Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Thanks! Also noticed some lag until I did a battery pull (after appropriately shutting down of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Hey!

For those who are updating to the newest Harrier (-27), you may need to do a battery pull, not just a reboot. It PLOWED though just under 40% of my battery in about 45 minutes until I did.

Just a head's up.

M.
    I noticed on my Palm Pre that it would revert to 500mhz after a while, even just sitting there. I would have to uninstall and re-install the kernel to get it to work at 1005mhz again.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmeph View Post
    I noticed on my Palm Pre that it would revert to 500mhz after a while, even just sitting there. I would have to uninstall and re-install the kernel to get it to work at 1005mhz again.
    Sitting where? On a Touchstone?

M.
    Again (2.1) this kernel is great. Sometimes not going down to 500 on TS but never got overheating. 2.1 needs a daily reboot to get the memory back.
    Thanks again u nix psycho ;-)
    Last edited by somline; 03/28/2011 at 11:29 AM.
    Sitting where? On a Touchstone?

M.
    Plugged into the Palm USB charger. If it makes a difference I'm using the big extended battery which is not touchstone compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmeph View Post
    Plugged into the Palm USB charger. If it makes a difference I'm using the big extended battery which is not touchstone compatible.

Then that would be by design. It's supposed to clock down on charging. You can override that if you wish.

M.
    Then that would be by design. It's supposed to clock down on charging. You can override that if you wish.
    M.
    Good catch Xanadu ;-)
    @djmeph: It is done to prevent the device from overheating while charging because the battery will heat thinks up.

M.
    Thanks, I'm not sure why that didn't cross my mind.
  9. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I thought that was not true for USB port charging, only for TS and wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    I thought that was not true for USB port charging, only for TS and wall.
    Sorry I don't know because I never (except for the doc) plug in a cable ;-)
  11.    #391  
    Is there a bug? I leave the USB cable plugged in or hours at a time and never has it went to 500MHz for AV8B.

It will only scale down with TS and 1A charger (or a >500mA charger), or when battery level hits 25%, or when overheating.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I had my first problem with AV8B yesterday. It seemed like an overheat problem, but it could have been something else.

AT&T Palm Pre Plus with WebOS 2.1
    AV8B 2.1.0-27

Symptom: after talking on it with a voice call, the sound suddenly got stuck with a steady tone, followed by a crash/reboot. It got stuck in a reboot loop, and it felt hot. I eventually got it shut down and once it cooled enough, I uninstalled AV8B. Stock voltages that came with it, I never modified the settings.

I never had this problem under 1.4.5, and had no problems prior to this latest build, so I don't know what changed that might have caused this one. I will re-install it later once I wake up a bit more and will be awake enough to properly respond if the temps go through the roof again.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    If anything, -28 was worse for me than -27. I am currently going to the WebOS Doctor to get my phone back...Touchstone or wall charger couldn't get my phone working properly again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    If anything, -28 was worse for me than -27. I am currently going to the WebOS Doctor to get my phone back...Touchstone or wall charger couldn't get my phone working properly again.

Then you're doing something wrong. I'm getting killer idle drain (or lack of "drain"!):

M.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Then you're doing something wrong. I'm getting killer idle drain (or lack of "drain"!):

M.
    I didn't do ANYTHING wrong. I got the notice about the update in Preware, installed it, rebooted, and it went into the loop from hell, even after I put it on the Touchstone. Only way I could resolve it was a trip to the doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    I didn't do ANYTHING wrong.

• You did not memboot your phone to get a crash log.
    • You did not report voltage settings.
    • You did not report hardware type.
    • You did not even try a battery pull.

UnixPsycho maybe a wizard with kernel hacking, but, he's not a mind reader. If something's broke, a "My phone crashed!" report is of zero use. This is ALPHA grade software that should only be used if you are able to fill out a proper bug report, which includes REAL info, like this:

Hardware: Sprint Pre- (silver button)
    Kernel: AV8B-28
    VDD1: 66 63 60
    VDD2: 43 40 38
    Override: True
    klog1: klog1.zip

^^^^^^

That is the header for a proper bug report. From there you detail the steps you took in order to recover (which just about never includes having to Doctor because then all that info is gone).

Yes, you did do something wrong. You erased all traces of what happened so it can be fixed if it's a real problem before it gets too wide spread. Yes, that's info from my phone right now. It took a whopping 2 minutes.

