Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    thankyou awsome will donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Solen View Post
    The freeTether app is definitely for making your phone into a mini hotspot using your phone's 3G, but when you shut off tethering the app is currently set to also turn on Pre's Wifi radio(some people prefer to use Pre's Wifi for data if they have access to a router, instead of 3G, to help save battery). When tethering, it uses the 3G service. The developers are working to change it so when you turn off tethering, it keeps your Pre's Wifi radio at whatever state it was before using the freeThether app. Check the link below to the post by one of the developers on what they expect to change.
    Thanks man! 100% answered my question.
    Quote Originally Posted by arxb2 View Post
    had this issue when testing ps3. I had to manualy setup network settings (ip, dns, gateway).

I connect phone to laptop through wifi pulled up connection details and enter the info as shown there. Made ip address 1 number higher than the one the pre gave to my pc. I was using open wifi(no security). Hope this helps.

dns and gateway were 10.1.1.11 on my phone not sure if the same for all but assuming it will be the same for all pre's
    Can someone getting error obtaining ip address error try this method on the device giving the error so I can see if this fix just works on the Playstation3?

also this error was there with MHS with Playstation 3.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Does anyone know why connecting an Amazon Kindle to this (or MHS for that matter when I was using it), doesn't allow the Kindle to make a valid WiFi connection? All of my laptops and other devices work... The Kindle connects, and then says 'Failed'. Just curious if anyone else with A WiFi Kindle can test this out for me and see what causes this problem.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Rick,

I'm having the same problem. I can connect my laptop without any trouble (HP 2530p) and also my wife's Macbook Pro, but my Amazon Kindle (latest generation) will not connect. I get the same failure.

If you'd had success since posting this, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    This works great. Thanks to all the developers.
    freeTether: So easy an accountant can do it!

I see pandas.
    Just donated. Confirmation number: 56B55342E5045762K. Thanks so much for all your awesome hard work! This app is awesome!!
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Just downloaded, and ran three tests, WiFi, BT and USB... I see a lot of variability from one test to the next on the same type of tether, so I'm chukking that up to Sprint's 3G link performance.

The speedtest.net results are below, WiFi, BT and USB, respectively.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mauro1; 01/05/2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Labeling the speedtest.net results.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I am having a bit more trouble with 0.99.7, this is on the Pre2 (2.0.1). Wifi and BT indicate a connection, but, in fact, there is none, nor can I get out to the internet on the phone directly. With USB the laptop indicates it is not connected, but in fact it is and I am on it now.

Interesting, eh? It'd be interesting to know if others see any of this and on which hardware, i.e. phone type and os version?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I'm getting really low connection scores. I've tried two different laptops, and two different locations 45 miles apart and still get low speeds. Any idea what could be wrong? I am getting a 3G connection.

Strangely, at home, speedtest.net thinks I"m in the UK, I'm really in Texas near San Antonio.

I tried again using bluetooth, and I'm getting .84 Mbps down, which is closer to what I was expecting. Something wrong with my wi-fi settings? I used the default SSID and no password just to try it out.
    Last edited by mcurrens; 01/05/2011 at 09:13 PM.
    Can one of the devs offer some insight on why WiFi tethering is slow for a large percentage of iOS users?

My on-phone 3G speeds are about 1.5mbps, and tethering a Windows Laptop gets me speeds that are roughly the same. Tethering to my iPad or my friends iPod touch yield an atrocious 0.1 mbps.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    This is awesome!!! Some security would be really sweet. But probably not easy....

My donation on way.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmin View Post
    This is awesome!!! Some security would be really sweet.
    You mean like the WPA2 Personal passphrase on the WiFi options screen?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    I am having a bit more trouble with 0.99.7, this is on the Pre2 (2.0.1). Wifi and BT indicate a connection, but, in fact, there is none, nor can I get out to the internet on the phone directly. With USB the laptop indicates it is not connected, but in fact it is and I am on it now.

Interesting, eh? It'd be interesting to know if others see any of this and on which hardware, i.e. phone type and os version?
    I was using .99.6 during lunch for about 35 minutes on wifi and the Internet dropped on mine. I also discovered Internet didn't work on the phone either. I went into airplane mode and back and got Internet working on the phone again but it wouldn't work wifi on my laptop correctly until I rebooted my phone. I installed .99.7 this afternoon and have been using it all evening without a single problem, so I dunno.. but felt I'd share since you had a similar incident, I thought mine was just a fluke..
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Also my speed test.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    My Bad. Didn't know I could tap the Wifi. Even more awesome!
    Yeah I found that one earlier today as well. This is very awesome.
    could anyone tell how to install it cuz I already do the steps above and i dont see nothing! I've a palm pre - on sprint...
    Gesture swipe back. Preware will alert you that you have added feeds and ask if you want to update them now. Choose YES.

After this i get a error screen... any ideas???? help please!!!
    Also any time that I start preware... i get the same error screen...... help!