Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicembaylor View Post
    I simply can't get Wifi to work no matter what I do. =( I can get devices to connect to my phone (it's broadcasting a wifi signal), but there's no internet connection.

I have a Pre Plus on ATT.
    Everytime I connect my laptop I don't get an internet signal until I open a browser. Once in a blue moon, Vista would tell me that I may need to open a browser to complete the connection.

Works fine for me every time & I tether 5 nights a week at work.

Have you tried that?

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I'm finding since using this that my Pre goes into 1x mode way more often and usually only when wifi tether is turned on. Anyone else observing this? It's so painfully slow in 1x..
    I noticed that too when I was using MHS. Just go into your phone preferences and make sure that Data Roaming is OFF. Of course, if you have your voice network set to Sprint Only (or whatever carrier) then data roaming is already off, but obviously that's not your case... yet.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    When freeTether hits 1.0, everyone should hit Engadget and other blogs up with the story. This app will be epic goodness.
    Not sure I agree with you on that. Isn't that kind of rubbing the carriers' noses in the fact that we're sidestepping something they want to charge us for and thus pushing them toward looking for ways to block it? I'm of the opinion that when you're getting away with something, drawing more attention to yourself isn't really the best strategy.

The folks behind this certainly deserve recognition from this community (both in the form of simple gratitude and in the form of cash donations). I'm not sure yelling from the hilltops about their accomplishment really helps the cause.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    I noticed that too when I was using MHS. Just go into your phone preferences and make sure that Data Roaming is OFF. Of course, if you have your voice network set to Sprint Only (or whatever carrier) then data roaming is already off, but obviously that's not your case... yet.
    Wow, thanks! I'm noticing a huge difference just since doing that. I always thought I wanted that on for when I was in places there was no Sprint, but apparently it messes with things when you do have a good Sprint signal?
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    Everytime I connect my laptop I don't get an internet signal until I open a browser. Once in a blue moon, Vista would tell me that I may need to open a browser to complete the connection.

Works fine for me every time & I tether 5 nights a week at work.

Have you tried that?
    If you do not have an EV connection on your phone you will not have internet. My tether used to do this and I would run Pandora in the background and all would work well (except for my battery). Same thing seemed to be happening when i tried out free tether this morning. For some reason neither My Tether or Free tether demand an internet connection so Ev (data) shuts down. Pandora requires data so EV stays up. (this is the way my lay brain rationalizes it)

I intend no insults on mentioning My Tether in relation to Free tether, but i wanted to show how I came up with my work around.

I have not extensively used Free tether, but this work around worked every time with My tether and the first time I used Free tether I had to do the same thing. I will admit I did not read this whole thread, but I just thought I would try to help.

On a side note i hate that lower case i's are not auto corrected or underlined when posting.....
    Last edited by Titan078; 01/13/2011 at 11:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    Not sure I agree with you on that. Isn't that kind of rubbing the carriers' noses in the fact that we're sidestepping something they want to charge us for and thus pushing them toward looking for ways to block it? I'm of the opinion that when you're getting away with something, drawing more attention to yourself isn't really the best strategy.

The folks behind this certainly deserve recognition from this community (both in the form of simple gratitude and in the form of cash donations). I'm not sure yelling from the hilltops about their accomplishment really helps the cause.
    Love the avatar and the comment
    connects to the ipad(open only)with wifi.no internet connection.cant connect bluetooth to device. how do i get a working version of sprint mobile hotspot reinstalled?
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I'm finding since using this that my Pre goes into 1x mode way more often and usually only when wifi tether is turned on. Anyone else observing this? It's so painfully slow in 1x..
    Yep, same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gee View Post
    ...how do i get a working version of sprint mobile hotspot reinstalled?
    Check the others forum threads. There are plenty on the topic.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie

You're right, I didn't think about that. I said it mostly to show (again) how easy it is to develop and then install this for webOS, and how it's one of the most-polished tethering apps on any platform.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    Sorry.
    Beyond removing, rebooting then installing again; I'm out of ideas.
    Thanks for the help. I'm gonna uninstal the driver on my pc and freetether and try redoing everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gee View Post
    connects to the ipad(open only)with wifi.no internet connection.cant connect bluetooth to device. how do i get a working version of sprint mobile hotspot reinstalled?
    Read my comment it should work for you.
    Ryan, Eric, and WOSI,

Thank you for updating/rewriting this app! It's a godsend to those of us who need to tether but are on a carrier that doesn't support tethering, or are located in a country unsupported by Palm and the MHS app.

I'm using FT 0.99.12 and must say it works pretty much as designed with WiFi. I don't often use USB tethering, and rarely use BT for my tethering needs. For the most part, I use WiFi.

That being said, I've noticed some strange BT behavior from my Pre 2 since installing FT. Sometimes after turning off, then exiting FT after a WiFi tethering session, then shortly thereafter enabling my Motorola T505 BT adapter, the BT connection randomly exhibits two different symptoms I've been unable to manually force to replicate in a controlled situation.

Sometimes, it will drop the phone BTconnection with the Pre 2, whilst keeping the audio (music) connection still active. This usually happens while the devices are paired/connected but not being used with any WebOS application for voice (phone) or audio (music) transmission.

