Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Thank you so much, it works great on my pixi (spirit).
    Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the mobile app world. Does anyone know what a "fair" donation would be for freeTether? Since most paid apps in the app catalog seem to run in the $2 to $10 range, is that an acceptable donation, or is a project like this considered above-and-beyond the capabilities of a "normal" app (and hence should receive a larger donation)?

I'm all for donating to the cause, but haven't a clue as to how much to give.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Does anyone know why connecting an Amazon Kindle to this (or MHS for that matter when I was using it), doesn't allow the Kindle to make a valid WiFi connection? All of my laptops and other devices work... The Kindle connects, and then says 'Failed'. Just curious if anyone else with A WiFi Kindle can test this out for me and see what causes this problem.

Thanks,
    Rick

had this issue when testing ps3. I had to manualy setup network settings (ip, dns, gateway).

I connect phone to laptop through wifi pulled up connection details and enter the info as shown there. Made ip address 1 number higher than the one the pre gave to my pc. I was using open wifi(no security). Hope this helps.

dns and gateway were 10.1.1.11 on my phone not sure if the same for all but assuming it will be the same for all pre's
    Not sure if this was brought up in the other 12 pages, but if I just flip the WiFi on, then turn it back off without doing anything, it turns on my Pre's WiFi. Is this what's supposed to happen..??
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Not sure if this was brought up in the other 12 pages, but if I just flip the WiFi on, then turn it back off without doing anything, it turns on my Pre's WiFi. Is this what's supposed to happen..??
    Yeah, this has been stated as part of the functionality...developers working on changing it so it remembers what state your wifi was in originally, and doesn't change it for future version...
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    Quote Originally Posted by Solen View Post
    Yeah, this has been stated as part of the functionality...developers working on changing it so it remembers what state your wifi was in originally, and doesn't change it for future version...
    Sorry I'm just trying to understand it. I thought the WiFi option was to use your phones 3G and convert the phone into a mobile hotspot(just like the official MHS app) for other devices to connect, so when I turn it off why would it connect to WiFi? or am I missing some of the point?
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    @PuffTheMagic,
    Just checking whether you expect this to work on a Pre that has MyTether installed. (If you don't know, I can probably try it once it's ready and let you know whether they seem to work when both are installed.)

thanks very much for your effort,
    --
    Bob
    I know it's been recommended to remove My Tether, but I know it works. I'd love to change to this, but I'll ask the same question. Has anyone braver than me run FreeTether with My Tether on the device? Given the effort to re-install and twink My Tether, I'd really like to keep it in place as a back-up.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I have found a few interesting things while testing to get Bluetooth tethering working.

First up, with the F105 kernel(1.4.5.143), if my Palm Pre Plus is on the Touchstone, Bluetooth discovery from my Tomtom Go 930 does not find the phone, but it DOES find it when it is off the Touchstone. I would chalk that up to a kernel issue with the 1GHz speed.

Next, even though Freetether looks like it is working(discovery worked and the Tomtom sees the phone), my Tomtom reports:
    This phone does not seem to be capable of making a wireless data connection. TomTom Services cannot be used with this phone.

So, the tethering does not work. The lack of PAN in the Bluetooth profiles may be related to why this is happening(I have an AT&T Palm Pre Plus), but I don't know for sure what is going on.

I am going to remove F105 and see if that solves the discovery issue overall, or if more is going on here. I will also check if data will now work, but I suspect there is something funky going on with the Tomtom, or it may just be a weakness in the Bluetooth implementation under WebOS 1.4.5 that makes it not work with my TomTom 930.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I have noticed a few things about the Bluetooth setup, and I hope that one of the devs sees this post.

First up, if you have Bluetooth OFF, then using Freetether to turn it on will enable discovery, but if Bluetooth is already on, then turning it on from Freetether will not turn on discovery.

No matter what, I can not get data to work with my Tomtom Go 930. Is anyone else out there able to get TomTom services to work over Freetether?
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven View Post
    Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the mobile app world. Does anyone know what a "fair" donation would be for freeTether? Since most paid apps in the app catalog seem to run in the $2 to $10 range, is that an acceptable donation, or is a project like this considered above-and-beyond the capabilities of a "normal" app (and hence should receive a larger donation)?

Thanks!
    This is not something that will ever make it to the app catalog to be available to the "mass market", so they aren't going to make it up on volume. One has to be savvy enough to install preware and/or use WebOSQuickInstall. Thats a bunch of us, but not the casual appliance operator. I donated $20 now and $40 before to support buying them pre 2 devices. I have no financial interest in WebOS-Internals.

Mi dos pesos.
    Hi All,

Thanks!
    i've the same question - advice please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Next, even though Freetether looks like it is working(discovery worked and the Tomtom sees the phone), my Tomtom reports:
    This phone does not seem to be capable of making a wireless data connection. TomTom Services cannot be used with this phone.
    If it is anthing like my TomTom One then it tries to use the phone as a modem (DUN) and this app radiates a PAN on BT which is not the same thing at all. It therefore won't work as a way to get TomTom working. You will need something completely different for that, something that emulates a modem on BT. I'm pretty sure this does not exist.
    Hi All,

Thanks!
    obviously donate what you think its worth! (fyi mytether was selling at $15) also as someone said previously, you could be charge $10 a month for this service if brought from your provider... so freetether is saving you $120 a year...
    but also dont forget, these developers dont just work on one thing for webos, they help create lots of other patches/apps, so in my opinion they are worth a little bit more
    Easy to install, quick wifi connect that's solid and network speed consistent with other tethering apps. Well done, thanks!
  15.    #235  
    For those with the missing Bluetooth PAN profile... I added a way to reenabled it. FreeTether 0.99.7 should be showing up in the feed shortly. After you update tap on the bluetooth row and enable the 'PAN PROFILE' toggle. This will un-disable the PAN profile and cause the bluetooth service to restart. You will notice the BT icon in the top right disappear while its restarting. Once it reappears you should have PAN support.
    Hi All,

Thanks!
    A lot has to do with what you can afford. $2 from a college student helps. $10 or $20 from a working person helps even more. The webOS Internals developers are obviously not in this for the money. Otherwise, they would be focusing on developing commercial apps. I'm hoping that our donations encourage them to keep developing.

Disclaimer: These comments are my personal opinion and have nothing to do with my moderator status.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 01/06/2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: add disclaimer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post

Also, how exactly does USB tethering work? I'm using Windows 7. After I toggle USB tethering on, what else do I have to do? Thanks in advance for any help.
    I had issues with the driver on win7 last night. finally got it working using what i found on mytether. worked like a charm afterwards

My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - turn your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router!

Instructions for USB Tethering on Vista and Windows 7 by mu7efcer
    1. On Pre: in the My Tether program turn on usbnet.
    2. Reboot Pre and open My Tether again and turn on DHCP
    3. Plug in Pre to USB on Vista/Windows 7
    4. In wizard that comes up asking for driver software, I chose ignore.
    5. Then I went into the device manager, by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Device Manager"
    6. There was a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget". I right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    7. In the wizard that came up, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. In the next page, I clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    9. It asked me to pick a type of hardware. I chose "Network Adapter"
    10. Under "Manufacturer", I chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft")
    11. In "Network Adapter", I chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Then I clicked Next.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    Sorry I'm just trying to understand it. I thought the WiFi option was to use your phones 3G and convert the phone into a mobile hotspot(just like the official MHS app) for other devices to connect, so when I turn it off why would it connect to WiFi? or am I missing some of the point?
    The freeTether app is definitely for making your phone into a mini hotspot using your phone's 3G, but when you shut off tethering the app is currently set to also turn on Pre's Wifi radio(some people prefer to use Pre's Wifi for data if they have access to a router, instead of 3G, to help save battery). When tethering, it uses the 3G service. The developers are working to change it so when you turn off tethering, it keeps your Pre's Wifi radio at whatever state it was before using the freeThether app. Check the link below to the post by one of the developers on what they expect to change.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2816183
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    Just go home from work doing more testing here is a strange glitch.
    I opened freetether turned on the wifi interface and the "DHCP server" and "ip forwarding" bubbles are gray and I still have working internet on laptop via the pre AP. I am using wifi unsecured(open).
    This was posted via wifi tethering during this issue.

screen shots attached below

@jaltman, @arsenalrule, and @bevcraw,

Thanks for the donation info as it's very much appreciated.

Off to make my contribution now.