Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drossing View Post
    Hi Kevin,

I tried turning off the WPA and doing it with no password with no luck connecting my Kindle. I even tried removing all patches from my Pre thinking maybe there was something interfering, but no luck there either. Tonight I'll try turning off Wifi before running freeTether, as I've seen some people mention getting better speed with that. Maybe the Kindle was timing out due to a slow speed? If that doesn't work, I'll keep watching for other ideas, but probably just wait til the Webos 2.whatever update when it comes out and try it then. Not worth doctoring for me at this point.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave,

Sorry you're not having any luck. The sequence of steps I showed in my previous post works for me every time. I can't think of any other steps.

Kevin
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    freeTether v0.99.12 is awesome. Fast, easy, works great with my laptops. Things getting fixed, changed, and added constantly.

It also connects quickly and easily to my iPad, but the actual bandwidth speeds are very, very slow. (About 0.10 Mbps) Not all, but many iOS users have this problem, randomly, even with other tethering devices like Androids to iOS.

I've read the best reason is because some devices just don't play nice, and random fiddling of settings sometimes yields results. If any of you talented devs can confirm or whatever, I would be even more grateful.
    Having the same issue with my iPad. Very slow connect speeds. Love the app and my Pre and would love to be able to connect at a higher speed to my iPad.
  3.    #423  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    I have tried using my Centro and my Mac Mini to connect via Bluetooth for tethering but both do not seem to recognize that PAN is enabled. Toggling PAN and Bluetooth don't seem to help.
    Yeah, the option that I added to enable PAN worked fine on 1.3.1 but some stuff has changed and I need to add some more hacks that I have not figured out yet to get it working on +1.4.5.

Also, the latest version blocks discovery for me when Bluetooth is enabled in FreeTether. To enable discovery, I have to open Bluetooth preferences and stay there until the devices pair. Is this intended?
    That sounds like a bug as discovery should be enabled when the BT tether toggle is enabled.

I know talk of a patch was presented, and if made, can it also include DUN as well as PAN?
    k.
    That is out of scope for FT.
    I know I'm jumping the gun here, but how close is this app to being ready for 1.0?
  5.    #425  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I know I'm jumping the gun here, but how close is this app to being ready for 1.0?
    Roadmap
    =======

0.99.13 - Disable changing settings when toggles are enabled (already done), configure gateway IP/subnet/DHCP settings (1/2 done)

0.99.14 - Banner/notification when app is closed with toggles enabled

1.0.0 - After 0.99.14 is tested and there are no major bugs reported or UI complaints

1.1.0 - Throughput graphs, Exhibition mode

1.2.0 - Port Forwarding
    I am now able to connect with usb. I ran the repair thing for my connection and it set up my ip and all that and then I was able to connect. The problem I have now is that it's too slow to do anything. If a page even loads, it takes atleast a min or so. Watching my phone while tring to load a page, it seems like my data connection keeps dropping. Could there be some kind of conflict that's not letting my comp and pre establish a stable connection?
  7.    #427  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreBender View Post
    I am now able to connect with usb. I ran the repair thing for my connection and it set up my ip and all that and then I was able to connect. The problem I have now is that it's too slow to do anything. If a page even loads, it takes atleast a min or so. Watching my phone while tring to load a page, it seems like my data connection keeps dropping. Could there be some kind of conflict that's not letting my comp and pre establish a stable connection?
    Did u remove all old versions of freetether and freetetherd? Do you have MHS installed?
    I never had any old versions of freetether or any versions of my tether. This is my first attempt at tethering. All I have installed is freetether 0.9.12 I believe. Just installed it lastnight.
    I simply can't get Wifi to work no matter what I do. =( I can get devices to connect to my phone (it's broadcasting a wifi signal), but there's no internet connection.

I have a Pre Plus on ATT.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrschu View Post
    last night I was checking to see if FT used part of my MHS 5gb by checking what I had previously used with MHS. Then turned on FT and did some interent stuff and downloaded some stuff to be sure. This morning I checked my data usage and it had changed. So for me, it used part of my 5gb. This was all with wifi, I'm gonna check with usb (as soon as I figure it out) and check again. Keep ya'll posted.
    When I use FT, either via USB or WIFI, the usage shows up in my phone data usage (which is unlimited). Data usage associated with my MHS (which is limited to 5G) is not affected by FT usage.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoum View Post
    Does the kindle support WPA2? (if you're using a password)

Yes, the Kindle supports WPA2... But it doesn't work with WPA2 or if the freeTether AP is left wide open either. Other devices (laptops, etc) work fine.

