Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Most users can use Mode Switcher or Govnah and choose a profile for time of day or mood to save battery or give a boost in performance. Those things cant be done in kernel space.
    I was thinking more of a helper app that would not be integrated in the kernel. I was also thinking something that would be able to perhaps poll the CPU counters and Temp counters to make decisions in an automated fashion not just a manual setting. I was wondering if certain apps polling frequencies could be adjusted via API or if the approach would need to be different.

I have run my Pre for 2-3 days just on WiFi solely, enabling the CDMA radio for data will suck the life out of it in no time. The WiFi radio has proper WOL and low power on sleep support where it is best if you're worried about battery life.
    Yup. That's what I understand too. Thanks for the confirmation. I think the amount of drain on CDMA is also related to the signal strength. On Verizon my Pre Plus doesn't drain as fast as a friends Pre on Sprint. I think because in this area the Verizon network is more densely packed and signal strength is higher.

From all the feedback i'll probably incorporate vdemand having support for other speeds.
    Excellent - thank you. It may be a dead end but it certainly increases my interest.
    Hey Unix,
    I just noticed that with the newest AV8B kernel, in govnah there is the "override parameters - Batt low thresh". When that occurs, the freq drops to 500 MHz....is that 500 MHz with "vDemand" or "Stock palm kernel parameters"?
    feedback i'll probably incorporate vdemand having support for other speeds.
    Yes, please do! I run my Pre on 800/500 screenstate with lowered voltages (44 and 32). 800MHz with vdemand would probably be quite interesting.
  4.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernie View Post
    Hey Unix,
    I just noticed that with the newest AV8B kernel, in govnah there is the "override parameters - Batt low thresh". When that occurs, the freq drops to 500 MHz....is that 500 MHz with "vDemand" or "Stock palm kernel parameters"?
    No vdemand when temp alarm has occurred. So plain ole 500MHz at static voltage.
    Live free or DIE!
    This kernel is just unbelievable. It needs almost the same battery than stock. Fast like hell. It may drain a lot while streaming.
    But for me it seems to be the best.
    Had a problem first when it started and after the palm logo just shutdown.
    When preware ask me to reboot after install I choose later. Maybe this was the cause.
    Thanks unixpsycho for your brilliant work.
    How can we download it, can u send me the link please, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sqadbeezy View Post
    How can we download it, can u send me the link please, thanks
    Sorry but if you don't find it it's probably better so.
    These kernels are for testing only. You have one post.
    Please understand that. Use the ‹berkernel instead.
    I loved the speed this kernel gave, but it absolutely killed my battery on a day to day basis. On average while the phone was idle it would drain 4-5 % ann hour and when I used it fo a few minutes at a time I would see my battery drop significantly. Great job nonetheless. I have a vzw pre + and the cards I usually leave open are NewsRoom, Facebook, Browser, Govnah and Battery Monitor. I absolutely lved how fast my phone ran though, it solved any lag when unlocking without a doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    I loved the speed this kernel gave, but it absolutely killed my battery on a day to day basis. On average while the phone was idle it would drain 4-5 % ann hour and when I used it fo a few minutes at a time I would see my battery drop significantly. Great job nonetheless. I have a vzw pre + and the cards I usually leave open are NewsRoom, Facebook, Browser, Govnah and Battery Monitor. I absolutely lved how fast my phone ran though, it solved any lag when unlocking without a doubt.
    Why on earth would you leave Govnah and Battery Monitor constantly open with this kernel, or any apps for that matter? The way AV8B works is by reducing voltage when there is less load on the processor; of course you're going to see additional battery drain when you load up on running apps, the Pre needs to do more work, thus more battery consumption.

Constant-running multiple cards also goes against the idea of trying to optimize Race To Idle. Google it if you don't know what that is.
  10. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Wow, this is impressive, with uberkernal, i never went below 38C. It now idles at room temp and it seems much faster. unixpshcho is Pre god!. Haven't had time to test battery, but the govnah mAh results look promising.
    Last edited by R_E; 12/21/2010 at 11:33 AM.
    I know this isn't probably something you can change, but you can't play VBA without it switching back to 500mhz. Is there any way you can make an exception?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I know this is only my second post, I do more watching than talking. While at idle on wifi power consumption is amazing. Over a week I averaged less than 1% per hour. Off wifi with ok 3g signal consumption is on par with what I experienced UK, F104, and F105, 2-5% per hour. Any constant usage drains the battery quicker than other kernals (which I have lowered voltage on), which is expected. I haven't played with the low/mid/high voltage settings yet. What really shines for me is the smoothness. Quick response from idle and the voltage seems to ramp up just quickly enough to avoid issues. Odd articles show on screen breifly if opening multiple apps quickly from idle.

Does the voltage scale continuously or does it jump up to the next setting? That is at 25% load is the voltage actually half way between the low and mid settings? If so is the load criteria that it uses to ramp up something that could become adjustable by the end user...have it ramp slower for less power consumption for example. I know that is much the same as just adjusting the low/mid/high settings.
  13.    #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonemorrow View Post
    I know this is only my second post, I do more watching than talking. While at idle on wifi power consumption is amazing. Over a week I averaged less than 1% per hour. Off wifi with ok 3g signal consumption is on par with what I experienced UK, F104, and F105, 2-5% per hour. Any constant usage drains the battery quicker than other kernals (which I have lowered voltage on), which is expected. I haven't played with the low/mid/high voltage settings yet. What really shines for me is the smoothness. Quick response from idle and the voltage seems to ramp up just quickly enough to avoid issues. Odd articles show on screen breifly if opening multiple apps quickly from idle.

Does the voltage scale continuously or does it jump up to the next setting? That is at 25% load is the voltage actually half way between the low and mid settings? If so is the load criteria that it uses to ramp up something that could become adjustable by the end user...have it ramp slower for less power consumption for example. I know that is much the same as just adjusting the low/mid/high settings.
    If you were watching the thread I mentioned a few times the user should tweak the settings to get bettery battery life; those initial settings i put there for stability so users dont complain about the kernel crashing on install. God knows I get enough of those complaints.

Comparing this kernel to F105, etc... and stating that AV8B sucks up battery without tweaking the numbers is fallacious. The default voltages in AV8B matches F105, so of course it will suck up the same if not more since the speed doesnt scale down. Soon as I get numbers from everyone that are stable I will make it default.
    Live free or DIE!
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    I know this isn't probably something you can change, but you can't play VBA without it switching back to 500mhz. Is there any way you can make an exception?
    Which version is this happening on?
    Live free or DIE!
    Which version is this happening on?
    Of the kernel? v1.4.5-137
    of VBA? v1.3.3
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Soon as I get numbers from everyone that are stable I will make it default.
    Sorry, 'Psycho. I was giving you space to play with a ScreenState version of vDemand (if you are) and the work you're doing on the Pre2. I didn't realize you were waiting for us on this one.

Sprint Pre minus (newer, silver button)
    Harrier# 137

VDD1: 65 62 58
    VDD2: 41 37 35

I haven't had much luck playing with VDD2 (probably my phone, not your kernel), so they are only one tick down from your default. Otherwise, solid as a rock!

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 12/23/2010 at 08:34 AM.
    These are the settings I've been running, Yeah I didn't know you was waiting on us.

VDD1: 64, 60, 56
    VDD2: 39, 35, 30
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    Dude. Newsroom is a battery hog. It downloads gobs and gobs of data in the background. And Govnah and Battery Monitor will use up your battery as well. You shouldn't leave these apps open unless you're actively using them on a constant basis. If you must use Newsroom, make sure you turn off background fetching.

I've gone through an entire work day with AV8B and used up only 35% battery.
    I'm currently trying the following on my european gsm Pre-:

vdd1: 57 56 56
    vdd2: 41 36 34

So far, so good. Kernel is stable as a rock, smooth as silk, fast as... well, you know what I mean. No problems to report, save for a higher battery consumption, which I expected.
    Last edited by manueljaime; 12/23/2010 at 05:05 AM.
  20.    #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Sorry, 'Psycho. I was giving you space to play with a ScreenState version of vDemand (if you are) and the work you're doing on the Pre2. I didn't realize you were waiting for us on this one.

Sprint Pre minus (newer, silver button)
    Harrier# 137

VDD1: 65 62 58
    VDD2: 41 37 35

I haven't had much luck playing with VDD2 (probably my phone, not your kernel), so they are only one tick down from your default. Otherwise, solid as a rock!

M.
    I've been playing with 3-4 different kernel projects. I get confused myself.
    Live free or DIE!
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast