Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
    I wasn't able to get the USB working, but I did get the wifi working on my laptop and the phone was plugged into the laptop and was charging. So, that would work for me. The speed was very quick. Actually much quicker than when connected to my iPad.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    For those who want to use the FT as a wifi hotspot for your PS3 you're gonna have to connect manually and you also have to change your wifi security to "Open" status on your Pre. Go to network connections on your PS3 system, then go to Internet connections enter this:

IP: 10.1.1.200
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Router: 10.1.1.11
    Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

and leave the the secondary at 0.0.0.0 and you are golden! Been connected to the PS3 network for about 20 minutes or so with no lag at all, runs pretty smoothly. Give it a try
    Quote Originally Posted by kristoffer10 View Post
    For those who want to use the FT as a wifi hotspot for your PS3 you're gonna have to connect manually and you also have to change your wifi security to "Open" status on your Pre. Go to network connections on your PS3 system, then go to Internet connections enter this:

IP: 10.1.1.200
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Router: 10.1.1.11
    Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

and leave the the secondary at 0.0.0.0 and you are golden! Been connected to the PS3 network for about 20 minutes or so with no lag at all, runs pretty smoothly. Give it a try
    strange i had to set my Primary DNS as 10.1.1.11 when i did my write up im a sprint pre running freetether ver 0.99.9
    what phone, service provider and ver of freetether are you using?
    hey guys I'm sorry to ask this question but I looked and tried eveything to get usb tether to work and nothing! I installed free tether 99.9 ver turn on usb leave it on the reccomned settings hook it up to my windows vista and nothing!? What do I do? What else do I gota install?
    Vista 32 or 64 bit?
    PayPal Make a donation and/or hit the Thanks button please
    My home page. >>>>>CMCS<<<<

I have added the /all feed and I do not see tethering showing up. Is there anything else I have to do?

such as add a kernel or patch to make this appear?

A quick run through of specific would be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by warlord9159 View Post
    Vista 32 or 64 bit?
    Not sure if this was for me or someone else so 32 bit.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    is their any word of this working on a Mac BookPro Snow leaperd, with USB teather? I really need to use the usb instead of the wifi. I'm using a Palm pixi plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooz0977 View Post
    I have added the /all feed and I do not see tethering showing up. Is there anything else I have to do?

such as add a kernel or patch to make this appear?

A quick run through of specific would be helpful.

Does anyone here read directions???

You need to enable both the /all feed AND the device specific feed. Not just 1 feed, BOTH feeds.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    It does not say to do download one of each on the instruction page. Thank you for the information. I have downloaded it and it is working.

Here is the simplest way.

Click this link: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7/

Scroll to most recent FreeTether (currently January 6th v. 0.99.9)

Download,

Open folder location

Connect Pre via USB (Drag and drop file)

reboot Luna in preware

Swipe preware options - Install package - browse - select file - open

Restart phone

Complete! You now have FreeTether on your phone.

One quick mention: Prior to adding this application I did add the /all feed to the custom feed manager in preware and installed the WebOS internal Dev toolbox. If for some reason the application does show up and you have back tested everything else, I would suggest doing the same.
    Last edited by cooz0977; 01/08/2011 at 07:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Well, I gotta point out how wonderfully timely this all is. My dsl line went down last night. I am connected via wifi on my laptop chatting with customer no-support at at&t on why my dsl line is down and at the same time, connected here on my desktop via bluetooth browsing the net! Wow! Great work guys!
    Last edited by jaltman; 01/07/2011 at 05:09 AM.
    Thanks guys! This is so much better then my tether. Was painfully slow.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Having the same issue with my iPad (ios 4.2). VERY slow (.10 +/-) UL connection speed
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Meant download speed of .10
    Quote Originally Posted by arxb2 View Post
    strange i had to set my Primary DNS as 10.1.1.11 when i did my write up im a sprint pre running freetether ver 0.99.9
    what phone, service provider and ver of freetether are you using?

I'm also with sprint and I'm running the 0.99.11 version of FT. The primary DNS is Google's public primary DNS (8.8.8.8) and it appears to work just fine. Not too familiar with the DNS that you gave me though, unless you are referring to the Default Router, then yes, I used 10.1.1.11.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    Can you try to connect a laptop or some other device that works, and then try to connect the Kindle. I'm having reports from flare576 in IRC that the Nintendo DSi has problems connecting unless another device is already connected. From checking the dbus log I can see that the wifi service reports that the device is connected, and then nothing connected, and then connected and then nothing connected. However he also reports that once his PC makes a connection, the DSi can then connect fine. It doesn't look like there's much to do from the FT level that can help this but it's best to gather all information. Including how these devices work with Palm's Mobile Hotspot app.
    @egaudet
    I updated to 0.99.11, then tried my Kindle again (with and without WPA on) and it did NOT work as before. I then connected my laptop, got a connection going fine, then tried again to connect my Kindle (with WPA on) and it worked. It seems like the "need a connection from something else first" applies like you thought it might.

As an additional test, I disconnected my laptop and the Kindle still held the connection fine. So once it connects, the "need another connection" requirement no longer applied.

To test whether or not you only had to do this once, I disconnect the Kindle by shutting down FT. The Kindle then connected to another wireless connection in my house. I loaded up FT again and turned on WiFi, the Kindle saw the connection and I tried to switch over to it. However, I was not able to connect. I still had to connect something else first.

I then tried to connect my Kindle without another connection by using static settings. With WPA ON this did NOT work. However, with WPA OFF, I was able to connect this way without any trouble.

Here are my static settings I put into the Kindle:
    IP: 10.1.1.51
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 10.1.1.11 (Kindle calls this "Router" but I'm assuming they mean "Default Gateway")
    DNS: 10.1.1.11

My setup:
    Sprint Pre Minus
    FT 0.99.11
    UberKernel
    HP 2530p (my "first connection" device)

Conclusions
    IF YOU WANT TO USE WPA
    -If you want to use WPA, you need to connect another device via WiFi first (laptop or whatever) before connecting your Kindle
    -Once you have the connection to the Kindle going, you can drop the other connection and the Kindle will stay connected
    -If you close FT or disconnect from WiFi on the Kindle, you'll have to repeat the process of connecting something else to get the Kindle connected to WiFi again
    -Unfortunately, the Kindle doesn't let me see the WiFi settings when I'm connected to a good signal, so once I'm connected to FT, I can't see any IP, DNS, etc. information. So I'm not sure if there is something "special" in there that would help eliminate the "first connection" requirement.

IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE WPA
    -If you do not need to use WPA, you can connect to FT by using the static settings shown above. I got those settings by first connecting my laptop to FT and doing an "ipconfig /all" to see the settings. I copied everything from there exactly, except for incrementing the IP address by 1 (it was .50, I went to .51). My initial test showed that staying at .50 did NOT work. FT must have assigned my laptop that IP and even though the laptop was no longer connected, it would not take .50 for the Kindle.

NOTE: I used a Kindle for my tests, but any other device that is having trouble connecting might connect using these methods.

I have an old Nintendo DS that I can try, but the battery is dead. I have to charge it before I can try. I'll post again when I try that.

Thanks to a bunch of previous posters (sorry, I didn't catch the usernames) for giving me some of the ideas to get to this point.

Kevin
    DDT1345
    Last edited by DDT1345; 01/07/2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added title
    Hey everyone,
    I was on Xbox Live yesterday via freeTether, and it worked great overall, but when I ran the connection test, I received the "NAT Moderate" status, and was unable to connect to certain friends for matches. Is there any way to change the NAT to open, or is that a webOS limitation? I tried the connection with the Xbox wireless adapter as well as Internet Connection Sharing from my laptop via an ethernet cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I was on Xbox Live yesterday via freeTether, and it worked great overall, but when I ran the connection test, I received the "NAT Moderate" status, and was unable to connect to certain friends for matches. Is there any way to change the NAT to open, or is that a webOS limitation? I tried the connection with the Xbox wireless adapter as well as Internet Connection Sharing from my laptop via an ethernet cable.
    You're running through a connection (tether) that's got a ping of ~200 or so - You should understand that this would be bad for live games and you'll very likely lag out all over the place. It's ok for just basic online functions with the xbox, but dont think it'll allow you into live multiplayer games much...

If the Pre was 4G you have a bigger "tunnel" which might help, but still you've got a PHONE passing the signal from wifi onto satellite - ping/lag will always be an issue with this bottleneck
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoum View Post
    If the Pre was 4G you have a bigger "tunnel"...
    Phenoum,

I believe the official technical term is "tube", not "tunnel".

Kevin
    DDT1345
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoum View Post
    You're running through a connection (tether) that's got a ping of ~200 or so - You should understand that this would be bad for live games and you'll very likely lag out all over the place. It's ok for just basic online functions with the xbox, but dont think it'll allow you into live multiplayer games much...

If the Pre was 4G you have a bigger "tunnel" which might help, but still you've got a PHONE passing the signal from wifi onto satellite - ping/lag will always be an issue with this bottleneck
    My pings are actually in the high 90s/low 100s, with nearly no lag at all, especially late at night, when I usually play, and I'm living in a rural area right now (pretty close to a VZW tower). I just have trouble connecting to certain people because of the moderate NAT issue, but if I do connect, it's fine.