Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If anyone that has made patches for the App Catalog can look into this please let us know if it may be possible.

How it works...

This could work like Preware where it would have a menu option to insert new feed web addresses. This will allow for us (users) to input the Preware feeds into the normal App Catalog & or App Catalog Updates app and allow for viewing and/or downloading of applications and/or their updates when in the normal Palm App Catalog.

or...

If a patch file that would can be made that will insert URL's into the App Catalog application via whatever file the Catalog reads for URL's of updates. So we can get all updates from the Updates app.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Have you thought about just using preware as your main app catalog? You are able to add the normal App Catalog feed to prewares feeds under "manage Feeds". Only problem is it can get a little overwhelming and take MUCH longer to load due to the large number of apps it has to pull.

Or are you looking to keep the layout of the normal app catalog?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark.Funk View Post
    Have you thought about just using preware as your main app catalog? You are able to add the normal App Catalog feed to prewares feeds under "manage Feeds". Only problem is it can get a little overwhelming and take MUCH longer to load due to the large number of apps it has to pull.

Or are you looking to keep the layout of the normal app catalog?
    It would just be nice to not need a 3rd party software to view everything available. Don't get me wrong I applaud WebOS Internals for all they have done and will do for all of us.

& yeah I know about all of the feeds... My Preware currently has every feed full, beta, testing "etc" available to the world.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    It would just be nice to not need a 3rd party software to view everything available.
    While I'm sure it would be convenient, it's just not possible. Many apps and all patches available through Preware will not make it past the submission process for the App Catalog due to undocumented API and core OS modification.

Is it really a problem?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    While I'm sure it would be convenient, it's just not possible. Many apps and all patches available through Preware will not make it past the submission process for the App Catalog due to undocumented API and core OS modification.

Is it really a problem?
    I didn't say have Palm approve everything... I am talking about injecting the Preware Applications feed URL "not the patches" into the App Catalog application... Not sending everything to Palm/HP for approval.
    Last edited by demetry14; 10/01/2010 at 10:49 AM.

I wish I could give you a yes or no answer but I can't. Guess you're just going to have to rename Preware to App Catalog and pretend
  7.    #7  
    Is the WeOS-Internals team working on a version of Preware that can/will be accepted into the Palm App Catalog?

If not, why not?

Please do not answer if you are not part of the WebOS-Internals Team.

Thanks Much!!!
    this wont happen ..... ever ! preware includes stuff palm and other networks do not want on palm phones enmass !! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Preware fails the content requirements for the 3 Palm App Catalog feeds (App Catalog, Beta, Web) because it allows for installation of programs via mechanisms other than the official Palm conduits. Preware also allows homebrew applications to do anything on your device that they please, which fails the automated security checks in the catalog submission process.

There's a bright line of security and capability that stuff in the app catalog feeds cannot cross. Preware intentionally crosses that line, and is therefore incompatible with the app catalog content requirements.

-- Rod
    I found this with a simple search.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    this wont happen ..... ever ! preware includes stuff palm and other networks do not want on palm phones enmass !! lol
    So... Your saying, it is impossible to be working on a version that can/will be accepted in the App Catalog?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I found this with a simple search.
    That says noting that references what I stated in the original thread. I stated "working on a version that can/will be accepted".
    Last edited by demetry14; 10/03/2010 at 07:00 PM.

That says noting that references what I stated in the original thread. I stated "working on a version that can/will be accepted".

Hahaha, sudoer thanked you for an off topic response.
    I think your missing the point of Preware. If webOS internals made an app to comply with palm requirements then it would no longer be Preware.
    Out of curiosity, what do you think this appp cat acceptable 'version' would be able to do?

Pip
    They would need to remove the ability to install things on your phone. What would be left?
    I asked a similar question and this was the ans I got.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is not.

You can get the ipkg from http://get.preware.org/ (or down in the feeds at http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/....) but you will need an advanced homebrew installer to be able to install it.

Your choices of on-device advanced homebrew installers are Preware and Internalz. You can install either of them using the other, but you have to have one of them installed first, and the prerequisites to install either of them are identical.

So it's a catch-22, which is the reason why Palm is not concerned about the security aspects of Preware and homebrew, because you cannot break the Palm-liable app catalog security model unless you connect your device to a host computer and consciously install an advanced homebrew installer.

If this was to change, it would be a massive security vulnerability, and would need to be fixed by Palm (we would be the first to point it out to them). So it's not going to happen.

-- Rod
    You should try asking in the Preware 1.x thread I'm mobile now so don't have a link

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    I think your missing the point of Preware. If webOS internals made an app to comply with palm requirements then it would no longer be Preware.
    Out of curiosity, what do you think this appp cat acceptable 'version' would be able to do?

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    They would need to remove the ability to install things on your phone. What would be left?
    Please make your own thread if you would like those questions answered. I simply asked if they were working on something, not for another thread to be ruined by people wanting to start arguments.

Please make your own thread if you would like those questions answered. I simply asked if they were working on something, not for another thread to be ruined by people wanting to start arguments.
    Sorry, demetry. You don't get to decide who responds to your post.
    My question was about a web link not app catalog( iasked if it's possible)

17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I asked a similar question and this was the ans I got.

You should try asking in the Preware 1.x thread I'm mobile now so don't have a link

That's good information... "On the currently available Preware".

Sorry if you can't handle a simple discussion lol. I definitely wasn't "wanting to start arguments" or ruin your thread. Learn to relax a bit. Guess I'm not allowed to post in your thread anymore, so I'll be going.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Sorry, demetry. You don't get to decide who responds to your post.
    Your right, but as a member I have the right to point them elsewhere. Do I not?

my apologies , but it still wont happen ! have a great night ! they would need to remove to much stuff , there would'nt be enough left to have much of an app lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast