Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by groe886 View Post
    i have been trying to get freetether working for a while and i have ran into some problems. first off my computer does not recognize my pixi as an ethernet gadget, but a network adapter. I am wondering if this is causing problems for my driver setup? any ideas on what I should do. I have gone through all the step by step guides but still cant get it operating. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    By "step-by-step guides", are you referring to the freeTether wiki?

On the wiki under the Usage > USB Tethering section there is a link to setting up USBNet.

If you have not already, try following those steps listed there. If your still having troubles, please report back and be sure to include more info about your environment (computer OS, etc...)

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have the original Palm Pre on Sprint. Can I use a My Tether program with a MAC computer to use my Pre as a hotspot? Can someone give me some instruction (step by step for dummies)? Where can I get the Tether program?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amcfar1974 View Post
    I have the original Palm Pre on Sprint. Can I use a My Tether program with a MAC computer to use my Pre as a hotspot? Can someone give me some instruction (step by step for dummies)? Where can I get the Tether program?
    Thanks
    You need to read a bit before posting, you could have found the answer. The step-by-step instructions are on the wiki which I have posted many times in recent posts, plus it was added to the OP.

The wiki gives you steps for installing and using freeTether.

Good luck.
    Well done kiddies! freeTether just what the Dr. ordered. Finally I am unloosed, Thanks!☩
    All Preware feeds are on. I used both of these methods (from the wiki). freeTether is not there.

Method

The following method is the recommend way to install freeTether. By installing with Preware, you'll be certain to have access to the latest versions of freeTether.

Preware

1. Open Preware
    2. Start typing “freetether” (no quotes), then press the enter/return key.
    3. Tap freeTether from the list
    4. Tap the Install button

Or

1. Open Preware
    2. Tap Available Packages
    3. Tap Application > System Utilities
    4. Tap freeTether from the list
    5. Tap the Install button
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmyth View Post
    All Preware feeds are on. I used both of these methods (from the wiki). freeTether is not there.

Method

The following method is the recommend way to install freeTether. By installing with Preware, you'll be certain to have access to the latest versions of freeTether.

Preware

1. Open Preware

Or

1. Open Preware
    We should get a mod to move that post and my reply to the freeTether forum thread. (Please!) If it gets moved into that thread, others with more info on Preware might be able to chime in.

I don't know what to tell you off the top of my head right now.

What version of webOS are you running? What device?

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Is it me, or is Freetether is not showing up on preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by lukshen View Post
    Is it me, or is Freetether is not showing up on preware?
    Have you enabled the testing feeds (Both of them) in Preware?

The wiki (See OP for link) contains the information needed to install and use freeTether.
    Last edited by oakridge outdoors; 02/03/2011 at 02:19 PM.

<posts 565 & 566 moved and merged here>
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, FINALLY donated just now, sorry it took so long! I still have a question/request, though. It looks like there's been a hiatus in development after the feverish pitch leading up to .13. Any estimate on when further development or releases might start up again?

Also, there is one feature remaining that would make my particular set up much easier, and that is if Freetether would remember to enable Wifi routing when it starts. Currently when I turn it off manually or through Mode Switcher, then start it back up again, wifi is disabled. Please can you offer a "on start" option or some other way so that I don't have do mess with Freetether every time I want to use it? Modeswitcher let's me turn it on and off automatically, but without enabling wifi it still requires manual intervention on my part, which I'm hoping to avoid.

Thanks again for the great app and looking forward to future versions!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by wsmyth View Post

Method

Preware

1. Open Preware

Or

1. Open Preware
    Seems like you probably skipped the steps that say that you need to Add & Enable BOTH testing feeds in preware first

How many times do people need to be told to RTFW?

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Ok, FINALLY donated just now, sorry it took so long! I still have a question/request, though. It looks like there's been a hiatus in development after the feverish pitch leading up to .13. Any estimate on when further development or releases might start up again?

Also, there is one feature remaining that would make my particular set up much easier, and that is if Freetether would remember to enable Wifi routing when it starts. Currently when I turn it off manually or through Mode Switcher, then start it back up again, wifi is disabled. Please can you offer a "on start" option or some other way so that I don't have do mess with Freetether every time I want to use it? Modeswitcher let's me turn it on and off automatically, but without enabling wifi it still requires manual intervention on my part, which I'm hoping to avoid.

Thanks again for the great app and looking forward to future versions!

There is a link on the wiki to the bug/feature portal used for freeTether. You can submit your feature request for launch params there if it has not been done already.

(I too would find this handy)
    Last edited by oakridge outdoors; 02/05/2011 at 10:56 PM.
    just installed FT 99.13 on my AT&T palm pre. can't get to the WIFI PREFS.
    i've already unistalled FT and then re-installed it.
    help.

RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ronfucci View Post
    just installed FT 99.13 on my AT&T palm pre. can't get to the WIFI PREFS.
    i've already unistalled FT and then re-installed it.
    help.

RF
    Did you try restarting your device?
    (0.99.13) The prefs seem to be in read only mode as any change to the wifi name and encryption get wiped out in favor of freeTether and open every time you enable. Also, 9/10 of the time the application says everything is active and green but the routing isn't happening for me. Lastly, the USB tethering seems to cause my system to freak out and constantly repeat device connected, disconnected and could be faster even though it's on a 2.0 port.

Otherwise when it works it's good and has a nice GUI.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    I'd like to thank you for the development of this app on behalf of my dad as he has been using this for his work outside of home.
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    (0.99.13) The prefs seem to be in read only mode as any change to the wifi name and encryption get wiped out in favor of freeTether and open every time you enable. Also, 9/10 of the time the application says everything is active and green but the routing isn't happening for me. Lastly, the USB tethering seems to cause my system to freak out and constantly repeat device connected, disconnected and could be faster even though it's on a 2.0 port.

Otherwise when it works it's good and has a nice GUI.
    mamouton discovered last night that if you edit your WiFi settings, backswipe, close the app, then reopen, it retains your settings and doesn't revert to freeTether and open.

But right now I'm pretty sure that if you don't close the app after any changes, it doesn't retain them when you turn on the WiFi broadcasting.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Thank you so much for developing this.

I do have one question, does the tether stay on even after it is closed? It seems that when I use the tethering, it stays on even if I have the phone in airplane mode. I have to restart the phone to turn it off completely.

Besides that, it works great!
    Love the functionality and the simple UI! I have only one issue--the same one as the previous poster. When FT is closed, it seems to drain the battery much more quickly than usual (as if the program was still open), and rebooting the phone seems to be the only way to stop the high drain.
    AD2050 & SoxFan, which version are you using? As of 0.99.11, the tethering services stop when the app is closed. See the wiki here... Application:FreeTether - WebOS Internals

My wife & I both use freeTether on our Pres 5+ days a week and neither of us have a battery drain issue. I do make it a habit of turning the service off before I close the card though.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.