Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Try a battery pull, esp coming from F105.
    Thanks for all your help! Here's what I did after reading the last 5 or 6 posts (including yours): Updated Network Settings and PRL, reboot, uninstall F105, reboot, shut down. Pull battery, wait 30 seconds. Booted up, installed AV8B Harrier II. Reboot. Shut down. Pull battery, wait 30 seconds. Booted up... unfortunately, same issues. Just keeping you posted! Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by quini View Post
    I've been running at the voltages shown below for a couple of days (kernel 1.4.5-148 now, before -146) with -apparently- no problems:

-vdd1: 56 48 36
    -vdd2: 40 35 30

The battery consumption is very moderate when idle; I use near a 50% from 8 to 22h, with data/wifi off unless needed (I'm not a heavy user).
    I've been using 1.4.5-148 since release with the above settings (*), and it's working like a charm, fast and solid.

Most of the time it's idle, and sometimes I use it hard (wifi or 3G on, surfing, facebook, preware, app catalog, >2 web browsers, mail...)... despite the battery may go down 15% within 15-25 minutes, it only takes a 0 to 2% when on airplane mode for 8h (I set it on airplane mode by night)...

Overall it's the best kernel for me... I can still use it for 2 complete days without charging, and it gives all power when needed. Thanks, unixpsycho!

(*) vdd1 raised to 56 48 37
    Switched over to harrier to test it, currently running 58 50 39 vdd1 and 42 37 32 vdd2 successfully (a hair lower was unstable for me).

Seems solid and fast, webosmark hits 567 (previously was running 625-627 using F104a) but the phone doesn't seem to be slower... Programs loading smoothly and the phone wakes up without a stutter.

No idea how battery life will be, I'll give some more thoughts once I've had a day or two to feel out the battery drain.
  4.    #204  
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    So, a question (or two) for ya unipsycho!

I've been pleasantly enjoying your overclocks for awhile now, and have been running a slightly voltage tweaked F104A (1.4.5-110) as my kernel. I've enjoyed it's 1.1ghz and what seems to be some of the best battery life/speed I've ever pulled out of my pre. It's comfortably webosmark'ing in the 625 range and feels snappy. In short, I'm happy.

My question is, which of your various kernels do -you- suggest as the one I should be running. I've been out of the loop a bit lately (busy with school/baby) so I haven't kept up with all the new developments. I'm intrigued by harrier but I figured I'd ask what you thought before I fiddle with what has lately been an exceptional user experience. Any specific recommendations?
    If F104 works good for you then stick with it. All of the kernels and tuned for different work loads. All I can say is try them and see which one works better for you and the way you use your phone.
    Live free or DIE!
  5.    #205  
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpco View Post
    Thanks for all your help! Here's what I did after reading the last 5 or 6 posts (including yours): Updated Network Settings and PRL, reboot, uninstall F105, reboot, shut down. Pull battery, wait 30 seconds. Booted up, installed AV8B Harrier II. Reboot. Shut down. Pull battery, wait 30 seconds. Booted up... unfortunately, same issues. Just keeping you posted! Thanks again.
    Try increasing the VDD2 voltages for the low end.
    Live free or DIE!
  6.    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by KestoD View Post
    sorry if this was already addressed but i was wondering if there was a 800mhz version of this kernal coming soon? my pre cant handle 1ghz very well unfortunately =P
    Use F102A beta.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Of course. I shouldnt assume everyone knew what I meant .
    You are too nice if you feel that way! I take the Darwinian approach where if someone wants to do something too far beyond their abilities and refuse to read the first post in the thread, then they deserve whatever they get.

Basically, let the stupid be weeded out without being saved by people who know better. Ignorance is always forgivable, but stupidity is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    You are too nice if you feel that way! I take the Darwinian approach where if someone wants to do something too far beyond their abilities and refuse to read the first post in the thread, then they deserve whatever they get.

Basically, let the stupid be weeded out without being saved by people who know better. Ignorance is always forgivable, but stupidity is not.

Agreed on all accounts, but, a minor change in /etc/fstab will protect your phone from (most) file system damage in the event of an "unscheduled" power down.

Get rid of all of the "data=writeback" mount options (I think there's only one, though on /var). ext3 will then fall back to its default of "data=ordered" which guarantees journal updates. Check the man page for full details, but, "writeback" means it gets to it when it gets to it, not right *now* like "ordered". This way in the event of an "unscheduled" power down (someone just rips the battery out with the OS up, or Rainbows from too low of voltage), the journal will be up-to-date and replay the proper data at next mount.

While you are there, stick "quiet" in the /media/internal mount options. For those like myself that back up their media partition with rsync, that will *quiet* all the permissions errors that rsync throws out because FAT* is dumb and doesn't support any real world permissions.

Linux is cool.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 01/06/2011 at 10:21 AM.
    what the best setting? using govnah
    Quote Originally Posted by 151jcolon View Post
    what the best setting? using govnah
    It's device specific for the most part.
    Anticipatory I/O scheduler and either Veno or Westwood TCP.
    Ummm... Mine's caught in a reboot loop with the update.

It went to rainbow after I had selected my old profile that has been rock solid for a week or so (VDD1: 60 56 53 / VDD2: 40 35 33). It rainbowed. After the reboot, I left it on your defaults and it rainbowed after about 15 seconds after hitting the "desktop". Now it's only getting part way through boot and rainbows.

I'll let it go a few more cycles and see what happens.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I'll let it go a few more cycles and see what happens.
    #######
    # EDIT:
    #
    # Attaching klog (I think I did it right...)
    #
    klog.zip
    #######

After 4 or 5 RSOD during boot, it finally decided to get to the desktop. I haven't tapped any of my profiles yet. It's on your defaults for now:

VDD1: 67 63 58
    VDD2: 43 38 36

I'll leave it sit like this for a while...

M.

P.S.
    I pulled the battery after the first RSOD, then it a least booted, but dumped. I pulled the battery, then it did the dump loops until now. I just thought I'd clarify a bit.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 01/12/2011 at 08:46 PM.
  13.    #213  
    After 4 or 5 RSOD during boot, it finally decided to get to the desktop. I haven't tapped any of my profiles yet. It's on your defaults for now:

I'll leave it sit like this for a while...

M.

P.S.
    I pulled the battery after the first RSOD, then it a least booted, but dumped. I pulled the battery, then it did the dump loops until now. I just thought I'd clarify a bit.
    The latest update fixed an array problem. so you'll have to recalibrate previous settings on your profiles.

It shouldn't bootloop with the defaults? Is it?
    Live free or DIE!
    The latest update fixed an array problem. so you'll have to recalibrate previous settings on your profiles.

It shouldn't bootloop with the defaults? Is it?

Yes it was. 4 or 5 times with the defaults (as far as I know - I couldn't get it! ).

1. After initial update, applied my old profile. RSOD. Pulled battery.
    2. Booted. Govnah was showed me your defaults and then RSOD. I did not change anything (I didn't have time to! ). Pulled battery.
    3. Dump loop (4 or 5) with RSOD, then magically finished booting on its own with no battery pull or anything. I didn't even plug it in.
    4. Govnah says your defaults and it's acting like nothing was ever wrong. I haven't changed anything yet, though.

Also, I attached a klog dump to the post above this. I think I did it right...

M.
  15.    #215  
    If all goes well with the -159 release I am going to put out a -RC1 build with updated voltages and ready to hit stable feed.
    Live free or DIE!
    Mine seems to be stuck in a reboot cycle as well. Since the previous poster said it took 5-6 cycles before the desktop came up I'm putting the battery back in and letting it go a little longer.
  17.    #217  
    Yes it was. 4 or 5 times with the defaults (as far as I know - I couldn't get it! ).

2. Booted. Govnah was showed me your defaults and then RSOD. I did not change anything (I didn't have time to! ). Pulled battery.
    3. Dump loop (4 or 5) with RSOD, then magically finished booting on its own with no battery pull or anything. I didn't even plug it in.
    4. Govnah says your defaults and it's acting like nothing was ever wrong. I haven't changed anything yet, though.

M.
    What voltages are you using? my Terminator Pre isnt doing this.
    Live free or DIE!
  18.    #218  

M.
    no klog attached?
    Live free or DIE!
  19.    #219  
    another build coming with higher voltages...
    Live free or DIE!
    no klog attached?

klog.zip

Right now, it's running your defaults, and it (I assume since I didn't get a chance to change anything) was running your defaults during the loop.

Right NOW:

M.