Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'll repost the guide once I get back to my computer later today...
    '

hey Garrett, can you change the link in your signature? it links to a closed thread. thanks!

here is the new link: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-devices.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    '

hey Garrett, can you change the link in your signature? it links to a closed thread. thanks!

here is the new link: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-devices.html
    Sure! Just tried doing it from my Pre but the other URLs in my sig vanished when I tried to edit. It'll have to wait til I get back to my computer...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Sure! Just tried doing it from my Pre but the other URLs in my sig vanished when I tried to edit. It'll have to wait til I get back to my computer...
    That's bc you're using the mobile site... Use full site

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    That's bc you're using the mobile site... Use full site

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    I did use the full site lol. When I tried to edit my sig, the other links I have in there weren't showing up...
    I have the 1.4 OS and Everything works Except the Cricket 3g internet. For now I can only get wifi. I think I need to get the 1.3 OS? Is there a way to do that without reflashing the phone? Please Help.

This is my first post. Im sure its probably in the wrong spot so Im sorry. I dont have a clue what Im doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    I have the 1.4 OS and Everything works Except the Cricket 3g internet. For now I can only get wifi. I think I need to get the 1.3 OS? Is there a way to do that without reflashing the phone? Please Help.

This is my first post. Im sure its probably in the wrong spot so Im sorry. I dont have a clue what Im doing.
    what do you need ???
  7.    #27  
    anyone up for making a video???
  8.    #28  
    Did Garrett post his new steps to install metadr somewhere?
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    Did Garrett post his new steps to install metadr somewhere?
    Oh yea. forgot to post em heh. I'll post them shortly. Sorry about that
  10.    #30  
    Thanks Garrett look forward to them!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    I'll post it here in like 5 mins. Gotta reboot into my Ubuntu install real quick lol
    I've seen so many people in the Pre|Central forums that get very confused with the MetaDoctor process. I decided to write my own guide using layman's terms to try to make this process easier for the average user. I hope this makes more sense to you guys!

For this guide, I'm assuming you are using WUBI. For more info on setting this up, click this link: Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

First, let's get Java installed in your Ubuntu!
    1. In the top right of your screen, you will see a menu named 'Applications'. Open it and go to 'Ubuntu Software Center'.
    2. When it opens, your cursor should already be in the Search box. If not, the Search box is in the top left of the application. Type "java 6 runtime".
    3. The first search result should be 'OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime. Click the 'Install' button and you'll be done!

Next, we'll be jumping into the Terminal window!
    Alright, Terminal doesn't have the same friendly-looking interface you're probably used to. It's basically a window full of text. Don't be afraid though! Making the MetaDoctor is easier than you may be thinking! To open the Terminal window, open up the 'Applications' menu again. Then go to Accessories > Terminal.

Time to install some more software! We'll be installing Git, Patch, and the MetaDoctor. To do this, we'll need to enter some commands into the Terminal window.

Type the following lines into the Terminal window one at a time. Press the 'Enter' key after each line. (Note: When you enter the first command, Terminal may ask you for your password. Enter the same password you use to log in to Ubuntu.)

Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    sudo apt-get install patch
    Next, we'll use Terminal to make a new folder in the 'meta-doctor' folder that was created in the previous step. Type this into the Terminal window (again, press 'Enter' after each line)

Code:
    cd meta-doctor
    mkdir downloads
    The 'cd' command stands for "change directory". It is used to change what folder you are working in (in this case, the 'meta-doctor' folder). The 'mkdir' command is used to create a folder. We just used it to make a folder named "downloads"...

Downloading the stock WebOS Doctor!
    For the next part of the process, it will be easier to use the File Browser. The File Browser is the equivalent of Windows' 'Windows Explorer'. It lets you access all the files on your computer. To open it and get to the right directory, open the 'Places' menu (right next to that 'Applications' menu we've used already) and click 'Home Folder'. You should be in a folder that has the same name as your Ubuntu username. From here, go into the 'meta-doctor' folder. Right-click and select 'Create Folder', name it "downloads". (Make sure it is all in lower case!)

Now, we'll need to download the stock WebOS Doctor for your phone:
    1. Go here: Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    2. Find the correct WebOS Doctor for your phone and download it.
    3. Once it is downloaded, move the file to the 'downloads' folder you just made.
    4. Right-click the Doctor and click 'Rename...'.
    5. Add the version number to the end of the file name. Example: When I downloaded my 1.4.5 Sprint WebOS Doctor, it was named "webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar". I renamed it to "webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.5.jar"

Time to customize your new WebOS Doctor!
    Head back to the 'meta-doctor' folder in the File Browser. You will see a file in there that is named "Makefile". Right-click it and choose "Open with gedit". In this file, you will see some explanations of the different options you have. This may be a bit overwhelming for you, but don't worry! For this guide, I'm assuming your primary goal is to make a WebOS Doctor that will let you use your Pre/Pixi without a service contract. Scroll down until you see this:

Code:
    # Uncomment the features that you wish to enable below:
    # BYPASS_ACTIVATION     = 1
    # BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP  = 1
    # ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    # AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE  = 1
    # ENABLE_TESTING_FEEDS  = 1
    # INSTALL_SSH_AUTH_KEYS = 1
    # INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES = 1
    # DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    # DISABLE_MODEM_UPDATE  = 1
    # ENABLE_USB_NETWORKING = 1
    # REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK  = 1
    # REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK    = 1
    # INCREASE_VAR_SPACE    = 1
    # CHANGE_KEYBOARD_TYPE  = z
    # ADD_EXT3FS_PARTITION  = 2GB
    Remove the "#" symbol in front of 'BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP'. Feel free to also remove the "#" symbols in front of 'ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE' and 'AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE'. Doing so will automatically put your phone into Dev Mode and install Preware once your modified WebOS Doctor has finished running. If you are using a GSM phone and want to use it without a SIM card, you will need to also remove the "#" in front of 'BYPASS_ACTIVATION'. That should be good for now, so save and then close the 'gedit' window.

Time to build the MetaDoctor!
    To do so, you're going to have to choose ONE of the following lines to enter:
    Code:
    make DEVICE=pre all-wr
    make DEVICE=preplus all-wr
    make DEVICE=pixiplus all-wr
    make DEVICE=pre all-sprint
    make DEVICE=pixi all-sprint
    make DEVICE=pre all-bellmo
    make DEVICE=pre all-telcel
    make DEVICE=preplus all-verizonwireless
    make DEVICE=pixiplus all-verizonwireless
    make DEVICE=preplus all-att
    make DEVICE=pixiplus all-att
    Note : use make DEVICE=palm_smartphone_type all-wr for O2 Germany, UK and Ireland / Movistar Spain / SFR France

I'm sure you'll be able to pick the right line to enter... Then are all pretty self-explanatory. Again, only pick ONE line! If your Terminal window is still up, it should still be in the 'meta-doctor' folder. If you closed it, open it back up and type the following command to get back to the 'meta-doctor' folder: cd meta-doctor

Once you are ready, type in the line you picked in the above step into the Terminal. Press 'Enter' and it will build the MetaDoctor! If everything was set up correctly, you should run into no problems.

You can find your freshly-modded WebOS Doctor in the new 'build' folder that was created in your 'meta-doctor' folder! You can access your Windows file system by going to Places > Computer > File System > host. This will allow you to transfer your new Doctor from Ubuntu back to Windows where you can run it.

Terminal telling you to download WebOS Doctor?
    If the WebOS Doctor you downloaded way back in the beginning is named incorrectly, you may get an error something like this: "Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.5.jar" To fix this, open your 'downloads' folder again and rename the Doctor to what the error message suggested. Back in Terminal, type the following:

Code:
    make clobber
    Running that command will clean up any remnants from the previous error. Next, retype the line you picked above to build the MetaDoctor.
    I hope it makes more sense than the instructions over at WebOS Internals... I'll try to answer any questions you may have.
    is it just me or is this thread like dejavu???...
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    is it just me or is this thread like dejavu???...
    Definitely not a dejavu.
  17.    #37  
    A youtube video would still be awesome!
  18.    #38  
    Still hoping for a youtube video!
  19.    #39  
    youtube video step by step how to meat dr. for Chrismas?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Well I must say...that guide was 1000 times easier to follow than all the rest. Thank you for taking the time to write it down lamens style...
    On to the good stuff, I'm getting stuck at the makefile portion ending in a error 9. It does seem to make a new doctor though and its about 204mb. Another issue I have is with my share folder, they don't seem to talk between linux and win7 so I can see if the new doctor worked...
    New question, does anyone just have the already fixed doctor for Sprint to just download? Wow, that would be great....
    I have learned a lot though.
    Thank you Garrett92C!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast