Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Everything definitely seems smoother on this kernel than with others (F105 and testing Uber). Battery life doesn't seem any different.
    +
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Everythingsgreat so far. Definitely seems faster than F105, and I am not experiencing any of the lags I was after the last F105 update. +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    So far I have had zero issues with AVB8 - no lockups, no overheating, load averages are deliciously low, battery life is deliciously high. It really sips on the battery during idle time.

And I'm running a girlie pre -- the only way I could boot SR71 was to put the device out in the freezing cold for several minutes. (By the way, protip from a semiconductor engineer: if you ever get stuck in a reset loop due to excessive overclock, try to tossing your device into the freezer for a few minutes. )
    Haha, my Pre got stuck in the loop once and I placed it in the freezer... And then i forgot where I had put it. When I got it out it was very very cold, i sat on it to heat it up faster lol. But I must say a super cold pre feels a lot more solid for some reason haha. Nothing broke

Also the Kernel has been running great under normal circumstances.
    However I noticed that if I launch a few apps at the same time (Facebook, Bad kitty, calendar, browser, Music Remix) I am hit with serious lag and Badkitty and Facebook dont even load fully until i restart them.

Now I know this doesnt have compache and I am running a Pre Minus so it may very well be my phone and not the kernel. But I thought I should let you know!

But I do Love this kernel! I switched to it from SR-71 and havent even considered switching back!
    Last edited by Shaikh; 12/08/2010 at 06:10 AM.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Haha, my Pre got stuck in the loop once and I placed it in the freezer... And then i forgot where I had put it. When I got it out it was very very cold, i sat on it to heat it up faster lol. But I must say a super cold pre feels a lot more solid for some reason haha. Nothing broke

Also the Kernel has been running great under normal circumstances.
    However I noticed that if I launch a few apps at the same time (Facebook, Bad kitty, calendar, browser, Music Remix) I am hit with serious lag and Badkitty and Facebook dont even load fully until i restart them.

Now I know this doesnt have compache and I am running a Pre Minus so it may very well be my phone and not the kernel. But I thought I should let you know!

But I do Love this kernel! I switched to it from SR-71 and havent even considered switching back!
    It does have compcache.
    Live free or DIE!
    Well, I've gotten my vdd1 down to 57 55 53. I'm going to keep moving down to find the best setting for all three variables.

I've experienced one problem that I think was already mentioned. Last night my Pre started lagging a bit. I checked Govnah and it showed me running at 500mhz. I turned off the screen and turned it back on and it changed back to 1ghz.
    I wanted to report that the default vsel settings are working fine for me.
    I have noticed increased battery life when 'idle' (especially overnight et al) but it appears to suck more battery than other UNIX kernels when active. Just a general observation.

In general, other than the original SR71, my Pre (-) has handled everything that UNIX has thrown at it with all default voltages. More like a VanDamme(aged) Pre than a Chuck! lol ltm
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    This kernel is smooth!! I just switched from f105 and the changes are definitely noticeable. Appreciate the work you have done. Running it for a day and the battery life seems to be better. We'll see here over the next few days.
    This kernel has been performing perfectly well for me since I got it a few hours after it was released. However, Govnah won't let me change the voltage settings. Any word from Oil yet?
    After about 6 hours of use, i notice some things I'd like to report on.

1. Battery life is much worse for me. I've been running sr71 for months fine and thought I'd give harrier a try. I think because it is constantly running at 1 ghz instead of screenstating down to 500 mhz.

Unix, Will this kernel be getting screen state support? the ability to scale down when not in use?

2. It is much smoother. I notice a very small performance decrease when opening apps and running webOS Mark. my scores are slightly lower than the sr71. But overall, everything is much smoother and runs nicer. kinda difficult to explain.

No crashes or problems.

Only thing is after watching a 3 hour movie my battery % was from the high 70's to the low 40's with no use from me but receiving a few facebook and txt notifications.

Obviously this is very early testing so this is what i have to report.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what to make of this. Leaving govnah running for quite awhile I can tell that the CPU frequency is definitely staying constant at ~1gHz. However, when the screen is powered off the 1 minute load average will rise as high as somewhere between 20 and 30, whereas I can have the screen on and doing something like listening to internet radio and the load average will be in a normal range, say between 1-2.
    Here's the lowest vdd1 settings I can use without crashing: 56 54 53. The max 56 matches the lowest 1ghz vdd1 setting I used with F105. Everything seems to run smoother overall.. I'm guessing the lack of screen state is why. In my experience battery drain is worse with AV8B vs F105. I ran F105 at 1ghz-500mhz screen state. I have an IMAP email account set to as items arrive and two IM accounts always running. Maybe screen state is more efficient for me since I'm always using a data connection. I bet if I didn't have the IM accounts running the outcome would be different.
    Just wonder. if this patch is set for 1.005 GHZ all the time.... do u think its the same thing if you have Thunder chief and go to the advanced setting in govnah and cpu frequency and setting min and max to 1 ghz ??
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Here's the lowest vdd1 settings I can use without crashing: 56 54 53. The max 56 matches the lowest 1ghz vdd1 setting I used with F105. Everything seems to run smoother overall.. I'm guessing the lack of screen state is why. In my experience battery drain is worse with AV8B vs F105. I ran F105 at 1ghz-500mhz screen state. I have an IMAP email account set to as items arrive and two IM accounts always running. Maybe screen state is more efficient for me since I'm always using a data connection. I bet if I didn't have the IM accounts running the outcome would be different.
    Those settings result in a freeze for me.

With your usage, this kernel may indeed not help you much, but 'Psycho would be able to tell better. However my understanding of this new governor is that when the OS needs food, this can scale up and give it the juice it needs to complete the task at hand. With numbers that low for everything, it'll never get the food it wants/needs hence completely defeating the purpose of this governor.

Notice 'Psycho's example voltages, they are quite spread out and the high value is quite high and the low value is quite low (slightly lower than my silver button Pre Minus can go without the rainbow screen of death). *THAT* is the purpose of this governor...

...is my understanding.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 12/09/2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    1. Battery life is much worse for me. I've been running sr71 for months fine and thought I'd give harrier a try. I think because it is constantly running at 1 ghz instead of screenstating down to 500 mhz.
    YMMV
    Unix, Will this kernel be getting screen state support? the ability to scale down when not in use?
    That would be counter productive to what this kernel is trying to do. It's trying to get good battery using race to idle and dropping the voltage while having low loads. Adding screen-state would counter the race to idle concept.
    2. It is much smoother. I notice a very small performance decrease when opening apps and running webOS Mark. my scores are slightly lower than the sr71.
    The lower scores are expected. SR-71 runs at 1.2GHz and AV8B runs at 1GHz.

In my experience battery drain is worse with AV8B vs F105. I ran F105 at 1ghz-500mhz screen state. I have an IMAP email account set to as items arrive and two IM accounts always running. Maybe screen state is more efficient for me since I'm always using a data connection. I bet if I didn't have the IM accounts running the outcome would be different.
    YMMV, but having a relatively higher load during idle would increase the over all battery drain.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerNamedfTony07 View Post
    Just wonder. if this patch is set for 1.005 GHZ all the time.... do u think its the same thing if you have Thunder chief and go to the advanced setting in govnah and cpu frequency and setting min and max to 1 ghz ??
    Thunderchief doesn't have voltage scaling on demand, so I'm going to say no. Performance-wise, maybe, but the battery life will be much better.
    Thanks for answering:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    With your usage, this kernel may indeed not help you much, but 'Psycho would be able to tell better. However my understanding of this new governor is that when the OS needs food, this can scale up and give it the juice it needs to complete the task at hand. With numbers that low for everything, it'll never get the food it wants/needs hence completely defeating the purpose of this governor.

Notice 'Psycho's example voltages, they are quite spread out and the high value is quite high and the low value is quite low (slightly lower than my silver button Pre Minus can go without the rainbow screen of death). *THAT* is the purpose of this governor...

...is my understanding.

M.
    I concur, most people will probably benefit more from this kernel than me. My Pre doesn't seem to be the norm. It handles extremely low voltages very well. I think I'll be better off with a screen state kernel where I can run 1ghz at 56 and 500mhz at 30.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post

That would be counter productive to what this kernel is trying to do. It's trying to get good battery using race to idle and dropping the voltage while having low loads. Adding screen-state would counter the race to idle concept.
    ok, then i guess what i want to know is is this kernel's goal to achieve better battery life than any of the screen state kernels can achieve? because my phone dropped over 30% battery watching a roughly 3 hour movie of inactivity. Again, i understand there is more work to do but i guess if the end goal is better battery life i am not seeing it.

and on a side note i don't think it would counter the race to idle concept. there are many times my screen is on while I'm not using my phone. i don't understand why adding screen state to this concept would be a bad thing.

is the race to idle concept going to be more efficient than screen state is with battery life?

i'm not trying to disagree, just trying to get a better understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post

The lower scores are expected. SR-71 runs at 1.2GHz and AV8B runs at 1GHz.
    i know this. i was commenting on the fact that AV8B felt smoother and snappier than SR71 did. it surprised me. obviously things that are cpu intensive will not be as fast when it comes down to ghz, but i really liked the responsiveness of this kernel.
    At the moment the goal of this kernel is to experiment with battery saving techniques. Maybe not to achieve better battery life, but for some people it will. The processor under high load during idle will probably draw more power with this kernel than with screen state. At the very least it should perform better with similar battery life for most users. As with all kernels, YMMV. Unix would have to tell you what his intentions are.
    Last edited by A.Stice; 12/09/2010 at 05:26 PM.
    just for clarity (didn't know if you knew what i meant) i was watching the movie on my TV, not my phone. lol.

oh gotcha. thank you for your comments. maybe I'll switch back when some later revisions come out and then test it again. I'm gonna miss the snappiness of his kernel.

thank you for all your hard work guys.
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast