Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I've been running at the voltages shown below for a couple of days (kernel 1.4.5-148 now, before -146) with -apparently- no problems:

-vdd1: 56 48 36
    -vdd2: 40 35 30

The battery consumption is very moderate when idle; I use near a 50% from 8 to 22h, with data/wifi off unless needed (I'm not a heavy user).

It's a Palm Pre (silver button).

Thansk for your great work!!
    I don't know how to access the testing kernel feed in preware. I feel like a dumb *** for asking. But can I get some help?

-shag-
    Update: I've been using v.148 with the following voltages:

vdd1: 56 48 36
    vdd2: 42 37 34
    compcache 16

Battery consumption is very low when idle. Temperatures rarely go over 44 when using data (3g), and the phone is always extremely responsive.
    Sprint Palm Pre owner since June 09.

I picked the phone up and rooted it almost as soon as I got it. Worked pretty decent most of the time, but after a few months of tinkering I corrupted it somehow.

I went back to the factory defaults with the trusty ole WebOS doctor. Left it alone for a few months. So, let's see what else I can do to it now. I discover Preware "AWESOME", no more rooting. I loaded a crap load of apps changed themes and what not. Crash!! Theme won't uninstall properly after OTA updates. Boo!!!

Go back to square one and factory default settings...use the phone as a phone for a few months. Hmmm, lets see what's out there. WebOS Quick Install "SWEET", now I have Preware and WebOS Quick Install. Let's see what kind of changes we can make now. Do my first kernal upgrade, Uber running 500/1000 screenstate. Not to shabby...phone is much faster, but damn it gets hot. Oh well, I can still use it. I add more apps, patches, and such and it is chugging right along. Warning, warning, internal temp is high. Crap!!! Oh, and another OTA update. Uninstall everything or just doctor it? I guess I have to doctor it...those updates are sneaky. I didn't tell it to run over night.

Well, here we are almost 2011 and I'm getting kinda bored with the smallness of the phone, but I find myself picking it up again and making some tweaks on it. I won't lie, the phone has a lot of great features and you literally can't "brick" this thing. Trust me, I have thought a few times she wasn't gonna come back. Especially after loading the SR71 and seeing the Palm logo come on and looked like it was about to burn a hole in the screen. I guess my Pre "wears pink panties", oh well, lets drop down to something a little more tame.

AV8B Harrier II to the rescue! This kernal is a little less invasive and sounded like a winner to me. I think I'll give that a shot. Works like a champ! I'm sure that will end when the pesky 2.0 rollout happens, which I hope is soon.

I really want a new form factor WebOS phone with more power. So, all the wonderful developers here on the forum can bump the performance up as they have over the last year and a half. Keep up the great work Pre Central Forums and thanks to all the developers for all of their fine work.
    So, to bit.ly that:

1) You didn't uninstall all themes before an OTA Palm update, and you learned why you should.

2) You've got one of the Nancy Pres, and you learned to be a bit gentle with it.

3) Your Nancy Pre likes Harrier, and so do you.

4) You want a PDA sized thing to hold up to your ear instead of a nice compact device.

Is that a pretty accurate Cliff Notes version?

M.
    Yes, that is a pretty good summary.

I don't want to hold a HP/Palm Pad to my head, but I would like a phone that is a little bit larger.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnjmorris View Post
    I don't want to hold a HP/Palm Pad to my head, but I would like a phone that is a little bit larger.

Well, that part was just straight humor...

M.
    Well, considering that Unix has the Pre 2 to 1.6GHz right now, and will probably push it higher then that once he get other governors on it (like vdemand, hint hint), I'm pretty psyched for the webos-internals pre 2-ing service so I can use one of those. That would satisfy me until 2012.
    I'm maybe not your strongest beta tester here, but wanted to share my experience. I'm on a launch day Pre, and running Govnah (0.7.9) and this Kernel (1.4.5-148). Runs like a champ, better than Thunderchief... however, my Data connection no longer works. WiFi is fine, but although I show a 5 bar connection, all my apps are telling me I have no connection. Also, the "Ev" data icon turns off for 30 seconds to a minute, then comes back on, but will not connect. Does this sound like a voltage issue (haven't touched it beyond the install) or something else?
  10.    #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpco View Post
    I'm maybe not your strongest beta tester here, but wanted to share my experience. I'm on a launch day Pre, and running Govnah (0.7.9) and this Kernel (1.4.5-148). Runs like a champ, better than Thunderchief... however, my Data connection no longer works. WiFi is fine, but although I show a 5 bar connection, all my apps are telling me I have no connection. Also, the "Ev" data icon turns off for 30 seconds to a minute, then comes back on, but will not connect. Does this sound like a voltage issue (haven't touched it beyond the install) or something else?
    Try a battery pull, esp coming from F105.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Try a battery pull, esp coming from F105.
    Where battery pull means shutdown the device cleanly and orderly, and then remove the battery after it has shutdown. It does not mean cause a catastrophic power failure by ripping the battery out of a running device.

-- Rod
  12.    #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Where battery pull means shutdown the device cleanly and orderly, and then remove the battery after it has shutdown. It does not mean cause a catastrophic power failure by ripping the battery out of a running device.

-- Rod
    Of course. I shouldnt assume everyone knew what I meant .
    Live free or DIE!
    I had a similar issue with the latest version of this kernel yesterday on my Sprint Pre. After installation, I didn't notice any problems off the bat, until I got to work, where I only get a couple bars of a 1x Data connection. Usually the connection will be solid all day for the most part, but with this kernel, the 1x connection would be lost and would not return until after a device reset. I set the voltages back to the default using the 0 0 0 trick, but the problem kept appearing.

Last night, the Pre was on the touchstone, and Mode Switcher performed a device reset on schedule at 4 AM. When I woke up, the phone was stuck on the "Palm" loading screen and would not boot until after I put it in the freezer for 5 minutes. I removed the kernel and went back to UberKernel, with none of the problems re-appearing.

I will try again today with a battery removal and see if I can eliminate the problem, and then I will report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    Usually the connection will be solid all day for the most part, but with this kernel, the 1x connection would be lost and would not return until after a device reset.
    When was he last time you updated the PRL?

Last night, the Pre was on the touchstone, and Mode Switcher performed a device reset on schedule at 4 AM.
    WHY?!? The OS is then in a constant state of app cold starts slowing everything way down. How is the OS supposed to cache anything, and in turn speed things up, if you're constantly rebooting it?[/quote]

M.
    I try to update my networking settings monthly. Either way my connection returned to normal after restoring UK. I will update them now anyways just in case.

As far as rebooting, is 24h really often? Maybe it's a placebo but the phone used to feel bogged down until a reset, so I started rebooting daily.
    I try to update my networking settings monthly. Either way my connection returned to normal after restoring UK. I will update them now anyways just in case.
    Not the "Network Settings". The PRL. VERY important to have a current list of towers in your area.

If nothing else, take away from the rest of this rant that the PRL is one of the most important things we can keep up-to-date on our phones. I check it every couple weeks. Having a 100% current list of cell towers in the area is crucial to efficient operation. Current seems to be 60674 (Device Info --> More Info --> towards the bottom).

As far as rebooting, is 24h really often? Maybe it's a placebo but the phone used to feel bogged down until a reset, so I started rebooting daily.

Yes. If you don't want to consider that it's Linux under the hood which is an OS designed to be up for years at a time, then consider what I've already said. It never gets a chance to cache anything and is in a constant state of cold starts which keeps everything nice and slow and completely defeats the purpose of compcache (for one).

It's your phone, of course, but how often have you rebooted other phones you've had? Maybe they'd totally dump every couple months? In the 11 - 12 years I've been using Linux near full time, I've *had* to reboot it a handful of times at best. I choose to reboot it for monkeying with the kernel and things like that.

That's not saying that Luna is without issue and all apps running on the phone are perfectly written, I'm saying that the OS can't do what it's designed, from the ground up, to do if it's constantly being started from scratch every day.

</SOAPBOX>

M.
    Sorry for the confusion, I always update both Network Settings and PRL at the same time, I was just referring to them both as network settings.

Re: the rebooting issue, I don't disagree at all that linux itself rarely needs to be rebooted, but I don't know if I can say the same thing for luna, as you pointed out. As far as I'm concerned, it could be a placebo effect, or it could help, I don't know. I'd be interested if anyone knew for sure. Maybe I'll change it to every 3 days and see if I notice a difference.

Back to the kernel: I returned to work today with AV8B after performing a battery pull, and did not lose my 1x connection at any time, even after reducing the voltage settings again (to the slightly higher settings at the top of this page). I'll report if this behavior changes. For the record, I have an original Sprint Pre.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    sorry if this was already addressed but i was wondering if there was a 800mhz version of this kernal coming soon? my pre cant handle 1ghz very well unfortunately =P
    So, a question (or two) for ya unipsycho!

I've been pleasantly enjoying your overclocks for awhile now, and have been running a slightly voltage tweaked F104A (1.4.5-110) as my kernel. I've enjoyed it's 1.1ghz and what seems to be some of the best battery life/speed I've ever pulled out of my pre. It's comfortably webosmark'ing in the 625 range and feels snappy. In short, I'm happy.

My question is, which of your various kernels do -you- suggest as the one I should be running. I've been out of the loop a bit lately (busy with school/baby) so I haven't kept up with all the new developments. I'm intrigued by harrier but I figured I'd ask what you thought before I fiddle with what has lately been an exceptional user experience. Any specific recommendations?
    Last edited by ncinerate; 01/01/2011 at 11:51 PM.
    AV8B is great for speed and battery conservation on my pre-. I am glad unipsycho has hooked this one up. Keep up the good work Yo!