Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knottsboy View Post
    I just checked and it isn't in the testing feeds just the stable feed
    As stated clearly just four posts before yours.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    As stated clearly just four posts before yours.

-- Rod
    sorry west virginia illeteracy kicking in
    Quote Originally Posted by knottsboy View Post
    sorry west virginia illeteracy kicking in
    lol..... illiteracy. You're silly.
    Found this to be unstable, suffered several freezes since installing it. Changed to UberKernel and so far so good.
    I have a Verizon Pre2 runniing 2.1.0
    The AV8B Kernel doesn't show up in my Preware List of Kernels.
    I installed the 2.1 update earlier this week, then added Preware then the Kernels Test Feed. Preware shows 5 kernels total (4 experimental F14, F104A, SR71& UK) (1 Stable Pre2 Palm). If I go to the WebOSInternals Feed on my computer, it shows the 5 kernels above plus the AV8B, F105 & WartHog. Why don't these other kernels show up in Preware? I know Rod stated that the UK & AV8B are in the stable feed.......Is there a special procedure to add the Stable Feed kernels similar to the testing kernels?

I'm thinking of downloading the AV8B to my desktop from the 2.1.0 test feed then installing it via WebOS Quick Install.... will this work?
  6.    #526  
    Quote Originally Posted by rjzepfel View Post
    I have a Verizon Pre2 runniing 2.1.0
    The AV8B Kernel doesn't show up in my Preware List of Kernels.
    I installed the 2.1 update earlier this week, then added Preware then the Kernels Test Feed. Preware shows 5 kernels total (4 experimental F14, F104A, SR71& UK) (1 Stable Pre2 Palm). If I go to the WebOSInternals Feed on my computer, it shows the 5 kernels above plus the AV8B, F105 & WartHog. Why don't these other kernels show up in Preware? I know Rod stated that the UK & AV8B are in the stable feed.......Is there a special procedure to add the Stable Feed kernels similar to the testing kernels?

I'm thinking of downloading the AV8B to my desktop from the 2.1.0 test feed then installing it via WebOS Quick Install.... will this work?
    There is no such thing as AV8B for Pre2, it was only for the Pre.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    There is no such thing as AV8B for Pre2, it was only for the Pre.
    Thanks unixpsycho.

I'm running the F104A-70 kernel, and it is working great. My battery power is still at 100% after 3 hours of phone being off w/ the Screenstate V3 Profile 300/1100.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonkehoe View Post
    Found this to be unstable, suffered several freezes since installing it. Changed to UberKernel and so far so good.
    I know your post is old but me as well. I installed it and it was fine for a few days then I started suffering random lockups. Only battery pull would unfreeze it. This is with stock govnah settings (vdemand 1.005ghz).

What would I need to do to find out what is causing the lockup? I have ssh & lumberjack and whatever else at my disposal and a few linux skills.
    I've had good results with most Kernels and in the past had experimented with directly lower voltages pretty low in UK with success on this Pre Plus (1.4.5.1). I decided to take the plunge on AV8B yesterday. It was screaming fast and didn't seem to overheat the phone.

Sadly after a few hours I tried to use the phone and found it was OFF. It had crashed apparently. It rebooted without errors and I removed the kernel and switched to F102A which is a favorite of mine.

What I want to know is that since this is in the stable feeds - what kind of trouble shooting might help at this point? Is the assumption that my Pre couldn't handle the voltages? Should I reinstall UK and test those voltages to give feedback / comparison? Should I just say to heck with it and try again? This is my day to day phone and I would prefer not to trash it.

800mhz is good, but 1.005Ghz was really really nice... UK on this speed tends to overheat my phone (by my definition - I like to keep the proc under 45C).
  10.    #530  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I've had good results with most Kernels and in the past had experimented with directly lower voltages pretty low in UK with success on this Pre Plus (1.4.5.1). I decided to take the plunge on AV8B yesterday. It was screaming fast and didn't seem to overheat the phone.

Sadly after a few hours I tried to use the phone and found it was OFF. It had crashed apparently. It rebooted without errors and I removed the kernel and switched to F102A which is a favorite of mine.

What I want to know is that since this is in the stable feeds - what kind of trouble shooting might help at this point? Is the assumption that my Pre couldn't handle the voltages? Should I reinstall UK and test those voltages to give feedback / comparison? Should I just say to heck with it and try again? This is my day to day phone and I would prefer not to trash it.

800mhz is good, but 1.005Ghz was really really nice... UK on this speed tends to overheat my phone (by my definition - I like to keep the proc under 45C).
    I'm not sure why you didnt play with the voltages for AV8B? But yet you play with the voltages in UK? If the voltage is too low for the bottom end, then raise it a little. That's why the kernel has that option.

1.4.x is unsupported now. I am not building any kernels for it unless there is an obscene bug, which by now would have been noticed by someone.
    Last edited by unixpsycho; 10/24/2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Live free or DIE!
    I'm not sure why you didnt play with the voltages for AV8B? But yet you play with the voltages in UK? If the voltage is too low for the bottom end, then raise it a little. That's why the kernel has that option.

1.4.x is unsupported now. I am not building any kernels for it unless there is an obscene bug, which by now would have been noticed by someone.
    I may yet try adjusting voltages - I'm just pointing out that I hadn't changed anything from defaults. Also there were several posts before mine that pointed out random resets that other people noticed from a couple of months back. I don't know if this means there is a bug or just that a bunch of people (me included) have devices that can't handle this speed or default voltage settings.

I appreciate what you do. I also know you have to focus efforts or burn out. Just understand that the majority of users are probably still on 1.4.x at least on the phones - I could be wrong but I don't know how to get this data from HP to confirm.
  12.    #532  
    I may yet try adjusting voltages - I'm just pointing out that I hadn't changed anything from defaults. Also there were several posts before mine that pointed out random resets that other people noticed from a couple of months back. I don't know if this means there is a bug or just that a bunch of people (me included) have devices that can't handle this speed or default voltage settings.

I appreciate what you do. I also know you have to focus efforts or burn out. Just understand that the majority of users are probably still on 1.4.x at least on the phones - I could be wrong but I don't know how to get this data from HP to confirm.
    Well, considering Palm is releasing code for 2.x and 3.x fast and furiously, it is a good bet that the 1.4 releases are doomed .

The problem is, I havent seen anyone that said "...i adjusted voltages and it fixed my problem...". If they did then i missed it. The cool thing is you can set the voltages to what is stable for you then save the profile. It's not that I dont want to do a new build, it's the nagging fact that this might only effect a few users when the defaults work fine for most. A fine line to run on, i know.
    Live free or DIE!
    Well, considering Palm is releasing code for 2.x and 3.x fast and furiously, it is a good bet that the 1.4 releases are doomed .

The problem is, I havent seen anyone that said "...i adjusted voltages and it fixed my problem...". If they did then i missed it. The cool thing is you can set the voltages to what is stable for you then save the profile. It's not that I dont want to do a new build, it's the nagging fact that this might only effect a few users when the defaults work fine for most. A fine line to run on, i know.
    Not a fine point (meaning thin - not good - LOL) at all. I think it's a fair and good distinction. I'm going to try AV8B again today and increase my voltages and see what happens. Anything specific that I could collect or supply that will help you know what is or isn't working? I can tell you that the crash occured after I had removed it from my touchstone and it had been unused for a couple of hours.

Currently F102A is working perfectly on MEDIUM VDEMAND. When I first used it long ago on this device I was able to get away with OMG? most of the time but occasionally it would crash. On HIGH I don't recall it ever crashing. Can these devices go from Chuck Norris to Whimpy over time?

In any case - again - I appreciate your efforts and your continued support of this platform.
  14.    #534  
    Not a fine point (meaning thin - not good - LOL) at all. I think it's a fair and good distinction. I'm going to try AV8B again today and increase my voltages and see what happens. Anything specific that I could collect or supply that will help you know what is or isn't working? I can tell you that the crash occured after I had removed it from my touchstone and it had been unused for a couple of hours.

Currently F102A is working perfectly on MEDIUM VDEMAND. When I first used it long ago on this device I was able to get away with OMG? most of the time but occasionally it would crash. On HIGH I don't recall it ever crashing. Can these devices go from Chuck Norris to Whimpy over time?

In any case - again - I appreciate your efforts and your continued support of this platform.
    IIRC AV8B hovers around the same voltage settings as OMG? setting. I would increase the low-load cpu voltage setting a few ticks higher, the other 2 you can probably leave alone since it sounds like your device crashes when idle.

You can grab the kernel log after a crash if you havent powered off the unit.
    Live free or DIE!
    IIRC AV8B hovers around the same voltage settings as OMG? setting. I would increase the low-load cpu voltage setting a few ticks higher, the other 2 you can probably leave alone since it sounds like your device crashes when idle.

You can grab the kernel log after a crash if you havent powered off the unit.
    In my case the unit had shut down. But I think what you are saying is that the next time I power it own I can grab that log - correct? As soon as I reboot / power off I lose it?

Earlier today I raised the bottom from the default 1400 (64) (I think it was 1400) to 1425 (66) and also raised the low system voltage from what it was (I forget) to 1087.5 (39). I wasn't sure if this was going to be adequate but based on your info I'm at least headed down the right path. So far these values are working but time will tell. Once I have convinced myself this is stable I may try lowering either one of these back down - but I'd like to have at least a few days of stability before I change anything to be sure.

Crossed fingers!
  16.    #536  
    In my case the unit had shut down. But I think what you are saying is that the next time I power it own I can grab that log - correct? As soon as I reboot / power off I lose it?

Earlier today I raised the bottom from the default 1400 (64) (I think it was 1400) to 1425 (66) and also raised the low system voltage from what it was (I forget) to 1087.5 (39). I wasn't sure if this was going to be adequate but based on your info I'm at least headed down the right path. So far these values are working but time will tell. Once I have convinced myself this is stable I may try lowering either one of these back down - but I'd like to have at least a few days of stability before I change anything to be sure.

Crossed fingers!
    That's a good start.
    Live free or DIE!
    Electromigration is the key device failure mode that is accelerated by overclocking, and can easily turn a Chuck Norris device into a Whimpy device over time.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Electromigration is the key device failure mode that is accelerated by overclocking, and can easily turn a Chuck Norris device into a Whimpy device over time.
    Interesting. I had never heard of this topic before today.

The good news is that my device has been completely reliable since I upped the two voltages - I have seen one laggy return from idle that worried me but it cleared right up and hasn't happened since. I'm not going to make any changes for now and see how this does. So far battery life isn't stellar but it's not horrible either; performace is as good or better than anything I have used on this Pre (UK, F102B (past), F102A).
    Minor update - still smooth sailing with the changes mentioned earlier. I want to go a few more days and then I will try taking one of the two values (cpu/system) down one tick.

Battery life is OK still but not as good as F102A - but it's pushing things much faster so that's probably not unexpected.
    Another minor update - still working great.

I did have some problems with touchscreen not being responsive and/or phone acting a little sluggish but this was after several hours in a tent at ~ 30 degrees. It appeared that my skin was so dry that the touchscreen wasn't responding. I assume that the cold temps would impact battery life but not the device cpu / reliability at low temps - correct? If anything it seemed faster - I ran a Lithium Benchmark and it improved from 440 to 420 (lower is better). The phone was keeping the battery and cpu in the 9 degree C range while outside it ranged from 37 to 30 degrees F over the course of the night.