Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pitpit24 View Post
    how could i test it if the link is hidden?
    Just install Uber-Kernal from Preware. That will be easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Mods... can you step in here?
    sure. one moment please. Until then, here is a reminder for new users.

UberKernel is considered to be to kernel that should be used by most people wanting to overclock. It is been deemed safe for general use, and contains all the best features developed in the other kernels - which are still considered experimental. Users are more likely to get help and support when using UberKernel and Govnah.

The developers of these other kernels make them available ONLY for experienced users that will actively participate in testing and feedback to help the development effort.

Those requiring help finding feeds or with the basics of overclocking should not be using anything other than UberKernel. Those that try it anyway are unlikely to get any help because that will detract from the development efforts.

I hope this clarifies things.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 12/13/2010 at 11:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Those requiring help finding feeds or with the basics of overclocking should not be using anything other than UberKernel. Those that try it anyway are unlikely to get any help because that will detract from the development efforts.
    Hear, hear.
    im sorry for it, i found how to get it by myself thanks anyway.
    I'm having trouble following some of the logic on the Race to Idle comments. If indeed DATA use is the largest drain - does the clock really make that much difference in terms of RACE to Idle? Or does the clock increase only help with items that are not quite as high drain?

I would love to see a version of this Kernel that had options to run at lower (fixed) speed and still adjusted the voltage strictly for those of us happy with stock performance (pre plus) and wishing for more battery life.
    almost a week of usage and no probs .. But sunday my phone was a little sluggish so I checked my govnah. Everything read N/A so I swiped it away and bring govnah back up samething... So after that I do a reset and everything back to normal.. don't kno if it was the av8b harrier but this has happen before with some other kernels... Please keep up the good work. THANKS
    oh yeah my batt life has been better... So with this kernel and tips to save batt life I get about 15% - 20% more batt life out of roxie... Yeah I named her roxie ( phone ) cause she rocks !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    oh yeah my batt life has been better... So with this kernel and tips to save batt life I get about 15% - 20% more batt life out of roxie... Yeah I named her roxie ( phone ) cause she rocks !!!!
    What is that compared to - Uberkernel or Stock?
    sorry was eating dinner.. Well with stock and uber when I went to sleep with 100% batt life I would wake up to 70% to 60% ... And with av8b harrier I have been waking up to 80%-85% ... And sunday I started off my day with 100% batt life and went to my homie crib to watch the games and with phone calls , text msg , and checkin the scores at th end off the day I had 30% batt life left compared to 15% - 10%.. So overall yeah batt life has been a little better...
    I do have to say that this, to me, overall is the best kernel as far as battery life and snappiness is concerned. It wakes from a black screen pretty nicely, Where as F105 used to studder sometimes, screen on, screen off, scren on, screen off....and then finally come out of screenstate.

They only time that I get MORE battery drain, is when listening to music or streaming a podcast. It would be nice to have a hybrid Screenstate/vdemand where Screen on= 1GHz+vdemand.......screen off=500 MHz+vdemand. That way music or Podcasts can still be using the voltage they need but at half the MHz with screen off. Does that make sense?

I love the fact that I can be reading a web page, and not blow through battery just because the screen is on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernie View Post
    They only time that I get MORE battery drain, is when listening to music or streaming a podcast. It would be nice to have a hybrid Screenstate/vdemand where Screen on= 1GHz+vdemand.......screen off=500 MHz+vdemand. That way music or Podcasts can still be using the voltage they need but at half the MHz with screen off. Does that make sense?
    Perfect sense. This is why, for the time being, I'm now not using this kernel and went back to Uber. I can crank the volts down LOW when the screen is off and still stream music in my car from my ampache "server" at home without going through 20%+ battery in a 15 minute car ride!

I'd put a HUGE vote in on a hybrid as well. I don't know how technically feasible that is, though. If anyone could figure it out, it'd be 'Psycho, though.

M.
    Not sure if that kind of hybrid would work in this setting. See - you'd want to leave it at 1GHz except when you're streaming with the screen off. Maybe have more clock speeds available so that most people could leave it at 1GHz/1GHz but some people could run it at 1GHz/500MHz. I'm convinced that the reason I get better battery life is because it can speed through the low load tasks that it does during idle, while maintaining a low voltage.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    Not sure if that kind of hybrid would work in this setting. See - you'd want to leave it at 1GHz except when you're streaming with the screen off. Maybe have more clock speeds available so that most people could leave it at 1GHz/1GHz but some people could run it at 1GHz/500MHz.

After thinking about it a bit (and I scrapped a post I was about to make and am "piggy backing" off yours... ), I think Hz scaling with the V scaling would border on pointless. The logic of it I totally follow, but take this real-world example:

If I run it at 500MHz, yet run the modem full bore streaming MP3s, bouncing in and out of cells to boot, it would scale way up to a higher V and sit there. So what then would be the difference in running at 1GHz with the V cranked way down? Nothing, as far as my non-kernel-hacking-brain can reckon. Maybe a half-hundred mAh difference, but in the end, what is that amounting to? Nothing. Right? (really, I'm honestly asking out loud to whomever's new mail sound just went off; Right?)

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernie View Post
    I do have to say that this, to me, overall is the best kernel as far as battery life and snappiness is concerned. It wakes from a black screen pretty nicely, Where as F105 used to studder sometimes, screen on, screen off, scren on, screen off....and then finally come out of screenstate.
    I can attest to this. With F105 I used to constantly have the issue of the phone not responding instantly to the power button, taking multiple presses to wake up etc. Those issues are ancient history with AV8B. I love this kernel. It manages to be superior to every other kernel at everything. Somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    but in the end, what is that amounting to? Nothing. Right?

To answer my own question: No, I'm not thinking about it right. Here's why:

When I'm streaming stuff from home, yes, I wouldn't get much savings (but I guess some is better than none...), BUT, when I get out of the car and I close Ampache Mobile, my screen will be off, the V will go way down, and I'd be mega-saving what battery is left (until I hard-wire a Touchstone in my car! ).

Hmmm... I think maybe there is a use for a "hybrid" after all.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    I can attest to this. With F105 I used to constantly have the issue of the phone not responding instantly to the power button, taking multiple presses to wake up etc. Those issues are ancient history with AV8B. I love this kernel. It manages to be superior to every other kernel at everything. Somehow.
    This has been my experience as well. This kernel blows everything else away when it comes to performance vs. Battery life and heat issues. Everything is buttery smooth, with only the slightest of increased battery drain compared to the 720/500 screenstate I was running previously. It's probably at least as good as, if not better battery-wise than the 800/500 I used to run.

That's likely because we fall into the "two notches below power user" demographic that this kernel is targeted for, but I'm so glad to have it! Thanks again unixpsycho for everything you've done to aid our community.

Btw absolutely no problems with freezes or crashes so far. If people haven't donated yet, now is as good a time as ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    sorry was eating dinner.. Well with stock and uber when I went to sleep with 100% batt life I would wake up to 70% to 60% ... And with av8b harrier I have been waking up to 80%-85% ... And sunday I started off my day with 100% batt life and went to my homie crib to watch the games and with phone calls , text msg , and checkin the scores at th end off the day I had 30% batt life left compared to 15% - 10%.. So overall yeah batt life has been a little better...
    Sounds good. However I still would love to see a version of this that allowed a user to pick their own fixed speed. Then I would like to compare the battery savings from 1ghz and something slower - both with the voltage scaling to see if the lower speed had even more battery life gains or if the "race to idle" mantra is real when data drains the battery faster than just about anything.
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Sounds good. However I still would love to see a version of this that allowed a user to pick their own fixed speed. Then I would like to compare the battery savings from 1ghz and something slower - both with the voltage scaling to see if the lower speed had even more battery life gains or if the "race to idle" mantra is real when data drains the battery faster than just about anything.
    Demanding, aren't we?

There are a few race-to-idle zealots here... this can turn into a flame war.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Demanding, aren't we?

There are a few race-to-idle zealots here... this can turn into a flame war.
    No demands - just a desire expressed. I am thrilled with the amount of choices that are available and I think its really amazing the things this community is doing.

The point of my questioning race-to-idle isn't to say it's not valid - but to say with the limited battery resource available and the statement earlier in this and other threads that DATA was the largest consumer of power - I have to believe that there are users who need a battery optimized profile that is optimized for data use with limited CPU consumption.

Furthermore I think a power management application that looks at overall battery and scales back certain data communications based on preferences of the user would be a wonderful complement to something like this...

But I digress.

Again - Kudos for even trying this. I am not ready to pull the trigger on trying this yet myself - I'm a more mainstream guy with respect to my kernel (still using Stock as my Pre Plus meets my performance needs).
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 12/14/2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: clarifications
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    No demands - just a desire expressed. I am thrilled with the amount of choices that are available and I think its really amazing the things this community is doing.

The point of my questioning race-to-idle isn't to say it's not valid - but to say with the limited battery resource available and the statement earlier in this and other threads that DATA was the largest consumer of power - I have to believe that there are users who need a battery optimized profile that is optimized for data use with limited CPU consumption.

Furthermore I think a power management application that looks at overall battery and scales back certain data communications based on preferences of the user would be a wonderful complement to something like this...

But I digress.

Again - Kudos for even trying this. I am not ready to pull the trigger on trying this yet myself - I'm a more mainstream guy with respect to my kernel (still using Stock as my Pre Plus meets my performance needs).
    Most users can use Mode Switcher or Govnah and choose a profile for time of day or mood to save battery or give a boost in performance. Those things cant be done in kernel space.

I have run my Pre for 2-3 days just on WiFi solely, enabling the CDMA radio for data will suck the life out of it in no time. The WiFi radio has proper WOL and low power on sleep support where it is best if you're worried about battery life.

From all the feedback i'll probably incorporate vdemand having support for other speeds.
    Live free or DIE!