1.    #1  
    Let me start by saying that I am not a very technical person, so forgive me if the solution is obvious!

I have downloaded the latest webos QI and have installed Preware to my Palm Pre. When I start Preware from the launcher the app starts and get a screen with the list of all Preware version updates, tap the 'continue' at the bottom of the screen and then get an error screen with a spinning circle in the background and message reading

Preware
    The service is not running. First try restarting Preware, or reboot your phone and try again.

Tap 'OK' and then get the file association screen, tap 'YES' and come to, what I guess is the main Preware screen but all options are greyed out and do nothing when tapped. I have tried 'Update Feeds' which brings up the same error message. Have rebooted the Pre- nothing, re-installed Preware - nothing!

I have searched the forums for an answer and all I seem to find are posts suggesting how GREAT Preware is... and I can't use it! Any help at all would be so apreciated.

Does my location affect anything - being in the U.K?

Thanks in advance.
    Is developer mode on?
    Load Preware and go to the app menu(top left dropdown), choose Manage feeds and turn all the feeds on except for the palm app catatog. Update feeds and you should be fine.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Is developer mode on?
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Load Preware and go to the app menu(top left dropdown), choose Manage feeds and turn all the feeds on except for the palm app catatog. Update feeds and you should be fine.
    when I try this i get the same message:

Preware
    The service is not running. First try restarting Preware, or reboot your phone and try again.

Then tap 'OK', then the Feeds page shows and is all empty?!
    Did you do a FULL restart of just a luna restart?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Did you do a FULL restart of just a luna restart?
    Excuse my ignorance but I dont understand either term. I did restart the phone after installing Preware from WebOSQI if that is a FULL restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by jagspur View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but I dont understand either term. I did restart the phone after installing Preware from WebOSQI if that is a FULL restart.
    No problem. A full restart will have three parts to it and takes longer than a luna restart. First, you will get a spinning circle thing for a few seconds, then the Palm logo will appear. After about a minute or so, the logo will start "flashing" then start up after another minute or so. Its a long boot time. A luna restart will just go straight to the "flashing" logo. But if you just held the power button down and chose restart device, It was probably a full restart. It seems like you did everything right. I'm sorry, I have no other ideas.
  8.    #8  
    Is there a possibility the webOSQI is dodgy? - got it from the 'WebOS Quick Install v3.14' thread.

One thing i have noticed is that all the guides on how to install Preware say that on the webOSQI to click the 'blue down arrow' button below the plus and minus buttons - but on my webOSQI the button below the plus and minus is like a picture of an external drive with green arrow pointing to it. Don't know if this makes any difference, as I said i'm realativley dim when it comes to technical things!
    Is there a possibility the webOSQI is dodgy? - got it from the 'WebOS Quick Install v3.14' thread.

One thing i have noticed is that all the guides on how to install Preware say that on the webOSQI to click the 'blue down arrow' button below the plus and minus buttons - but on my webOSQI the button below the plus and minus is like a picture of an external drive with green arrow pointing to it. Don't know if this makes any difference, as I said i'm realativley dim when it comes to technical things!
    You got Preware on your phone so I dont really think it would have anything to do with quick install. BUT, you can always try using a different version and see if that helps.

Start WebOS quick install, then click on the Help menu item, then click on "about". Then tell me what version it says you are running.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  11.    #11  
    looks like this may be the problem it says 2.6 - i tried to find webOS from another source yesterday and must of installed that one instead of the 3.14 version I downloaded today - what an *****!! Could this be the reason?
    You can also install Preware with the standalone installer. You can get it here: http://install.preware.org/
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Start WebOS quick install, then click on the Help menu item, then click on "about". Then tell me what version it says you are running.
    Works a treat now! Thank you very much!!!
    Awesome. Enjoy Preware. There's a bunch of great stuff in there.
    You are welcome. I thought the Preware error you were getting was from an older version and then when you described what WoSQI looked like, I was certain you had an old version of that.

Happy Homebrewing!
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    cant get preware to download
    typeError: cannot read property 'length' of undefined

this is the error that I am getting. Everyone has said to just manage the feeds and fine the one that is broken but there are not feeds in the menu anymore and I if I try to re-enter the feeds it still gives me the same error. I have tried to un-install and re-install preware but it keeps the same settings.

someone please help me.
    be sure you are trying to download it to your PC, not your phone. sorry if that seems to basic, but it's worth asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    be sure you are trying to download it to your PC, not your phone. sorry if that seems to basic, but it's worth asking.
    I have the latest version download and it still keeps the error.