Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Impostah does not do what you think it does. It does not change the device record for your device which determines your app catalog access no matter what palm profile is associated with that device record.

-- Rod
    thanks for the response Rod, I'm very curious about what it does then. My reason is this, I have an unlocked GSM Pre2 that I have an old SIM from t-mobile. The SIM is not active so I didn't have access to the palm app cat, nor the web/beta feeds from palm. I updated Impostah to the latest version and played with the palm profile section. I set the email address to a secondary gmail account that I have and viola! Access immediately to the apps I was looking to install..
    tp
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by thePretender View Post
    thanks for the response Rod, I'm very curious about what it does then. My reason is this, I have an unlocked GSM Pre2 that I have an old SIM from t-mobile. The SIM is not active so I didn't have access to the palm app cat, nor the web/beta feeds from palm. I updated Impostah to the latest version and played with the palm profile section. I set the email address to a secondary gmail account that I have and viola! Access immediately to the apps I was looking to install..
    tp
    Oh, yeah, it will do that, since you hadn't created a device record previously on that device by running through the first use procedure, so it didn't need to change the device record, it just needed to create one. Impostah can do that.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/31/2011 at 05:04 PM.
    After thorough testing of my 2.1.0-MetaDoctored PreMinus with flash enabled, I decided to switch from the temporary 2.1.0 Palm profile to my formerly used 1.4.5 profile. Backup of the old profile was switched off.

Instead of new doctoring, I decided to give impostah a trial and did the authentification from the device. Everything worked smoothly, with one exception. Everytime I start the app catalog, it refuses to load; except I repeat the authetification just a short time before starting the app catalog. Examination of the Palm profile details shows me that the expiration time of the token ist just one hour after authentification time. So it seems to be an issue of non sustained authentification.

Is this the intended behavior of "Authenticate from device"? Or is it a bug?

Kind regards

Carsten
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
    After thorough testing of my 2.1.0-MetaDoctored PreMinus with flash enabled, I decided to switch from the temporary 2.1.0 Palm profile to my formerly used 1.4.5 profile. Backup of the old profile was switched off.

Instead of new doctoring, I decided to give impostah a trial and did the authentification from the device. Everything worked smoothly, with one exception. Everytime I start the app catalog, it refuses to load; except I repeat the authetification just a short time before starting the app catalog. Examination of the Palm profile details shows me that the expiration time of the token ist just one hour after authentification time. So it seems to be an issue of non sustained authentification.

Kind regards

Carsten
    That's interesting new information, thanks.

-- Rod
    I've noticed the same thing. If I authenticate, it immediately shows up in device info and app cat works, but is gone after a while. No other long term effects so far.
  6.    #26  
    Examination of the Palm profile details shows me that the expiration time of the token ist just one hour after authentification time. So it seems to be an issue of non sustained authentification.

I have been able to replicate this behaviour. That explains some other time-related issues I was seeing while I was testing the restore behaviour.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7.    #27  

Kind regards

Carsten
    Fixed in 0.5.6, just released to the public feeds.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    So I there a way to get access to the App Catalog using Impostah if my device does not currently have access to it?

My Device Profile indicates:
    Pre 2 (NA UMTS)
    Global

I mean could I create a new one setting it to Pre 2 (EU UMTS) + AT&T or is this only meant to show those settings and not change them?
    Quote Originally Posted by soltrance View Post
    So I there a way to get access to the App Catalog using Impostah if my device does not currently have access to it?

Pre 2 (NA UMTS)
    Global

I mean could I create a new one setting it to Pre 2 (EU UMTS) + AT&T or is this only meant to show those settings and not change them?
    I second that, as someone living in a country where Pre isn't sold yet and suffering from the geo limitations...
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by soltrance View Post

Pre 2 (NA UMTS)
    Global

If the device has ever had a Palm profile on it, then the device record on the server cannot be changed.

-- Rod
  11.    #31  
    Impostah 0.7.0 is now in the testing feed, with a little something for folks who are afflicted by geo-restrictions

-- Rod
    Then what's the point of the Device Profile? How else could someone else use Impostah if they don't provide a palm profile to get the phone started in the first place.

ABOUT THE NEW UPDATE: how do I find out the IDs for the free apps?
    What's the ID for Facebook or Music Player Remix?
    Search for it in Preware and copy down the ID.
    Facebook's, for instance, is 'com.palm.app.facebook'.
    Yes I figured it out later.

THIS IS AWESOME!!! Specially for me that I'm lock out of the Catalog.
  15.    #35  
    Something else I'm working on for devices that have not been activated yet:

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/22/2011 at 10:43 PM.
  16.    #36  
    Note that you need to override the MCC and MNC to pre-activate for countries other than the US. At the moment this requires the Device Profile Service Override patch. I'll make this automatic in the activation scene in a later version.

-- Rod
  17.    #37  
    I've added the automatic MCC/MNC feature to Impostah 0.8.x, and posted the public procedure for Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2 devices in a different thread.

Any questions or discussion about that procedure should occur in that thread, not this one.

-- Rod
    "....This procedure is not for any other device. This procedure will not work if the device has previously had a Palm Profile on it at any time since it was manufactured...."

rod, w/ the change to the palm profile manager, where you can remove a device from a profile, how does that affect if at all, the instructions provided.

and why does doctoring not effect the device id(i think thats the name) after activiation.

heres my thought process, if you doctor a device that was previously activated, and you login into your palm profile and remove the association w/ said profile. and then use the bypass first use instructions,creating another profile, then use impostah would it work?

just a thought
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by retroblu View Post
    "....This procedure is not for any other device. This procedure will not work if the device has previously had a Palm Profile on it at any time since it was manufactured...."

rod, w/ the change to the palm profile manager, where you can remove a device from a profile, how does that affect if at all, the instructions provided.

and why does doctoring not effect the device id(i think thats the name) after activiation.

heres my thought process, if you doctor a device that was previously activated, and you login into your palm profile and remove the association w/ said profile. and then use the bypass first use instructions,creating another profile, then use impostah would it work?

just a thought
    It changes nothing about the fact that the first device activation sets the device record (which can never be changed) and determines app catalog access for any profile which has that device record attached.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Rod, thank you for creating this tool. I have a quick question about the "Activation" option in the most recent version of Impostah. My Pre+ is an unlocked GSM device, previously an O2 UK device before I unlocked it. When I doctored it to 2.1 it worked flawlessly, with the UK AppCat. Then suddenly it restarted itself and somehow changed to the German AppCat. At the time I didn't think much of it, however it does seem to be causing a problem with promo-codes now. The strange thing is that it doesn't display any German apps, it APPEARS to be the UK appcat but when I check the access country it shows up as DE.

So my question is by changing the activation to UK and signing in to my current Palm Profile, would there be any loss of data/resetting of my device?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast