Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    hey guys I'm stuck with usb tether. I installed the RNDIS internet sharing device after I installed ft 99.12 and enabled usbnet. When I connect my pre n turn on usb tether the network adaptor page shows the RNDIS installed but it won't connect to the internet. I go to network n sharing center n it shows that there is a problem connectin to the network. It tried to get new IP settings but that didn't solve problem. It say to plug a cable into the network adapter "local area connection" or unplug modem for 10 sec then try again, I tried both n nothing! Any suggestion or help would be greatly appriciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang94 View Post
    hey guys I'm stuck with usb tether. I installed the RNDIS internet sharing device after I installed ft 99.12 and enabled usbnet. When I connect my pre n turn on usb tether the network adaptor page shows the RNDIS installed but it won't connect to the internet. I go to network n sharing center n it shows that there is a problem connectin to the network. It tried to get new IP settings but that didn't solve problem. It say to plug a cable into the network adapter "local area connection" or unplug modem for 10 sec then try again, I tried both n nothing! Any suggestion or help would be greatly appriciated.
    I am having the same problem on Win 7. Keeps saying invalid IP configuration, or plug cable into network adapter and try again.

Wifi worked great!

Many kudos to the developers on this app!
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    If you do not have an EV connection on your phone you will not have internet..
    Thank you for the report, if you would like to add it to redmine you may do so otherwise I will try to reproduce and add it when I get a chance.

freeTether - Issues - WebOS Internals Redmine

Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Ryan, Eric, and WOSI,

...snip...

That being said, I've noticed some strange BT behavior from my Pre 2 since installing FT. Sometimes after turning off, then exiting FT after a WiFi tethering session, then shortly thereafter enabling my Motorola T505 BT adapter, the BT connection randomly exhibits two different symptoms I've been unable to manually force to replicate in a controlled situation.

...snip...

Thanks,
    Barry
    Interesting results, it will be hard for me to reproduce in the immediate future but if you could log it into redmine we'll remember to dig into it at some point. Thanks for the detailed report!

Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    Out of curiosity... when the DHCP controls are added eventually (which will be awesome), would it be possible/feasible to have the ability to control/setup separate networks for each tethered interface (e.g. 10.1.1.0/24 for WiFi, 192.168.1.0/24 for USB, etc...)?

...snip...
    I think this would be very unlikely. The current implementation uses a single bridge for all interfaces. During my early service testing I was unable to use anything except bridge0. I initially wanted to use bridge1 to stay clear of MHS but only bridge0 worked. Maybe bridge1 would work if bridge0 is already up but I'm not quite sure what the use case would be for this. In general I'd think people would want their devices on the same subnet. If there's enough demand for it in the future we may revisit but I don't think we can prioritize it anytime in the immediate future. If it's something you would have a use for and want in a future version feel free to add a feature request to redmine.

I just wanted to throw a quick request for all alpha testers with bug reports. If you can reproduce your symptoms reliably, it would benefit us greatly to attach some log output as well as dbus/ls2 captures.

With Lumberjack you can capture the relevant log information by using the "follow log" option with custom... type, typing in "freetether" in text box. Also you can capture the dbus (webOS 1.4.5) or ls2 (webOS 2.0+) via Lumberjack as well using the id "org.webosinternals.freetether".

Alternatively you can do it via command line (ssh, novaterm, etc...)

For Log:

tail -f /var/log/messages |grep freetether

For D-Bus (webOS 1.4.5-)

dbus-util --capture org.webosinternals.freetether

For LS2 (webOS 2.x)

ls2-monitor -f org.webosinternals.freetether

Please remember to start capturing logs/dbus/ls2 BEFORE reproducing the bug

Puff, if you read this please update the first post with the log/dbus/ls2 instructions. Thanks

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    ...I think this would be very unlikely. The current implementation uses a single bridge for all interfaces. During my early service testing I was unable to use anything except bridge0. I initially wanted to use bridge1 to stay clear of MHS but only bridge0 worked. Maybe bridge1 would work if bridge0 is already up but I'm not quite sure what the use case would be for this. In general I'd think people would want their devices on the same subnet. If there's enough demand for it in the future we may revisit but I don't think we can prioritize it anytime in the immediate future. If it's something you would have a use for and want in a future version feel free to add a feature request to redmine...
    Thank you for the response.

My thoughts about having separate networks for the different interfaces comes from past experiences when at remote client sites where having such a feature would allow for testing of different network services, firewalls, vpns, etc... between devices operating on the different interfaces (subnets) where as not to affect a production network.

I liken it somewhat to how you can setup different network setups in programs like VMWare (or your favorite VM solution) where you can have different VMs on bridged or nat'd networks etc...

I understand that any use case for such a feature would be limited to a certain group that could find it useful. I agree that most would like to have their devices on the same subnet. For the sheer chance that is remotely possibly to do, I will go ahead and add it to redmine fully understanding that it would be very low priority for a possible (way down the road) future release.

Thanks again for the detailed response. Much appreciated.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  5.    #485  
    Thanks for your reply.

I guess I knew what the acronyms meant by themselves... maybe what I was trying to ask is what do each of those settings exactly do while tethering USB to a computer?

Such as UMS, while tethering USB to a computer, does that mean my Pre would also be available as a mass storage device?

I'd rather have good info put out there instead of my assumptions, so please excuse the naivety regarding my questions on this topic.

Hopefully I'm not the only one wondering.

Thanks again PuffTheMagic.
    The different settings are just what features are available at a given time. Any of the options that have usbnet will allow you to tether over usb.
    so I uninstalled the driver and redid the whole thing step by step. My network connection is showing up in the connection tab, but fails to connect. Wifi worked great, brought it to a family members who has a laptop and it worked rightaway.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    The different settings are just what features are available at a given time. Any of the options that have usbnet will allow you to tether over usb.
    After I got the USB tethering working, I went back and played around with the other options to see what would happen. I got the answer I was looking for. At the time of my post I was looking for a quick answer in lieu of doing further testing at a later time.

I guess it makes sense to me to not even really provide an option to pick for the USB prefs, if all that is needed to tether is the USBNet.

Thanks again for the reply.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Did you tap the wifi line (anywhere to the left of the on/off switch)? You'll be able to change the SSID and pick whether your network is open or WPA2 Personal.
    I've done that but can't get it to change. With WiFi off, I can change it, but it reverts right back.

It's got to be something simple that I'm missing??
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    I've done that but can't get it to change. With WiFi off, I can change it, but it reverts right back.

It's got to be something simple that I'm missing??
    That's not normal. There must be something else wrong or something conflicting with freeTether.

Before you installed freeTether, did you remove the previous versions (freeTether and freeTetherD) and Mobile Hotspot?

Did you restart your phone after installing freeTether?

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    That's not normal. There must be something else wrong or something conflicting with freeTether.

Before you installed freeTether, did you remove the previous versions (freeTether and freeTetherD) and Mobile Hotspot?

Did you restart your phone after installing freeTether?
    I got it.

It's actually a brand new phone. (other thread) mine died and Sprint ended up giving me a brand new one so I've just gotten Preware installed and starting to get everything else set up. I tried this before installing My Tether, and I'm so glad I did.

The solution was to change the SSID and security settings, then close freeTether. After reopening it, it's all saved.

No matter what, without closing and opening it, it would revert back to the default freeTether and open.

1st netbook connected fine. 2 more to try, but it looks great!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    I got it.

It's actually a brand new phone. (other thread) mine died and Sprint ended up giving me a brand new one so I've just gotten Preware installed and starting to get everything else set up. I tried this before installing My Tether, and I'm so glad I did.

The solution was to change the SSID and security settings, then close freeTether. After reopening it, it's all saved.

No matter what, without closing and opening it, it would revert back to the default freeTether and open.

1st netbook connected fine. 2 more to try, but it looks great!!
    Well I still think something is wonky. I don't have to close and reopen freeTether for my changes to stick. Just sayin...
    glad it's working anyway
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Well I still think something is wonky. I don't have to close and reopen freeTether for my changes to stick. Just sayin...
    Got the same problem on a Pre 2.

I just installed 0.99.13 on two French phones: Pre Plus (been using Preware for a long time and played with MHT and old versions of FreeTether), and a Pre 2 which is mostly factory fresh - no patches, never had MHT installed nor FreeTether, only an attempt to use LED Torch (it had to install Jason's SysMgrToolsService too I think). LED didn't work and I uninstalled it.

Wifi tethering works well on both.

On the Pre 2 however, I couldn't make the SSID and WPA key changes stick. Although I could see my changes going back and forth between the scenes, when I flip the on/off button, the connection reverts to "freeTether" with no key.

I'm going to try do the change and close suggested when my pop-in-law brings the Pre 2 back (it's his phone). Would logs from Lumberjack it be helpful?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that freeTether was easy for Eric and Ryan to develop. It's an incredibly complex application under the hood, and the fact that such extreme complexity can have such a concise and easy to use interface is a credit to those developers.

-- Rod
    Well with the speed they got it out to us, one would think it was easy. Along with all the other apps webOS Internals develops.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Well with the speed they got it out to us, one would think it was easy. Along with all the other apps webOS Internals develops.
    freeTether has been under development for over a year ...

Neither are the other apps 'easy'.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    freeTether has been under development for over a year ...

Neither are the other apps 'easy'.

-- Rod
    Wasn't freeTether put on pause for a while, though? What I was trying to say was your team makes things look easy to the average user by how quickly you seem to get things done when you all have lives, etc. Geez, why so serious? Lighten up.
  17.    #497  
    After I got the USB tethering working, I went back and played around with the other options to see what would happen. I got the answer I was looking for. At the time of my post I was looking for a quick answer in lieu of doing further testing at a later time.

I guess it makes sense to me to not even really provide an option to pick for the USB prefs, if all that is needed to tether is the USBNet.

Thanks again for the reply.
    The plan is to make it more stream lined in the future but the problem is that not all possible combinations of all the states are compatible with each other and/or allowed so if someone has a particular "default" setup it might not be so easy to just add usbnet to it.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Solen View Post
    I would say for the simplest way that doesn't require driver installs, stick to using the WIFI option in the freeTether app if you have a Pre.
    Launch freeTether, toggle the WIFI option inside the freeTether app ON, and that makes your Pre into a mini hotspot. In freeTether, if you click on the area where it says "WIFI"(to the left of the ON/OFF toggle), it'll bring up the options to setup the SSID and WPA2 security passphrase of your choice, or you can choose to make it Open forgoing security, very similar to setting up a home router. Once set and turned ON, with your other device(a laptop, iPod, whatever) you search for the SSID and connect, and you should now have internet connection on that other device using the Pre as the source.

If you need to use either USB or Bluetooth tethering instead of WIFI, look through this thread and you should find some instructions on how to get those working for you. Also, make sure you at least have the latest version of freeTether 0.99.12(as of this post) or above installed(the developers are continuously working to update the app to add/fix features), and try and donate for their hard work if you can. Good Luck!

I do need to use USB. I need the drivers to make it work on my desktop pc (windows xp pro). Is the USB option faster that the Wi-Fi option? I've been using the mobile hotspot hack on my Sprint Pre, so will that cause some type of conflict in my Pre, cause I cant get the Wi-Fi feature workin in free tether
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    I noticed on 0.99.13 the new TCP/IP settings will not stick for me if I try to change them. I'll input the new settings, swipe back, then go back to the options, and they will be back to the original settings. This is on a Verizon Pixi Plus and no matter what setting I change.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Reproducible bug (I think, at least).

Pre 2 GSM running 2.0.1

When I turn on WiFi tethering, both DHCP Server and IP Forwarding lights turn green. If I exit out (i.e., with a tap and flick up) with WiFi tethering in On position, then re-open, the WiFi tethering indicator is in the "Off" position, the DHCP light has turned off, but the IP Forwarding light is still green. To get the IP Forwarding light to turn off, I need to turn WiFi tethering back on again, then back off.

I believe that the IP Forwarding light should be turning off HOWEVER I turn off WiFi Tethering (e.g., via tap and flick up).

Thanks again for a great program, though. Donation on the way.

P.S. I had my first experience with the wonders of GSM simultaneous voice and data just yesterday, when I was on the Pre 2 phone with Palm customer care explaining that "yes, my Verizon Pre Plus can run WebOS 2.0 and here is the link to prove it" (was doing a swap out due to defective Pre Plus keyboard), all as I was tethering with my computer to get to the link to give to the Palm customer care rep. It was pretty awesome to be able to do that (though my battery got HAMMERED during the 30 min call).