1.    #1  
    Hi everyone I am new to Palm but so far I am very happy with it. I have been reading about the advantages of installing preware but cannot seem to be able to nail it. I have webOS version 1.4.5
    I installed WebOS Quick Install v3.14 but continue getting an error message. These are the steps I am following.

Installing Preware with WebOS Quick Install
    You can use version 3.14 or later of WebOS Quick Install to install Preware directly from the WebOS Internals feed.
    Latest Version of WebOS Quick Install available here: WebOS Quick Install v3.14
    1. Install the required Software
    1. Click here to verify that you have the latest java installed on your computer and update if needed
    2. Click here to download the current webOS Doctor for your carrier and phone in a subdirectory your will remember (maybe "Palm"?). If you already have it, skip this step.
     Do not run the webOS Doctor
    3. Click Here to download the latest version of WebOS Quick Install
    2. Put your device in Developer Mode
    3. Connect your device to your computer with the USB cable, and select "Just Charge" (do not select USB Drive)
    4. Run WebOS Quick Install
    5. Click the third button on the right (Blue Down Arrow)
    6. Choose WebOS Internals Feed (Pre) or WebOS Internals Feed (Pixi) from the drop-down list at the top.
    7. Select Preware from the list.
    8. Click Download.
    9. Click Close.
    10. Click Install.

Can anybody help me?
    What's the error you're getting?
    In WebOS Quick Install, go to File > Options. Click the 'Attempt Novacom (re)installation' button.

See if that helps.

Also, have you put your phone in Developer Mode? On the home screen, type "webos20090606" (don't type the quotes). A Developer Mode Icon will pop up. Tap it. Set the switch to 'On'. Your phone will ask you to reboot; Do so. Now your phone is in Developer Mode, which is required to use WebOS Quick Install.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Also, have you put your phone in Developer Mode?
    I bet that's the solution.

I keep forgetting to ask -- can I continue to use PreWare with Developer Mode turned off, or must I leave it on for PreWare (especially its patching ability) to function?
    Last edited by tbetz; 10/10/2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Clean up quote
    Quote Originally Posted by tbetz View Post
    I bet that's the solution.

I keep forgetting to ask -- can I continue to use PreWare with Developer Mode turned off, or must I leave it on for PreWare (especially its patching ability) to function?
    Once you've installed Preware, you can turn it off.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    i do everything it says to do... but when it comes to click install i dont know why it says that my phone aint connected... and i really need help on that one...?
    if its saying phone is not connected you need to turn on dev mode, when dev mode is on you will see the off to the right when its off you will see the on to the left. this did confuse me the first time i tried to do this. also if you have used webos before then get this message it means you need to restart novacom driver in services on your computer.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    There's an app for $0.99 called Preware Documentation, pretty much gives a step by step walkthrough on how to install Preware correctly(as well as how to overclock your phone). It is a good deal considering what you get out of it, and it supports the guy who made it all possible, should any of the above not be enough to get you going
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel