Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I'm not great with computers so there is a real possibility I did something wrong. But after many hours and much frustration I was finally able to get Preware installed...or so I thought.

The first thing I tried to do was change the battery bar to %. That change, along with others resulted in the following error: Unable to Process Patch...Incorrect Chunk: Chunk content doesn't match the content (or something like that)

Then I unplugged my phone from the computer and had these problems on the phone itself: The service is not running. First try restarting Preware, or reboot your phone and try again. I did restart my phone before getting this message.

I also don't know what to do about the screen that says:
    File Type Association
    Preware is not associated to open application packages (ipk. files) from email or web. Would you like to add preware to the association list for .ipk?

Make active handler?

To anyone who can help, thanks for your time and patience. I really appreciate it!
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    The last question is asking you that if you get a ipk file via email, or some other means, besides Preware, would you like Preware to be the default program for that file type, and install them for you. A rather handy function, I have used it once or twice.

On the other issues, not sure. Would be handy to post exactly what the error wording was (if you have it), there might be something in the error that would help someone else help you.

Hope you can get it fixed.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks. I was able to get Luna Manager to my phone. It gave me an error as well about the Package Manager Service not running. Did you remember to install it? I did not install that. There was no option to install it. Only Preware. Went back and looked again, don't see Package Manager Service anywhere. The error message word for word that I get when trying tweaks is:

ERROR: Unable to process patch to /user/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs

difflib.PatchFailedException:Incorrect Chunk: the chunk content doesn't match the target
    Are you running WebOS version 1.4.5?
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Yes. 1.4.5
    try updating feeds in prefs drop down menu
    Try uninstalling Preware and reinstalling it. Then try again. When you install a patch you may have to install other patches as well as that patch (lsdiff, gnu). Make sure to have your phone connected to the internet (wifi, 3g, ect) while installing as well. After installing Preware via webOS QI, disconnect your phone, and then restart it. Open up Preware afterwards and it should update the feeds automatically. Find a patch, install it, and see if an error comes up. If so, try Emergency Patch Recovery which can help. Once Preware has loaded the feeds successfully, go to Available Packages>Linux Application>All and scroll down to Emergyency Patch Recovery. This will delete extra files associated with patches and restore previous settings before the patch.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    try updating feeds in prefs drop down menu
    Thanks for the reply. I tried this. It says Service is not running.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Try uninstalling Preware and reinstalling it. Then try again. When you install a patch you may have to install other patches as well as that patch (lsdiff, gnu). Make sure to have your phone connected to the internet (wifi, 3g, ect) while installing as well. After installing Preware via webOS QI, disconnect your phone, and then restart it. Open up Preware afterwards and it should update the feeds automatically. Find a patch, install it, and see if an error comes up. If so, try Emergency Patch Recovery which can help. Once Preware has loaded the feeds successfully, go to Available Packages>Linux Application>All and scroll down to Emergyency Patch Recovery. This will delete extra files associated with patches and restore previous settings before the patch.
    Wow. Where to start...I don't know how to uninstall. I suppose I could run a search and figure it out. Thing is, I went through so much just trying to get it installed in the first place that I wouldn't know where to start to do it again. I watched youtube videos and read a tutorial here in precentral and they all led me in different directions. My computer never showed what I was told I would see. I'm not even sure how I ended up getting to where I could install Preware. Which is probably why it wasn't done right...haha.

I know I sound like an ***** here. Maybe I should just uninstall and forget it. I've had the phone for 6 months without it and everything was ok. I just stumbled across others talking about what they were doing with their phones and thought I'd give it a try.

I appreciate your advice, but I don't know what most of that stuff means let alone how to make it happen. Everybody makes this seem so easy, yet when I try anything it's total choas. I guess I'll play around a little more and see what happens.
    You can uninstall an app by holding the orange/gray key and tapping the icon of the program, then tap Delete.

You can add the patch you mentioned and many other popular ones from WebOS Quick Install as well. Just go to the Tweaks menu item (from the top menu bar).

I'm not sure what instructions you have read or how old they are but HERE is the current information for installing Preware.

It really does open up a whole new world for you WebOS device. If you continue to have trouble you might consider posting your location to see if someone from the forums will meet you at a coffee shop or some other high traffic public place (if you are both over 18) and help you out.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks pastorrich. After thinking about your suggestions, I have two issues/questions.

1. I read and have been told that I need to create a new folder (which I did named Pre) and that WebOS QI and Doctor each need to be saved to that folder. Is this correct?

2. I ended up using the instructions in the link you provided. If you'll notice, there is no mention of downloading and installing the Package Manager. Do I not need to do that?

PS - After submitting this post I went and saved my location per your advice. Thanks again
    Last edited by mdelacoma; 11/17/2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: add location per member's request
    Quote Originally Posted by mdelacoma View Post
    Thanks pastorrich. After thinking about your suggestions, I have two issues/questions.

1. I read and have been told that I need to create a new folder (which I did named Pre) and that WebOS QI and Doctor each need to be saved to that folder. Is this correct?

2. I ended up using the instructions in the link you provided. If you'll notice, there is no mention of downloading and installing the Package Manager. Do I not need to do that?

PS - After submitting this post I went and saved my location per your advice. Thanks again
    1. Yes that is correct, also if the Doctor downloaded with a .zip extension, change it to a .jar extension. It is not a zip file.

2. No, the current version of Preware has the package manager service baked in.

I am not near Indianna but hopefully someone who can assist you is, if you need it.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    OK. So, I uninstalled Preware from my phone. And I discovered that Doctor was saved in Pictures. So I moved it to my Pre folder along with WebOS QI. Now what? Do I click on Download from the same place I originally did? What happens since I already have the QI and Doctor?
    if you have them (doctor and webos QI ) in the same folder , just plug in your phone making sure its in dev mode then hit the just charge on the phone when it pops up . then open webOS QI and hit the little blue arrow and then find preware and install . you also could open( click on file) the file menu at the top of quick install and then options and then reinstall novacom driver just to be safe , before you try installing preware.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks Shadavis08. So I followed your advice and reinstalled Preware. But I'm getting the same message. When I tap on the preware icon I get an error screen with the spinning circle in the background and on top of that at the bottom of the screen it says:

Preware
    The service is not running. First try restarting Preware, or reboot your phone and try again.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Then after tapping OK, I get a screen that says:

FileType Association
    Preware is not associated to open application packages (.ipk files) from email or web.
    Would you like to add preware to the association list for .ipk?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks Shadavis08. So I followed your advice and reinstalled Preware. But I'm getting the same message. When I tap on the preware icon I get an error screen with the spinning circle in the background and on top of that at the bottom of the screen it says:

Preware
    The service is not running. First try restarting Preware, or reboot your phone and try again.
    I have read through threads searching for answers and I still have no idea what to do. Obviously I can restart the phone, but how do I restart Preware?

Does anybody know why I'm getting this message? Or how to get Preware to run? The instructions seem so easy, yet nothing I do seems to work out...

Unfortunately I'm getting close to uninstalling Preware and giving up.

Also, If anybody lives anywhere near Evansville, IN please let me know. I would love to know how all this works.

Thanks
    I have read through threads searching for answers and I still have no idea what to do. Obviously I can restart the phone, but how do I restart Preware?

Does anybody know why I'm getting this message? Or how to get Preware to run? The instructions seem so easy, yet nothing I do seems to work out...

Also, If anybody lives anywhere near Evansville, IN please let me know. I would love to know how all this works.

Thanks
    I too am having the same problem - on Preware start I get the list of all Preware version updates then the dreaded error screen with the spinning circle in the background and message saying:

Preware
    The service is not running. First try restarting Preware, or reboot your phone and try again...................AHAHAHAHAH!

I have searched the forums for answer and all I seem to find are posts suggesting how GREAT Preware is... and I can't use it Any help would be sooo apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    It sounds like you have an old version of Preware which likely came from an old version of WebOS Quick Install.

Launch WebOS Quick Install and click on the help menu item, then on About. It should tell you what version you have. It should be 3.14
    If you are able to still open Preware on your phone, You can open it and go to installed packages. There you will find everything you have installed including apps and patches. click on any one and you will have the option to remove it. A luna restart will be needed in order to take affect. Now you said you tried making more than one change. The change the battery bar to % patch along with others. Some patches conflict with others that may be making similar changes. In order to avoid this, you can do a luna restart after every installation when it asks. This will cause any patches you are trying to install to pop up the error when it conflicts with others and you can easily know what patches are conflicting instead of installing a bunch and not knowing where to begin.