Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    you could try changing to a different profile then back to default. I believe that should reset it.
    When I try to either Disable profile or switch profiles, nothing happens. It stays on the current one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Govnah displays exactly the set of features that the kernel exposes.

If something appears or disappears from Govnah, it's because it has appeared or disappeared from the kernel that you are currently running.

-- Rod
    Right, sorry, that's what I meant, on the current kernel it doesn't display the Hz
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    When I try to either Disable profile or switch profiles, nothing happens. It stays on the current one.

Right, sorry, that's what I meant, on the current kernel it doesn't display the Hz
    Post a screenshot please.

-- Rod
    Post a screenshot please.

-- Rod
    I'll try to make sense this time haha.

Right now I'm running at 1.005Ghz AV8B Harrier Kernel.

I go to change it to a new profile, right now just using AV8B as example.

Still on Profile 49. I've tried using custom profiles/disabling/remaking the profile and it doesn't work.

What I was referring to before though:

In this scene, on certain kernels(example screenstate) you can choose the frequency, such as 1000 for screen on, 500 for screen off. In this kernel, in version 0.7.0 (I think) you could view the frequency, the only option being 1.005Ghz.

This seemed redundant as you couldn't change it, which is why I think it was removed in this current version. However, whenever I'm running certain load heavy applications, such as VBA, the frequency drops down to 500MHz.

The ondemand governer changes the frequency based on load average, scaling up per demand use. vdemand (to my understanding) changes the voltage based on demand, but I thought this kernel was supposed to maintain 1.005Ghz, just changing voltage to match the demand.

So in version 0.7.0 of Govnah, where I used to be able to see the current frequency, it would be set to 5000000(similar to what you see in Manual Entry), and if I tapped that, my only option was 1.005Ghz, to which I changed back and it never scaled down again(until I restarted my phone or something).

Now with Govnah 0.7.24, that isn't there, and when I use VBA or something similar, it scales to 500Mhz. My question is: is this AV8B or Govnah?
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    My question is: is this AV8B or Govnah?
    Govnah does not directly control the frequency.

Govnah displays the kernel parameters that each specific kernel exposes. It has no in-built information about which parameters there are for which kernel - it simply displays those parameters that the currently active kernel is exposing at that time (which is also dependent upon which governor is selected for that kernel at that time).

Govnah also allows you to change the subset of those kernel parameters that the currently active kernel has marked as writeable. If the kernel does not mark a parameter as writeable, it is not shown by Govnah in the settings screen.

Note that these kernels have a number of things which can trigger the frequency to change to 500MHz, including temperature limits, battery discharge limits and charger detection. Again, none of that is done directly by Govnah, but Govnah does allow you to change the kernel parameters which control those things.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Govnah does not directly control the frequency.

Govnah displays the kernel parameters that each specific kernel exposes. It has no in-built information about which parameters there are for which kernel - it simply displays those parameters that the currently active kernel is exposing at that time (which is also dependent upon which governor is selected for that kernel at that time).

Govnah also allows you to change the subset of those kernel parameters that the currently active kernel has marked as writeable. If the kernel does not mark a parameter as writeable, it is not shown by Govnah in the settings screen.

Note that these kernels have a number of things which can trigger the frequency to change to 500MHz, including temperature limits, battery discharge limits and charger detection. Again, none of that is done directly by Govnah, but Govnah does allow you to change the kernel parameters which control those things.

-- Rod
    Well currently my device isn't doing any of those, but I've never seen a discharge limit before. I understand that Govnah simply reads off what the kernel gives it.

So to either unixpsycho or I guess anyone: is this an intentional feature of vdemand or something unknown?
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I should have better defined the usage for this kernel. AV8B is primarily meant for occasional phone users, not power users. If you are a power user then this kernel might not give any better results than F105, as your CPU will most likely always be hovering around 100% and no voltage scaling will really take place. In that case you will be better off with F105 with "performance" governor and set the OPP7 slot voltage down to what is stable to get decent battery life. A step below power user may want "screenstate" as the governor of choice.

The more CPU load the more battery will be used, there is no way around it. This kernel takes into account running full speed and getting things done quicker (CPU idle) while also dropping the voltage based on the CPU load.

Configuring the numbers to your usage habits will probably lead to better battery life in most cases than the stock F105. YMMV. But remember, the radios are the real battery hogs.

This may seem like a silly question, but the term "Power User" can seem subjective to some. Is there a place where the different categories of phone user are quantified? This will give us an idea of whether or not this kernel is a fit for us.

That said, I am into my 3rd or 4th hour (hardly an indicative timeframe, I know) with no freezes, no overheating, and VERY snappy performance. With data off (I've given up expecting decent battery life with data on), battery life seems to be pretty good, though I haven't truly tested it.

I made the switch because, for whatever reason, my device, under Uber Kernel, was getting VERY laggy, even at fixed 1ghz. I was getting a lot of lock ups and freezes, and even locking when my screen was off during a call, so I couldn't wake it up. Apps took forever to open too. I'm not sure what the deal was. My device is no more full than it was before (3G left out of 8) and I reboot it at least every other day. But, it just steadily, over a month or so, bogged down so much that I went from using 250/1000 CPU scaling, to 250/1000 screenstate to 500/1000 screenstate to Fixed 1000 (battery life be darned). And, still it got more and more sluggish. NOW it runs like a champ and feels like a new phone so THANK YOU UNIXpsycho!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    I should have better defined the usage for this kernel. AV8B is primarily meant for occasional phone users, not power users. If you are a power user then this kernel might not give any better results than F105, as your CPU will most likely always be hovering around 100% and no voltage scaling will really take place. In that case you will be better off with F105 with "performance" governor and set the OPP7 slot voltage down to what is stable to get decent battery life. A step below power user may want "screenstate" as the governor of choice.

The more CPU load the more battery will be used, there is no way around it. This kernel takes into account running full speed and getting things done quicker (CPU idle) while also dropping the voltage based on the CPU load.

Configuring the numbers to your usage habits will probably lead to better battery life in most cases than the stock F105. YMMV. But remember, the radios are the real battery hogs.
    Regardless of what I posted above, I get over a days battery life if my EvDO radio is off, and I get about 17 hours with WiFi on. And I'm a pretty heavy user.

Would I be better off with screenstate v2?
  8.    #288  
    Well currently my device isn't doing any of those, but I've never seen a discharge limit before. I understand that Govnah simply reads off what the kernel gives it.

So to either unixpsycho or I guess anyone: is this an intentional feature of vdemand or something unknown?
    Is what an intention feature?

If battery is below 25% it drops to 500MHz, that is configurable. Nothing to do with vdemand.

There are a bunch of reasons for the CPU to be set to 500MHz, vdemand wont do it by itself unless one those catastrophic events. So something in the background is doing it. I have yet to have it happen to me.
    Live free or DIE!
  9.    #289  
    Regardless of what I posted above, I get over a days battery life if my EvDO radio is off, and I get about 17 hours with WiFi on. And I'm a pretty heavy user.

Would I be better off with screenstate v2?
    You might be better with Screenstate v2, since you have that other abnormality. Try it out.
    Live free or DIE!
    I am burning through a lot of battery power the past few days, probably more because I've made more, and longer calls than I have in quite a while. Figuring my phone doesn't need to run at 1ghz during calls, I decided to switch to screenstate V2 that has been mentioned, and see how that helped. I have two settings that show in Govnah: AV8B Default and VDemand 1005. When I choose VDemand 1005, it just reverts to AV8B Default. Since VDemand 1005 is not the screenstate V2 option, I went into Advanced Settings to create a new profile and found that I can't adjust the minimum speed.

So. I confess my novice-ness. What is this V2 and how do I get me some?

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    So. I confess my novice-ness. What is this V2 and how do I get me some?

Harrier has only one speed: 1GHz. If you're looking for voltage scaling *and* frequency scaling, you'll want to look into F105 Thunderchief and its ScreenStateV2 governor.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Harrier has only one speed: 1GHz. If you're looking for voltage scaling *and* frequency scaling, you'll want to look into F105 Thunderchief and its ScreenStateV2 governor.

M.
    Thanks you

I'm so embarrassed
    Thanks you

I'm so embarrassed

No need to be! The testng kernels gnerally focus on one or two thngs at a time to see what works and what doesn't. That's a Good Thing. The downside is it can be kind of confusing because if it.

M.
    No need to be! The testng kernels gnerally focus on one or two thngs at a time to see what works and what doesn't. That's a Good Thing. The downside is it can be kind of confusing because if it.

M.
    Thanks. I appreciate that.

p.s. my 5 year old really wanted me to include a smily and he liked this one

M.
    Thanks, I appreciate that.
    Does anyone have any recommended voltages settings or should I just leave it at stock? I'd like to improve battery life, but want to stop short of any slowdown. I love the speed too much.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 02/08/2011 at 10:22 PM.
    Thanks. I appreciate that.

p.s. my 5 year old really wanted me to include a smily and he liked this one
    There's a few others that are pretty funny too:

M.
    I'm on a noobie roll here...

I played with some lower voltage settings and, my pre slowed down noticeably. I want to set it back to default and then test by going down 1 setting at a time and noting any changes. But... I kinda forgot to note the default voltage settings are.

A little help please?

Thank you
  19.    #299  
    I'm on a noobie roll here...

I played with some lower voltage settings and, my pre slowed down noticeably. I want to set it back to default and then test by going down 1 setting at a time and noting any changes. But... I kinda forgot to note the default voltage settings are.

A little help please?

Thank you
    set all the voltages to "0" should make it default. I think. Too much code to keep track of.

Or just delete the Profile you were using and reboot.
    Live free or DIE!
    Thanks! Of course I took the long way and deleted and re-installed Harrier and Govnah.

It seemed sluggish after the reinstall, so I deleted the profile and rebooted, as suggested. It came up with nothing in the profile list, and showed the profile on the main screen as UNKNOWN and 1.005. So, I changed the name. It runs fine.

Thanks for the help and thanks for the great kernel. It's like having a new phone.

set all the voltages to "0" should make it default. I think. Too much code to keep track of.

Or just delete the Profile you were using and reboot.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 02/09/2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: I talk too much.