Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #421  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I've just been reading about this (I don't have anything Android). I'm seeing some pretty ugly horror stories about this. It also kinda goes against how Li-Ion batteries work. They really shouldn't be dropped to dead zero, but they also can't deal with having electrons pushed into them when there's no where for them to go. If you do choose to add this trickle charge feature, is it something that can be made selectable? I don't know the code behind it, so I don't know how possible that is.

M.
    The way they do it in Android, at least in the HTC kernels, they change the charging code to keep the charging circuits on until the current on the battery reaches something like 4300mV. Then it keeps the charge always hovering around that voltage, never letting it drop too low. And that's where the controversy lies. LiON batteries dont like to be kept at 100% capacity for long periods.

I took a quick peek at trying to attempt this but it seems Palm left the charging duty to the TWL4030 chip and uses it's default registers for over-charging and stuff. The registers can be changed and only stays in effect until reboot, but it could be made selectable pretty easily.

Having that extra 10% is about 2-3 hours of extra use on my EVO. I've been using it for about 3 months and havent had a melting battery yet,
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I will update 1.4.5 kernels if users complain or I see something that is hideous.

But of course all users are encouraged to upgrade to 2.1. saves me time from updating oodles of branches.
    No worries. I didn't really have any notable problems. I had one lock up today (and they have been a lot more frequent), but I'm not sure it has anything to do with Harrier. It may just be that my device is old and has taken few beatings. I may just doctor it and reload everything when I have a spare moment.

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  3.    #423  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    No worries. I didn't really have any notable problems. I had one lock up today (and they have been a lot more frequent), but I'm not sure it has anything to do with Harrier. It may just be that my device is old and has taken few beatings. I may just doctor it and reload everything when I have a spare moment.

Thanks!
    Actually I do seem something in AV8B that should be fixed which is fixed in the 2.1 version. sometime today an update will be out.
    Live free or DIE!
    Is there any truth to the idea that Sprint will get a 2.2 upgrade for Pre- (via WebOS Doctor)?
    Absolutely none. It was a completely fabricated rumour as far as I can see.

-- Rod
    Actually I do seem something in AV8B that should be fixed which is fixed in the 2.1 version. sometime today an update will be out.
    Thank you. So, how do I download it? The old one was posted on your site (but it's not now) and the 2.1 version is on the feeds.

Interestingly, my Updates program says there is an updated version of AV8 Harrier II, but, when I click on it, it says it's not a Palm supported program.

Thanks again!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Absolutely none. It was a completely fabricated rumour as far as I can see.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod. It's too bad. I could have sworn I saw it in Engadget or something. That it was the "something special" that HP was talking about having in the works for Pre- users, for being so loyal.

I'm guessing that special thing is just new customer discounting for leaving Sprint to go to Verizon or AT&T in order to stay with WebOS products.
    Interestingly, my Updates program says there is an updated version of AV8 Harrier II, but, when I click on it, it says it's not a Palm supported program.

Preware is telling you that?

M.
    Preware is telling you that?

M.
    Telling me what? That there's an update available? Or, when I select it for download, that it's not a supported Palm program? Both.

Interesting, huh? But, I checked Preware and it's not showing in updates there (yet?).
    Telling me what? That there's an update available? Or, when I select it for download, that it's not a supported Palm program? Both.

Interesting, huh? But, I checked Preware and it's not showing in updates there (yet?).
    Please post a screen shot. What you're saying not only contradicts itself, it's confusing the hell out of me at this hour (~11PM here).

M.
  10.    #430  
    Thank you. So, how do I download it? The old one was posted on your site (but it's not now) and the 2.1 version is on the feeds.

Thanks again!
    The ones I had posted there were just the ones from:
    Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/
    Live free or DIE!
  11.    #431  

Did you enter the feeds URL incorrectly in Preware?
    Live free or DIE!
    Did you enter the feeds URL incorrectly in Preware?
    Don't think so. That's how I downloaded the 2.1 version of Harrier (though I didn't know that was what it was optimized for). Is there another feed where 1.4.5 is located?
    Please post a screen shot. What you're saying not only contradicts itself, it's confusing the hell out of me at this hour (~11PM here).

M.
    Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the images to attach. So, here are links...

I went to my updates icon and clicked it, and saw that I had package updates...

"][IMG]http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=1999144935352&set=a.1174570681511.27112.1145386443&type=1&theater

I clicked, and saw this...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

I selected AV8 Harrier II V 1.4.5 and got this...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater
    Legacy support! Unix! You are awesome. Thanks!

- A happy AV8B-running Sprint Pre- WebOS 1.4.5 user
    I know this is going to vary, somewhat, from device to device, but, using AV8, and assuming there are no major apps running in the background (other than mode switcher or Quick System Tasks or the like), what should be the approximate hourly battery usage range (%) with data on? And, with data off? For instance, I find that data off can range from as little as 1.68% (complete resting) to over 7+% (very mild usage, maybe a quick on/off of data). With data left on, it can go from over 10% just resting, to over 20% with mild usage and I can burn my whole battery in less than half a day.

I've long outgrown my insistence on speed, AND low power usage. I just plug in where I can, and carry an extra battery or two. But, it does help to know what is normal.

Thanks!
  16.    #436  
    That might be impossible. Like fingerprints, no 2 phones are alike. Everyone uses different profiles, mail settings, Twitter, FB, etc... Normal for some wont be normal for others.

All I know is I can leave my Pre- sitting on the desk running either a SSv2 kernel or AV8B and it will last an easy 2 days; with all radios on, checking background email, FB, etc. That is of course not turning the screen on too much.
    Live free or DIE!
    Wow...I have used just about every kernel that unix has made and this by far has been the best for battery life and performance ... I was using f102 for months but then switched to harrier...I was a little scared bc of the phone being overclocked past 1ghz but I was interested in dynamic voltage scaling. I can tell you that with heavy usage almost throughout the whole day my battery can last at least a day and half and that's on a stock battery...Thank you so much Unix!!!
  18.    #438  
    FYI:
    AV8B-61 requires Govnah 0.8.1+ to operate correctly.
    Live free or DIE!
    FYI:
    AV8B-61 requires Govnah 0.8.1+ to operate correctly.

Will do. Is it "safe" to use the newer Govnah before the bump in Harrier hits the repo? Or is this "Yes, as long as you don't reboot."?

M.
  20.    #440  
    Will do. Is it "safe" to use the newer Govnah before the bump in Harrier hits the repo? Or is this "Yes, as long as you don't reboot."?

M.
    Yep, it's safe. Check values after you upgrade, and make profile adjustments in case things are off.

Or just disable any Profile during upgrade to be safer. .
    Live free or DIE!