Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Ashi, join us in IRC.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    Thanks Rod, got it flashed. Here is my klog:
    There was a bug in the CUSTOM_KERNEL_DIR - grab the updated Makefile and rebuild.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I'll be free in a few hours. Thanks.
    So I understand it's an frakendoctor a mixture of both. But exactly what properties will this bring that 1.4.5 doesn't have. I'm wondering like would it bring GPU acceleration, applications, etc.?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by xadjustx View Post
    So I understand it's an frakendoctor a mixture of both. But exactly what properties will this bring that 1.4.5 doesn't have. I'm wondering like would it bring GPU acceleration, applications, etc.?
    The intent at the moment is to create a 2.0.0 userspace running on a 1.4.5 bootloader, kernel and kernel modules.

The interface between graphics libraries and graphics kernel modules may well be the weak point if the graphics kernel module API has changed or if the toolchain change has an effect on API compatibility.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The intent at the moment is to create a 2.0.0 userspace running on a 1.4.5 bootloader, kernel and kernel modules.

The interface between graphics libraries and graphics kernel modules may well be the weak point if the graphics kernel module API has changed or if the toolchain change has an effect on API compatibility.

-- Rod
    Not to thread crap rod.. Just curious... What's the point of all this? With the official 2.0 update around the corner.. Would this allow users to stay on 1.4.5 and get the benefits of 2.0? Thus allowing classic users to continue using classic?

Or is there other nefarious reasons you have planned

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    What's the point of all this?
    I'm not a contributor to this but I have a strong suspicion that Sprint and Verizon (but especially sprint) have no interest in testing webOS releases for what have now become "legacy" devices (Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+.) I encourage all of the efforts of the WebOS Internals team to try and give us "old timers" a hope with 2.0.
    You guys never cease to amaze me (and frighten me a little).
    Quote Originally Posted by wotan View Post
    I'm not a contributor to this but I have a strong suspicion that Sprint and Verizon (but especially sprint) have no interest in testing webOS releases for what have now become "legacy" devices (Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+.) I encourage all of the efforts of the WebOS Internals team to try and give us "old timers" a hope with 2.0.
    I disagree .. If anything vzw has less incentive.. As sprint will tought that there's barely a diff.

10.    #30  
    The kernel init failure is due to the tcpostflash.sh script doing a readlink on the busybox dependencies in the context of the old installer initramfs.

The toolchain and libc version has changed, so the script was not copying the libs into the boot partition for the environment before pivot_root runs.

We copied the libs in manually, and the device now boots, but LunaSysMgr segfaults before starting the UI.

I suspect it's due to an API change in the SGX graphics kernel drivers.

-- Rod
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Just curious... What's the point of all this?
    The pursuit of fundamental knowledge never needs an explanation.

-- Rod

-- Rod
    I wish I could thanks this Infinity times.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    You guys never cease to amaze me (and frighten me a little).
    +1 and amen!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

-- Rod
    That is the best answer I never thought of..!! Great work.. I'll attempt helping I have a broken pre here.. Do I need to see the screen to try this?

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts

-- Rod
    i hope u didnt trademark this comment............cause im using from now on!!
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    The kernel init failure is due to the tcpostflash.sh script doing a readlink on the busybox dependencies in the context of the old installer initramfs.

The toolchain and libc version has changed, so the script was not copying the libs into the boot partition for the environment before pivot_root runs.

We copied the libs in manually, and the device now boots, but LunaSysMgr segfaults before starting the UI.

I suspect it's due to an API change in the SGX graphics kernel drivers.

-- Rod
    So, we may not advance too much until Palm posts their open source packages (inc. kernel sources)?

Just checked Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm and no, no webOS 2.0.0 yet
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    So, we may not advance too much until Palm posts their open source packages (inc. kernel sources)?

Just checked Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm and no, no webOS 2.0.0 yet
    Yeah, that's what it's looking like at the moment.

It seems there has been major toolchain changes, so I'm going to try recompiling the 1.4.5 kernel source with the new toolchain (cs09q1), but I don't hold out much hope.

As expected, the problem seems to be somewhere in the graphics libraries being loaded by LunaSysMgr and the binary kernel modules that they use.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    This was rather cool to me. Luna won't come up yet, but I can connect via novaterm. When I did a proper shutdown now -h, I got the pretty new shutdown screen on an old Sprint Pre: (Good night!)

This was rather cool to me. Luna won't come up yet, but I can connect via novaterm. When I did a proper shutdown now -h, I got the pretty new shutdown screen on an old Sprint Pre: (Good night!)
    That's almost biblical.
  20.    #40  
    Excellent - you've been able to replicate my results.

The instructions in the first post must be fairly accurate and reproducible.

-- Rod
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast