Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by skatterbrane View Post
    We tried doing a reset over the phone and it didn't work. In the upper left hand corner, I don't even have the ability to drop down the menu anymore.

I tried using the webos doctor and after I hook the phone up it goes thru the 'accepting terms' yada, yada, then tells me to hook up my phone using the usb cord and there's no next button available. My phone was already hooked up. The screen just sits there.
    Seriously, are you following anything we are saying on here. Device menu is an application on your phone launcher. You can find it easier by typing in device menu on your phone's keypad... then just follow instructions. Edit: Please read the instructions on how to perform a webos doctor.
  2.    #22  
    sorry, Rush - I'm just in a hurry to get to the Sprint store and kind of in panic mode. If the phone is replaceable, I'm trying to make sure that I don't do anything to screw that up.

I found the device menu (didn't know I could just type that in and probably missed it in the thread because many people replied while I was typing my next question and I didn't see their posts).

I tapped to remove all apps and the phone restarted. This will take care of any patches that I had downloaded through Preware?
    sorry, Rush - I'm just in a hurry to get to the Sprint store and kind of in panic mode. If the phone is replaceable, I'm trying to make sure that I don't do anything to screw that up.

I found the device menu (didn't know I could just type that in and probably missed it in the thread because many people replied while I was typing my next question and I didn't see their posts).

I tapped to remove all apps and the phone restarted. This will take care of any patches that I had downloaded through Preware?
    That should do it.. Check to see that all modifications are gone, and the phone is back to factory default. If everything seems fine then just return the device.

Best regards.
  4.    #24  
    Rush, Wushu and the rest - thanks for all your help! Here's what happened after I deleted all apps using the reset feature:

When the phone booted back up, I had a blue screen that said something to the effect of "phone inoperable". Great. So I took it to the Sprint store, told the lady that the phone said "phone offline" and that I called Sprint and we tried to reset the phone. Then I held up the phone and showed her the blue screen with the message. (I left out everything in between) She nodded and went to the back and got us a new one. No deductible or anything.

Apparently, I bricked it? Just guessing...

Anyway, all is well now and just wanted to add that this is greatest forum/community I've ever come across. You guys are the best!
    it wasnt bricked at all it can be fixed but glad you got a new one !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Gonna throw another one out there; similar circumstances BUT EPR AND Preware is not recognizing the installed patches. This is driving me nuts, is my only option the doctor???
    EPR removes all patches.
    <<Thread moved/renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    wow you went through a lot. Everytime i've gone to the sprint store with a replacement, I had forgotten to remove preware, and they replaced it without even thinking about it.
    Since Palm likes homebrew, Preware is okay.

Palm doesn't like overclocking. And since Preware doesn't necessarily mean overclocking, what's Sprint gonna do?
    Ignore all posts above this one, they are incomplete.

The only way to truly clear all signs of homebrew from a device is to both a FULL ERASE and WEBOS DOCTOR (in that order). This will also remove all of *YOUR* data from the device as well, so make sure you have good backups before you do so.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    wow you went through a lot. Everytime i've gone to the sprint store with a replacement, I had forgotten to remove preware, and they replaced it without even thinking about it.
    Me, too.

Of course, when I want in with some minor issues shortly after I bought it, the sales rep suggested a bunch of homebrew stuff I should try, so I knew the shop wouldn't freak out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

The only way to truly clear all signs of homebrew from a device is to both a FULL ERASE and WEBOS DOCTOR (in that order). This will also remove all of *YOUR* data from the device as well, so make sure you have good backups before you do so.

-- Rod
    Does the Doctor alone get rid of all patches?

I did that once, and still had 9 launcher pages when my phone came back.
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    Does the Doctor alone get rid of all patches?

I did that once, and still had 9 launcher pages when my phone came back.
    Your Palm profile stores the number of launcher pages.

The patch just allows you to create and delete them.

Since your palm profile will not be active on the device after a full erase and webos doctor when you take it back to the store, the person behind the counter who is trying to deceive you about a lack of warranty will have no grounds to do so.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Ah thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Most definitely agree with webOS guru here. In addition, I also do a ##786# MSL reset to remove the activation programming on the phone.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Rush, Wushu and the rest - thanks for all your help! Here's what happened after I deleted all apps using the reset feature:

When the phone booted back up, I had a blue screen that said something to the effect of "phone inoperable". Great. So I took it to the Sprint store, told the lady that the phone said "phone offline" and that I called Sprint and we tried to reset the phone. Then I held up the phone and showed her the blue screen with the message. (I left out everything in between) She nodded and went to the back and got us a new one. No deductible or anything.

Anyway, all is well now and just wanted to add that this is greatest forum/community I've ever come across. You guys are the best!
    Did you have insurance, was it within the 30 day return period, or did they just replace your phone no questions asked?

Doing a webOS Doctor in recovery mode would have fixed it. It was not bricked, just temporarily unbootable.

-- Rod
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12