Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    My Pre also crashes with the latest update, but I have not experienced the Rainbow Screen of Death. After a bit of use of Govnah, a bunch of black artifacts show up and my Pre freezes. During these type of events, should I do a battery pull or something else that will not risk corrupting files on the phone?
  2.    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    My Pre also crashes with the latest update, but I have not experienced the Rainbow Screen of Death. After a bit of use of Govnah, a bunch of black artifacts show up and my Pre freezes. During these type of events, should I do a battery pull or something else that will not risk corrupting files on the phone?
    Increase the voltages until the -160 release finally gets built.
    Live free or DIE!
    Done. Increasing the voltage settings up 2 notches makes my phone pretty stable.
    You should try:

1) Normal reboot - Opt-Sym-R

2) Power mute wiggle

If your kernel is in a state were neither of those two work, then the damage is already done and a catastrophic power failure (battery pull) cannot make it any worse than the catastrophic kernel crash which has already happened.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5.    #245  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You should try:

2) Power mute wiggle

If your kernel is in a state were neither of those two work, then the damage is already done and a catastrophic power failure (battery pull) cannot make it any worse than the catastrophic kernel crash which has already happened.

-- Rod
    Love the word "catastrophic".
    Live free or DIE!
    You should try:

2) Power mute wiggle

-- Rod
    Thankfully, my Pre has survived every catastrophic crash.
    Thankfully, my Pre has survived every catastrophic crash.
    Yep, Linux is quite resilient. But not 100% so. People who lose application settings, or wallpaper settings, or so forth, are experiencing the outcome of the catastrophic crashes that happen when you push your device past the limits that it can handle.

Filesystem corruption is an insidious thing which may not show itself until months after the actual damage is done ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Yep, Linux is quite resilient. But not 100% so. People who lose application settings, or wallpaper settings, or so forth, are experiencing the outcome of the catastrophic crashes that happen when you push your device past the limits that it can handle.

Filesystem corruption is an insidious thing which may not show itself until months after the actual damage is done ...

-- Rod
    Save/Restore uploading backups to a cloud server would definitely come in handy in those situations.
  9. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if i'm understanding this correctly, were the voltages we were putting in previously not the actual voltages being applied?
    Update to 160 went smooth, no boot loops, etc. I've only booted once, but, it was better then not at all!

Question, though: Is this normal for Harrier? Maybe I just never noticed before. This was just a few minutes after boot.

Quote Originally Posted by CLI
    / # uname -a
    Linux palm-webos-device 2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430 #2 Thu Jan 13 04:22:20 UTC 2011 armv7l unknown

M.
  11.    #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Update to 160 went smooth, no boot loops, etc. I've only booted once, but, it was better then not at all!

Question, though: Is this normal for Harrier? Maybe I just never noticed before. This was just a few minutes after boot.

M.
    Govnah now displays the kernels it's running.

The time is state is normal, dont know if it was any different before. It lists the 5-7 CPU freq slots and it's graphed time in state.
    Live free or DIE!
  12.    #252  
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    I'm not sure if i'm understanding this correctly, were the voltages we were putting in previously not the actual voltages being applied?
    The last Harrier (before -159) had a huge bug.... and I'm surprised Pre's werent dropping dead everywhere and falling out of the sky.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Govnah now displays the kernels it's running.

The time is state is normal, dont know if it was any different before. It lists the 5-7 CPU freq slots and it's graphed time in state.

Sorry, I should've typed it different. I meant it more as Harrier running at something other than 1GHz at all. I guess if you're saying that those other slots even exist, then I guess it's "normal" and I just never noticed it.

M.
  14.    #254  
    Sorry, I should've typed it different. I meant it more as Harrier running at something other than 1GHz at all. I guess if you're saying that those other slots even exist, then I guess it's "normal" and I just never noticed it.

M.
    Oh! I had F105 on my mind. You're right! Let me look into that.

Harrier should only run at 500 when 1A Charger is plugged in or temp alarm goes off.
    Live free or DIE!
    Oh! I had F105 on my mind. You're right! Let me look into that.

Harrier should only run at 500 when 1A Charger is plugged in or temp alarm goes off.

Ya know what? Let me reboot this thing and see if I see it again. I updated when I woke up and before the initial dose of caffine. It may have still been on the Touchstone when it booted which would explain it then since the default would be to *not* override charger. D'oh!

M.
    It may have still been on the Touchstone when it booted which would explain it

It was on the Touchstone. Nothing to see here, move along.

Quote Originally Posted by CLI
    / # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    1005000 32123
    550000 0
    500000 0

M.
  17.    #257  
    It was on the Touchstone. Nothing to see here, move along.

M.
    Live free or DIE!
    The last Harrier (before -159) had a huge bug.... and I'm surprised Pre's werent dropping dead everywhere and falling out of the sky.
    This is my first attempt with a testing kernel and -159 works like a charm. Love the speed increase from the stable UberKernel and battery life has been very good. (dropping about 5 percent an hour with light use). I took a leap of faith jumping right into AV8B without ever trying a testing Kernel before but so far so good. Should I stick with -159 for now or is the bump to -160 recommended ASAP?
    Quote Originally Posted by pbalcombe View Post
    This is my first attempt with a testing kernel and -159 works like a charm. Love the speed increase from the stable UberKernel and battery life has been very good. (dropping about 5 percent an hour with light use). I took a leap of faith jumping right into AV8B without ever trying a testing Kernel before but so far so good. Should I stick with -159 for now or is the bump to -160 recommended ASAP?
    As a beta tester, you always update to the latest versions so you can provide feedback here in the forums.
  20.    #260  
    Quote Originally Posted by pbalcombe View Post
    As gollyzila said, always update testing kernels.

-160 is the same as -159, except for higher default voltages to stop boot loops on wimpy Pre.

So users will have to adjust vdemand voltages again to fit their workload, and save the policy.
    Live free or DIE!