The other thing I've noticed is that sometimes after completing a WiFi tethering session, and enabling my Pre 2's BT connection with the Motorola, the Motorola will keep the link to my car stereo enabled indefinately after an application uses it (Phone or Music). I never have to press the FM reconnect button on the Motorola. This behavior is not normal. Usually after a few minutes of inactivity, the Motorola will drop the FM radio connectiion with my car stereo. What this means is the Pre 2 is sending some sort of audio output to the Motorola, even while the screen is locked. While I'll be the first to admit this second behavior is not undesirable, in fact I would prefer the BT and FM connections stay active once they are enabled, the default behavour is for the FM connection to time out after a period of inactivity to save battery on the Motorola. I use a car adapter, so I do not care about the Motorola battery life. I mention this second behavior (keeping the FM connection alive) only because it is not the default behavior for the two devices, and is a symptom which occurs only after a Pre 2 WiFi tethering session.

The only thing I can validate with any certainty is that if I reset the Pre 2 after WiFi tethering, but before I get into my car and enable the BT connection with the Motorola, neither of these two behaviors occurs. Everything works as it always has (including the FM connection dropping after a period of inactivity which really steams me). If I have tethered using FT any time before I connect to the Motorola, without resetting my Pre 2 afterwards, either one or both symptoms detailed above will usually occur.

I know this is a strange bug and likely won't be resolvable, but I felt it worthy of reporting anyways.

Thanks,
    Barry
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I've read a few other posts about slow download speeds. The only suggestion I found was to turn off wi-fi before enabling freetether. That's didn't make any difference for me.

Are others having speed issues? Any other suggestions?

I've got a Pre minus on Sprint, fyi

There is nothing illegal or immoral about freeTether. HP distributes two versions (EU and US) of an unlocked Pre 2 device which is not bound by any carrier contract. Therefore there is no terms of service to be broken, and freeTether use is fully legitimate. Since freeTether contains no illegally redistributed binaries or proprietary Palm code, then it is 100% legal from that standpoint too.

Now, if you happen to use freeTether against your current carrier's terms of service, then that is between yourself and your carrier. If you don't agree with your current carrier's stance towards tethering, you always have the option to vote for freedom with your feet and use another carrier. Most global GSM carriers outside of the US, for instance, love tethering because it increases data usage and therefore revenue.

Due to the availability of an unlocked Pre 2, HP has no justification to try and block freeTether. This is one of the reasons why freeTether was not released previously.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    You're right, I didn't think about that. I said it mostly to show (again) how easy it is to develop ...
    I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that freeTether was easy for Eric and Ryan to develop. It's an incredibly complex application under the hood, and the fact that such extreme complexity can have such a concise and easy to use interface is a credit to those developers.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that freeTether was easy for Eric and Ryan to develop. It's an incredibly complex application under the hood, and the fact that such extreme complexity can have such a concise and easy to use interface is a credit to those developers.

-- Rod
    Wha??? They didn't get this done one Saturday morn?

/em returns Programming for Dummies.

In all seriousness, I hope he may have been implying "easy to develop (relatively speaking compared to other OS's). Maybe Q can reply to clarify.

Mego kudos to how well this works. I will only need it occasionally, but each time will be greatly useful.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I see pandas.
    Out of curiosity... when the DHCP controls are added eventually (which will be awesome), would it be possible/feasible to have the ability to control/setup separate networks for each tethered interface (e.g. 10.1.1.0/24 for WiFi, 192.168.1.0/24 for USB, etc...)?

I also had some time free this afternoon and messed around with the USB tethering. I setup a spare WinXP laptop and my Pre; worked great. There are a few Linux and Win7 laptops laying around here I'll have to try out next for the sheer fun of it.

I experimented with the other USB prefs, but didn't find any real reason to use any of them other than the ones with the USBNet. (Like egaudet pointed out to me in post #452.)

I was going to wait to donate until it was out of alpha/beta, but hell, this is way to awesome. Donation sent.

Thanks again egaudet, PuffTheMagic and WebOS-Internals!

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Hi Rod,
    I certainly hope you did not read any accusation of illegality or immorality into my post. The fact that you quoted it as preface to your denial of such gave me the impression that you did. But perhaps you were just making a blanket statement and using my post as context. Hard to tell that kind of stuff on forums some times.

To be clear, my concerns are strictly with the US carriers and the absurd limitations that our lack of options backs us into agreeing to. Vote with your feet only works if the path you want to walk actually exists.

Perhaps in terms of a global audience, fT should be evangalized as far and wide as possible. But speaking from under my cone of ethnocentrism, I still say it's better not to poke the sleeping bear.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Hi Rod,
    I certainly hope you did not read any accusation of illegality or immorality into my post. The fact that you quoted it as preface to your denial of such gave me the impression that you did. But perhaps you were just making a blanket statement and using my post as context. Hard to tell that kind of stuff on forums some times.

To be clear, my concerns are strictly with the US carriers and the absurd limitations that our lack of options backs us into agreeing to. Vote with your feet only works if the path you want to walk actually exists.

Perhaps in terms of a global audience, fT should be evangalized as far and wide as possible. But speaking from under my cone of ethnocentrism, I still say it's better not to poke the sleeping bear.
    Please be assured that I was using your post only as context for a blanket statement of freeTether's pristine legality.

-- Rod