Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    USB Tethering to Sprint

Bluetooth Tethering to Sprint

Using my Windows 7 Desktop, no WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooz0977 View Post
    It does not say to do download one of each on the instruction page. Thank you for the information. I have downloaded it and it is working.

Here is the simplest way ...
    The instructions point to the Testing Feeds page on the wiki, which has the alpha testing rules and certainly does tell you to add both feeds.

Your instructions are not suitable, because if people do not successfully add the testing feeds, then they don't get notifications of important updates to the app. Please fix your post to simply point to the Testing Feeds Wiki page.

-- Rod
    I had a chance to use the new freeTether last night via USB and it worked great.

For those people that are running into trouble with USB tethering under WinXP, this might help you out. Everyone is right that you need to install the RNDIS Ethernet Gadget driver using these Windows XP usbnet - GumstixDocsWiki instructions. The problem I kept running into is I could never get the .inf file to install the driver like the instructions say. The issue is the .inf file is for their device, with their hardware ID. You need to go into the .inf file and change it to that of your Palm Pre/Pixi.

So, after you enable USBnet, with your Pre/Pixi plugged in go to the Device Manager in Windows (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc). Look for the device with the yellow ! and double-click it. Inside the Properties window that just opened, click on the Details tab. The ID is the VID&PID part (so for my Palm Pre on Sprint the ID is VID_0830&PID_0101). Every USB device has one of these. The VID is the Vendor ID and the PID is the Product ID. Now, armed with this info, replace all of the VID_XXXX&PID_XXXX with your device's ID in the file below.

; MS-Windows driver config matching some basic mod - Linux.inf

Sorry if these instructions are a little rough. I'll clean them up and expand on them when I have more time, and can walk myself through the process again. Its been a couple of months since I've done it.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    is the inf file needed for win7? Or do we just use the microsoft corp driver?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The instructions point to the Testing Feeds page on the wiki, which has the alpha testing rules and certainly does tell you to add both feeds.

Your instructions are not suitable, because if people do not successfully add the testing feeds, then they don't get notifications of important updates to the app. Please fix your post to simply point to the Testing Feeds Wiki page.

-- Rod
    maybe im reading something wrong but it does not absolutely say to add both feeds and in fact i have not been able to add the feeds to preware using the wiki instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    maybe im reading something wrong but it does not absolutely say to add both feeds and in fact i have not been able to add the feeds to preware using the wiki instructions.
    I've added the following line to make it crystal clear.

"Note that you will need to enable *TWO* feeds below. You need the *ALL* feed and you need the device-specific feed as well (armv7, armv6 or i686)."

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edd247 View Post
    is the inf file needed for win7? Or do we just use the microsoft corp driver?
    Not needed for Win7. The drivers are built in. Use the "Microsoft Corporation" one.

Kevin
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I tested FT with my old Nintendo DS (not a DSi).

First, the old DS does not support WPA, only WEP, so security is not possible with FT.

I had the problem where you need to connect a different device first in order to have DHCP work. Once I had my laptop connected to FT, I was able to connect my DS without any trouble using DHCP.

If I wanted to connect the DS first, I had to manually set the IP, Gateway, and DNS. Once everything was manually set, it connected fine without having to connect something else first.

Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Strange, my last MHS use was Monday, and I usually call #DATA to get SMS msgs with my usage and it's usually updated daily for me. Mine hasn't been updated since Monday 1/3 and I've used freeTether every day since then. Do you have a Pre Plus or Pixi Plus? I've been
    doing all this on a Pixi Plus.

I have a pre plus. I logged into my account via vrz website to check. I too have rarely used my MHS. I just did the check cuz I was curious. I think I would feel like I had more freedom if it didn't use my MHS data. I like to watch shows online with my netbook but haven't cuz I accidentally went over my data. Now I'm scared.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    I tested FT with my old Nintendo DS (not a DSi).

First, the old DS does not support WPA, only WEP, so security is not possible with FT.

I had the problem where you need to connect a different device first in order to have DHCP work. Once I had my laptop connected to FT, I was able to connect my DS without any trouble using DHCP.

If I wanted to connect the DS first, I had to manually set the IP, Gateway, and DNS. Once everything was manually set, it connected fine without having to connect something else first.

Kevin
    I'm still having trouble connecting my Kindle. I've tried the settings suggested by DDT1345 and others above, but it hasn't worked. I can get it to connect if I connect the laptop first, but never the kindle alone. I used ipconfig with my laptop and found the same settings as others and have used:
    IP: 10.1.1.50, 10.1.1.51, 10.1.1.52
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    router: 10.1.1.11, 8.8.8.8
    DNS: 10.1.1.11, 8.8.8.8

Thanks!
    Dave
    Been using Wifi Tethering with absolutely no problems, was able to test with my laptop, Nook and a coworkers iPod. all connected with no issues.

Great work once again!

Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drossing View Post
    I'm still having trouble connecting my Kindle. I've tried the settings suggested by DDT1345 and others above, but it hasn't worked. I can get it to connect if I connect the laptop first, but never the kindle alone. I used ipconfig with my laptop and found the same settings as others and have used:
    IP: 10.1.1.50, 10.1.1.51, 10.1.1.52
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    router: 10.1.1.11, 8.8.8.8
    DNS: 10.1.1.11, 8.8.8.8

Thanks!
    Dave
    Dave,

The only thing I can think of is to make sure encryption (WPA) is turned OFF when you try to connect with the Kindle via the static settings. It won't work with encryption turned ON.

Kevin
    DDT1345
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    When I had both wifi and BT running at the same time the power draw exceeded the charge rate from the touchstone. Not by much, but charge was going down. Either one alone in use and the charge rate exceeded the draw. But, as I say, this was on the touchstone, not the usb charge.

Now, as an aside, and in total fairness to TTB (or rather his employer), (I had earlier posted FT results while my DSL line was down) when I got off chat with AT&T customer support and called a real human (which was surprisingly easy to get out of VM-hadies), I explained I had no sync on the three different modems, they said, it must be us, we'll check it out and it ought to be up by 5:00. I explained that I have to do work that has a public safety connection and without dsl I can't do my job, so if you fail to do it by 5:00 lives could be at stake over the weekend, she said hold on, came back 5 minutes later said networking was checking the line, another 5 minute wait, she came back said reset your modem and try it now. BAM! It was back. She said the DSLAM needed a reset. I hate to say nice things about AT&T, but GOOD JOB!
    Amazing how much easier it is to get results when talking with a "real human" instead of trying to explain the problem over an Internet chat session". I myself won't bother with Internet chat technical support from any company.

EDIT: I feel the need to add that Ryan, Eric, and Rod manage to offer top notch support over this medium although not a direct chat session, it is still Internet and text based. The generally inadequate tech support chats I refer to above are usually offered by large US based corporations, utilizing support personel located across the Atlantic, in a country far far away where everyone says their name is John or Mary, while working for pennies on the US dollar.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 01/07/2011 at 10:54 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Ok, I've got it in my Pre, but what now? how do I use it?
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I don't know if this has been covered yet. I searched this tread and didn't find anything on it.

My question is: Is it possible to use a sprint pixi and tether to an Iphone, or any other smartphone for that matter.

The pixi- does not have wifi, so I am left with only Bluetooth tethering but the phones do not seem to locate each other.
    I'm having trouble still getting the usb to work! I have the "original" pre from sprint. Where can I find step by step instructions to get it to work? Thanx!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw View Post
    Ok, I've got it in my Pre, but what now? how do I use it?
    I would say for the simplest way that doesn't require driver installs, stick to using the WIFI option in the freeTether app if you have a Pre.
    Launch freeTether, toggle the WIFI option inside the freeTether app ON, and that makes your Pre into a mini hotspot. In freeTether, if you click on the area where it says "WIFI"(to the left of the ON/OFF toggle), it'll bring up the options to setup the SSID and WPA2 security passphrase of your choice, or you can choose to make it Open forgoing security, very similar to setting up a home router. Once set and turned ON, with your other device(a laptop, iPod, whatever) you search for the SSID and connect, and you should now have internet connection on that other device using the Pre as the source.

If you need to use either USB or Bluetooth tethering instead of WIFI, look through this thread and you should find some instructions on how to get those working for you. Also, make sure you at least have the latest version of freeTether 0.99.12(as of this post) or above installed(the developers are continuously working to update the app to add/fix features), and try and donate for their hard work if you can. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Solen; 01/08/2011 at 02:24 AM.
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    The USBnet is still erratic here. This is windows 7 on a lappy, Pre2 on phone. The ipforwarding seems to kinda come and go. Works fine for a bit and then quits and a few minutes later returns. Its solid both on BT and wifi.

I tried several different USB configurations and none seemed to improve on the situation.

I am not sure what other diagnostic information I can provide. I note that on fresh startup of both devices, windows does not reliably detect the RNDIS Ethernet as a device. Strangely, if i leave wifi on, on the pre2, it reliably connects, (lappy->usb->pre2->wifi) but thats a useless configuration, as if I have wifi to the pre, I have wifi to the lappy and dont need FT, but that info might be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    The USBnet is still erratic here. This is windows 7 on a lappy, Pre2 on phone. The ipforwarding seems to kinda come and go. Works fine for a bit and then quits and a few minutes later returns. Its solid both on BT and wifi.

I tried several different USB configurations and none seemed to improve on the situation.

I am not sure what other diagnostic information I can provide. I note that on fresh startup of both devices, windows does not reliably detect the RNDIS Ethernet as a device. Strangely, if i leave wifi on, on the pre2, it reliably connects, (lappy->usb->pre2->wifi) but thats a useless configuration, as if I have wifi to the pre, I have wifi to the lappy and dont need FT, but that info might be useful.
    See my post above with the steps I used in W7 Pro to set up USB. Mine is working perfectly for multiple sessions.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Any ideas why my iPad will only connect at very slow (.08 dl) speeds? Sprint pre minus, iOS 4.2, latest version of free tether. Thanks