Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
  1.    #401  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkr View Post
    Is it just snow leopard, meaning it still works with Leopard or Tiger?
    Yes I believe that is the case.
    Anyone having issues connecting to wifi on this from another Palm Pre? Mine just says invalid passphrase everytime but I'm entering it correctly..
    I have no issues connecting an ipod touch or another pre to free tether.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Anyone having issues connecting to wifi on this from another Palm Pre? Mine just says invalid passphrase everytime but I'm entering it correctly..
    No problem to connect my old Pre via wi-fi to my Pre2 which is turned into a hotspot by freeTether.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    You do not need to have the freeTether gui running at all while tethering. The gui is only needed to "change states". This is why you can restart luna without loosing tethering. Me and Eric realize having a dashboard to might be nice and we also realize that we need to make the gui detect the proper state of the phone when the app is restarted. This is all on our todo list and should be implemented relatively soon.
    Sprint Pre 1.4.5
    FT 99.12
    Windows7 64

I have actually found, through repeated tries, that my laptop loses internet connection when I close down the GUI. I guess that in my case I will have to leave the card up and minimized.

This is NOT a complaint of any sort! I am highly appreciative of FT and the new capabilities it has given my poor Pre-.
    Last edited by Blaize; 01/09/2011 at 04:35 PM.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Sprint Pre 1.4.5
    FT 99.12
    Windows7 64

I have actually found, through repeated tries, that my laptop loses internet connection when I close down the GUI. I guess that in my case I will have to leave the card up and minimized.

This is NOT a complaint of any sort! I am highly appreciative of FT and the new capabilities it has given my poor Pre-.
    Yes, at the moment, under some conditions of app closure the service will be shut down, and under other conditions it will not. I believe a dashboard (and an option to not show the dashboard) is on the roadmap.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7.    #407  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Sprint Pre 1.4.5
    FT 99.12
    Windows7 64

Yes, I miss spoke. Earlier version of FT still worked when the app is closed. In the most recent version everything is cleaned up and shutdown then the app is closed. We figured this would be the best behavior until we get some sort of dashboard notification or advanced option.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    ... In the most recent version everything is cleaned up and shutdown then the app is closed. We figured this would be the best behavior until we get some sort of dashboard notification or advanced option.
    Good call for the time being (and nice to know for when I update). thanks
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    it took a while to get it working but so far so good..............
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Forgive me if this has been addressed already. I just haven't had the time to sit down and read through the entire thread (although I've started on it several times!). I have a couple of issues:

1) I use Mode Switcher to start and stop Freetether, so the fact that I'm closing it via that way might have some effect, but I've tried just manually opening and closing it and it still has the same issue - basically it's not remembering that I want to have wifi thethering enabled. Perhaps this isn't supported, it never seemed to remember that setting in myTether or MHP. The changelog states that my current .12 version has "Default to Open for Wifi Tethering" but what exactly does that mean? Obviously it doesn't mean default to Wifi tethering enabled. Is it possible to have it remember the last status as far as what is and isn't enabled? If not, what about default setting so that it will then go and force the propper enabling when it starts? Or is this something that actually SHOULD be working and I'm just experiencing some weird issue?

2) I'm tethering my Sprint Pre to my Pre 2, ie, I'm running Freetether on my Sprint Pre and trying to connect my Pre 2 to it. I had this same problem with myTether and MHP, but the connection is very finnicky. Basically most of the time that I try to connect I get an IP Configuration Failed error. I can get around it most of the time by going into Wifi Preferences, then turning off Automatic IP settings, then turning it back on. Right now it's not working but it does most of the time! Oddly enough I'm able to connect to other open and closed Wifi hotspots on my Pre 2 no problem, it's just the one coming from my Sprint Pre that causes this issue! Anyone else experience this??

Thanks for all the hard work with this, I'll be making a donation later today - promise!
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, looking back in the thread, maybe I solved the second issue by hardcoding the IP settings that other users had mentioned. I restarted the Pre 2 and it came up connected immediately. I'll have to keep an eye on it, but at least that part might be solved.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    The changelog states that my current .12 version has "Default to Open for Wifi Tethering" but what exactly does that mean? Obviously it doesn't mean default to Wifi tethering enabled.
    Default to Open means that the wifi defaults to NOT having WPA2 protection. Any new user installing the app can immediately launch the wifi hot-spot without having to configure a password. It's a small tweak for those who are less tech-savvy and dont know/care about wifi passwords.
    Hi Kevin,

I tried turning off the WPA and doing it with no password with no luck connecting my Kindle. I even tried removing all patches from my Pre thinking maybe there was something interfering, but no luck there either. Tonight I'll try turning off Wifi before running freeTether, as I've seen some people mention getting better speed with that. Maybe the Kindle was timing out due to a slow speed? If that doesn't work, I'll keep watching for other ideas, but probably just wait til the Webos 2.whatever update when it comes out and try it then. Not worth doctoring for me at this point.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drossing View Post
    Hi Kevin,

I tried turning off the WPA and doing it with no password with no luck connecting my Kindle. I even tried removing all patches from my Pre thinking maybe there was something interfering, but no luck there either. Tonight I'll try turning off Wifi before running freeTether, as I've seen some people mention getting better speed with that. Maybe the Kindle was timing out due to a slow speed? If that doesn't work, I'll keep watching for other ideas, but probably just wait til the Webos 2.whatever update when it comes out and try it then. Not worth doctoring for me at this point.

Thanks,
    Dave
    I found my kindle to be very very picky when it comes to connecting. One night it worked on the first try, next night I had to keep hitting connect until it worked (5-10 min). I have tried both with/without WPA as well as assigning the IP manually.
  15.    #415  
    Quote Originally Posted by lswartz33 View Post
    I found my kindle to be very very picky when it comes to connecting. One night it worked on the first try, next night I had to keep hitting connect until it worked (5-10 min). I have tried both with/without WPA as well as assigning the IP manually.
    I don't have a Kindle or I would make this a higher priority to figure out.
    Great app, thanks for all the hard work put in. However I'm unable to get usb working. I have the driver installed, and the connection shows in network connections. It is greyed out though. When I try to enable it, it fails. Is there steps that I'm skipping? I've tried to go into the properties to add the ip but when I click on properties nothing happens. If I double click the connection, it says network connection attempt already in progress. It never does connect though. It's on windows xp, pre, sprint. Thanks for any help!
    I'm having a problem with usb tethering. The novacom driver is not installed. How do I install it? (I followed the directions for installing the other drivers, but didn't find any for this one) I'm working on a computer that has no intenet access (yet), but I could get online with a different computer.
    Last edited by sfriedlake; 01/11/2011 at 01:10 PM.
    freeTether v0.99.12 is awesome. Fast, easy, works great with my laptops. Things getting fixed, changed, and added constantly.

It also connects quickly and easily to my iPad, but the actual bandwidth speeds are very, very slow. (About 0.10 Mbps) Not all, but many iOS users have this problem, randomly, even with other tethering devices like Androids to iOS.

I've read the best reason is because some devices just don't play nice, and random fiddling of settings sometimes yields results. If any of you talented devs can confirm or whatever, I would be even more grateful.
    I've been following and testing this and I just wanted to say first, great job guys. It's stuff like this that makes me glad I didn't go Android. However, I would like to report about Bluetooth functionality.

I have tried using my Centro and my Mac Mini to connect via Bluetooth for tethering but both do not seem to recognize that PAN is enabled. Toggling PAN and Bluetooth don't seem to help. The Mac is running 10.4 if that makes a difference. I have yet to try a clean install (I haven't been deleting prior to upgrading FreeTether). I'll update after I try that. If I get a chance, I'll try it with XP also. Also, the latest version blocks discovery for me when Bluetooth is enabled in FreeTether. To enable discovery, I have to open Bluetooth preferences and stay there until the devices pair. Is this intended?

I know talk of a patch was presented, and if made, can it also include DUN as well as PAN?

I haven't tried USB or wifi yet, as Bluetooth is more important for me. I'll try both when I get a chance.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps! Again, great work.
    I've used to have the old freetether, but switched to this the day it was released. I have updated every time, so I am on the latest version.

Wifi is working great, but I am having issues with USB tethering as well.