Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #541  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Another minor update - still working great.

I did have some problems with touchscreen not being responsive and/or phone acting a little sluggish but this was after several hours in a tent at ~ 30 degrees. It appeared that my skin was so dry that the touchscreen wasn't responding. I assume that the cold temps would impact battery life but not the device cpu / reliability at low temps - correct? If anything it seemed faster - I ran a Lithium Benchmark and it improved from 440 to 420 (lower is better). The phone was keeping the battery and cpu in the 9 degree C range while outside it ranged from 37 to 30 degrees F over the course of the night.
    LCD's suck when it's cold out and having cold and dry fingers would barely register anything on the touchscreen. Think it needs a little body warmth and salt, iirc.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    this was after several hours in a tent at ~ 30 degrees. It appeared that my skin was so dry that the touchscreen wasn't responding.

Yeah, I know all about that! (pic from a campout last year):

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 10/31/2011 at 02:57 PM.
    I was running AV8B Harrier II on my Palm - Sprint Pre 1.4.5

For some reason I lost my ability to SSH into the phone, and then I couldn't connect via USB. That ended up being fixed by deleting the USB controller on my desktop and changing the USB cable. But while trying to fix the problem, I loaded the recovery Palm Kernel version 1.4.5-10.

Once the problem was fixed, I tried to re-install the AV8B kernel, but no dice <errors listed in attachment as I can't remember how to show the image in-line>

I tried using emergency patch recovery and WebOSRepairUtility, but still can't get it.

I suppose I could Doctor the phone, but that always seems drastic.

How should I have proceeded??
    Attached Files Attached Files
  4.    #544  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    I was running AV8B Harrier II on my Palm - Sprint Pre 1.4.5

For some reason I lost my ability to SSH into the phone, and then I couldn't connect via USB. That ended up being fixed by deleting the USB controller on my desktop and changing the USB cable. But while trying to fix the problem, I loaded the recovery Palm Kernel version 1.4.5-10.

Once the problem was fixed, I tried to re-install the AV8B kernel, but no dice <errors listed in attachment as I can't remember how to show the image in-line>

I tried using emergency patch recovery and WebOSRepairUtility, but still can't get it.

I suppose I could Doctor the phone, but that always seems drastic.

How should I have proceeded??
    Try to install the Recovery kernel a few times.

This problem usually happens when some other tool installs a kernel module or when people play with dual-booting Android.

It is easy to fix for Linux users. You must compare the contents of /boot with what is in the Doctor archive. The Recovery kernel usually forces an over-write of offending files, but sometimes it wont fix something that is symlinked to another file.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Try to install the Recovery kernel a few times.

This problem usually happens when some other tool installs a kernel module or when people play with dual-booting Android.

It is easy to fix for Linux users. You must compare the contents of /boot with what is in the Doctor archive. The Recovery kernel usually forces an over-write of offending files, but sometimes it wont fix something that is symlinked to another file.
    I won't inundate you with details, but I tried the recovery kernel many times with various versions of when and at what point I rebooted the phone.

I opened up Novacomd and compared the files that the installation was complaining about and I could not find any of the /lib/module/ files. I suppose there was some symlink I was missing, and it appeared that the uImage was being overwritten on each boot.

I lost patience and Doctored the phone, although it was an educational expereince as always.

As I said before, I really like this kernel. I was thinking of going back to Uberkernel as from what I understand the features get rolled into it. And that would ease any updates.

But for my phone - old Spring Pre legacy - it appears that Uberkernel has not been updated as recently as your AV8B.

Care to comment?

I have failed to acquire a touchpad and may be at the end of the road for this device.
  6.    #546  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbtrade View Post
    I won't inundate you with details, but I tried the recovery kernel many times with various versions of when and at what point I rebooted the phone.

I opened up Novacomd and compared the files that the installation was complaining about and I could not find any of the /lib/module/ files. I suppose there was some symlink I was missing, and it appeared that the uImage was being overwritten on each boot.

I lost patience and Doctored the phone, although it was an educational expereince as always.

As I said before, I really like this kernel. I was thinking of going back to Uberkernel as from what I understand the features get rolled into it. And that would ease any updates.

But for my phone - old Spring Pre legacy - it appears that Uberkernel has not been updated as recently as your AV8B.

Care to comment?

I have failed to acquire a touchpad and may be at the end of the road for this device.
    AV8B is a different beast than UberKernel. So those features wont get rolled in.

The packaging of both kernels is the same, so the install shouldn't be causing problems.
    Live free or DIE!
    Thanks for all your help.

I doctored the phone and then restored all my apps and patches using Save/Restore and Preware.

Then I reapplied the AV8B kernel and it installed just fine.

So, whatever I had on before was not interfering with the re-install.

My mistake may have been that I am not sure that I uninstalled AV8B prior to installing the Recovery kernel.

db
    my cpu governor is set on vdamand and that's the only option I have to choose. I'm running sprint pre 1.45 with the AV8B harrier 2 kernel. Any help?
    Quote Originally Posted by InSaNeO14 View Post
    my cpu governor is set on vdamand and that's the only option I have to choose. I'm running sprint pre 1.45 with the AV8B harrier 2 kernel. Any help?
    IIRC (been away from webOS a while now...), this is all Harrier is for. Full speed, but allowing voltage play. I think you want Thunderchief if you want to play with the clock frequency in addition to the voltage.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    IIRC (been away from webOS a while now...), this is all Harrier is for. Full speed, but allowing voltage play. I think you want Thunderchief if you want to play with the clock frequency in addition to the voltage.

M.
    hey bro thanks for the quick reply. Any suggestions on what I should set the voltage to? And any other good set up that works for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by InSaNeO14 View Post
    hey bro thanks for the quick reply. Any suggestions on what I should set the voltage to? And any other good set up that works for you?
    Unfortunately I don't have my Pre- with me. I graduated to a Galaxy S2 last October. All my saved kernel settings are in the notes app in the Pre, which is not with me. It's still alive and well (battery lasts damn near a week now that the crappy CDMA modem isn't getting used... (WiFi only)). Getting any info that you're asking well have to wait until tomorrow. Sorry, man.

M.
    yeah I had a google nexus s 4g but it got lost so I'm back tothe pre til I can afford to pay the $100 to replace it
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728