Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I try following the instructions on webos internals but I just cant get all these steps. If anyone has any spare time and they like doing youtube videos it would be great to have a step by step. You can learn almost anything about webos from youtube except this.
    Thanks in advance
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    I'm not sure this would make it any easier, you will still have to follow all of the same steps and I think it would be harder to see on a video than it would be to just read the instructions. That's just my opinion, but maybe someone will take the time to make it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    I try following the instructions on webos internals but I just cant get all these steps. If anyone has any spare time and they like doing youtube videos it would be great to have a step by step. You can learn almost anything about webos from youtube except this.
    Thanks in advance
    I believe many would agree on a better illustration on how to use the meta-doctor. I would recommend an easier step by step procedure.
  4.    #4  
    I can follow almost any instruction with my pre/pixi but I just cant seem to follow the process of using the METADOCTOR. Maybe that means I should not use it but I would love to learn. What better way than a step by step on youtube
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Hopefully, the developer might consider making one. (Just for you)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I believe many would agree on a better illustration on how to use the meta-doctor. I would recommend an easier step by step procedure.
    The steps on WebOS Internals are as simple as it gets...

I guess actually seeing a video would make it easier though...
    Follow the sticky. That's as easy as it's gonna get, and frankly it doesn't need to get any simpler.
    Simplifying in this respect would result in oversimplifying, and leaving info out, which would ultimately lead to a multitude of unnecessary questions.

The sticky is complete AS IS.

If you can't do it, it's not for you. I suck at math. You can't be brilliant at everything.
  8.    #8  
    thanks for the response but I, in all due respect, disagree with you 100%. But thanks again for your input.
    I am sure many forum members would find this helpful...including me.

Gutfromnam wrote:

If you can't do it, it's not for you. I suck at math. You can't be brilliant at everything.

I am sure there are youtube videos to help you with your math woes
    Last edited by stu5797; 11/10/2010 at 05:01 PM.
    I'll look at making a simpler set of instructions when I get to my computer later tonight...
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'll look at making a simpler set of instructions when I get to my computer later tonight...
    Thank You. Many including myself would be very grateful.
    The MetaDoctor is like a swiss army knife.

You don't want a video on the swiss army knife. You want a video for each of the 500 different things (from opening a beer bottle to doing open heart surgery) that you can do with the swiss army knife.

Each of those 500 videos can be done by someone who has done that procedure once. The developers are focused on adding more tools to the swiss army knife, or making is sharper or stronger.

So don't ask the developers to create these videos, go and create them yourselves. There is plenty of credit to go around - go and grab some of it and make a name for yourself in the community ...

-- Rod
    Just wanted to pop in to say my guide is almost finished. I'm actually making a new Sprint MetaDoctor just to make sure my guide is accurate lol... I'll post my instructions soon.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Note that the FrankenDoctor work has added about 8 new undocumented MetaDoctor features. Please don't include any of these in how-to videos.

If it doesn't have documentation in the Makefile, then you are not meant to use it.

-- Rod
    My guide primarily focuses on bypassing the First Use app, enabling Dev Mode, and auto-installing Preware since that is what most people use MetaDoctor for.

BTW, for using a Pre without a service contract... My Pre is functional with only bypassing the First Use app. Is there any need to Bypass Activation as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    My guide primarily focuses on bypassing the First Use app, enabling Dev Mode, and auto-installing Preware since that is what most people use MetaDoctor for.

BTW, for using a Pre without a service contract... My Pre is functional with only bypassing the First Use app. Is there any need to Bypass Activation as well?
    If I want to use a GSM device without a SIM, I need the bypass activation feature enabled. I also use it for the Sprint Devices that I have in Australia that can purchase apps from the app catalogue over wifi.

Folks need to realise that the MetaDoctor is something I wrote for the various things I need to do (and continues to be extended for that purpose). The fact that others find parts of it useful is a secondary consideration to me, and I don't take all that much notice of what other people need to use it for. Other people handle that better than I could.

Another thing that those asking for videos need to realise is that I don't develop on Windows, but it seems that the people who have problems with the MetaDoctor are those that attempt it on windows. If they used Linux instead they would find it much easier, and a video about how to use the MetaDoctor on Linux or MacOSX is not going to help them much.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 11/10/2010 at 11:32 PM.
    Ok, got my guide written up... I've been trying to post it on the WebOS Internals wiki page, but apparently wikis use some weird formatting methods that I've never used before lol.. I'm giving up for tonight since it's late and I'm tired. I'll try again tomorrow night...
    <edit>
    since it's not a video, I guess you guys wouldn't be interested.

Anyone else wanna make a video?
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 11/11/2010 at 01:09 AM.
    Great guide...

Whoooooooaaa..... What happened??

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    I'll repost the guide once I get back to my computer later today...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast