webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > Impostah
Impostah
Like Tree8Likes

Old 12/05/2010, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Developer

Impostah is a new WebOS Internals service and application, which gives you full access to your data stored on your device.

It is only available for webOS 2.0 and later (the concept makes no sense for webOS 1.4.5 or earlier).

It's mainly for our internal use at the moment, as we explore what's in all the new webOS 2.0 databases, activities and services. But we figured someone else might find it useful too, so we've released it into the testing feed.

Impostah is also able to provide Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2 devices - the details for that are in a different thread. Any questions or discussion about that procedure should occur in that thread, not this one.

The long term plan for the app is to provide a user-controlled (with explicit informed user consent) way to manage the access permissions of homebrew apps to services, databases, and other pieces of information on the device.

The concept of bypassing default security measures under the control of the user is a powerful one, but also a dangerous one. Rest assured that we are fully cognisant of the pitfalls that unsecured access to a service like this would create, and are architecting the service to exclude those problems (or at least make them under the direct informed control of the user).

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Last edited by rwhitby; 04/24/2011 at 04:53 AM.
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by crucian4, sledge007 and thanet_y like this.
Old 12/05/2010, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

that's really cool. Yet another reason why verizon can't get 2.0 out to us soon enough!

I can't wait to try this.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2010, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm seeing impostah in preware on my webos 1.4.5 device under unknown category with option to install. Did oil make the js convert already?

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
addiarmadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2010, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
I'm seeing impostah in preware on my webos 1.4.5 device under unknown category with option to install. Did oil make the js convert already?
I've adjusted the meta-data to mark it as MinWebOSVersion = 2.0.0

-- Rod
Old 12/07/2010, 05:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote "It is only available for webOS 2.0 and later (the concept makes no sense for webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)."

WHY??
tungsten c#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2010, 05:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
Quote "It is only available for webOS 2.0 and later (the concept makes no sense for webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)."

WHY??
The things that it displays do not exist in webOS versions earlier than 2.0 and the service bus permissions that it impersonates also do not exist in webOS versions earlier than 2.0 ...

What were you expecting it to do on webOS 1.4.5 ?

-- Rod
Old 12/07/2010, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
The things that it displays do not exist in webOS versions earlier than 2.0 and the service bus permissions that it impersonates also do not exist in webOS versions earlier than 2.0 ...

What were you expecting it to do on webOS 1.4.5 ?

-- Rod
to provide a user-controlled (with explicit informed user consent) way to manage the access permissions of homebrew apps to services, databases, and other pieces of information on the device.

I want access to my data bases etc. I want to be able to save my information (user created) on my on computer. I have been looking for a way to control my device. I would like to save my databases ie call log, phone book, notes, appointments etc so I can replaced it if need be. I will love a program like BACKUPMAN (IN palmOS) so I could restore a fiel, or files . I thought this program will do this.

Does it make sense what I want?
Thanked By: NoFaker76
Old 12/07/2010, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
to provide a user-controlled (with explicit informed user consent) way to manage the access permissions of homebrew apps to services, databases, and other pieces of information on the device.

I want access to my data bases etc. I want to be able to save my information (user created) on my on computer. I have been looking for a way to control my device. I would like to save my databases ie call log, phone book, notes, appointments etc so I can replaced it if need be. I will love a program like BACKUPMAN (IN palmOS) so I could restore a fiel, or files . I thought this program will do this.

Does it make sense what I want?
You want one of my other apps called Save/Restore, not Impostah.

-- Rod
Old 12/07/2010, 09:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

To be honest I do not really understand that application. How do you export the save/restore info to a computer so if my pre dies I can go buy a new one and restore my stuff back?

The search begin because I want to find specific files in my pre ie contact information, call log, Texting files etc and be able copy it or email it to an outside source so in the event my per dies I can copy it back into my pre.

thanks

Last edited by tungsten C; 12/07/2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12/07/2010, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

I will look into that. So if I purchase a new PRE I can download Save/restore and then copy my partition back into my new PRE and then restore it and be back in business like if nothing happened?

thanks
Old 12/07/2010, 09:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
I will look into that. So if I purchase a new PRE I can download Save/restore and then copy my partition back into my new PRE and then restore it and be back in business like if nothing happened?
For the specific set of applications and databases that it supports restore, yes.

But I would advise you read the relevant documentation and forum threads before using it.

-- Rod
Old 12/07/2010, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
For the specific set of applications and databases that it supports restore, yes.

But I would advise you read the relevant documentation and forum threads before using it.

-- Rod

Thank you
Old 12/07/2010, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

anyone know the name of the texting and contact files saved under save/restore?

thanks
Old 12/07/2010, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Developer

Please move all discussion of Save/Restore functionality to the Save/Restore thread. It is completely off-topic in this thread.

Impostah 0.2.2 is now in the testing feed with access to both persistent and temporary activities and also access to the keystore.

-- Rod
Old 03/02/2011, 10:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Is Impostah currently available in Preware feeds? (and if so, in which one?)
I recently updated my Pre- to webOS2.1, but don't see Impostah...
ddstc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2011, 11:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

So this app will eventually allow people to buy 2.0 apps like Music Remix and Voices?

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
schlk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/02/2011, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
sde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddstc95 View Post
Is Impostah currently available in Preware feeds? (and if so, in which one?)
I recently updated my Pre- to webOS2.1, but don't see Impostah...
This caught me out too, it's in the webos-internals test feed.

See here for further details.
sde is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: ddstc95
Old 03/02/2011, 03:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
So this app will eventually allow people to buy 2.0 apps like Music Remix and Voices?
No.

-- Rod
Old 03/31/2011, 03:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

ROD!!! You all are webOS gods!!! One of the only reasons that I was going to perform the comm board swap to get my profile on 2.1 with sprint was so I could get access to the official catalogue, well, with the latest version of impostah, you can just create a new palm profile right from the device... Um.. Uh.. Brilliant!!!! Thanks guys, donation commin your way again!
tp
thePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/31/2011, 03:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePretender View Post
ROD!!! You all are webOS gods!!! One of the only reasons that I was going to perform the comm board swap to get my profile on 2.1 with sprint was so I could get access to the official catalogue, well, with the latest version of impostah, you can just create a new palm profile right from the device... Um.. Uh.. Brilliant!!!! Thanks guys, donation commin your way again!
tp
Impostah does not do what you think it does. It does not change the device record for your device which determines your app catalog access no matter what palm profile is associated with that device record.

-- Rod

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0