Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw View Post
    I do need to use USB. I need the drivers to make it work on my desktop pc (windows xp pro). Is the USB option faster that the Wi-Fi option? I've been using the mobile hotspot hack on my Sprint Pre, so will that cause some type of conflict in my Pre, cause I cant get the Wi-Fi feature workin in free tether
    This page over at the WebOS-Internals site was very helpful in getting USB tethering working.

Last I heard it was recommended to remove tethering solutions (including previous versions of freeTether and MHS) before installing this version of freeTether. I believe freeTether and MHS can be on the device at the same time, but until they play nicely together, there are some tricks to get one or the other working if you flip between them; read back through the pages of the thread, I believe it was mentioned a few times.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    I said before I was going to try it again in OS X and maybe Windows but I had the opportunity to use Ubuntu 10.10. Here's my results.

Bluetooth is still a no go. For discovery to be enabled, I must switch to Bluetooth preferences. However, Ubuntu doesn't recognize the phone as able to support networking, as I get no options with it.

Wifi worked, but freetether refused to save my settings for a closed network. Every time I changed it, it reverted back to the default open freetether labeled network. I don't think this happened on previous versions. It did finally stick when I changed the settings, quit, and reopened without enabling wifi. However, wifi worked great and the quick browsing I did showed little difference from my Linksys g router. In fact, I'm posting this via wifi tethering.

Device is an AT&T Pixi+. This was done after a clean install as well (deleted freetether-phone restart-reinstall-phone restart). I would have attached the DBus capture but Lumberjack only allows copying of one line at a time. For as long as it was, this would have been too tedious. Is there a way to copy everything at once? I'll see if maybe I can hook it up via USB and copy-paste from Terminal. I'm also somewhat stuck as my HD for my laptop is corrupt so I'm left with only what I can get my hands on at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    ... I would have attached the DBus capture but Lumberjack only allows copying of one line at a time. For as long as it was, this would have been too tedious. Is there a way to copy everything at once?...
    Yep.

Tap one of the rows/entries in the log. You should get a menu with "Copy" and "Copy From Here" as the options. Tap the "Copy From Here" at the point you want to start at.

Then find where you want to stop at. Tap that row/entry and this time select the "... To Here" option from the menu.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Hi. I have a Verizon Pre Plus. Of course, I have the Mobile Hot Spot App. But the Verizon App has that 5 Gig Cap on it, or how ever much it is, I dont remember. So its free up to 5 Gigs then I have to pay. If I use this, its not associated with that in any way right? It is uncapped and free and verizon wont see it as me using the mobile hot spot app?
    Ubuntu 10.10.
    Bluetooth is still a no go. For discovery to be enabled, I must switch to Bluetooth preferences. However, Ubuntu doesn't recognize the phone as able to support networking, as I get no options with it.
    After pairing Ubuntu with Palm is complete, on last screen of "add wizard" you don't have "Use your mobile phone as network device (PAN/NAP)" ?
    I check it and in Network Manager is added "Network YOUR_PALM_NAME".

I don't have pixi+, i have Pre GSM O2, but this work fine for me.
    I test on viliv n5 netbook with Ubuntu 10.10.

Primary i use freeTether over USB with desktop Ubuntu 10.04. - work plug&play
    i try tethering method all at once on PalmPreGSM-O2_DE:
    wifi - notebook with Kubuntu 10.04
    bt - netbook with Ubuntu 10.10
    usb - desktop with Ubuntu 10.04

work fine, in Connections is show wifi and bt with right name, usb is not show
  7.    #507  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I noticed on 0.99.13 the new TCP/IP settings will not stick for me if I try to change them. I'll input the new settings, swipe back, then go back to the options, and they will be back to the original settings. This is on a Verizon Pixi Plus and no matter what setting I change.
    I could have messed something up with the prefs/cookie, I will look into this....
  8.    #508  
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    Reproducible bug (I think, at least).

Pre 2 GSM running 2.0.1

When I turn on WiFi tethering, both DHCP Server and IP Forwarding lights turn green. If I exit out (i.e., with a tap and flick up) with WiFi tethering in On position, then re-open, the WiFi tethering indicator is in the "Off" position, the DHCP light has turned off, but the IP Forwarding light is still green. To get the IP Forwarding light to turn off, I need to turn WiFi tethering back on again, then back off.

I believe that the IP Forwarding light should be turning off HOWEVER I turn off WiFi Tethering (e.g., via tap and flick up).

Thanks again for a great program, though. Donation on the way.

P.S. I had my first experience with the wonders of GSM simultaneous voice and data just yesterday, when I was on the Pre 2 phone with Palm customer care explaining that "yes, my Verizon Pre Plus can run WebOS 2.0 and here is the link to prove it" (was doing a swap out due to defective Pre Plus keyboard), all as I was tethering with my computer to get to the link to give to the Palm customer care rep. It was pretty awesome to be able to do that (though my battery got HAMMERED during the 30 min call).
    ipforwarding is enabled/disabled simply by enabling a bit in the kernel it does not cause any extra drain nor does it pose a security risk if its always enabled so dont worry about it being on.... that being said, at somepoint we will get everything worked out such that when all the toggles are off ip_forwarding and dhcp are also off
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Works great! thanks guys, keep up the good work!

I approached the developers of freeTether a few weeks back about helping them out with updating the freeTether wiki page. I figured their time is more valuable working on this awesome app than banging out some wiki content.

So here is a link to the updated freeTether wiki page: Application:FreeTether - WebOS Internals

I'd like to think I've covered everything the app does up to this point. I've tried to explain everything as best as I could. If there is anything missing or needs correcting, please let me know. I will fix it. As things change with the app, I'll do my best to keep the wiki page updated as quickly as I can.

Configuring clients for USB tethering is one thing really not covered in detail on the wiki, however there is a link in the Usage section for USB tethering that points to a WebOS-Internals wiki page for setting up USBNet.

Thanks & Enjoy!

@PuffTheMagic

Maybe the OP could be updated to include the wiki link?

Thanks again to you and egaudet for this awesome app!

Quote Originally Posted by k3dar View Post
    After pairing Ubuntu with Palm is complete, on last screen of "add wizard" you don't have "Use your mobile phone as network device (PAN/NAP)" ?
    I check it and in Network Manager is added "Network YOUR_PALM_NAME".

I don't have pixi+, i have Pre GSM O2, but this work fine for me.
    I test on viliv n5 netbook with Ubuntu 10.10.

Primary i use freeTether over USB with desktop Ubuntu 10.04. - work plug&play
    I'll try it again and see what happens, but last time after connecting, it just said finished and gave me no other option. The Bluetooth menu didn't even show the device, just only in the preference screen. I'll also try with the Centro this week.

Also, I'll attach the DBus now that I know how to copy it from there. Thanks guys.
    bassman97: currently freeTether support over BT only PAN (Personal Area Network) connection, but Centro support only DUN (DialUp Networking) connection to share internet from BT device, so Centro not work with freeTether.
    Quote Originally Posted by k3dar View Post
    bassman97: currently freeTether support over BT only PAN (Personal Area Network) connection, but Centro support only DUN (DialUp Networking) connection to share internet from BT device, so Centro not work with freeTether.
    Within the connection pref pane, I can set-up bluetooth local networks. Plus from digging around, it appears it works with Windows PAN. If not, then maybe including LAN cababilities for supporting older devices may be beneficial.
    I've been trying to use freetether with my iPad. Using the SpeedTest.Net app, I'm only getting speeds of around 80-140kbps down, but my upload speed is around 500kpbs.

When using my mac to compare speeds, it is downloading at 1.2 - 2Mbps, with a similar upload.

Is the slow download via iPad a known issue? If so, is there anything I can gather to help assist in diagnosing the issue if the root cause is not known?

Thanks,
    -grzzly

Is
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grzzlycanuck View Post
    I've been trying to use freetether with my iPad. Using the SpeedTest.Net app, I'm only getting speeds of around 80-140kbps down, but my upload speed is around 500kpbs.
    My results are very similar to yours. Upload is substantially faster than download.
    I just installed the application and wanted to thank everyone who worked on this for their hard work. It is incredibly useful!

I did run into a small glitch on my phone though: Whenever I click on "wifi" and set up a different network name and security password, then turn on wifi tethering on the main screen the settings are not saved and the phone broadcasts an open wifi network with the default name "FreeTethering". I could just be doing something stupid, but I thought I would bring it up.

Thanks again for the hard work!
    Did you change your network name on the phone? Did you assign it a password? You do that in the freetether place. Open the app and hit wifi and another screen will pop up to allow you to change the name and assign it a passphrase. That will keep it set.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by kezeka View Post
    I just installed the application and wanted to thank everyone who worked on this for their hard work. It is incredibly useful!

I did run into a small glitch on my phone though: Whenever I click on "wifi" and set up a different network name and security password, then turn on wifi tethering on the main screen the settings are not saved and the phone broadcasts an open wifi network with the default name "FreeTethering". I could just be doing something stupid, but I thought I would bring it up.

Thanks again for the hard work!
    I am running into this same problem. I will tap "WIFI" to set a network name and security password. Once turning on WIFI as a tethered interface, however, it changes to default (SSID: freeTether, no password).

Closing and re-opening the app makes no difference. I will try a restart and report back.

Otherwise, amazing job and thank you!

Edit: Restarting my Pre made no difference.
    Last edited by thermodynamic; 01/20/2011 at 04:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    I am running into this same problem. I will tap "WIFI" to set a network name and security password. Once turning on WIFI as a tethered interface, however, it changes to default (SSID: freeTether, no password).

Closing and re-opening the app makes no difference. I will try a restart and report back.

Otherwise, amazing job and thank you!

Edit: Restarting my Pre made no difference.
    Do what I did:

-Open app.
    -Change wifi settings without turning on tethering.
    -Close app.
    -Reopen and use to your heart's content.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Do what I did:

-Open app.
    -Change wifi settings without turning on tethering.
    -Close app.
    -Reopen and use to your heart's content.
    Ditto. Post #490 a few days ago. I did the same thing. Glad it wasn't just me and may be a change (?). Whatever it is, it's sweet, and much better than My Tether which I had still been running.