My Kindle connects to my regular home AP via WPA2.

Edit: OK.. I tried it again from home this time.. I have an Airave Access Point here from Sprint, so the EVDO actually goes through a VPN tunnel to Sprint and then out to the Internet via my Broadband connection (I get a SprintPCS IP) and now the Kindle works with it.

Rick
    Last edited by RickNY; 01/12/2011 at 10:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Anyone having issues connecting to wifi on this from another Palm Pre? Mine just says invalid passphrase everytime but I'm entering it correctly..
    I'm seeing the same thing from my iPod Touch if I use a password... if I set to no encryption/Password, then it works (although the iPod still requires me to enter 8 digits of stuff before it will connect - apparently it thinks there is a password).
    Quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by hrschu View Post
    last night I was checking to see if FT used part of my MHS 5gb by checking what I had previously used with MHS. Then turned on FT and did some interent stuff and downloaded some stuff to be sure. This morning I checked my data usage and it had changed. So for me, it used part of my 5gb. This was all with wifi, I'm gonna check with usb (as soon as I figure it out) and check again. Keep ya'll posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpwilson61 View Post
    When I use FT, either via USB or WIFI, the usage shows up in my phone data usage (which is unlimited). Data usage associated with my MHS (which is limited to 5G) is not affected by FT usage.
    That's very weird how some of us are seeing the data taken from the MHS 5GB limit then some of us aren't, like me. I still haven't seen any data increase since last Monday 1/3 which was the last day I used MHS. Did all of you buy your phones after Verizon made MHS free?
    Last edited by QuarlesLT; 01/12/2011 at 11:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    Roadmap
    =======

0.99.13 - Disable changing settings when toggles are enabled (already done), configure gateway IP/subnet/DHCP settings (1/2 done)

0.99.14 - Banner/notification when app is closed with toggles enabled

1.0.0 - After 0.99.14 is tested and there are no major bugs reported or UI complaints

1.1.0 - Throughput graphs, Exhibition mode

1.2.0 - Port Forwarding
    This will make my week! Gracias!
    So I bought the Xbox 360 Wireless N adapter and I have the same issue as some others are having with their Kindles, although it doesn't bother me. The Xbox won't connect to freeTether if nothing else is connected first. If I connect something else to the hotspot first, the Xbox connects fine. This happens whether I have security enabled or disabled for the hotspot, and whether I set a static IP or leave it as DHCP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicembaylor View Post
    I simply can't get Wifi to work no matter what I do. =( I can get devices to connect to my phone (it's broadcasting a wifi signal), but there's no internet connection.

I have a Pre Plus on ATT.
    I have no idea if this will help or not, but I had the same issues with old versions of My Tether. It corrected when I rebooted the laptop. Worth a try.
    Hi folks, I noticed a few others here with the same issue I'm having, which is that I can rarely get my Kindle to connect to my Palm Pre (Sprint) via freeTether. However, I also have MyTether and experience the same issue. Basically, I have no problem connecting to freeTether via my laptop, or others, and also had a coworker connect to my Pre without issue via his iPad. It seems, like someone else mentioned I think, that if another device successfully connects first, then I can usually connect with Kindle after a few tries.

I've tried with no encryption and with WPA2 enabled, and also tried with DHCP and Static settings, all unsuccessfully.

Is there any more info about this Kindle issue, or has anyone found a clear method for getting the two, Kindle and Pre w/freeTether to work together?

TIA,
    -A
    Just installed the two feeds into my preware and then installed the latest freetether. Restarted my palm pre and it works flawlessly. I am on the Bell Mobility network. Thanks for this app, will be a lifesaver when my normal internet goes down
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Quote:

That's very weird how some of us are seeing the data taken from the MHS 5GB limit then some of us aren't, like me. I still haven't seen any data increase since last Monday 1/3 which was the last day I used MHS. Did all of you buy your phones after Verizon made MHS free?
    Yes. I have the free MHS with a 5G limit.
    I've reinstalled drivers, reset adapters, ran diagnostics & repairs, but can't get USB tethering working. It worked with the old version.