Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Are those apps marked as available for the TouchPad in the app catalog?

Impostah gets around geo-restrictions, not device-restrictions.

-- Rod
    Ah, ok my mistake. Nope, they are not marked as TouchPad compatible. I misunderstood Dan from Hedami Music Remix when he posted in his thread he disabled compatibility but that if we wanted to install it anyway, just use Impostah. Thx for the response, Rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Ah, ok my mistake. Nope, they are not marked as TouchPad compatible. I misunderstood Dan from Hedami Music Remix when he posted in his thread he disabled compatibility but that if we wanted to install it anyway, just use Impostah. Thx for the response, Rod.
    you aren't the only one that misunderstood, from multiple posts I had gotten he same impression. Saw other posts of people using impostah to install apps on devices, I was unable to replicate. When ihave a moment I will try and post them here in conjunction with rods info. Some claims may have been in his thread but I think most of them were in others.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    you aren't the only one that misunderstood, from multiple posts I had gotten he same impression. Saw other posts of people using impostah to install apps on devices, I was unable to replicate. When ihave a moment I will try and post them here in conjunction with rods info. Some claims may have been in his thread but I think most of them were in others.
    It's always possible something has changed on the server too.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    that's what I had thought, just so much varied info out there right now, just trying to get it all together. Since we are all testing various instances, trying to combine info to remove variables.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Edit: well, I should say that screen in Impostah is not the way to get around device restrictions

-- Rod
    So how does one get around device/OS restrictions? I would like my *paid* apps back on 1.4.5

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Ha! Still kicking it old school with a Sprint Pre on a slick patched-out webOS 1.4.5. Long Live Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    So how does one get around device/OS restrictions? I would like my *paid* apps back on 1.4.5

You don't, You buy a supported phone, and login to your profile from a valid device/version combination

Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    You don't, You buy a supported phone, and login to your profile from a valid device/version combination

Here's the rub. I bought the apps on 1.4.5. They worked fine. They were upgraded through the app cat. They still worked fine on my Pre- after the upgrades. I had to doctor my phone. Now I cannot access the apps I paid for because they do not show in the 1.4.5 app catalog.

I understand that no one gives a rip about this, but I cannot see why this issue cannot be addressed. I have lost access to apps that I legitimately paid for and functioned fine on my phone. If you purchased something and suddenly had it jerked away, how would you deal with it?

I am not looking to cheat anyone. These apps are in my profile. Confirmed by HP Help. I just would like to be able to trick the system into letting me re-download them through my profile. But whatever, I get that this will likely not be addressed. If I don't ask, it will never happen.

Seems this issue falls in the limbo between app dev and HP. Dev is restricted to use certain parameters that exclude my device. HP does not "support" third party apps. So basically a lot of finger pointing with me looking on. Fine. Isn't this where homebrew steps in to "make it right"?

Ha! Still kicking it old school with a Sprint Pre on a slick patched-out webOS 1.4.5. Long Live Palm!
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    Here's the rub. I bought the apps on 1.4.5. They worked fine. They were upgraded through the app cat. They still worked fine on my Pre- after the upgrades. I had to doctor my phone. Now I cannot access the apps I paid for because they do not show in the 1.4.5 app catalog.

I understand that no one gives a rip about this, but I cannot see why this issue cannot be addressed. I have lost access to apps that I legitimately paid for and functioned fine on my phone. If you purchased something and suddenly had it jerked away, how would you deal with it?

I am not looking to cheat anyone. These apps are in my profile. Confirmed by HP Help. I just would like to be able to trick the system into letting me re-download them through my profile. But whatever, I get that this will likely not be addressed. If I don't ask, it will never happen.

Seems this issue falls in the limbo between app dev and HP. Dev is restricted to use certain parameters that exclude my device. HP does not "support" third party apps. So basically a lot of finger pointing with me looking on. Fine. Isn't this where homebrew steps in to "make it right"?
    Sounds like you should be addressing these concerns to HP and the app developers directly. It's their responsibility to make things right with you, not homebrew's responsibility.

Homebrew cannot change the set of apps to which the HP content distribution network allows you access.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Sounds like you should be addressing these concerns to HP and the app developers directly. It's their responsibility to make things right with you, not homebrew's responsibility.

Homebrew cannot change the set of apps to which the HP content distribution network allows you access.

-- Rod
    I did not mean to suggest any hint of responsibility on the part of homebrew. Rather, I was hoping for some magic.

I have attempted to address this with HP. Took nearly the entire conversation to get them to understand the issue. Frustrating. They suggested they would pass it on to "engineering".

Really, I do not expect an answer to this from either the app dev nor HP. Neither has anything to gain from it. In fact, HP will gain more by not addressing it. I only get my apps back when I buy a new device. Funny how that works.

Anyway, I will accept your reply as is. Was hoping homebrew could come through with another fix. This seemed like the right app thread to ask.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

There is an app available in US only called CBS Sports, which I'd like to use Impostah to get. Not looking for a free way out, want to BUY. Any ideas on app id ??
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    There is an app available in US only called CBS Sports, which I'd like to use Impostah to get. Not looking for a free way out, want to BUY. Any ideas on app id ??
    It's a 'free' app and the ID is: cbs.sports
    Last edited by Sanjay; 09/04/2011 at 05:46 AM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Would Impostah allow me to transfer profile data between 2 profiles. ie I have phone data on one profile and my TouchPad on another and want to transfer the phone to the same profile as the TP whilst retaining the phone's backup data?
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Would Impostah allow me to transfer profile data between 2 profiles. ie I have phone data on one profile and my TouchPad on another and want to transfer the phone to the same profile as the TP whilst retaining the phone's backup data?
    Probably.

-- Rod
    Probably.

-- Rod
    Any more hints? :-)
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Any more hints? :-)
    Should work by just using the activation scene to log into the new profile.

I never guarantee things like this though. Hence "probably".

-- Rod
    Should work by just using the activation scene to log into the new profile.

I never guarantee things like this though. Hence "probably".

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod. I'll let you know the result.
    Last edited by johncc; 08/31/2011 at 07:27 AM.
    Rod,

Excellent! Thanks very much. Another donation due.

The background. My Pre 3 inherited the Spanish Catalog from my original Pre-'s activation in Spain. I did not want to lose all of the data from the Pre's profile, but wanted both it and my TouchPad on the Australian Catalog, and had setup the Touchpad on a new profile with AU Catalog access.

In the Impostah - Activation scene, I just logged into my TouchPad's profile which has the AU Catalog access.

Then, in the Impostah - App Catlog scene, 'Check Access Country' now shows AU on my Pre 3.

Tried to purchase PHD, but since I had purchased in on the TP, it was offered for free.

Could not have been easier. The Backup program seemed to behave normally.

Obviously Impostah is a very powerful tool. I wish I understood more about it what it can do.

Thanks again Rod!
    Last edited by johncc; 08/31/2011 at 07:56 AM.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Hi..
    I am new entrant to WEB OS scenario,located in INDIA ,bought a palm PIXI PLUS buggered it without propper activation.Ofcourse being used as normal voice instrument.
    Now My new VEER is expected today, please guide me thro, propper methodology with wich WEB OS apps can be accesed.Also I wish to sync tthe same with TOUCH PAD.
    As the VEER instrument is required to be unlocked, I shall get the codes from Digitalunlock.com.Up to this stage I wont be havuing any problem........NOW
    Pl clarify the following
    1)should I first UNLOCK THE VEER USING DIGITALUNLOCK code??
    2 then go through the procedure
    Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)
    As INDIA is not Included , I shall Choose USA
    But when it comes to credit card WILL IT ANY TAKE INTERNATIONAL VISA/MASTER CARD
    or only USA based Credit card??(BILLING COUNTRY) Is there any options?? IF NO, probably have to request some of my friends from USA.
    KIndly clarify.I shall wait for your clarifications prior to activating my NEW VEER .

Thanks in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by thiyagy View Post
    I am new entrant to WEB OS scenario,located in INDIA ,bought a palm PIXI PLUS buggered it without propper activation.Ofcourse being used as normal voice instrument.
    Now My new VEER is expected today, please guide me thro, propper methodology with wich WEB OS apps can be accesed.Also I wish to sync tthe same with TOUCH PAD.
    Sorry to hear about the PIXI + and you not having access to any app catalog. Hopefully we can help you avoid the same for the Veer.

As the VEER instrument is required to be unlocked, I shall get the codes from Digitalunlock.com.Up to this stage I wont be havuing any problem........NOW
    Pl clarify the following
    1)should I first UNLOCK THE VEER USING DIGITALUNLOCK code??
    Yes, you can use the services of 'digitalunlock.com' to unlock the Veer. Infact you are in luck as they are currently offering a discount for the Veer codes. -> New Veer owners: get your $10 UNLOCK DISCOUNT HERE!

2. then go through the procedure
    Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)
    Yes, please follow the directions in the opening post of that thread, very carefully. -> Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)

As INDIA is not Included , I shall Choose USA
    DO NOT under any circumstances choose India, that is if you want to be able to download apps, even if only free apps. I personally would recommend choosing USA.

But when it comes to credit card WILL IT ANY TAKE INTERNATIONAL VISA/MASTER CARD
    or only USA based Credit card??(BILLING COUNTRY) Is there any options?? IF NO, probably have to request some of my friends from USA.
    NO credit card is required for just the activation/registration process. But yes, you will need a US credit card and US billing address if you wish to purchase paid apps from the US app catalog. But, you can worry about the credit card issue later and if your friends in the US can help, then this too should not be an issue.

PS: All this information and the process might seem overwhelming, but it really is not. As long as you follow the directions carefully, you shall have no issues. Hopefully!
    Last edited by Sanjay; 09/06/2011 at 02:25 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    It doesn't work for me on the Touchpad, I do get a profile with the country I want. But the app catalog stays locked to my real country
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast