2 in USB tethering? I haved tried to install following three inf from different website, but the XP SP3 message showed the network card cannot be recognized.

windows_usbnet-pre.inf
    RNDIS_Template.inf
    linux.inf
    Have been using freetether via USB to connect my linux box to the internet as my Belkin USB wifi does not work with my MINT 10 distribution (driver issue) and I have not figured out a solution yet.
    As such, burning up data OTA.

Since I have a wifi network at home; is there a way to use freetether as a 'pass thru' via the USB function: turn the Pre wifi on to pick up the home network then pass thru freetether via USB to my linux box? That way I am not sucking down data OTA.

Thoughts? TIA!
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    .....Since I have a wifi network at home; is there a way to use freetether as a 'pass thru' via the USB function: turn the Pre wifi on to pick up the home network then pass thru freetether via USB to my linux box? That way I am not sucking down data OTA. Thoughts? TIA!
    I would suspect that this is not a part of freeTether currently. However, you could add this to the feature request/bug report website they have setup for the project found here.

Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    I would suspect that this is not a part of freeTether currently. However, you could add this to the feature request/bug report website they have setup for the project found here.
    I did not think that freetether had that functionality...thanks for the link; will check it out.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by wlchen323 View Post
    Does freetether work on Pre2 in USB tethering? I haved tried to install following three inf from different website, but the XP SP3 message showed the network card cannot be recognized.

windows_usbnet-pre.inf
    RNDIS_Template.inf
    linux.inf
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. Have you checked out the wiki (See OP for link)? Mainly the part regarding the USB tethering...there is a link there regarding setup of the drivers, etc..

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Thanks to all of you guys who put this together. As much as I would love to participate in the Alpha/Beta testing, my Pre's a daily-driver (so, I would have a hard time matching test-feed rule #1).

A question for those of you currently working through the tests: are any of you owners of the Chapura PocketMirror software? If so, have you encountered any incompatibilities/conflicts between FreeTether and PocketMirror? My assumption is that FreeTether will need to be 'off' before using PocketMirror, however, I hope that is the extent of any issues.
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->