Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    It does have compcache.
    It does?! Oh yes it does! (is it normal that I cant change it?)

Well that makes me feel less happy about the lag. Today for some reason ive been having a semi lag issue: Whenever I get a text or Badkitty update my sms tone goes off, and it skips! Youtube video had that problem too once, the sound in the video was skippy.

But Again I am not sure if that just my phone or if its the kernel. I remember my sound used to skip in older kernels when they were clocked down to 250Mhz. This one doesnt clock down so I have no idea why that is happening.

Youtube is fine now though, but receiving texts tone skips once in a while.

Btw, incase I am coming off as a complainer, I am not complaining lol. I am still sticking to this kernel because it really is smoother than the rest! But since this is a testing kernel I am hoping my feedback is helping.

P.S. Battery life seems better, but I didnt actually calculate it so it maybe a placebo. But even if it is a placebo, thank you for the better battery life all the same!! haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Today for some reason ive been having a semi lag issue: Whenever I get a text or Badkitty update my sms tone goes off, and it skips! Youtube video had that problem too once, the sound in the video was skippy.
    I haven't had an audio skipping issue, but, I will say that mine is very slow to come out of deep sleep. Everything (switching pages, loading mail, etc.) is pretty choppy for 5 or so seconds. The screen takes a second or so to "warm up" as well. I know I'm just talking about a second or two here and there, but, they are humanly noticeable things.

I don't have compcache enabled at the moment. I think it might just be Linux loading stuff out of swap (since I have a Sprint Pre Minus). I'll enable compcache and see if it helps that any.

M.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    For what it's worth, I have found the F105 to be most to my device's liking in performance, battery life, etc. That's not to say that the Harrier can't/won't do better, but I had it for two days (which in all fairness is hardly enough to evaluate the patch, but temp spikes scare this user) and noticed some wild temp spikes (not crazy, like mid to upper 30's) when the device was idle.

Anyone else get that? I know I have Girlie Pre, as the sr71 is a no go for me. Could it be something related?

Last, @ 1Ghz, voltage is at 60 w/F105, but it's 70-odd w/Harrier. Anyone else?
    One thing I have noticed is (maybe) a little battery drain when the Data is on. I think this is related to having a higher CPU load, causing the kernel to switch to a higher voltage. Am I correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  5.    #65  
    I should have better defined the usage for this kernel. AV8B is primarily meant for occasional phone users, not power users. If you are a power user then this kernel might not give any better results than F105, as your CPU will most likely always be hovering around 100% and no voltage scaling will really take place. In that case you will be better off with F105 with "performance" governor and set the OPP7 slot voltage down to what is stable to get decent battery life. A step below power user may want "screenstate" as the governor of choice.

The more CPU load the more battery will be used, there is no way around it. This kernel takes into account running full speed and getting things done quicker (CPU idle) while also dropping the voltage based on the CPU load.

Configuring the numbers to your usage habits will probably lead to better battery life in most cases than the stock F105. YMMV. But remember, the radios are the real battery hogs.
    Live free or DIE!
    This works great, Keep up the good work...
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    It does?! Oh yes it does! (is it normal that I cant change it?)

Well that makes me feel less happy about the lag. Today for some reason ive been having a semi lag issue: Whenever I get a text or Badkitty update my sms tone goes off, and it skips! Youtube video had that problem too once, the sound in the video was skippy.

But Again I am not sure if that just my phone or if its the kernel. I remember my sound used to skip in older kernels when they were clocked down to 250Mhz. This one doesnt clock down so I have no idea why that is happening.

Youtube is fine now though, but receiving texts tone skips once in a while.

Btw, incase I am coming off as a complainer, I am not complaining lol. I am still sticking to this kernel because it really is smoother than the rest! But since this is a testing kernel I am hoping my feedback is helping.

P.S. Battery life seems better, but I didnt actually calculate it so it maybe a placebo. But even if it is a placebo, thank you for the better battery life all the same!! haha
    Not sure why you cant change compcache? Govnah again?

Skipping happens even in stock kernel. Palm uses pulseaudio (violently puking). Also the whole OS wasnt completely built to run in a "real-time" way. Just like a typical Linux desktop install, sound sometimes studders under high CPU or IO load unless you tweak the hell out of it.
    Live free or DIE!
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Well, I've gotten my vdd1 down to 57 55 53. I'm going to keep moving down to find the best setting for all three variables.

I've experienced one problem that I think was already mentioned. Last night my Pre started lagging a bit. I checked Govnah and it showed me running at 500mhz. I turned off the screen and turned it back on and it changed back to 1ghz.
    Still looking into this... not sure how it can happen, but i'm trying to make it happen with all kinds of debugging code turned on.
    Live free or DIE!
    Not sure why you cant change compcache? Govnah again?
    There was a functional change in govnah a few versions ago. You can't change the memlimit while compcache is enabled. You must disabled it, and apply, then you can change the memlimit and reenable it and apply. (It was my understanding that, previously, changing the memlimit while it was enabled wasn't actually change the memlimit.)
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    There was a functional change in govnah a few versions ago. You can't change the memlimit while compcache is enabled. You must disabled it, and apply, then you can change the memlimit and reenable it and apply. (It was my understanding that, previously, changing the memlimit while it was enabled wasn't actually change the memlimit.)
    Oh, yes. You are correct. I remember that change being mentioned somewhere.

I would assume let the user change it then in the background magic; disable it, make the change, then re-enable it.
    Live free or DIE!
    I would assume let the user change it then in the background magic; disable it, make the change, then re-enable it.
    Or you could change the kernel to allow changing the value while its enabled
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Or you could change the kernel to allow changing the value while its enabled
    Touché
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I should have better defined the usage for this kernel. AV8B is primarily meant for occasional phone users, not power users. If you are a power user then this kernel might not give any better results than F105, as your CPU will most likely always be hovering around 100% and no voltage scaling will really take place. In that case you will be better off with F105 with "performance" governor and set the OPP7 slot voltage down to what is stable to get decent battery life. A step below power user may want "screenstate" as the governor of choice.

The more CPU load the more battery will be used, there is no way around it. This kernel takes into account running full speed and getting things done quicker (CPU idle) while also dropping the voltage based on the CPU load.

Configuring the numbers to your usage habits will probably lead to better battery life in most cases than the stock F105. YMMV. But remember, the radios are the real battery hogs.
    You must have meant either F105 with high and low speed set to 1gHz or Uber with performance governor, as F105 does not, so far as I can tell, at least, ship anything other than screenstate.
    Maybe he meant F104
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    You must have meant either F105 with high and low speed set to 1gHz or Uber with performance governor, as F105 does not, so far as I can tell, at least, ship anything other than screenstate.
    Sorry, F104 or Uber, yes.
    Live free or DIE!
    Very good performance boost on my Pre+. All apps open and run faster. I appeciate that it is still OC'd while on the charger. Seems to stay cool (under 40' c).

Install was easy (from Palm default kernel).

I have been running it all day and have thrown a lot at it with no issues so far.

Thanks!!
    switched back to F104A to get a subjective feel of the difference. Obviously my webos mark scores went up by 10% as it is @ 1.1ghz.

I did like the Harrier. When idle (overnight for example) barely 10% drain in 10 hrs of non-use which is infinitely better than what I was used to.

Will report more comparisons later.

- T
    works well!...no issues at all nice performance boost!
    Still looking into this... not sure how it can happen, but i'm trying to make it happen with all kinds of debugging code turned on.
    Just to add. I was also able to get both my Pre's (Sprint Pre Plus & AT&T Pre -) to scale down to 500. For me it only occurs after starting the camera app. Nothing got it back to full speed except for turning the screen off then on with the power button as others have posted. As the graphic shows it does not matter if the PRE was on the touchstone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Must be Govnah problem, blame Oil.
    I'll see if i can (blame) have oil fix govnah.

The problem was not the JSJSJS, $it$ $was$ $the$ $service$.

Govnah 078 in the testing feed will let you change it.

Govnah seems to display the vdd1/2 fields fine in vdemand, unless you want to mimic the standard vdd1_vsel drop down?
    Yes, assuming the settings will stick around, I would want to expand thier entry beyond textfields. But, I don't know how the 3 values should be represented.
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast