Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 172223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wamiller View Post
    My results are very similar to yours. Upload is substantially faster than download.
    Having the same issue with my iPad (and Sprint Pre-). Would love any tips on how to increase DL speeds - thanks!!
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grzzlycanuck View Post
    Is the slow download via iPad a known issue? If so, is there anything I can gather to help assist in diagnosing the issue if the root cause is not known?
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawrnce View Post
    Having the same issue with my iPad (and Sprint Pre-). Would love any tips on how to increase DL speeds - thanks!!
    Looks like you answered your own question(s). You've isolated the iPad as being slower. You need to look at the iPad, it's not the network/Pre. I haven't messed with one but do you have any way to look at or set/change network config on the iPad? Like tweaking buffers etc. There are lots of tips about speeding up network throughput for Window's, and I'd imagine for MAC too, maybe for the iPad now?
    I quite often get the what's new screen when I first load the app, like it just received an update but it hasn't. Anyone else?
    GREAT PRODUCT! Happy to donate and pass on my thanks.

As a quick note. This may be user error. But, for some reason I cannot get my preferences to save when I change them. E.g. I tried to change the Wi-fi security to WPA2 and the DHCP leases to 1. But, when I exited back out, they did not save. I didn't see a save button. Too, I thought maybe it would only work once the Wi-Fi connection was established. But, just the opposite. Once the connection is running, all changes are blocked (which makes sense when I thought about it, BTW).

Any suggestions on where I might be making a mistake?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    I could have messed something up with the prefs/cookie, I will look into this....
    For me, I have no problems with freeTether remembering my wifi settings as along as I don't change any other setting. Trying to change the TCP/IP prefs never sticks.

Example: I change my wireless network name. I turn on the wifi tethering and all is good. If I were to change the wireless network name, then try and change another setting say in the TCP/IP prefs, then start the wifi tethering, the wireless network name reverts to what it was.

I think it is something with the prefs/cookie.

I was watching the logs for freeTether, but never saw errors or messages relating to when I would change a setting. I only saw messages when the service was started and stopped. Nothing to report from the logs.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Do what I did:

-Open app.
    -Change wifi settings without turning on tethering.
    -Close app.
    -Reopen and use to your heart's content.
    Thanks! I should have searched, my apologies.
    No luck with usb tethering still. When I try to mess with my connection settings my pc just freezes up. Anyone who has gotten usb to work, all you did was install the driver and go? I'm pretty new to messing with ip settings, it's driving me crazy lol. Would love to get this running as it would be my only net connection for my pc atm.

on the webos-internal page about setting up usbnet, it says to run enable usbnet. Freetether does that for us when we toggle usbtether on?
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    Looks like you answered your own question(s). You've isolated the iPad as being slower. You need to look at the iPad, it's not the network/Pre.
    Thanks for the feedback. Actually, the Mac and iPad both test out to 15Mbps downloads when on my home wireless, so I know it can move some data.
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    For me, I have no problems with freeTether remembering my wifi settings as along as I don't change any other setting. Trying to change the TCP/IP prefs never sticks.

Example: I change my wireless network name. I turn on the wifi tethering and all is good. If I were to change the wireless network name, then try and change another setting say in the TCP/IP prefs, then start the wifi tethering, the wireless network name reverts to what it was.

I think it is something with the prefs/cookie.

I was watching the logs for freeTether, but never saw errors or messages relating to when I would change a setting. I only saw messages when the service was started and stopped. Nothing to report from the logs.
    I noticed the same issue with freetether last night. It was actually the first time I tried to use the new 0.99.x version for real. For some reason my DSL line was down at home and I needed to get to the internet.

Anyhow, here is my problem. FreeTether defaults to an network name of “freetether” which is open, so before activating wifi I went to the settings and changed the network name, set security to WPA2 Personal and added a passphrase. I then backswiped and enabled wifi. For some reason the wifi network defaulted back to “freetether” and open.

I then shut it off and tried to reapply my desired network settings, backed out of wifi settings and went back in to make sure the settings stayed the same (which they did). So I activate wifi and bam, back to “freetether” and open.

The only fix I found was to set my desired settings and then close the app without enabling wifi tethering. After reopening the app, my settings stayed as I had entered them and enabling wifi gave me a secure wifi hotspot with my desired network name. Sorry if this was posted earlier.
    I've been trying to download this on my pre, but it won't pop up on the testing feeds... I have it enabled and it seems webos-internals is giving me a 505 error. Help please!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspsych07 View Post
    I've been trying to download this on my pre, but it won't pop up on the testing feeds... I have it enabled and it seems webos-internals is giving me a 505 error. Help please!
    Do you have both testing feeds enabled. You need two of them. See the freeTether wiki for steps on setting up the testing feeds and installing freeTether.

I do know that WebOS-Internals was having issues with their webos-internals.org server earlier today (per the tweet that went out). Not sure if it has been resolved or not, but that also could be having an effect on why you're having problems.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I can't seem to get my wi-fi to work. when I go to that section, it says "null" in the ip address field
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    Do you have both testing feeds enabled. You need two of them. See the freeTether wiki for steps on setting up the testing feeds and installing freeTether.

I do know that WebOS-Internals was having issues with their webos-internals.org server earlier today (per the tweet that went out). Not sure if it has been resolved or not, but that also could be having an effect on why you're having problems.
    I've been trying to get freetether for a WHIIIILE now, but never could. And the wiki page is still down. And I didn't know that since I don't have twitter (no time). But I'll try to figure it out some other time... Thanks for the information...
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspsych07 View Post
    I've been trying to get freetether for a WHIIIILE now, but never could. And the wiki page is still down. And I didn't know that since I don't have twitter (no time). But I'll try to figure it out some other time... Thanks for the information...
    Try to see if you can pull up the testing feeds page via the cached copy on Google.

Here is what I grabbed from the Google cache of the testings feed page...
    You'll need the "All" feed and then the feed pertaining to your device.

Note that you will need to enable *TWO* feeds below. You need the *ALL* feed and you need the device-specific feed as well (armv7, armv6 or i686).

Target Device: ALL
    Name: webos-testing-all
    URL: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/all/

Target Device: Pre/Pre+/Pre2
    Name: webos-testing-armv7
    URL: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7/

Target Device: Pixi/Pixi+
    Name: webos-testing-armv6
    URL: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv6/

I think they have moved the Preware feeds off to another server, so they should work for you (pending the DNS changes propagated). The feeds seem to be up and working, so if you get both feeds added to Preware, you should be in business.

15. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    im using os x 10.5 with my pixi. i've plugged in the device via usb and enabled tethering in free tether. what am i doing wrong?
  16.    #536  
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I am not ignoring these recent bugs with the cookie/prefs. I've been busy working on some conference papers. I will get to these issues asap.
  17. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    when using the webos internals link for the pre usbnet driver on xp 32 bit, it won't accept it for my pixi. doing some searching showed a pixi network driver. using this shows a connection attempting to be made, however my system runs very slowly. killing novacomd service makes that connection disappear.
    i went into show network connections and it says it is disabled. i hit enable and nothing triggers it to work. frustrating, but hopefully i can finally get it to work

went into manually change settings after resetting the usb connection, and the system locked up. unplugged it and i regained control. don't know *** is going on here

AND I FINALLY GOT IT!

After disconnecting/reconnecting a few times, it finally worked. novacomd is not running. I copied the dhcp info into the tcp/ip option in windows network settings. i set the dns to the default gateway. all ships are a go! sprint is very slow though

ended up locking up on me again. don't know if its this pixi network driver, the system itself(xp does suck), or freetether, but either way, I think I am going to call it quits for the day. I will try it on my windows 7 machine later and report on that.
    Last edited by Lkr; 01/22/2011 at 12:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkr View Post
    im using os x 10.5 with my pixi. i've plugged in the device via usb and enabled tethering in free tether. what am i doing wrong?
    no usbnet driver for macintosh. I am in the same boat, trying to figure out a way to make one from existing ones.

To the extent that you want to participate in the adventure of working out a solution, the ProductID and VendorID for the Palm Pre are 0101 and 0830, respectively.

Good luck!!
  19. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    no usbnet driver for macintosh. I am in the same boat, trying to figure out a way to make one from existing ones.

To the extent that you want to participate in the adventure of working out a solution, the ProductID and VendorID for the Palm Pre are 0101 and 0830, respectively.

Good luck!!
    Do we know the information for the Pixi? I am not a Pre user
    Will the launch parameter be available? I have setup a mode to launch when in the car and would like it to just turn on if possible.