Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #401  
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    I've been having similar issues to Targon since installing 2.1.0-28.

Device: Sprint Pre running 2.1.0

Original settings:
    VDD1: 68 64 59
    VDD2: 43 40 37
    Compcache: 16MB
    Override Charger: No

Tried settings:
    VDD1: 68 64 60
    VDD2: 43 40 38

Couldn't get it to reboot without pulling the battery, so I don't have a klog. Immediately upon restarting after installation it showed the palm.com/rom message. Tried to restart it but it wouldn't boot without a battery pull. Booted back in and it ran for a while but it started running very slow so I restarted it. It didn't boot (palm.com/rom message again) so I did another battery pull and adjusted my settings to what Xanadu posted as his settings, listed as tried settings above. Could get it to boot with the new settings (showed the palm logo then just went blank). Tried to boot into recovery mode but it's not responding any more. Even tried a battery pull. I'd be more then happy to pull any log you want (some of them you might need to help me a little in finding, not the best with a linux terminal) as soon as I can get into the darn thing.

Edit: Ok, I've now tried to power on my phone about 20 times after varying amounts of leaving the battery out of the device with no luck. Won't even show the logo. I'm thinking I need to try to get bootie up over the USB. I'll give that a go and report back here.

Edit 2: Well, nevermind. My power button finally stopped working. Still don't know why I was getting the palm.com/rom message but I can get into the phone now. Would it be too late now to pull the logs since I've had the battery out for several hours?
    Too late in getting the kernel buffer.

If you are getting the ROM message then you got bigger problems. Could be file system corruption where it cant read the /boot partition enough to load the kernel.

If you can do a memboot fine but cant boot normally then a Doctor may be in order.
    Live free or DIE!
    I don't even have to memboot. Just reboot with the power switch (which is broken now, so now it's remove battery, plug into wall, replace battery) and it will load up fine about half the time. No idea what's going on. I'll probably doctor it later tonight. Maybe not, though, because I'm going to be switching phones soon anyway. Probably to one of my Pre Pluses.
  3.    #403  
    try bumping up the low end voltage. then save the profile.
    Live free or DIE!
    Ok, bumped it up a bit for low end of VDD1 and VDD2. I've noticed my Pre can't handle as low of voltages as it used to. Probably from all the time I had been putting it through SR71 and various other OC kernels.
    im back to this again n my phone is back to normal. no more overheating. is 35 C a high nimber for temperature. my phone doesnt feel hot but on govnah it says 35 C to 39 C
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo0523 View Post
    im back to this again n my phone is back to normal. no more overheating. is 35 C a high nimber for temperature. my phone doesnt feel hot but on govnah it says 35 C to 39 C
    My phone tends to start acting up once the CPU(as reported by Govnah) hits around 44 C, so it is a BIT warm, but not critical.
    I hope someone can give me some insight. I switched to Harrier II several months ago, because my Uberkernal configs were all running sluggish (including Screenstate 500/1000 and fixed 1000). It was great! It ran snappy, stable and cool. If I kept data off most of the time my battery would barely move. If I used it however I wanted, and plugged in in the car, I could easily go from wakeup to bedtime.

Recently, I got bored and tried Uberkernal again. After playing with screenstate and fixed at various voltage charges, I discovered that only Fixed 1000 worked without lockups, and it wasn't as snappy as I remembered Harrier being. So, off with UK and bacl on with Harrier.

Now, I am getting the speed I had, but I am burning battery at an alarming rate.

Resting, with data off, it uses 1.68% per hour, which is not bad.

Resting with data on, burns over 6% per hour.

As soon as I start to do anything, with data on,I start bleeding power. 5-10 minutes perusing this site, burns an easy 10% (during that 5-10 minutes NOT per hour).

If I take my phone off the charger around 7:30am, and do maybe 15 minutes of calling, a few dozen texts, a little browsing, and maybe check my email a dozen times, I can lose half my battery by 10am with my BlueTooth headset running, and by noon without.

Before, I could use it at will, sometimes remembering to turn the data off, sometimes, not, and I would still get by with the occasional top off. Now, I have to charge almost constantly if I use it at all.

To illustrate my point further, just typing this over the last 5 minutes killed 6% of my power.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST... for the first time, I am getting the "too many cards error" (when I have no cards open).

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 05/04/2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Poor thumb typing!!!
  8.    #408  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I hope someone can give me some insight. I switched to Harrier II several months ago, because my Uberkernal configs were all running sluggish (including Screenstate 500/1000 and fixed 1000). It was great! It ran snappy, stable and cool. If I kept data off most of the time my battery would barely move. If I used it however I wanted, and plugged in in the car, I could easily go from wakeup to bedtime.

Recently, I got bored and tried Uberkernal again. After playing with screenstate and fixed at various voltage charges, I discovered that only Fixed 1000 worked without lockups, and it wasn't as snappy as I remembered Harrier being. So, off with UK and bacl on with Harrier.

Now, I am getting the speed I had, but I am burning battery at an alarming rate.

Resting, with data off, it uses 1.68% per hour, which is not bad.

Resting with data on, burns over 6% per hour.

As soon as I start to do anything, with data on,I start bleeding power. 5-10 minutes perusing this site, burns an easy 10% (during that 5-10 minutes NOT per hour).

If I take my phone off the charger around 7:30am, and do maybe 15 minutes of calling, a few dozen texts, a little browsing, and maybe check my email a dozen times, I can lose half my battery by 10am with my BlueTooth headset running, and by noon without.

Before, I could use it at will, sometimes remembering to turn the data off, sometimes, not, and I would still get by with the occasional top off. Now, I have to charge almost constantly if I use it at all.

To illustrate my point further, just typing this over the last 5 minutes killed 6% of my power.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST... for the first time, I am getting the "too many cards error" (when I have no cards open).

Thanks for any help.
    What version were you running before uninstalling to try UK, then reinstalling?
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    What version were you running before uninstalling to try UK, then reinstalling?
    I originally downloaded the file org.webosinternals.kernels.psycho-av8b-kernel-pre_1.4.5-137_arm.ipk and installed with WebOS Quickinstaller.

The recent one, I pulled down using the testing feed.

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  10.    #410  
    I originally downloaded the file org.webosinternals.kernels.psycho-av8b-kernel-pre_1.4.5-137_arm.ipk and installed with WebOS Quickinstaller.

The recent one, I pulled down using the testing feed.

Thanks!
    oh. 1.4.5. damn. i'll look to merge the 2.1.0 updates to it, if it needs it.

although i'm shocked you got a TMC error. My TMC pwnage for 1.4.5 was solid to rid TMC forever, in 2.1.0 Palm foiled me.

I'm thinking you might need a battery pull since you came from UberKernel. It sounds silly but sometimes it resets things that I do in some of my kernels that are unorthodox.
    Live free or DIE!
    I did pull the battery. Tried a different one in case, but no luck.

Also, I noticed since the UK switch, that I can't get my batteries (ANY of them) to charge better than 98 or 99%. I can sometimes hit 100% but it falls off quickly.

Just so I understand... Is the latest Harrier version optimized for 2.1.0? Because I'm running 1.4.5 . I wasn't going to jump unless a actual, custom WebOS Doctor was configured or the fabled 2.2 for Sprint Pre- actually shows up.

Should I restore the Palm Kernel and reinstall the older version?
    Last edited by pelikan3; 05/05/2011 at 06:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Also, I noticed since the UK switch, that I can't get my batteries (ANY of them) to charge better than 98 or 99%. I can sometimes hit 100% but it falls off quickly.

Just so I understand... Is the latest Harrier version optimized for 2.1.0? Because I'm running 1.4.5 . I wasn't going to jump unless a actual, custom WebOS Doctor was configured or the fabled 2.2 for Sprint Pre- actually shows up.

A while back, Unixpsycho switched to being focused on WebOS 2.1.0, and the 1.4.5 version didn't get much attention. So, we had updates for 2.1, but those improvements did not end up back in the 1.4.5 versions. One thing you should check is what voltage settings you have set in Govnah, since it is possible that moving to UberKernel reset some values in there. I have not checked for a while, but UK did not support voltage scaling the way AV8B does.

A question for Unix then: What are the default values for AV8B right now, so we can check our own settings against what you have set as the default values? When I had my own problems, the response was that I should have posted the values I had(which I couldn't have gotten out anyway at that point), but since I had never changed them myself, I just assumed they were the CURRENT default values.

Could there be a bug that causes the voltage settings for AV8B to get corrupted and cause these sorts of problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    What are the default values for AV8B right now, so we can check our own settings against what you have set as the default values?
    Three ways to find out:

Put 0 0 0 (three zeros) in the voltage field to reset it.

Delete your Govnah profile and reboot.

Read his patches. http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=kernels/patches.git;a=summary

M.
  14.    #414  
    ^^^^ What he said ^^^^^

I may have mentioned it briefly at some point a while ago, to reset all your voltages. This doesnt have to be done all the time. There was a version or 2 that had unalligned access problems so voltages werent being set right.

Always delete profiles! Govnah saves things a certain kernel puts out for a config but it may be invalid in another kernel. Like settings from F102 will not match up to a booted F105 kernel, even tho you think it's harmless settings.
    Live free or DIE!
  15.    #415  

Batteries will never hit 100% unless you do a bump charge. The TWL chipset wont let you go much higher or keep the battery full consistently. I was thinking of porting over the SBC hack from Android but I dont see Pre users complaining of the fast 10% drop off from 100%.

Try going back to that original version you had and see what happens. Ruling out a placebo....
    Live free or DIE!
    Batteries will never hit 100% unless you do a bump charge. The TWL chipset wont let you go much higher or keep the battery full consistently. I was thinking of porting over the SBC hack from Android but I dont see Pre users complaining of the fast 10% drop off from 100%.

Try going back to that original version you had and see what happens. Ruling out a placebo....
    Will give it a try. Any plans to update 1.4.5?

Is there a chance that a custom WebOS Doctor for 2.1.0 (all in one, single step upgrade) will come about, instead of Metadoctor?

Is there any truth to the idea that Sprint will get a 2.2 upgrade for Pre- (via WebOS Doctor)?

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Is there a chance that a custom WebOS Doctor for 2.1.0 (all in one, single step upgrade) will come about, instead of Metadoctor?
    You can always build your own to do whatever you want it to do. Rod/Ed and 'Psycho have given us all the tools as it is.

Is there any truth to the idea that Sprint will get a 2.2 upgrade for Pre- (via WebOS Doctor)?
    I think they get plenty enough support calls as it is now. I don't think they want to had however many Pre- Users are left calling in for the answer to be "Just reboot your phone and it'll be fine." to the list.

M.
  18.    #418  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    You can always build your own to do whatever you want it to do. Rod/Ed and 'Psycho have given us all the tools as it is.

I think they get plenty enough support calls as it is now. I don't think they want to had however many Pre- Users are left calling in for the answer to be "Just reboot your phone and it'll be fine." to the list.

M.
    webOS 2.1 totally sux on a Pre-. If not overclocked I would have chucked it across the room. It's like having a sticky mouseball. I cant imagine a 2.2 update ever coming to a Pre-, it would be like running Vista on a Pentium Pro.

But there's nothing stopping someone from dragging over binaries from a Pre2 2.2 and making some hacks. might get ugly tho.
    Live free or DIE!
  19.    #419  
    Will give it a try. Any plans to update 1.4.5?

Thanks!
    I will update 1.4.5 kernels if users complain or I see something that is hideous.

But of course all users are encouraged to upgrade to 2.1. saves me time from updating oodles of branches.
    Live free or DIE!
    I was thinking of porting over the SBC hack from Android but I dont see Pre users complaining of the fast 10% drop off from 100%.
    I've just been reading about this (I don't have anything Android). I'm seeing some pretty ugly horror stories about this. It also kinda goes against how Li-Ion batteries work. They really shouldn't be dropped to dead zero, but they also can't deal with having electrons pushed into them when there's no where for them to go. If you do choose to add this trickle charge feature, is it something that can be made selectable? I don't know the code behind it, so I don't know how possible that is.

M.