M.

(Psycho: That klog is a clean boot, It's safe to ignore. I pulled it for the example of what it looks like)
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Considering I have not done ANY changes, and my phone was so far gone that I couldn't get into it to get a log, I provided what I could. When I reported the -27 problem, I provided:

AT&T Pre Plus with WebOS 2.1, as well as the version of the kernel. I don't know what the stock voltages are for both -27 and -28, so just looking at the unmodified settings would provide the voltage settings.

And yes, I DID try the battery pull, left it out for two hours before trying to get it to boot again with ZERO change.

Something about the voltage settings in -27 and -28 caused stability issues with my device. It may not have ALL the information that would help isolate what wasn't working, but there you go. Is it better to not report problems at all, or report problems with less than ideal information?

• You did not memboot your phone to get a crash log.
    • You did not report voltage settings.
    • You did not report hardware type.
    • You did not even try a battery pull.

UnixPsycho maybe a wizard with kernel hacking, but, he's not a mind reader. If something's broke, a "My phone crashed!" report is of zero use. This is ALPHA grade software that should only be used if you are able to fill out a proper bug report, which includes REAL info, like this:

Hardware: Sprint Pre- (silver button)
    Kernel: AV8B-28
    VDD1: 66 63 60
    Override: True
    klog1: klog1.zip

^^^^^^

That is the header for a proper bug report. From there you detail the steps you took in order to recover (which just about never includes having to Doctor because then all that info is gone).

Yes, you did do something wrong. You erased all traces of what happened so it can be fixed if it's a real problem before it gets too wide spread. Yes, that's info from my phone right now. It took a whopping 2 minutes.

M.

(Psycho: That klog is a clean boot, It's safe to ignore. I pulled it for the example of what it looks like)
    I've tried all the kernels with my Vzw Pre+ 2.1 and I like this one the best. The SR71 was just a little too much for my phone. I noticed that it seemed to work well with one battery, but did wanted to reboot with a different battery.

F105 was pretty good, but I didn't really like the delays caused by the screenstate settings, especially when turning on the screen.

Since using this AV8B, my phone is fast, responsive and my battery life is great. I did find my phone had shut down yesterday sometime after doing the update to -28. It started up fine so I can't say it was because of the kernel update. If there is a log that might tell me why it crashed, I could look for it. However, I have my logging set to minimal so I might not have a proper log.

Anyhow, great work and thanks for all your efforts Unixpsycho!!
  19.    #399  
    The key is to get the klog without pulling the battery after a crash. If you find the phone turned off and can power it back on without a battery pull, then that is a graceful shutdown. That can be caused by battery being too low.

Unless a slew of people have the same problem, then I rate some things as an anomaly. The voltages dropped in -27 since everyone seemed to get good stats from obscenely low voltage settings, but I didnt default them *that* low.
    Live free or DIE!
    I've been having similar issues to Targon since installing 2.1.0-28.

Device: Sprint Pre running 2.1.0

Original settings:
    VDD1: 68 64 59
    VDD2: 43 40 37
    Compcache: 16MB
    Override Charger: No

Tried settings:
    VDD1: 68 64 60

Couldn't get it to reboot without pulling the battery, so I don't have a klog. Immediately upon restarting after installation it showed the palm.com/rom message. Tried to restart it but it wouldn't boot without a battery pull. Booted back in and it ran for a while but it started running very slow so I restarted it. It didn't boot (palm.com/rom message again) so I did another battery pull and adjusted my settings to what Xanadu posted as his settings, listed as tried settings above. Could get it to boot with the new settings (showed the palm logo then just went blank). Tried to boot into recovery mode but it's not responding any more. Even tried a battery pull. I'd be more then happy to pull any log you want (some of them you might need to help me a little in finding, not the best with a linux terminal) as soon as I can get into the darn thing.

Edit: Ok, I've now tried to power on my phone about 20 times after varying amounts of leaving the battery out of the device with no luck. Won't even show the logo. I'm thinking I need to try to get bootie up over the USB. I'll give that a go and report back here.

Edit 2: Well, nevermind. My power button finally stopped working. Still don't know why I was getting the palm.com/rom message but I can get into the phone now. Would it be too late now to pull the logs since I've had the battery out for several hours?
    Last edited by A.Stice; 03/31/2011 at 05:14 PM.